ADVERTISEMENT

The Mississippi Miracle

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001

Mississippi has discovered making sure 3rd and 4th graders can read is important. Who knew? Mississippi has gone from laughing stock to average in elementary school reading scores in just a few years. . The trend is up. I’m old enough to remember the “Mississippi is the armpit of the nation” discussions we have had here. No more. Mississippi elementary school reading requirements will do more for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity for African Americans than all the DEI, officers and statements at fancy pants universities put together.

I’ve said quality education is the key to equity and full participation in our society and its benefits. Reading is vital for education.

Way to go Mississippi.

Mississippi has discovered making sure 3rd and 4th graders can read is important. Who knew? Mississippi has gone from laughing stock to average in elementary school reading scores in just a few years. . The trend is up. I’m old enough to remember the “Mississippi is the armpit of the nation” discussions we have had here. No more. Mississippi elementary school reading requirements will do more for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity for African Americans than all the DEI, officers and statements at fancy pants universities put together.

I’ve said quality education is the key to equity and full participation in our society and its benefits. Reading is vital for education.

Way to go Mississippi.
I don't disagree with most of what you said here, but I do think there is a 'both/and' argument to be made about bolstering early childhood education while also maintaining and strengthening DEI efforts in higher ed. Being proficient in reading, writing and arithmetic is only the start to addressing unintended prejudices we all have.

I don't disagree with most of what you said here, but I do think there is a 'both/and' argument to be made about bolstering early childhood education while also maintaining and strengthening DEI efforts in higher ed. Being proficient in reading, writing and arithmetic is only the start to addressing unintended prejudices we all have.

The dei part was nothing but a weak attempt at politicizing a success story.

This is a great success story that required: 1) dedicated teachers; and 2) funding.

Teaching is a difficult, often thankless occupation with high burnout. Teachers, like those involved here, deserve our respect and gratitude.

As the article notes, reading skills enhance employment opportunities and help break the cycle of generational poverty. The ability to read, though, doesn't by itself change perceptions. Prejudices don't immediately disappear, and they're not always unintended. I've provided a couple of recent, glaring examples below.

Regardless of the perception by some that DEI instruction is "woke," it is essential in order for businesses to comply with the law (i.e. Title VII) and avoid costly litigation.

Way to go Mississippi.
When did states start going away from phonics?

That goes all the way back to the development of the Dick & Jane books. Whole language vs. Phonics.

It shouldn’t be an either/ or. Many good teachers and systems incorporated both.
We did both. Started phonics in the 2nd grade. I don't remember it extending into third grade. My memory is just associating it with my 2nd grade teacher.

Does anyone remember the phonics sticks? One of my first real hatreds in life.

In fourth grade my daughter was struggling in her journey to learn how to read.

My wife and I met with her grade school principal concerning the seemingly conflicting approaches to learning as the approach kept shifting from phonics to sight words.

I opened the conversation with the principal by saying, "I am confused".

The principal responded, "I think we have found the problem".

Hearing this response, I chuckled. The principal and I became great friends for several years.

The meeting with the principal and the importance of learning to read struck a cord with my daughter. From that time on she independently has become an avid reader. Ever since the meeting, you will seldom see her without a book whenever she has spare time.

By the way, spare time is scarce for her these days as her husband's business was going South, so she took over in spite of knowing little about the business. The husband now stays home and according to Yelp her customers love her. In asking about her success, she says she runs it by the book. In my view, her success is due to being smart, willing to learn, and having a strong determination to succeed.

In my view, her success is due to being smart, willing to learn, and having a strong determination to succeed.
These things can’t be over-estimated. We can’t coach smart, but we can address willingness to learn and determination to succeed. In a number of different ways, I think public education fails at both.

Last edited:
In fourth grade my daughter was struggling in her journey to learn how to read.

My wife and I met with her grade school principal concerning the seemingly conflicting approaches to learning as the approach kept shifting from phonics to sight words.

I opened the conversation with the principal by saying, "I am confused".

The principal responded, "I think we have found the problem".

Hearing this response, I chuckled. The principal and I became great friends for several years.

The meeting with the principal and the importance of learning to read struck a cord with my daughter. From that time on she independently has become an avid reader. Ever since the meeting, you will seldom see her without a book whenever she has spare time.

By the way, spare time is scarce for her these days as her husband's business was going South, so she took over in spite of knowing little about the business. The husband now stays home and according to Yelp her customers love her. In asking about her success, she says she runs it by the book. In my view, her success is due to being smart, willing to learn, and having a strong determination to succeed.
When did they go away from phonics???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT