ADVERTISEMENT

The End of the American Dream

I used to measure happiness by money and wealth, I admit.

Then I had grandchildren. That really IS "living the dream". It's impossible to explain to anyone who doesn't have them. I know I didn't appreciate grandchildren until I had my own.

It's like you realize your mortality and the future in them.
And in awards, honors, commendations, and scalps!!!! But I hear ya on the grandkids thing. I’m basically like a grandfather to my son with his lovely two young newlywed parents.

It’ll be interesting. These batteries are heavy. And the SUVs are big and heavy and fast. That cybertruck is 7,000 pounds and goes 0-60 in 2 plus seconds with weird edges. Pedestrian would be toast
Not just pedestrians. It's like an arms race to make the heaviest vehicles on the road. And give them to people who have no concept of that kind of acceleration and the force generated by that acceleration.

And in awards, honors, commendations, and scalps!!!! But I hear ya on the grandkids thing. I’m basically like a grandfather to my son with his lovely two young newlywed parents.

Then I had grandchildren. That really IS "living the dream". It's impossible to explain to anyone who doesn't have them. I know I didn't appreciate grandchildren until I had my own.

It's like you realize your mortality and the future in them.
My cute little grandson became a man this year playing high school varsity hockey. The hitting, the trash talk, and the serious coaching is all adult stuff. Enjoy the cuteness while you can. But he still hugs is grandma. I get fist bumps.

My cute little grandson became a man this year playing high school varsity hockey. The hitting, the trash talk, and the serious coaching is all adult stuff. Enjoy the cuteness while you can. But he still hugs is grandma. I get fist bumps.
really dumb question but they check in high school?

Not just pedestrians. It's like an arms race to make the heaviest vehicles on the road. And give them to people who have no concept of that kind of acceleration and the force generated by that acceleration.
I read an article about parking garages potentially failing if it is full of EV’s. A very remote possibility, but still possible.

Thing would get pulled by this BRZ with off road tires. Hilarious. Probably b/c off road vehicles get harder to build when they weigh nearly 4 tons

you changed your post. you wrote gr86. i had never heard of that and looked it up. toyota gr 86. looks like a neat little car. i never see any

really dumb question but they check in high school?
Oh yes. And it is brutal. The high school games I've seen, most of the kids are flying around the ice just looking to hit someone. Much faster, much more violent than football. My poor little guy doesn't stand a chance. 😨

• Wow
Reactions: DANC and larsIU
Oh yes. And it is brutal. The high school games I've seen, most of the kids are flying around the ice just looking to hit someone. Much faster, much more violent than football. My poor little guy doesn't stand a chance. 😨
hmmmm. does he want to play? like really into it or just whatever? if he's really into it htat sucks. just have to impart to him that he has to out work everyone by becoming the best skater, stick handler, etc. then when he fills out a little later he'll be ahead of the game

Reactions: dr.jb
Boy that one is true. I was always impressed at how smart most of my girls were and some of the projects they did, internships, etc. But they’d have me proofread some of their papers and I was almost always stunned at the grammar and spelling mistakes , and just basic components of introductory paragraphs, summarizing, etc.
Hmmm...... weren't you a teacher when these girls were in elementary and high school?

Whose fault do you think it is they can't write?

No shit. I'm not talking about a couple months or a couple years. It'll be a little longer than that.
I hope you live long enough to see your SS cut because SS will run out of money. (kidding - we're the same age)

you changed your post. you wrote gr86. i had never heard of that and looked it up. toyota gr 86. looks like a neat little car. i never see any
The GR86 and BRZ are basically the same car. One is a Toyota (gr86) the other is a Subaru (BRZ). 200 HP rear wheel drive, manual transmission, weight under 3k lbs. What's not to like?

Ok, now we've hit on an important topic.

Which truck do I need for the Mountain? Old '70s era pick up truck? Newer?
toyota Tacoma. Always.

Hmmm...... weren't you a teacher when these girls were in elementary and high school?

Whose fault do you think it is they can't write?
Teachers don't stand a chance against social media. We're doomed.

It’ll be interesting. These batteries are heavy. And the SUVs are big and heavy and fast. That cybertruck is 7,000 pounds and goes 0-60 in 2 plus seconds with weird edges. Pedestrian would be toast
My son-in-law bought a Tesla X - an SUV, basically. It was in Atlanta and I was going to the IU-Auburn game, so I offered to save him the $600 shipping fee and drive it back to Charlotte from Atlanta.

I was nervous the whole damn way. lol Had to charge up twice. 45 minutes the first time and about 15 the second (I could have made it home but didn't want to arrive with 7% charge).

It's a pretty slick car - identifies charging station and warns you when it's at about 20%.

I would seriously consider one for around town, but anything more than an hour away, I wouldn't want to use it. And that's in fairly warm weather.

I can see where it would become mainly a city car - and that's fine. But gas vehicles aren't going away.

By the way, do you know how many charging stations the government has installed with the massive infrastructure bill? A big zero. We're going to need a helluva lot more infrastructure for EVs to become anything more than a novelty.

The GR86 and BRZ are basically the same car. One is a Toyota (gr86) the other is a Subaru (BRZ). 200 HP rear wheel drive, manual transmission, weight under 3k lbs. What's not to like?

toyota Tacoma. Always.

Teachers don't stand a chance against social media. We're doomed.
I don't think social media is the reason they're not being taught writing skills.

that's a boy racer
And is far more than 99% of people (even enthusiasts) will ever need. I laugh at people owning a 480 hp Mustang. Like, what you gonna do with that Cletus? Besides kill somebody or wrap it around a telephone pole.

Look up canyon driving or backroad driving. It's more fun than going in a straight line and you can actually use the full potential of the car like a gr86.

Edit: I did it for you. that MIata is maybe 150hp and weights about 2200 lbs.

• Love
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
hmmmm. does he want to play? like really into it or just whatever? if he's really into it htat sucks. just have to impart to him that he has to out work everyone by becoming the best skater, stick handler, etc. then when he fills out a little later he'll be ahead of the game
He plays club now. Lowest level. Started lated. Loves it and desperately wants to play high school next year (he'll get cut, I have no doubt).

He's passable on his team now (U14). I just don't know how he's going to play with these high school kids. Hell, he has a kid on his team now, his age, that is 5'10" and 190 lbs. My son is 5' 1", 100 lbs. And no, he's not a fast skater or great stickhandler. He can pass, knows where to be, but is an average, at best, athlete. (Got his mom's genes for speed, hand/eye coordination, but at least he's got my brain).

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and larsIU
He plays club now. Lowest level. Started lated. Loves it and desperately wants to play high school next year (he'll get cut, I have no doubt).

He's passable on his team now (U14). I just don't know how he's going to play with these high school kids. Hell, he has a kid on his team now, his age, that is 5'10" and 190 lbs. My son is 5' 1", 100 lbs. And no, he's not a fast skater or great stickhandler. He can pass, knows where to be, but is an average, at best, athlete. (Got his mom's genes for speed, hand/eye coordination, but at least he's got my brain).

so i do have advice borne of much experience and many years of coaching. you need to have a sit down before high school tryouts and tell him it is very unlikely he is going to make it. he's probably going to get cut. but if you love it and are as desperate as you say you can't control size but you can control stickhandling and skating. so get in the basemetn and instead of playing xbox practice stickhandling nonstop. every free moment you don't have homework you practice. and every chance you have to skate, skate. bc you can overcome physical limitations by building pure skill. americans have a bias for size. my old teammates and i used to joke that the greatest midfield combo ever of iniesta and xavi wouldn't have started for any of the acc schools. but in time that skill just breaks through. set a target of junior year to make the team. have to be patient. not easy when you're a kid

Last edited:
The speed of play is remarkable.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
so i do have advice borne of much experience and many years of coaching. you need to have a sit down before high school tryouts and tell him it is very unlikely he is going to make it. he's probably going to get cut. but if you love it and are as desperate as you say you can't control size but you can control stickhandling and skating. so get in the basemetn and instead of playing xbox practice stickhandling nonstop. every free moment you don't have homework you practice. and every chance you have to skate, skate. bc you can overcome physical limitations by building pure skill. americans have a bias for size. my old teammates and i used to joke that the greatest midfield combo ever of iniesta and xavi wouldn't have started for any of the acc schools. but in time that skill just breaks through. set a target of junior year to make the team. have to be patient. not easy when you're a kid
Appreciate it. Yeah, I spent a past life coaching a lot of baseball.

I've been very upfront with him, from the day he started hockey (late at age 10). I've made him a shooting tarp and have synthetic ice in the garage, put up a hockey rink in my backyard for him to skate on in the winter (if it's ever cold enough--this weather sucks). I get him to extra skates, sign him up for every extra practice session, etc. Even signed him up to ref games to get him extra ice time (which means I have to drive him all over to do that, too) I've pretty much turned over all my free time to figuring out ways for him to practice/get better.

I've already told him there is no guarantee and they cut on the high school club. As we get closer to the tryout dates in July/August, I'm going to make it clearer. Had this same thing last year with jr. high basketball. But at least with this, if he doesn't make his high school club, he can play with the team he's on now all the way through high school.

The trick is to get him to treat math the same way. Kid is a natural at that, two grade levels ahead, but says he doesn't like it (he thinks its nerdy. And chicks do dig the athletes over the mathletes at that age. Unlike now :) ).

Appreciate it. Yeah, I spent a past life coaching a lot of baseball.

I've been very upfront with him, from the day he started hockey (late at age 10). I've made him a shooting tarp and have synthetic ice in the garage, put up a hockey rink in my backyard for him to skate on in the winter (if it's ever cold enough--this weather sucks). I get him to extra skates, sign him up for every extra practice session, etc. Even signed him up to ref games to get him extra ice time (which means I have to drive him all over to do that, too) I've pretty much turned over all my free time to figuring out ways for him to practice/get better.

I've already told him there is no guarantee and they cut on the high school club. As we get closer to the tryout dates in July/August, I'm going to make it clearer. Had this same thing last year with jr. high basketball. But at least with this, if he doesn't make his high school club, he can play with the team he's on now all the way through high school.

The trick is to get him to treat math the same way. Kid is a natural at that, two grade levels ahead, but says he doesn't like it (he thinks its nerdy. And chicks do dig the athletes over the mathletes at that age. Unlike now :) ).
i'm not worried about him. i think it's impt to have something to be great at, or even good. and math is something great to be good at. he'll appreciate that as he gets older and find that chicks do dig smarts. as long as you have something!

I hope its got a flux capacitor in it so I can go back in time.
qQb4Oe3.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Baller23Boogie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT