ADVERTISEMENT

700,000+ reasons why we can’t overcome race problems

"Rufo contends that such “Bellian” — my word — pessimism, indeed irrational pessimism, one might say, is the unsurprising result of how CRT’s fixation with racial identity politics spread beyond the universities during the Obama years. “The capture of the New York Times was a pivotal turn in the long march through the institutions,” Rufo writes, echoing Batya Ungar-Sargon’s perceptive 2021 book Bad News: How Woke Media Is Undermining Democracy.

Indeed, when it comes to race, Rufo memorably contends, the Times “accomplished what the Weather Underground and the Black Panther Party could not: persuade millions of Americans that the United States is a white supremacist nation that systematically exploits blacks and other minorities.” Rhetorical exaggeration? Not according to Pew, but then Rufo also points out how Derrick Bell himself once incisively noted “how easy it is to frighten whites.”

Liberal frightening is not just about race, it extends to climate and Republicans.

And yet the message and points she chooses to focus on are diametrically opposed to her life story.

I don't like the Obamas. I don't hold them in the high esteem that so many of you apparently do. I think they are the equivalent of a preacher espousing purity culture while having a side chick. The actions don't match the message.
i
And they are highly mercenary with their preaching.

Well, I confess to allowing myself to be sidetracked into a thread about MO.
Allowing yourself to be sidetracked into a thread???

You started the thread and took a shot at MO in the first post!

Michelle’s “achievement “ is marrying Barack

Read her bio and rethink that. You don't mean it and got caught up in arguing your point. Proof? Apply the same standard you are using here with MO to the women in your life. Would you talk this way about your daughter or wife?

Paying MO to $700k to talk to other elites about racism highlights that.
You keep saying that MO is being paid to talk about race and racism. But the article you posted says: "According to the event's webpage, the ex-attorney was set to speak to some 5,000 attendees on how to 'push past self-doubt while discussing the importance of inclusivity and diversity.'
From the website itself: "Drawing on her experiences as an accomplished attorney, bestselling author, Grammy winner, loving wife and mother, and former First Lady of the United States, Mrs. Obama will encourage the audience to embrace their unique strengths and push past self-doubt while discussing the importance of inclusivity and diversity."

Remember, she's being paid to talk to a bunch of Euro startups. So she's doing the 'hoo-ha' motivational speaking thing of "pushing past self-doubt" and combining that with "hey, get people with different viewpoints (which for a DEI person means different life experiences) to really supercharge your thinking in the company" trope. It's well-known and probably has very little to do with racism (in fact, I'd wager she focuses more on women v. men).

Why do you assume she's going there to do the Whiteness talk or the "de-colonize" version of DEI? I think you're wrongly conflating her previously expressed views with those of Robin DiAngelo and Ibram Kendi.

I personally think the DEI biz is a lot like you describe, but you keep assuming this is what MO talked about. Maybe she did. Have a transcript? (I've looked and can't find one.)

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosboot
No. I took a shot at elites lecturing people about racism and getting $700k/hour. MO was just the vehicle, but I acknowledge going down that nonproductive rabbit hole. I tried to correct that.
OK, on your more substantive, non-MO points, I agree that the corporate DEI trainings, etc. are by elites for elites and are probably counter-productive, at least as we've documented the worst of them throughout this message board.

I also agree that the whole DEI thing is a sideshow to the real solutions regarding racial disparities in America--which I think should focus on (1) relieving/combatting poverty, (2) parenting (which need not be blameworthy but can be a result of circumstances), and (3) education.

Lol. So Michelle isn’t qualified to speak about racial issues? Do you know where she grew up? Because she has privilege and money now doesn’t disqualify her from discussing race. That’s just silly.
I think the biggest reason we can't overcome race problems is that people like you think Michelle Obama getting paid is bad for race relations.
Th temporal relationship between the Obama’s occupying the White House for 8 years and worsening race relations in the United States cannot be ignored. If we had objectivity in the race relations industry, causation could be looked at.

Reactions: DANC
Point taken. I’d invite your attention my post #98.

Racism, and AA underachievement, like so many issues, has become a discussion by elites for other elites. The whole DEI effort is a perfect example. Paying MO to $700k to talk to other elites about racism highlights that. There is so much to be done in the trenches about these issues. We must get past the current discussion and go where the rubber meets the road.
If by elites, you mean people who run businesses or legislate policies, who can compel or enact change from the top down.

You probably would've accused Lincoln of not doing enough when he gave the Gettysburg Address. Just an elite pandering to the people. Was the emancipation proclamation not good enough because Lincoln didn't have his boots on the ground physically freeing slaves?

You think the only thing Michelle Obama does on the subject is speak at conventions? I'd wager large she's working both ends of the spectrum. I'm failing to see the issue of her speaking at a conference other than maybe you not liking the message.

I think most see the missing father issue as substantial problem.. This evolved over generations. I‘m glad MO was close to her dad. And maybe she , like you, thinks her family example carries weight, I don’t think so, The kids who commit the retail crime, shoot other kids, and assault old white people on the streets were raised when we had a black POTUS and FLOTUS. So much for that.
And it was immediately thrown in their face by the next President, which provoke a spike in hate crime. Blacklash leads to backlash.

Most see broken homes as a major cause of unrest in a child's life. However, you can't force people to stay together or even be responsible. So the government has to help. The most important step in this is childcare. So I look forward to you supporting universal childcare. that's the grassroots efforts you're effectively accusing Obama of not being part of.

As a reminder of why I started this thread, here is part of my opening post.

But the larger issue is the notion that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion actually means something beyond sloganeering . The rubber meets the road with race on the streets, K-12 education, and households of every larger American city. Not on Martha’s Vineyard . Paying privileged Black people obscene amounts to lecture elites about race is not only disgusting but meaningless.​

We've had recent threads here about miserable math performance of many school kids, and about the Mississippi school reading miracle. This is where we need to direct resources, not to elites being elites.​

I'm glad you support DEI in schools. (just a pinch of sarcasm) You should fight back against those who fight against it.

Th temporal relationship between the Obama’s occupying the White House for 8 years and worsening race relations in the United States cannot be ignored. If we had objectivity in the race relations industry, causation could be looked at.
You don't think it had to with a gaggle of white folks thinking they need to take their country back because a black man was sitting in the White House?

Again, I'll point out that it was $150 to go to this conference. This is not a $7000-a-plate charity dinner event.

This was for people who are founding their own start-up companies to network with some other successful former start-ups.

Not exactly my definition of "elites".

He was after he could no longer walk and his job involved walking. He used two canes as long as he could. Oh well if your girls wanted Melania Trump as a role ( not roll model) then I’d say they should maybe learn, or you should have told them a bit more about her. Posing nude and being a gold digger isn’t exactly role model material in my book. But that’s just me…
Sounds like a personal problem to me? She has been married to Donald for 18 years and have a son, so if the digging of gold paid off (as it seems) good for her. I tell my girls marry the first time for love the second time for money. :)

Many women have posed nude, not my ideal companion, but then again I wouldn't be many peoples ideal companion either just as long as who I am works for my wife.

Sorry about the use of the wrong "roll" I was listening to Jelly Roll as I typed the post.

And yet the message and points she chooses to focus on are diametrically opposed to her life story.

I don't like the Obamas. I don't hold them in the high esteem that so many of you apparently do. I think they are the equivalent of a preacher espousing purity culture while having a side chick. The actions don't match the message.
And that’s total bs. Not a single scandal in their personal or professional life. Still working and doing good for others. Wonder exactly what it is you don’t like about them? Be more specific, because your analogy is silly. How is her message diametrically opposed to her life story?

Sounds like a personal problem to me? She has been married to Donald for 18 years and have a son, so if the digging of gold paid off (as it seems) good for her. I tell my girls marry the first time for love the second time for money. :)

Many women have posed nude, not my ideal companion, but then again I wouldn't be many peoples ideal companion either just as long as who I am works for my wife.

Sorry about the use of the wrong "roll" I was listening to Jelly Roll as I typed the post.
I know how long she’s been married. I’m sure having a child was part of the deal and I imagine she wanted one. Have you ever watched them together? She clearly detests him. Have you seen her with him at all lately? I know who I’d want my kids to emulate… a loving marriage with a decent husband who doesn’t cheat on me when I’m pregnant. A women who has her own successes and achievements and a woman who has successfully raised her children. ( and I will give Melania credit there, especially given the other parental unit, she has a lot to overcome to teach him any values and morals whatsoever, but it appears she’s keeping him at a distance fortunately).

And that’s total bs. Not a single scandal in their personal or professional life. Still working and doing good for others. Wonder exactly what it is you don’t like about them? Be more specific, because your analogy is silly. How is her message diametrically opposed to her life story?
My point on the cheating preacher was saying they don't practice what they preach, not that they were scandalous.

As far as Michelle's life story, it is full of the things I have said help lead to success and next to none of it (except for the likely hand ups she was given at certain points in life) had anything to do with race. She was living the American dream before she could be proud of her country for the first time. And yet....

My point on the cheating preacher was saying they don't practice what they preach, not that they were scandalous.

As far as Michelle's life story, it is full of the things I have said help lead to success and next to none of it (except for the likely hand ups she was given at certain points in life) had anything to do with race. She was living the American dream before she could be proud of her country for the first time. And yet....
I know that but how do they not practice what they preach? What exactly was she given to help lead to her success besides a two parent family? Have you read either of her books? Have you heard her speak? I don’t think you really know much about her background.

I know that but how do they not practice what they preach? What exactly was she given to help lead to her success besides a two parent family? Have you read either of her books? Have you heard her speak? I don’t think you really know much about her background.
They preach the Gospel of Systemic Racism while living the life of "I control my destiny, not my color."

You know Barack and Michelle's biggest testimony? We got married, we had kids after marriage, we stayed married. We worked. And despite any barriers that may have existed due to our race, we have done EXTREMELY well for ourselves. Stop selling division and start selling THAT reality.

Not everyone is going to be that successful obviously but my word, having any part in selling the system narrative is a complete waste of opportunity for people who (despite what I think of their politics) could have been real role models with a road map. And they are considered "cool" so people would have listened. They have mostly gone the other route though (despite B. Obama realizing the sexual stuff is hurting the party). And that, mixed with my distaste for their politics, is a big reason I am not a fan. (There is other stuff as well that is more me being petty and not as important.)

I get not liking a politician's views, but it's hard not to like Obamas, especially since Barack left the White House. It would like disliking Jimmy Carter or Bush 41.

I get not liking a politician's views, but it's hard not to like Obamas, especially since Barack left the White House. It would like disliking Jimmy Carter or Bush 41.
Agreed. I like 41, Carter, and both Bushes after they left the WH. And I certainly don’t get bent out of shape if they want to make money with speaking engagements, writing books etc.

They preach the Gospel of Systemic Racism while living the life of "I control my destiny, not my color."

You know Barack and Michelle's biggest testimony? We got married, we had kids after marriage, we stayed married. We worked. And despite any barriers that may have existed due to our race, we have done EXTREMELY well for ourselves. Stop selling division and start selling THAT reality.

Not everyone is going to be that successful obviously but my word, having any part in selling the system narrative is a complete waste of opportunity for people who (despite what I think of their politics) could have been real role models with a road map. And they are considered "cool" so people would have listened. They have mostly gone the other route though (despite B. Obama realizing the sexual stuff is hurting the party). And that, mixed with my distaste for their politics, is a big reason I am not a fan. (There is other stuff as well that is more me being petty and not as important.)
Oh you think they sell division. Ok. Well I’d say I’ll leave it to people of color to tell their own stories and experience and draw their own conclusions. Yes they have worked hard and now have the fruits of their labor. That doesn’t negate their experiences due to their color. Something you nor I have the ability to comprehend.

I know how long she’s been married. I’m sure having a child was part of the deal and I imagine she wanted one. Have you ever watched them together? She clearly detests him. Have you seen her with him at all lately? I know who I’d want my kids to emulate… a loving marriage with a decent husband who doesn’t cheat on me when I’m pregnant. A women who has her own successes and achievements and a woman who has successfully raised her children. ( and I will give Melania credit there, especially given the other parental unit, she has a lot to overcome to teach him any values and morals whatsoever, but it appears she’s keeping him at a distance fortunately).
People get married for many reasons, the Trumps are no different than the Clintons or the Kennedys and I probably could go on and on. I don't know anything about the Obama's and their marriage, and I don't care. You seem to be very judgmental of Melania and it all stems from a hatred for Donald. lol

For the record I wouldn't walk across the street to hear Melania talk on a subject, much like MO. So does that help a little? I might walk across the street to see her as a 51 year old man she is easy on the eyes.

Also, looking at my two son in laws and knowing what they make I'm 100% confident my daughters married for love. Come to think of it both girls are the bread winners, does that make my son in laws "gold diggers"?

They do.

@zeke4ahs see...lines still drawn.

Point taken. I’d invite your attention my post #98.

Racism, and AA underachievement, like so many issues, has become a discussion by elites for other elites. The whole DEI effort is a perfect example. Paying MO to $700k to talk to other elites about racism highlights that. There is so much to be done in the trenches about these issues. We must get past the current discussion and go where the rubber meets the road.

I think most see the missing father issue as substantial problem.. This evolved over generations. I‘m glad MO was close to her dad. And maybe she , like you, thinks her family example carries weight, I don’t think so, The kids who commit the retail crime, shoot other kids, and assault old white people on the streets were raised when we had a black POTUS and FLOTUS. So much for that.

As a reminder of why I started this thread, here is part of my opening post.

But the larger issue is the notion that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion actually means something beyond sloganeering . The rubber meets the road with race on the streets, K-12 education, and households of every larger American city. Not on Martha’s Vineyard . Paying privileged Black people obscene amounts to lecture elites about race is not only disgusting but meaningless.​

We've had recent threads here about miserable math performance of many school kids, and about the Mississippi school reading miracle. This is where we need to direct resources, not to elites being elites.​
CoH, there is a local battle at school board meetings going on concerning the K-12 education on the subject of race relations in many parts of the country. Is this what you mean by the rubber meeting the road ?

CoH, do you see this battle as one between the elites and parents who are part of the populist movement ? If so, thought you might be interested in this article entitled Populism and the Elite Perspective.

From my perspective, I find the terms "elites" and "populists" to be too broad and subject to manipulation to be useful without precise definitions. They become merely pejorative labels.

Oh you think they sell division. Ok. Well I’d say I’ll leave it to people of color to tell their own stories and experience and draw their own conclusions. Yes they have worked hard and now have the fruits of their labor. That doesn’t negate their experiences due to their color. Something you nor I have the ability to comprehend.
So why listen?

CoH, there is a local battle at school board meetings going on concerning the K-12 education on the subject of race relations in many parts of the country. Is this what you mean by the rubber meeting the road ?
No. I’m talking about learning to read and doing simple math. It will take a while, but I hold the opinion if we educate inner city blacks as well as we educate suburban whites, race relations will be substantially better. Teaching black youngsters that they are oppressed and that many whites don’t like them is not only mostly false but counterproductive
CoH, do you see this battle as one between the elites and parents who are part of the populist movement ? If so, thought you might be interested in this article entitled Populism and the Elite Perspective.

From my perspective, I find the terms "elites" and "populists" to be too broad and subject to manipulation to be useful without precise definitions. They become merely pejorative labels.
The elites defining populists is not useful.

I would say populists are, in general terms, the entire population of the United States minus those in entertainment, academia, media, and the coastal products of higher education in the revolving door of government service-business-education.

Last edited:
Teaching black youngsters that they are oppressed and that many whites don’t like them is not only mostly false but counterproductive
Here we go again. The white washing of education advocate.

Teaching all students about the ills of racism should be in school curriculum. You don't erode or chip it away by ignoring it.

Now lets everyone hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

People get married for many reasons, the Trumps are no different than the Clintons or the Kennedys and I probably could go on and on. I don't know anything about the Obama's and their marriage, and I don't care. You seem to be very judgmental of Melania and it all stems from a hatred for Donald. lol

For the record I wouldn't walk across the street to hear Melania talk on a subject, much like MO. So does that help a little? I might walk across the street to see her as a 51 year old man she is easy on the eyes.

Also, looking at my two son in laws and knowing what they make I'm 100% confident my daughters married for love. Come to think of it both girls are the bread winners, does that make my son in laws "gold diggers"?
Nope Melania is a liar and fake too. She plagiarized Michelle’s speech, said she graduated from college, had zero initiatives while in office, not only posed nude also wore tops showing her entire braless chest while First Lady. Married a man she clearly detests. Plenty of reasons to not like Melania on her own.

Hillary and Bill got married right after college. As did the Kennedys. Don’t compare them to Trumps . What exactly would Melania be qualified to speak on?

No. I’m talking about learning to read and doing simple math. It will take a while, but I hold the opinion if we educate inner city blacks as well as we educate suburban whites, race relations will be substantially better. Teaching black youngsters that they are oppressed and that many whites don’t like them is not only mostly false but counterproductive

I would say populists are, in general terms, the entire population of the United States minus those in entertainment, academia, media, and the coastal products of higher education in the revolving door of government service-business-education.
Who exactly teaches black children that? The conclusions you draw about race generally have nothing to do with what is being taught.

Beats me. All I know is that black reading scores are a disgrace and many adults still jabber about oppression.
Because community schools have been closed or run down by a lack of funding, and without that identity, kids who struggle to get to school just avoid it.

School choice has been a killer for urban school districts, and it was done mostly to subsidize private schools. Once they figured out the charter school model, it was all in on vouchers and the elimination of community based schools.

• Haha
Beats me. All I know is that black reading scores are a disgrace and many adults still jabber about oppression.
Oh well looks there changing the subject again. You stated people are teaching them that whites hate them and they were oppressed. I asked who is teaching that and you revert to their test scores.

Reactions: UncleMark
There’s no data to support that. Even in your neck of the woods.

You’re just spouting teachers unions talking points because you lack the ability to think for yourself.
Oddly, I don't pay attention to teacher's unions. I see the impact of schools closing because resources are pulled back as students leave. Period.

32 states have “hold harmless” provisions that don’t allow failing public schools to receive less funding even when students leave for private or charter schools.

You are extremely ignorant on this topic and just spout emotion based nonsense with no basis in fact.

STOP TALKING ABOUT SCHOOLS. Ignoramus.
Meanwhile, "ignoramus" you're citing a blog post from the very organization trying to undermine public schools for the suburban charter schools they hope to open.

Last edited:
  • Haha

CoH, given your definition of populist, are we are both populists ?

Oh well looks there changing the subject again. You stated people are teaching them that whites hate them and they were oppressed. I asked who is teaching that and you revert to their test scores.
How in the hell s would I know. But the results and intention are both there and plain to see. It’s called “accurate history”.

Nope Melania is a liar and fake too. She plagiarized Michelle’s speech, said she graduated from college, had zero initiatives while in office, not only posed nude also wore tops showing her entire braless chest while First Lady. Married a man she clearly detests. Plenty of reasons to not like Melania on her own.
Again it sounds like a personal problem? I never once thought of her as a problem while in the White House but apparently you did, sorry to hear that. Also, I have read many of your posts over the years never knew you were so judgmental? You learn something everyday.

Hillary and Bill got married right after college. As did the Kennedys. Don’t compare them to Trumps . What exactly would Melania be qualified to speak on?
I should have said stayed married for many reasons. The Clintons and Kennedys were both "loveless" marriages,if you believe what you read, and both are horrible examples of what a functioning family should look like.

There aren’t any city charter schools? Could have fooled me.

CHARTER SCHOOL LANDSCAPE–LOCALE

According to our most recent data (2020-21 school year), most charter schools and campuses were located in urban areas (58.2%; see Table 3.1), and they enrolled 57.4% of charter students nationwide.

God you are just so wrong. Like all the time. This post above is you to a T. Can’t trust the heritage foundation because they support charter schools. Nevermind all the data on student performance is in favor of charter schools. Nevermind they don’t discriminate geographically. Nevermind charters a net benefit for everybody other than teachers unions.

It doesn’t fit your priors so you don’t approve.

You. Are. A. Clown.
I never said they weren't in the cities. I said...

Meanwhile, "ignoramus" you're citing a blog post from the very organization trying to undermine public schools for the suburban charter schools they hope to open.

Try to keep up.

Indiana has this lovely law where a charter organization can take over a school building not in use for $1. The Heritage Group tried to do so in Carmel and failed. Then they moved to Pike Township and failed.

Then they 'rented' office space QUICKLY so they could start getting enrollees.

The Heritage Group...the same people funding Moms 4 Liberty, which has a Hamilton County chapter.

Are your other fake usernames as dumb as this one?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT