ADVERTISEMENT

Equitable grading—Making Black Underachievement in Education Permanent

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Here is a guideline of equitable grading in the Portland Public School system.

Black underachievement in K-12 education is a disgraceful plague in our system. Minority Hugh school graduates who can’t read at grade level, do simple math, or understand simple civics are typical. Students with abilities in STEM disciplines are rare. The reasons are numerous, including the home and social environments that are not conducive to education, and school educrats who don’t make student achievement their highest priority.

Enter equitable grading. If the above link is typical, equitable grading will guarantee a permanent and acceptable minority under achievement. While the objectives seem to use the right words, operationally this system is a disaster for kids. Grades based on race, social backgrounds, while excusing cheating, timeliness and behavior is bad enough. But the metrics for student achievement seem to be largely based on the student social conditions while ignoring more rigorous objective standards. The end resuLt is nothing will change. Instead of creating an environment of motivating high student achievement, equitable grading seems to normalize low achievement— so long as the achievement is consistent with race and culture.

While efforts like this seemingly address current students, we are really dealing with the future of blacks and minorities. Education is the place where the public has the best opportunity to improve lives. Equitable grading reinforces the current problems. Generations of bad education produces the social conditions that make education difficult. Is equitable grading a thing because standards for high achievement reflect whiteness? Some have made that argument. I guess the answer is, so what?

We can’t achieve an equitable society with equitable grading. Equitable grading will produce inequitable outcomes. The Ben Carson’s will always rise to the top. But we need many more like him. Equitable grading inhibits that.

Reactions: Univee2

Black underachievement in K-12 education is a disgraceful plague in our system. Minority Hugh school graduates who can’t read at grade level, do simple math, or understand simple civics are typical. Students with abilities in STEM disciplines are rare. The reasons are numerous, including the home and social environments that are not conducive to education, and school educrats who don’t make student achievement their highest priority.

Enter equitable grading. If the above link is typical, equitable grading will guarantee a permanent and acceptable minority under achievement. While the objectives seem to use the right words, operationally this system is a disaster for kids. Grades based on race, social backgrounds, while excusing cheating, timeliness and behavior is bad enough. But the metrics for student achievement seem to be largely based on the student social conditions while ignoring more rigorous objective standards. The end resuLt is nothing will change. Instead of creating an environment of motivating high student achievement, equitable grading seems to normalize low achievement— so long as the achievement is consistent with race and culture.

While efforts like this seemingly address current students, we are really dealing with the future of blacks and minorities. Education is the place where the public has the best opportunity to improve lives. Equitable grading reinforces the current problems. Generations of bad education produces the social conditions that make education difficult. Is equitable grading a thing because standards for high achievement reflect whiteness? Some have made that argument. I guess the answer is, so what?

We can’t achieve an equitable society with equitable grading. Equitable grading will produce inequitable outcomes. The Ben Carson’s will always rise to the top. But we need many more like him. Equitable grading inhibits that.
Yes it seems most odd to say that achievement should be a relative and not an objective construct.
Letting non participation slide does not support employment performance where failure to participate in the business model of the organization ends employment quickly.

Reflexive taunts of Racism! from those that didn’t read the handout in 3…….2……..1……..

What is the purpose of grades?

If I'm a student who, at the beginning of a grading period, got terrible grades because I was lazy, defiant, or truly didn't understand what was going on, but about halfway through the 9 weeks or semester, I caught on and started really improving, should my grades at the beginning of the class, when I was bombing, be averaged with my grades at the end of the class, when I'm a rock star?

If I was a beginning long jumper in high school, and at the start of the season, my jumps were 10', but by the end of the season, I was jumping 20', am I not a 20' long jumper? Or do I have to go back and average my jumps with my earlier attempts?

Also, behavior and tardiness should not be figured into grades, imo. Now cheating...sure. But it all comes back to the purpose of grades. If grades are meant to be a measure of how much a student has mastered by the end of the instructional program, then you look at them differently. But, if they aren't meant to measure mastery, what is their purpose?
Just asking.

The people that champion & defend these policies must think that black people are too dumb or too lazy to complete the same curriculums. What a shame…

Yes it seems most odd to say that achievement should be a relative and not an objective construct.
Letting non participation slide does not support employment performance where failure to participate in the business model of the organization ends employment quickly.
Achievement should be both. Relatively speaking I’m not that great at mathematics. However, I measure that inability objectively via testing.

The people that champion & defend these policies must think that black people are too dumb or too lazy to complete the same curriculums. What a shame…
I think there is something to this point. Equitable grading is a clear acknowledgment that blacks are not cutting it. The issue then is why is that? Is it nature or nurture? Equitable grading insures the continued status quo.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Reflexive taunts of Racism! from those that didn’t read the handout in 3…….2……..1……..
I don't understand what this has to do with race at all. I think I understand EGP, and I did look at the linked handout, although it had a lot of jargon, so it's hard to tell how much actual content is in there, and I don't see it as having much of anything to do with race at all. It's really about grading students entirely based on the destination rather than the journey (i.e., did they learn the subject matter, rather than how many homework assignments did they complete).

I have no idea whether or not EGP is a good idea, but I fail to understand why OP links it to black underachievement, or why you think anyone would reflexively bring up racism as a response. Maybe I'm missing something.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I don't understand what this has to do with race at all. I think I understand EGP, and I did look at the linked handout, although it had a lot of jargon, so it's hard to tell how much actual content is in there, and I don't see it as having much of anything to do with race at all. It's really about grading students entirely based on the destination rather than the journey (i.e., did they learn the subject matter, rather than how many homework assignments did they complete).

I have no idea whether or not EGP is a good idea, but I fail to understand why OP links it to black underachievement, or why you think anyone would reflexively bring up racism as a response. Maybe I'm missing something.
That’s okay. That’s what this class is intended to do. To get you thinking. What am I missing. How do I connect the dots

If I'm a student who, at the beginning of a grading period, got terrible grades because I was lazy, defiant, or truly didn't understand what was going on, but about halfway through the 9 weeks or semester, I caught on and started really improving, should my grades at the beginning of the class, when I was bombing, be averaged with my grades at the end of the class, when I'm a rock star?

If I was a beginning long jumper in high school, and at the start of the season, my jumps were 10', but by the end of the season, I was jumping 20', am I not a 20' long jumper? Or do I have to go back and average my jumps with my earlier attempts?

Also, behavior and tardiness should not be figured into grades, imo. Now cheating...sure. But it all comes back to the purpose of grades. If grades are meant to be a measure of how much a student has mastered by the end of the instructional program, then you look at them differently. But, if they aren't meant to measure mastery, what is their purpose?
Just asking.

What’s the purpose of anything?

Just asking.

Very little of this is new.

I had multiple teachers in HS who didn't grade homework beyond whether or not you did it. Those were my hardest courses. If you did it, you got a +1, and if you did poorly on it, there was a lot of red ink. It mostly based on quizzes and tests.

Our world history teacher didn't even use the book, beyond 'book quizzes'. The class was 50% essay tests, which were based totally on his notes (not part of the book), 40% research paper (which I kind of whiffed on) and 10% book quizzes.

Read the parts about people of color and how they have different comprehensions, reading etc. it’s hidden but it’s in there.

Seriously? You don’t know what equity in education, has to do with race? It’s only about race. Read it. It’s there.

Read the parts about people of color and how they have different comprehensions, reading etc. it’s hidden but it’s in there.
The only mention of color and race I can find is this:

Culturally Affirming. Instruction affirms and honors our student and communities of color including their ethnic, racial, and linguistic identifies and developed all students’ abilities to recognize and critique social inequities.​
Data Driven. Quantitative and qualitative data from multiple sources is systematically collected, analyzed, and disaggregated by race to improve teaching and student outcomes.​

I'm sorry I'm not connecting whatever dots you guys are.

The only mention of color and race I can find is this:

Culturally Affirming. Instruction affirms and honors our student and communities of color including their ethnic, racial, and linguistic identifies and developed all students’ abilities to recognize and critique social inequities.​
Data Driven. Quantitative and qualitative data from multiple sources is systematically collected, analyzed, and disaggregated by race to improve teaching and student outcomes.​

I'm sorry I'm not connecting whatever dots you guys are.
Read further down under EGP.

Accurate: Grades are based on calculations that are mathematically sounds, easy to understand, and correctly describe a student’s level of academic performance. Practices to increase accuracy include:

• Do not issue zeros. Provide a minimum grade greater than or equal to 50% for work that does not meet expectations, is incomplete, or is missing.
  • Use a 0-4 scale. A 0-4 equal interval scale is more mathematically accurate than a 0-100 scale.
  • Weight more recent performance. Do not average assessment scores across an entire semester. Instead provide more weight to more recent performance.
  • No group grades. Do not include group level grades into individual grades. Student grades should reflect individual achievement.
Bias-resistant: Grades are based on valid evidence of a student’s content knowledge, not on evidence that it is likely to be influenced by a teacher’s implicit bias or reflect a student’s environment. Practices to reduce bias include:

• Summative assessment. Base grades on summative assessments, instead of classwork, homework, formative assessments, etc.
  • Homework. Do not grade homework and/or do not include homework as part of a final grade.
  • Late work. Do not penalize students for submitting late work.
  • No extra credit. Do not offer extra credit. Instead provide multiple opportunities to demonstrate proficiency on learning targets.
  • Exclude non-academic factors. Do not include participation, attendance, effort, attitude, behavior or other non-academic factors into grades.
  • Cheating. Provide alternative consequences to cheating, instead of zeros.

Read further down under EGP.

Accurate: Grades are based on calculations that are mathematically sounds, easy to understand, and correctly describe a student’s level of academic performance. Practices to increase accuracy include:

• Do not issue zeros. Provide a minimum grade greater than or equal to 50% for work that does not meet expectations, is incomplete, or is missing.
  • Use a 0-4 scale. A 0-4 equal interval scale is more mathematically accurate than a 0-100 scale.
  • Weight more recent performance. Do not average assessment scores across an entire semester. Instead provide more weight to more recent performance.
  • No group grades. Do not include group level grades into individual grades. Student grades should reflect individual achievement.
Bias-resistant: Grades are based on valid evidence of a student’s content knowledge, not on evidence that it is likely to be influenced by a teacher’s implicit bias or reflect a student’s environment. Practices to reduce bias include:

• Summative assessment. Base grades on summative assessments, instead of classwork, homework, formative assessments, etc.
  • Homework. Do not grade homework and/or do not include homework as part of a final grade.
  • Late work. Do not penalize students for submitting late work.
  • No extra credit. Do not offer extra credit. Instead provide multiple opportunities to demonstrate proficiency on learning targets.
  • Exclude non-academic factors. Do not include participation, attendance, effort, attitude, behavior or other non-academic factors into grades.
  • Cheating. Provide alternative consequences to cheating, instead of zeros.
I read all that. None of it mentions race.

I mentioned this in May, Joe Feldman wrote a book on equitable grading and was on Smerconish. He made some interesting points. The biggest takeaway I saw was that homework is more or less points to kids with stable home lives. A kid who has parents who make them do homework scores points. A kid whose parents basically do the homework for them scores more points. So a kid is basically guaranteed a C but the teacher really has no idea the kid has mastered the content (since the parent or a tutor might be doing it).

He mentions several times that sometimes kids get points for parents baking muffins for school fundraiser events. I guess that is a thing.

His interview is less than 5 minutes and can be seen at:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT