ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from a casual fan

IUCrazy2

Hall of Famer
Mar 7, 2004
I am die hard IU. I want to be a die hard football fan but man does this program make it tough.

Last night is the first game I have attended in awhile. It was first time I took the entire family (6 people- 2 adults and 4 children) and we picked up pretty good tickets IMO (West Side of stadium facing Assembly Hall) around the 45 yard line and about halfway up the stadium. Great seats to watch the game in IMO. Just a few thoughts:

1. What the school charges for parking is pretty ridiculous. I know, I know...all the others are doing it but I can tell you that going to an IU football game is pretty expensive for what you get. After fees the tickets for 6 were running up around $300...which was actually probably an OK deal for the tickets. If you wanted to park at the stadium those passes were $40 to $50. You could pay $30 to walk across a highway to a grass lot at the church or find another place close by on campus. We ended up paying $35 to park at a lot off 17th, just past Fee. So $335 before you have bought any concessions, any gear, etc.

2. So that price could be livable if the crowd had any energy at all. I give it to the student section early and those who stuck around to the very long and drawn out end. The students on the East Side that stayed to the end started to move from side to side of the stadium in order to have noise as close to Akron as possible. Good on them. However, the team lost 60% of it's student support at halftime up 7-3 and they took what little energy was in the stadium with them.

3. We must have a bunch of fans with money to burn. We lost a whole bunch of fans at halftime in general. I had fans in my area who were giving play by play updates while watching the Notre Dame/OSU game on their phone. They also left at halftime. Thanks for the money for the school I suppose but what a waste.

4. The flow to a televised college game is awful. Even without OT that game just drug the whole night. I have a few younger kids and one of them (who is a complainer) said the game was moving slower than a turtle. He wasn't wrong.

5. We have huge screens in the stadium and we don't show replays. There were several plays that led to some questions for the fans at home and we never got a replay of the call. Someone also in my hearing range was vociferously complaining about the huge screens that are basically used to sell you stuff. Like one big commercial as the background noise. And if the replays incite the crowd, good. Anger is something that can be directed, let that fill out some time as opposed to giving me the next advertisement.

6. It was band night. Bunch of high school bands there. Seymour had a pretty big presence in the West Side corner in the first half. All those bands packed up and hit the road after their halftime performance. As a program you would think you would want those folks to stick around....

Anyways, I know most of you are diehards and wanted to give you a look from a casual. I don't know if I would do a night game again. Not as the program currently sits.

I attended last night's game had some tix giving to me.
Nice..Varsity Club level seats on the north end..Food spread etc..
Enjoyed the experience with my two adult children...
Few beers..Food..And some awful football....
I just don't think the alumni are serious about the program...As long as Woodford is flowing and the tailgating is good on a beautiful September Saturday..
It's let's wait till basketball season..
Tom Allen and staff have got to go !!

• Sad
Reactions: vesuvius13
I am die hard IU. I want to be a die hard football fan but man does this program make it tough.

Last night is the first game I have attended in awhile. It was first time I took the entire family (6 people- 2 adults and 4 children) and we picked up pretty good tickets IMO (West Side of stadium facing Assembly Hall) around the 45 yard line and about halfway up the stadium. Great seats to watch the game in IMO. Just a few thoughts:

1. What the school charges for parking is pretty ridiculous. I know, I know...all the others are doing it but I can tell you that going to an IU football game is pretty expensive for what you get. After fees the tickets for 6 were running up around $300...which was actually probably an OK deal for the tickets. If you wanted to park at the stadium those passes were $40 to $50. You could pay $30 to walk across a highway to a grass lot at the church or find another place close by on campus. We ended up paying $35 to park at a lot off 17th, just past Fee. So $335 before you have bought any concessions, any gear, etc.

2. So that price could be livable if the crowd had any energy at all. I give it to the student section early and those who stuck around to the very long and drawn out end. The students on the East Side that stayed to the end started to move from side to side of the stadium in order to have noise as close to Akron as possible. Good on them. However, the team lost 60% of it's student support at halftime up 7-3 and they took what little energy was in the stadium with them.

3. We must have a bunch of fans with money to burn. We lost a whole bunch of fans at halftime in general. I had fans in my area who were giving play by play updates while watching the Notre Dame/OSU game on their phone. They also left at halftime. Thanks for the money for the school I suppose but what a waste.

4. The flow to a televised college game is awful. Even without OT that game just drug the whole night. I have a few younger kids and one of them (who is a complainer) said the game was moving slower than a turtle. He wasn't wrong.

5. We have huge screens in the stadium and we don't show replays. There were several plays that led to some questions for the fans at home and we never got a replay of the call. Someone also in my hearing range was vociferously complaining about the huge screens that are basically used to sell you stuff. Like one big commercial as the background noise. And if the replays incite the crowd, good. Anger is something that can be directed, let that fill out some time as opposed to giving me the next advertisement.

6. It was band night. Bunch of high school bands there. Seymour had a pretty big presence in the West Side corner in the first half. All those bands packed up and hit the road after their halftime performance. As a program you would think you would want those folks to stick around....

Anyways, I know most of you are diehards and wanted to give you a look from a casual. I don't know if I would do a night game again. Not as the program currently sits.
The last game I attended was in 2015. I watch them all but going to a game live with 5 min breaks often is brutal.

4 & 5 are the main reasons I probably wont be back (along with the fact of watching a stale offense) and I usually get comp tickets. The game does move at a snails pace. We went to the ISU game and during one TV timeout the tire race for new tires ran way over and they had to hold up the game to let them finish. Every little injury became a TV timeout. I could be wrong but didn’t IU adopt a policy of not showing controversial plays? Those big screens that cost millions are not used for the right purposes IMO.

4 & 5 are the main reasons I probably wont be back (along with the fact of watching a stale offense) and I usually get comp tickets. The game does move at a snails pace. We went to the ISU game and during one TV timeout the tire race for new tires ran way over and they had to hold up the game to let them finish. Every little injury became a TV timeout. I could be wrong but didn’t IU adopt a policy of not showing controversial plays? Those big screens that cost millions are not used for the right purposes IMO.
Yeah the lack of replay is frustrating. Like when they are doing a review on the field you want to see what the issue was/is.

That being said, my not really sports crazy wife thought it was more fun in person and that it ended up being a "good" (close/competitive) game. I think there are pieces in place that could turn around pretty quickly if we started winning some games against Big Ten caliber components. My wife will usually head for another room when the sports come on and even she found something to be entertained with last night on a night where I felt it was kind of subpar.

Yeah the lack of replay is frustrating. Like when they are doing a review on the field you want to see what the issue was/is.

That being said, my not really sports crazy wife thought it was more fun in person and that it ended up being a "good" (close/competitive) game. I think there are pieces in place that could turn around pretty quickly if we started winning some games against Big Ten caliber components. My wife will usually head for another room when the sports come on and even she found something to be entertained with last night on a night where I felt it was kind of subpar.
Tough to contemplate beating Big Ten-caliber "components" when we struggle against a MAC opponent.

I'm glad your wife was entertained, though. I suspect she is part of a very small group in that regard.

Coach, if you don't want to use your usually comped tickets for the Wisconsin game give me a shout. It will be the first game I can attend since 2019 and regardless what happens between now and then on the field, I'll be dressed in my Hoosier gear cheering our team on with all I've got inside Memorial Stadium. I also stay to the very end no matter what.

I don't blame any of the fans for leaving early or not cheering the entire game.

The fans will show up if the team is good. We're not good.

We needed a missed 32 yard field goal and quadruple overtime to beat a team ranked in the 120s that we were 3 possession favorites to beat.

Our only other win was against a bad FCS team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT