ADVERTISEMENT

Who are "the elites" and what do they believe?

GigGoo

Sophomore
Aug 30, 2023

This survey is going viral and is absolutely fascinating. For the purposes of this study the elites were described thusly:

- at least one post-graduate degree,
- earning at least $150,000 annually
- living in high-population density areas (more than 10,000 people per square mile in their zip code)

Some of the highlights below but give the whole survey a read, it goes quick.

Only about 20% of all Americans say they believe their finances are getting better now. But among the Elite, that number more than triples to 74% who say they are better off. And among the Ivy League school graduates, 88% say they are better off

Climate change is clearly an obsession of the very rich and highly educated. An astonishing 77% of the Elites –including nearly 90% of the Elites who graduated from the top universities – favor rationing of energy, gas, and meat to combat climate change. Among all Americans, 63% oppose this policy.

When Americans are asked if there is too much or too little freedom, Elites are three times more likely to say that there is too much individual freedom in America than all Americans. Almost six out of ten of the graduates from Elite colleges think there is too much freedom.

Perhaps not surprisingly, at a time when President Biden’s approval rating among voters was in the low 40s, his performance earned approval from 84% of the Elites. That’s a 40% swing.

These people truly have no idea what the life of an average American is like. Fascinating to put some parameters and data to the oft used term "elites" and exactly what they believe.

Reactions: DANC and manichi

This survey is going viral and is absolutely fascinating. For the purposes of this study the elites were described thusly:

- living in high-population density areas (more than 10,000 people per square mile in their zip code)

Only about 20% of all Americans say they believe their finances are getting better now. But among the Elite, that number more than triples to 74% who say they are better off. And among the Ivy League school graduates, 88% say they are better off

Climate change is clearly an obsession of the very rich and highly educated. An astonishing 77% of the Elites –including nearly 90% of the Elites who graduated from the top universities – favor rationing of energy, gas, and meat to combat climate change. Among all Americans, 63% oppose this policy.

When Americans are asked if there is too much or too little freedom, Elites are three times more likely to say that there is too much individual freedom in America than all Americans. Almost six out of ten of the graduates from Elite colleges think there is too much freedom.

Perhaps not surprisingly, at a time when President Biden’s approval rating among voters was in the low 40s, his performance earned approval from 84% of the Elites. That’s a 40% swing.

These people truly have no idea what the life of an average American is like. Fascinating to put some parameters and data to the oft used term "elites" and exactly what they believe.
That’s pretty wild

This economy is so heated and my 401k plans are doing so great... this former cow-milking farm boy is worried about maybe becoming a one percenter. Not many of us elites know how to bale hay, stack it in the barn, detassle corn, deliver a calf, shoe a horse, and so on.

This economy is so heated and my 401k plans are doing so great... this former cow-milking farm boy is worried about maybe becoming a one percenter. Not many of us elites know how to bale hay, stack it in the barn, detassle corn, deliver a calf, shoe a horse, and so on.
Lmao you’re going to be milked. You’ve been brainwashed and are in a cult 🤣🤣🤣

Looks like they very selectively defined "elite" in order to get the results they wanted.

Don’t you have more daily meetings than everybody else here combined?

That’s winning. Enjoy it. Revel in your prominence.
Only 16 tomorrow but one is a four hour I’m in, I’m out, I’m back in again type of meeting.

The worst. Also because I’m allegedly leading it. Some days my fantasy is that, not unlike the five diamond rater from Oceans 13, it’ll payoff at some point.

They definitely not Bitcoiners.

Shorter version: you’re not on the list
I’m elite at meetings? Not ****ing elite at all.

Zero elite.
Well I’m not either. Yet. Presently I have six business projects. All six operate on the low rungs of bottom feeder industries. And while I have no real hope for any of them I am a Bitcoin man. And with that I shall rise like a phoenix!!!!

Only 16 tomorrow but one is a four hour I’m in, I’m out, I’m back in again type of meeting.

The worst. Also because I’m allegedly leading it. Some days my fantasy is that, not unlike the five diamond rater from Oceans 13, it’ll payoff at some point.
I wouldn’t subject my employees to 16 meetings in a year. Would average a sales meeting/call and a customer meeting/call a day. 16 in a day is a different universe.

Reactions: larsIU
Would an elite know how to skin a squirrel? I can either hold the hind legs and give you the pocket knife, or the reverse. I've got a good eye for scraping out the buckshot.

I wouldn’t subject my employees to 16 meetings in a year. Would average a sales meeting/call and a customer meeting/call a day. 16 in a day is a different universe.
I blame outlook. Trash.

Conversation view is cool though.

Well I’m not either. Yet. Presently I have six business projects. All six operate on the low rungs of bottom feeder industries. And while I have no real hope for any of them I am a Bitcoin man. And with that I shall rise like a phoenix!!!!
I wake up each day and can’t ****ing believe people don’t own Bitcoin. It’s like being at 3UP surrounded by dozens of beauty women and every other dude in the place is gay. I hope nobody figures it out.

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
On a serious note. I sat my wife down last night and informed her we’re going/do own a shit ton of Bitcoin ETFs in our retirement 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I can help work up a deer too. Though right down I don't have any leftover beef tallow to mix in and and make better deerburgers.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
A post graduate degree and $150k makes one an 'elite'?

Sinora peasants. I'm off to Davos.
No joke. These guys almost certainly engaged in a form of p-hacking. They likely played with the variables until they found a subset of the sample they could portray as unsalvageable liberal, and then published that, as if it was some kind of meaningful result.

No joke. These guys almost certainly engaged in a form of p-hacking. They likely played with the variables until they found a subset of the sample they could portray as unsalvageable liberal, and then published that, as if it was some kind of meaningful result.

Had to be the high density zip codes. Only way to you could data mine your way into that kind of corner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT