ADVERTISEMENT

Is the USA a great nation?

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2023

The biggest divide is between young adults and older ones, with the former increasingly saying no.

But:

"The share of adults saying the U.S. stands above all other countries dropped significantly in telephone surveys conducted between 2011 and 2019. While the decline in views of the United States’ global standing was concentrated among Democrats during these years, the decline over the past four years is concentrated among Republicans."

So is our nation great? Still, now, even with our current political divide and two elderly men roundly criticized by most up for President?

(I come asking this question after finishing Masters of the Air. The score makes me nostalgic and proud about this nation better than almost anything I've heard.)

Last edited:
YES it is, with zero pause.
We have some squabbles and may start shooting each other here shortly....... Wait... May have an semi organized skirmish here shortly, but it'll be like a family reunion and over.
Some have lost, or too young to have ever understood our greatness. But they are about to be re-introduced/ introduced for the first time in their grown up lives.

when the alohaplicans and schiffocrates stop their pillow fight... All will be good again.

The best, most smartest country ever

GI-3JMJWgAAm4oJ

The best, most smartest country ever

GI-3JMJWgAAm4oJ
Speaking of blacks let’s see what charges stick with this kid. Imagine if the races were reversed. Zero chance it shows up on dumb shits like @cosmickid bots feed. Black community silent on this one? No outrage? Disgusting

The biggest divide is between young adults and older ones, with the former increasingly saying no.

But:

"The share of adults saying the U.S. stands above all other countries dropped significantly in telephone surveys conducted between 2011 and 2019. While the decline in views of the United States’ global standing was concentrated among Democrats during these years, the decline over the past four years is concentrated among Republicans."

So is our nation great? Still, now, even with our current political divide and two elderly men roundly criticized by most up for President?

(I come asking this question after finishing Masters of the Air. The score makes me nostalgic and proud about this nation better than almost anything I've heard.)

Hell yeah, we're great. Not the smartest, but great, nonetheless.

Reactions: sglowrider

But:

Yes.

Reactions: Willdog7

But:

Still great beyond belief. Great almost beyond comprehension and that is the problem with being #1 and having such a large gap between #2 and all others. Humans, thinking in the way we do, always perceive things to be rising or falling. Much harder to comprehend an alternative to just those two choices but that's where we are. Our geography is just too good and thankfully doesn't change no matter the idiots we elect or the culture wars we engage in. Our land allows us to do amazing things under good leadership to even "fail up" under bad. It's fvcking unreal.

Just about to finish "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose. It's about Meriwether Lewis. Great read. Found some of the info about the Louisiana Purchase to be really interesting. The common read (maybe American POV) of the transaction is that the European powers knew the land that would become the US was large, inhabitable, and resource rich but couldn't quite fathom how powerful any future owner would become. In truth, they did know but couldn't do anything about it. Per the book, Napoleon only sold because he didn't think he could get any army to North America before Americans overran the land anyway. He was happy the Americans would soon be powerful enough to rival the British. He was right and then some. Crazy shit.

Still great beyond belief. Great almost beyond comprehension and that is the problem with being #1 and having such a large gap between #2 and all others. Humans, thinking in the way we do, always perceive things to be rising or falling. Much harder to comprehend an alternative to just those two choices but that's where we are. Our geography is just too good and thankfully doesn't change no matter the idiots we elect or the culture wars we engage in. Our land allows us to do amazing things under good leadership to even "fail up" under bad. It's fvcking unreal.

Just about to finish "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose. It's about Meriwether Lewis. Great read. Found some of the info about the Louisiana Purchase to be really interesting. The common read (maybe American POV) of the transaction is that the European powers knew the land that would become the US was large, inhabitable, and resource rich but couldn't quite fathom how powerful any future owner would become. In truth, they did know but couldn't do anything about it. Per the book, Napoleon only sold because he didn't think he could get any army to North America before Americans overran the land anyway. He was happy the Americans would soon be powerful enough to rival the British. He was right and then some. Crazy shit.
I bought that book on my trip to the National Parks a couple of years ago. Need to read it.

Reactions: manichi

But according to trump we are horrible, terrible, anti-Jewish, anti-American and will suffer a bloodbath if he is not elected. fear-mongering, violence, and intimidation are all trademarks of trump.

But according to trump we are horrible, terrible, anti-Jewish, anti-American and will suffer a bloodbath if he is not elected. fear-mongering, violence, and intimidation are all trademarks of trump.

ya, telling people "America is great because of geography!" doesn't get the voters out.

I bought that book on my trip to the National Parks a couple of years ago. Need to read it.

I've been digging this book so much that I might buy a 4Runner next spring and drive the trail. Brad, you are welcome to ride shotgun. We'll spend days in the middle of nowhere, so you might have to hold on to an actual shotgun in the passenger seat as well.

• Love
Reactions: BradStevens
I'm reading post #15 and shaking my head. It's an unprovoked personal attack and the baiting of someone who isn't even participating in the thread.

Mods? Seriously?

Can't take down the coach of the dream team. Could you imagine the outcry?

Speaking of blacks let’s see what charges stick with this kid. Imagine if the races were reversed. Zero chance it shows up on dumb shits like @cosmickid bots feed. Black community silent on this one? No outrage? Disgusting

semi-related: I kept using the term "black community" in political discussions with a cop friend. he kept sneering when I said it. what gives? he explained there is no "black community" as whites envision it. There is no singular voice that can speak for all. maybe akin to talking to a Bosnian neighbor about Islamic terrorism.

made me think the folks getting the sound bites aren't as in touch with the community as we believe or they would have us believe.

I've been digging this book so much that I might buy a 4Runner next spring and drive the trail. Brad, you are welcome to ride shotgun. We'll spend days in the middle of nowhere, so you might have to hold on to an actual shotgun in the passenger seat as well.
And if you hear banjos..... RUN!!!

semi-related: I kept using the term "black community" in political discussions with a cop friend. he kept sneering when I said it. what gives? he explained there is no "black community" as whites envision it. There is no singular voice that can speak for all. maybe akin to talking to a Bosnian neighbor about Islamic terrorism.

made me think the folks getting the sound bites aren't as in touch with the community as we believe or they would have us believe.
Very interesting.

Keep on buying that tinfoil. Alcoa stock will just become more valuable.

Reactions: DANC

“Speaking of blacks” has to be all-time bad way to start a point.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
“Speaking of blacks” has to be all-time bad way to start a point.
Yeah we’re a little tired of black crime, cori bush and the rest here. it's getting old. i'm not too worried about pc/woke bs, especially with someone who is as removed as cosmic from these matters

The research also included collecting racial and demographic data about victims and suspects involved in violent crime. Much of the data showed that suspects involved in violent crime often matched the victims involved.

Among the homicides the researchers examined, 80% of victims and 86% of suspects were male, and 86% of victims and 92% of suspects were black.

now this poor girl gets her head bashed in for no reason. i cannot imagine if that was my daughter

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT