ADVERTISEMENT

Is the USA a great nation?

Our geography is just too good and thankfully doesn't change no matter the idiots we elect or the culture wars we engage in.
Yup, vast mineral resources, plenty of water, varied agricultural zones, no enemies on our borders. It's what made America great, maybe the greatest. Those are advantages no other empire had. America could be the only great power in history that could if it chose self sustain without any imports.

I've been digging this book so much that I might buy a 4Runner next spring and drive the trail. Brad, you are welcome to ride shotgun. We'll spend days in the middle of nowhere, so you might have to hold on to an actual shotgun in the passenger seat as well.
leaving thelma and louise GIF

Since I don't have a TwiX account I can't read the replies/thread. Cliff's version?
Basically the she says that something fairly close to the quote can be attributed to James Waterman Wise, the son of a rabbi who gave talks warning of fascism in America:

A distinctly American fascism, Wise said in early 1936, would "probably be 'wrapped up in the American flag and heralded as a plea for liberty and preservation of the constitution.'"

She also touches on Wise's idea that the rich and powerful need to 'enslave the masses' to survive and not to look for swastika's or European fascism:

Fascism "may appear in the so-called patriotic orders, such as the American Legion and the Daughters of the American Revolution" or "it may come wrapped in a flag or a Hearst newspaper."

Reactions: UncleMark

The biggest divide is between young adults and older ones, with the former increasingly saying no.

But:

"The share of adults saying the U.S. stands above all other countries dropped significantly in telephone surveys conducted between 2011 and 2019. While the decline in views of the United States’ global standing was concentrated among Democrats during these years, the decline over the past four years is concentrated among Republicans."

So is our nation great? Still, now, even with our current political divide and two elderly men roundly criticized by most up for President?

(I come asking this question after finishing Masters of the Air. The score makes me nostalgic and proud about this nation better than almost anything I've heard.)

The biggest divide is trump. He makes up his anthem in Ohio. He calls the Jan 6 insurrectionist patriots. He is supposed to be pro-police but his followers attack law enforcement. Theu all stood up and saluted the Maga hat he is. He wants to preserve the white power that they fear they are losing. A cult-like following is very scary. He wants to revise a new history for America. 5 people died on Jan 6. tRUMP watched them die and yet people followed him. The election was not stolen but because he lost. It was stolen.

Basically the she says that something fairly close to the quote can be attributed to James Waterman Wise, the son of a rabbi who gave talks warning of fascism in America:

A distinctly American fascism, Wise said in early 1936, would "probably be 'wrapped up in the American flag and heralded as a plea for liberty and preservation of the constitution.'"

She also touches on Wise's idea that the rich and powerful need to 'enslave the masses' to survive and not to look for swastika's or European fascism:

Fascism "may appear in the so-called patriotic orders, such as the American Legion and the Daughters of the American Revolution" or "it may come wrapped in a flag or a Hearst newspaper."
How can Fascism and our constitutional system co-exist?

semi-related: I kept using the term "black community" in political discussions with a cop friend. he kept sneering when I said it. what gives? he explained there is no "black community" as whites envision it. There is no singular voice that can speak for all. maybe akin to talking to a Bosnian neighbor about Islamic terrorism.

made me think the folks getting the sound bites aren't as in touch with the community as we believe or they would have us believe.Your friend is is speaking from someone who does not give a dam about us.

How can Fascism and our constitutional system co-exist?
My take, based on that twitter thread’s take, is that authoritarians find the sweet spot of making sure the working class doesn’t give up the ghost of patriotism and “freedom.”

I've been digging this book so much that I might buy a 4Runner next spring and drive the trail. Brad, you are welcome to ride shotgun. We'll spend days in the middle of nowhere, so you might have to hold on to an actual shotgun in the passenger seat as well.
Wait til 2025. They’re putting out the first hybrid 4Runner that’s based on the iForce Max engine.

semi-related: I kept using the term "black community" in political discussions with a cop friend. he kept sneering when I said it. what gives? he explained there is no "black community" as whites envision it. There is no singular voice that can speak for all. maybe akin to talking to a Bosnian neighbor about Islamic terrorism.

made me think the folks getting the sound bites aren't as in touch with the community as we believe or they would have us believe.
That’s probably all true and whatnot but being a Black dude/ette that doesn’t follow the expectations of the larger group results in all sorts of pain and names (eg Uncle Tom). Any black personal critical of other black people is met with immediate vitriol.

That’s probably all true and whatnot but being a Black dude/ette that doesn’t follow the expectations of the larger group results in all sorts of pain and names (eg Uncle Tom). Any black personal critical of other black people is met with immediate vitriol.
Because they sold their souls to be white. They forget the people who died to allow them such freedoms. Even Clarence Thomas as an AA baby. He did not do it alone.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
How in the hell does a black dude be a white dude? Is all it takes for said black dude to reject your bullshit or is there more?
Ask Clarence Thomas, the perfect example. He has forgotten what being black means,

The biggest divide is between young adults and older ones, with the former increasingly saying no.

But:

"The share of adults saying the U.S. stands above all other countries dropped significantly in telephone surveys conducted between 2011 and 2019. While the decline in views of the United States’ global standing was concentrated among Democrats during these years, the decline over the past four years is concentrated among Republicans."

So is our nation great? Still, now, even with our current political divide and two elderly men roundly criticized by most up for President?

(I come asking this question after finishing Masters of the Air. The score makes me nostalgic and proud about this nation better than almost anything I've heard.)

I liken America to IU Basketball. You have to do inept things to screw it up. If you just let it run like it is supposed to then the natural outcome is for success. Whenever a President and Congress lowers taxes and gets rid of unneeded regulation then what happens? The economy explodes with growth. So the freedom of the American people to work,live, and spend the way they want is actually good for the country. Larger government is the antithesis. Government does not create wealth. It consumes wealth and strangles the ability for people to build it.

Reactions: DANC
Ask Clarence Thomas, the perfect example. He has forgotten what being black means,
If you think being black means something different from being human, you the problem.

Thousands died in the civil war to free the blacks so they could aspire to achieve what anyone wants. Now you are saying Blacis should have different aspirations?

Oh, Justice Thomas is black, he frequently writes and talks aboutWhat that means,

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
The "Greatest Generation" is often characterized as such for their service and sacrifice during WW2, yes?

Are we only great when we're engaged in mass killing campaigns?

No. The greatest generation is more known for our post war accomplishments in business, politics, arts, athletics, culture, — everything.

Agree.

However, the country was in an ideal situation compared to the rest of the world.

Wonder how much credit can be given to the GI Bill which enabled many of the post war veterans and future business, government, and community leaders to get a college education.

Agree.

However, the country was in an ideal situation compared to the rest of the world.

Wonder how much credit can be given to the GI Bill which enabled many of the post war veterans and future business, government, and community leaders to get a college education.
I think the Marshal Plan is one of that generations greatest accomplishments.

The GI Bill was instrumental in building the US, but globally, the effects of US post-war aid - and lack of retribution - changed the course of history for the better.

As he became more educated, he realized how the black population was being duped by Democrats.

That happens when you become educated.
NO, HE has forgotten the racist and bigoted views of the GOP. That white men only should rule America, That Black people are not equal, to kill black progress and advancement. We got trump because of POTUS OBAMA
A white supremacist who has no morals or integrity because of white fear. If you are not strong you will lose your country. Deporting Immigrants. Attacking civil rights and voting rights , fronting with black conservatives like Thomas, Scott, Owens, and M Roberson, who lie to black people..

Reactions: NewGuyToTheBoard
NO, HE has forgotten the racist and bigoted views of the GOP. That white men only should rule America, That Black people are not equal, to kill black progress and advancement. We got trump because of POTUS OBAMA
A white supremacist who has no morals or integrity because of white fear. If you are not strong you will lose your country. Deporting Immigrants. Attacking civil rights and voting rights , fronting with black conservatives like Thomas, Scott, Owens, and M Roberson, who lie to black people..
Learn some history, moron. If it wasn't for the GOP, the Civil Rights act wouldn't have been passed.

Stop spouting Democrat lies.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
I think the Marshal Plan is one of that generations greatest accomplishments.

The GI Bill was instrumental in building the US, but globally, the effects of US post-war aid - and lack of retribution - changed the course of history for the better.
Mostly for white people, white affirmative actions. You got housing, banking, and jobs. We were sent to separate parts of the city Ex, redlining We got Jim Crow. YOU guys destroy AA but you got Legacy, your parents and your grandparents College ED, JOBS, LAND, but more than that white power.

Jealous huh? Does it really upset you to see a black person be successful... apparently so.
Jealousy no, He rather help a white person than a black. That's why you sticking up for him. He is a sad individual.

Obama was the deporter in chief. Record deportations, blew Trump out of the water.

It must’ve been his White fear.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT