ADVERTISEMENT

The End of the American Dream

i'm leaving the office in 15 minutes to respond to his weekly incident reports. he's not trending that way

He's setting the tone, playing the long game if you will.

The boys know not to mess with him. The girls know he will be their protector.

Yet, he's got some smarts to him I feel.

He's a ladies man.

so i do have advice borne of much experience and many years of coaching. you need to have a sit down before high school tryouts and tell him it is very unlikely he is going to make it. he's probably going to get cut. but if you love it and are as desperate as you say you can't control size but you can control stickhandling and skating. so get in the basemetn and instead of playing xbox practice stickhandling nonstop. every free moment you don't have homework you practice. and every chance you have to skate, skate. bc you can overcome physical limitations by building pure skill. americans have a bias for size. my old teammates and i used to joke that the greatest midfield combo ever of iniesta and xavi wouldn't have started for any of the acc schools. but in time that skill just breaks through. set a target of junior year to make the team. have to be patient. not easy when you're a kid
Just delivered my grandson and daughter to airport for a tournament in Minneapolis. They play St Louis Sting Tomorrow.

for so many, and a solution. Get a stoker who makes money. All of you posters WITH SONS impress upon them the importance of marrying an earner. @IUCrazy2 you're big into marriage. make sure all your boys marry the right type of girl. career girls. oh and move to a school district with good schools. 12 years of "free" education.

we also see the downside of single moms and dads etc with poverty and crime. i think marriage and staying married would cure much of what ails this country

irony is not lost....

The heart knows, what the heart knows.

Appreciate it. Yeah, I spent a past life coaching a lot of baseball.

I've been very upfront with him, from the day he started hockey (late at age 10). I've made him a shooting tarp and have synthetic ice in the garage, put up a hockey rink in my backyard for him to skate on in the winter (if it's ever cold enough--this weather sucks). I get him to extra skates, sign him up for every extra practice session, etc. Even signed him up to ref games to get him extra ice time (which means I have to drive him all over to do that, too) I've pretty much turned over all my free time to figuring out ways for him to practice/get better.

I've already told him there is no guarantee and they cut on the high school club. As we get closer to the tryout dates in July/August, I'm going to make it clearer. Had this same thing last year with jr. high basketball. But at least with this, if he doesn't make his high school club, he can play with the team he's on now all the way through high school.

The trick is to get him to treat math the same way. Kid is a natural at that, two grade levels ahead, but says he doesn't like it (he thinks its nerdy. And chicks do dig the athletes over the mathletes at that age. Unlike now :) ).
Yeah I think he’s gonna be alright. Whatever happens with hockey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT