ADVERTISEMENT

Breyer

If I was McConnell, I would play nice if the candidate is anywhere near qualified, and show the American people that not all Senators are assholes. I very much doubt that will happen, but that is what I hope for.

Which one would that be?

Biden saying that he would only consider a black female was bad. His saying that such a pick is over due and that group needed “representation” on SCOTUS and made it worse. Biden has no clue about what a justice does. Let’s hope his pick is better than he is.
Biden is doing this solely for himself and his own ego. He wants to be remembered in the history books as is his delusional head hs is some sort of modern day MLK be it a racist version. It is all about making history to this clown and nothing that is is plain and simple.

President Joe Biden makes his pick. Biden said as a candidate that if he were given the chance to nominate someone to the court, he would make history by choosing a Black woman. The White House has reiterated Biden’s campaign pledge since his election.

Biden is doing this solely for himself and his own ego. He wants to be remembered in the history books as is his delusional head hs is some sort of modern day MLK be it a racist version. It is all about making history to this clown and nothing that is is plain and simple.

President Joe Biden makes his pick. Biden said as a candidate that if he were given the chance to nominate someone to the court, he would make history by choosing a Black woman. The White House has reiterated Biden’s campaign pledge since his election.
BDS

Anyone else glad Cornpop is not around to be in the discussion? To me the statement he made makes anyone he nominates suspect as far as getting appointed. It was ridiculous

So give it to a well-deserved black lady. Don’t announce you’re giving it to a black lady ahead of time. It’s racial pandering and it stinks.

These complaints should scan as absurd to anybody with an even glancing familiarity with the history of Supreme Court nominations, which have long involved demographic considerations. Ronald Reagan explicitly promised to nominate a woman during his run for president before picking Sandra Day O’Connor. When George H.W. Bush had to fill the seat of the court’s first black justice, Thurgood Marshall, he went with Clarence Thomas. (“I don’t feel he’s a quota,” Bush said at the time.) And as Jonathan Chait noted Thursday, there were commonly acknowledged Catholic and Jewish seats on the court during the mid-twentieth century.
However, it was not until last night that I personally learned that Reagan chose Antonin Scalia—the father of originalism, the patron saint of conservative jurisprudence—for the court at least in part because he was “of Italian extraction.”

I 100% agree that I wish he didn't say it, but he did. But what is wrong with him wanting to get some different representation on the court and a sitting president keeping his word on a campaign promise for once? He said he was going to do it, so now he gets to do it. It's a perk or winning. He won, so now he gets to keep his word. Hard to believe in this day and age, a politician keeping his word, but in this rare instance, it just may happen.
He shouldn’t have said it then and he shouldn’t have said it now. It’s pandering and it’s unacceptable. Despite all of my disdain for Trump, Biden cost my vote during his overt racial pandering. Pandering divides and doesn’t unify. Pick a black woman that’s highly qualified, by all means. Don’t virtue signal about it.

Long live Jo Jorgensen.

Last edited by a moderator:

These complaints should scan as absurd to anybody with an even glancing familiarity with the history of Supreme Court nominations, which have long involved demographic considerations. Ronald Reagan explicitly promised to nominate a woman during his run for president before picking Sandra Day O’Connor. When George H.W. Bush had to fill the seat of the court’s first black justice, Thurgood Marshall, he went with Clarence Thomas. (“I don’t feel he’s a quota,” Bush said at the time.) And as Jonathan Chait noted Thursday, there were commonly acknowledged Catholic and Jewish seats on the court during the mid-twentieth century.
However, it was not until last night that I personally learned that Reagan chose Antonin Scalia—the father of originalism, the patron saint of conservative jurisprudence—for the court at least in part because he was “of Italian extraction.”
It’s all dumb - did you expect me to defend that?

It depends. Will he choose a moron like Harris? That was a race/gender pick and she couldn't be a worse candidate.

If he picks someone good - great, but again that person will invariably be stigmatized as the aff action justice. If it wasn't racial pandering he would have just done it.
I don’t think anybody (me included) really cares if the list is really limited to a specific race and sex. But that became a litmus test for people is sad. There are ways to do things and there are ways to do things. That’s not the way to do things meant to unify. Just pick her and get her approved.

Reactions: NPT and mcmurtry66
It’s all dumb - did you expect me to defend that?

Yes, it's all dumb. Especially all the gnashing of teeth over Biden doing what has been done for forever. What real difference is there between Biden saying he's going to do it and doing it without a prior commitment? Do you think Bailey or Jet or Cray would believe a black woman was the "best candidate" when she was announced? That they wouldn't claim there was pandering involved? That they'd concern themselves with her qualifications instead of her race or sex?

Yes, it's all dumb. Especially all the gnashing of teeth over Biden doing what has been done for forever. What real difference is there between Biden saying he's going to do it and doing it without a prior commitment? Do you think Bailey or Jet or Cray would believe a black woman was the "best candidate" when she was announced? That they wouldn't claim there was pandering involved? That they'd concern themselves with her qualifications instead of her race or sex?
You don't really have much of an understanding do you? I don't know who the candidates may be but when you announce you are going to pick only from a very tiny percentage of the population it already says a lot.

Because in a summer campaign that was waged while the Left and media let (and in some cases told) minorities think that police and conservatives were at war with them he decided to show “leadership” by overt pandering.

Racial pandering is part of the Big Grift - and further divides. I would hold - and have held - any politician and candidate liable for any pandering be it to Oath Keepers or otherwise well-intentioned BLM protestors. It’s disgusting to appeal to any kind of identity.

Reactions: NPT
They only need 50 and they'll get it. It's a shame that USSC Justices are only getting votes from those of the President's party in recent years. It's sad, actually.
Exactly when Ginsburg (sp??) was approved something like 95-5 (don't know exactly). When they become political appointments? Was Bork the first where all this crap started or was there some before that?

He shouldn’t have said it then and he shouldn’t have said it now. It’s pandering and it’s unacceptable. Despite all of my disdain for Trump, Biden cost my vote during his overt racial pandering. Pandering divides and doesn’t unify. Pick a black womanly that’s highly qualified, by all means. Don’t virtue signal about it.

Long live Jo Jorgensen.

We don't deserve Jo.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
We don't deserve Jo.

facts-big.gif

The shitshow out of the process was McConnell stealing a spot on the surpreme court back when an opening came up under Obama.

Obama nominated a moderate liberal for the spot. Someone that hardly rocked the boat. Trump and GOP stacked the court with far right nuts.

Your opinion on dems making a shitshow out of the process is a load of crud.
You cite one example, which may have some merit. I can quote numerous examples, going back to Thomas where Dems have shown their collective asses in the nomination process. In fact, every one but Roberts.

I don't know, either. Ask the OP and the other posters in this thread who have raised their disagreement with Biden over his campaign promise.
What do think would have happened if Trump had campaigned on appointing a white woman or man to the court if he got another chance? Biden should have just kept his mouth shut and not telegraphed what he was gonna do and went ahead and done it. Color is NOT a qualification to be a Supreme Court justice. You and I know he was just campaigning for the black votes which he already had.

You cite one example, which may have some merit. I can quote numerous examples, going back to Thomas where Dems have shown their collective asses in the nomination process. In fact, every one but Roberts.

Maybe if the Republicans didn't name such shitty candidates the Dems wouldn't treat them so shabbily.

Exactly when Ginsburg (sp??) was approved something like 95-5 (don't know exactly). When they become political appointments? Was Bork the first where all this crap started or was there some before that?
Some say Bork is when it all started to go downhill. Then there was Thomas, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. Progressively worse behavior.

Some say Bork is when it all started to go downhill. Then there was Thomas, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. Progressively worse behavior.

Gorsuch himself wasn't treated poorly. The circumstances that led to his nomination were a travesty and that's where the outrage was focused.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Maybe if the Republicans didn't name such shitty candidates the Dems wouldn't treat them so shabbily.
Liberal leaning judges vote "along party lines" way more than the conservative wing. In other words, conservative judges are able to think independently of each other, while the liberal wing is nothing more than a waddle of penguins.

Reactions: NPT and Crayfish57
That's bogus. The candidates aren't shitty at all. This is part of the problem we have: "their candidates are extreme." That BS from partisans of both parties.

I'll just have to disagree with you on that. Roberts was a good pick. But Thomas and Alito are outliers. Gorsuch seems to be well grounded. Kavanaugh is a lightweight who got the nod in a deal with Kennedy. Barrett... too early to tell, but I'll be surprised if she proves to be anything but an ideologue.

I'll just have to disagree with you on that. Roberts was a good pick. But Thomas and Alito are outliers. Gorsuch seems to be well grounded. Kavanaugh is a lightweight who got the nod in a deal with Kennedy. Barrett... too early to tell, but I'll be surprised if she proves to be anything but an ideologue.
There isn't a lightweight on the court, conservative, liberal or in between. We just disagree with some of them for their judicial philosophies.

One Republican. Mitch McConnell. He couldn't allow the confirmation to proceed because he knew he would be confirmed.
You can blame one if you want, I think it was bad behavior by the entire Republican caucus. They should have spoken up for what's right, which is a vote and have the courage to stand by those votes - up or down.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Why don't you define ''shitty '' for us ? You seem to be an expert on that

Trump shockingly picked Gorsuch and the Dems showed their asses.

it doesn't matter who the pick is the other side is gonna dick.

Reactions: NPT
I 100% agree that I wish he didn't say it, but he did. But what is wrong with him wanting to get some different representation on the court and a sitting president keeping his word on a campaign promise for once? He said he was going to do it, so now he gets to do it. It's a perk or winning. He won, so now he gets to keep his word. Hard to believe in this day and age, a politician keeping his word, but in this rare instance, it just may happen.
Trump got no credit from the opposition party for all the campaign promises he followed through on. He did get hell for a couple that he didn’t exactly follow through on (Mexico paying for the wall).

Reactions: Crayfish57
In other words if Republicans would pick candidates that agree with all the Democrats' position they would be treated well.... got it.

No, if they didn't nominate people that groped women against their will then there wouldn't be an issue. Of course, putting limits on the investigation really showed the Gop's true colors.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT