ADVERTISEMENT

Rocky rides off into the sunset...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Since so many of us have Bloomington/IU ties I thought some might be familair with local legend Rocky Rice and might relate to different aspects of this story. I hadn't really heard of Rocky myself till this past spring, although I spent enough time ordering and picking up from Swing In over the years that I probably came across him in some capacity.

His dad was the founder of Swing-In, and when I was at IU in the mid-70s the original Swing-In located on 17th was regarded as a popular, comparatively inexpensive pizza spot known for their stroms and diced ingredients. I don't ever remember eating inside, it was mainly a take out place where as the name implied you "swing in" to pick up your order...

Anyway back in the spring a couple of my friends from Karst Dog Park were discussing a place called Rocky's pizza, which I had never heard of. My one friend plays banjo in a bluegrass band, and they frequently played at a place called Rocky's Pizza. My other friend and her husband had gone to one of the shows, and she was going on and on about how great the pizza was.I love pizza,and the way she described it made it sound delicious, so I filed the info away for future reference...

Fast forward a month or so and I was scheduled to have a nuclear stress test, which meant I had to fast for close to 24 hrs.As I was driving back home and checking out the changes to one of my college residences (Colonial Crest) I passed by the area where the old Steak N Shake used to be and saw the name Rocky's Pizza.

I hadn't known the exact location but thinking about what Emily had said I decided that I needed to turn around and check it out because I was starving. It wasn't exactly what I expected since it was in a strip mall and the store was basically empty. But I ordered my pizza from the grizzled old man and sat down to wait for my order.

There was only one other customer a young mother and her 9 yr old son, who were in the adjacent booth. We made polite conversation and I would later learn that she was a transplanted Kentuckian and her husband was connected with IU basketball in some way that she didn't specify.

There were many IU related pics hanging on the walls, pics of RMK and various players as well as the same old man who I had ordered from. Those all had a combination Western/semi law enforcement theme and as you'll see in the video below various MAGA items and a framed " America Love it or leave it" on the wall.

At some point the guy behind the counter walked over and sat down with the woman, and introduced himself as Rocky the owner. That's when she introduced herself and mentioned the IU connection and Rocky started telling us his history with IU over the years. I should mention that he was wearing an old west type holster with movie style six shooters on both his left and right sides.

I intially though he might be some sort of sheriff, and he actually showed us a pic of himself sitting on what looked to be one of those mounted patrol parade golden palominos, and IIRC Ronald Reagan was in the shot as well. He talked about how he was active in GOP politics, was a cowboy at heart and had been born 200 yrs too late. It was kind of surreal to me, like a character in a movie...

The thing that really got me was when he talked about being part of the security detail for Greg Locke. He was explaing who he was to the lady who didn't know and I was struck that he described Locke as a "crazy radical right wing preacher", which is how I would describe Locke from my own perspective. But it was strange hearing him refer to Locke as a right wing radical, and it kind of struck me as a case of ultra MAGA meets ultra ultra MAGA.

He said he would likely be travelling down to TN in the fall for his annual tour of providing a mounted security detail for Locke.He and the woman seemed to be of a similar mindset and he continued to talk with her about subjects that struck me as bizarre for a Fri afternoon in a deserted pizza shop in a strip mall. I just listened politely, as I had nothing to contrbiute and was not looking to participate in a pizza shop political debate.

Eventually they brought our orders out from the back and I said goodbye and was on my way. The pizza was good, but I was disappointed after the superlatives my friend had hurled. I told both my friends that I had met Rocky, and how he was a unique character. I thought of him as an old man, which is strange since it turns out he was only 62, which is 6 yrs younger than I am.

But he was definitely"different", and since I was not impressed with the quality of the pizza with regards to the price (way higher than the 1 yr old video linked below) I decided that I was glad to experience it once. But I would not be adding it to my personal favorites and decided a little good natured ribbing of my friend Emily was in order. She's pretty far from MAGA herself...

So fast forward to two weeks ago, I'm at Karst and I overhear my friend Paul discussing a "hostage situation" that occurred the previous day in Heltonville. Turns out Rocky was married to a younger woman and being highly jealous suspected her of messing around.

The gist was that Rocky had stormed into her place of business and threatened her and may have even held her at gunpoint. At any rate, officers arrived and after the situation was apparently defused Rocky suddenly pulled a gun from his belt behind his back,aimed at his head and shot himself.

Except for some reason he missed,and rather than blow his head off he merely suffered a grazing wound. They took him to the hospital, and since these events had only happened the previous day any further details were limited. His wound wasn't serious and everyone expected he'd be fine,exacept for the legal consequences.

I resolved to get an update from my friend the next time I saw him, but he wasn't at the dog park last Wed. Since I only come once or twice a week from Bloomfield, I didn't see Paul until yesterday.

So yesterday we're all standing around talking and I ask for an update on Rocky, and he tells me he ended up hanging himself in his horse barn. Apparently he was released from the psych ward, and for some reason there was no supervision between his release and his scheduled court appearance. Paul said that he had messaged Rocky on FB offering for his band to do a fundraiser (assuming he had legal expenses) but had never heard back. It sounds like Rocky was increasingly despondent over his legal and family issues, and then one day he made a post apologizing to everyone over all the trouble he caused.

Paul said he got a phone call subsequently informing him that Rocky had killed himself about a week or so ago. I hadn't known his full name previously, but when Paul told me it was Rice I decided to try and get details from googling.

Below is a link to his obit, which I found earlier this morning. I also turned up a few youtube videos, including 3 or 4 from (presumably) Indians reading his obituary in accents so thick it's basically incomprehensible. It seems like some click bait idea to get views, but there are less than 100 views on each video so I can't imagine they're making any revenue. I did find a video review of Rocky's Pizza that's a year old, but it gives some insight into who Rocky was.

Apologies for the length, but I thought some of you might have had your own experiences with Rocky.

After watching this video all the way thru, I was reminded that when I met Rocky he brought some of the wagon wheels out to where I was seated for us to taste...

Last edited:
The whole lake incident that finally got outed as a lie and her backing away wasn’t great for her career either I’m sure. Anyway RIP Rocky.

I doubt that cost her much. She's like Dershowitz. She takes on the cases that no one else will, usually for the most unsympathetic defendants imaginable. It's not like she gives much of a shit for what people think of her, but the Bloomington criminal legal community is small and inbred and she needs to be careful about pissing too many people off for stuff outside the practice of law.

The whole lake incident that finally got outed as a lie and her backing away wasn’t great for her career either I’m sure. Anyway RIP Rocky.

Always seemed a dubious story to me, but her calling no joy and opting out silently after seeing all the evidence convinced me it was a "Jussie".

Mentioned in another thread, whenever I hung w Rocky he seemed to just really be bummed about the loss of the good ole days. I don't want to throw any unsubstantiated rumors out there, but there is one that asserts he potentially had some other brain related medical issues that were causing some irrationality...which sounds plausible.

Certainly don't like to see him go out like he did.

Always seemed a dubious story to me, but her calling no joy and opting out silently after seeing all the evidence convinced me it was a "Jussie".

Mentioned in another thread, whenever I hung w Rocky he seemed to just really be bummed about the loss of the good ole days. I don't want to throw any unsubstantiated rumors out there, but there is one that asserts he potentially had some other brain related medical issues that were causing some irrationality...which sounds plausible.

Certainly don't like to see him go out like he did.
It was dubious.(lake incident)He was giant turd. The whole group waited for a soundbite.

Rocky stuck out like a sore thumb but was generally accepted as part of the quirky Bloomington local scene. We lost another colorful character. I’ll miss him and that several decade old pizza recipe.

Vauhxx Booker...what an attention seeking POS and Kitty Liell represented him. She's about as liberal as they come and they all come hardcore liberal in Bloomington. I wonder what kind of political activism Booker is stirring up these days.

Vauhxx Booker...what an attention seeking POS and Kitty Liell represented him. She's about as liberal as they come and they all come hardcore liberal in Bloomington. I wonder what kind of political activism Booker is stirring up these days.
Booker tried to start shit in an Indy bar and assaulted a Black officer. It didn’t go well.

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

This is kinda long buried locally, but I appreciate you pulling it up again.

As a somewhat outsider just moving here in 2020, this was obviously fakery at the utmost....but these morons in Bloomington bought it. 😄

Local shitlibs looked at it as their local "George Floyd"...but just turned out to be more overdramatic BS.

As a somewhat outsider just moving here in 2020, this was obviously fakery at the utmost....but these morons in Bloomington bought it. 😄

Local shitlibs looked at it as their local "George Floyd"...but just turned out to be more overdramatic BS.
It was actually national news. It died off once the local prosecutor punted it. The new prosecutor wasn’t having any of it. They tried making her out as a racist but it didn’t stick and everyone turned their back on him. The judge denied him a public defender because of the go fund me money. That money disappeared. 😉 I think rumor had it he traveled with it. True colors.

Yeah, I called BS on the lynching attempt right away. Bloomington's liberal maniacs had a downtown protest march that same evening. Remember some lady "plowing" into the protesters with her car and then fleeing. They later found her in a Bedford hotel but nothing became of it. The national media bit the whole line and sinker. Naturally, the liberal media never had much of a follow up. They were all duped by another "Jussie Smollet". The sad thing is, they didn't even care because they had already had their 15 min. of "fame".

It was actually national news. It died off once the local prosecutor punted it. The new prosecutor wasn’t having any of it. They tried making her out as a racist but it didn’t stick and everyone turned their back on him. The judge denied him a public defender because of the go fund me money. That money disappeared. 😉 I think rumor had it he traveled with it. True colors.

The locals all knew it was bullshit. It was the transient "activists" looking to do some justice between classes who swallowed it.

Kitty Liell is like our local Dershowitz -- she'll defend the lowest of the low. Even she walked away from Booker once she saw what was going on.

Kitty Liell is like our local Dershowitz -- she'll defend the lowest of the low. Even she walked away from Booker once she saw what was going on.

"Once she saw what was going on"?

Bullshit. Anyone with a dick knew what was going on, immediately. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You knew it.

I think she actually bought the bullshit. She's a local shitlib idiot that's celebrated as some legal genius...who predictably was outed as a typical leftist gobbler.

You know it. I know it. Even yellow dog knows it.

She quietly walked away once the new prosecutor made it clear she wasn’t in lala land anymore.

She quietly walked away once the new prosecutor made it clear she wasn’t in lala land anymore.

Kitty takes on cases that no one else will. She specializes in male IU students who get caught up in the kangaroo court at IU that assumes every male student who get accused of "sexual assault" is a rapist. She defended the kid that accosted the owners of a middle eastern restaurant with racist rants. She's now defending the driver that killed an IU student who was on a scooter on north Walnut. And on and on. Like I said, she'll defend the worst. And she's damn good. If I'm ever in need of a criminal defense lawyer, she's my first and only call.

Disclaimer: we've met socially several times. She's fun to party with. I doubt she'd remember who I am now, but I was very close to her brother and sister in law.

Kitty takes on cases that no one else will. She specializes in male IU students who get caught up in the kangaroo court at IU that assumes every male student who get accused of "sexual assault" is a rapist. She defended the kid that accosted the owners of a middle eastern restaurant with racist rants. She's now defending the driver that killed an IU student who was on a scooter on north Walnut. And on and on. Like I said, she'll defend the worst. And she's damn good. If I'm ever in need of a criminal defense lawyer, she's my first and only call.

Disclaimer: we've met socially several times. She's fun to party with. I doubt she'd remember who I am now, but I was very close to her brother and sister in law.
I’m not with you on that. She tries to make bad people look good by making good people look bad.

I’m not with you on that. She tries to make bad people look good by making good people look bad.

Whatever. You guys insist on painting her as some "shitlib". She makes a living defending people who are being targeted by all you condemn. Getting involved with Booker was a mistake, yes, but if you had a college kid accused of banging a sorority girl when they were both shitfaced and she later claimed rape, Kitty would be the one you'd want in your corner.

Whatever. You guys insist on painting her as some "shitlib". She makes a living defending people who are being targeted by all you condemn. Getting involved with Booker was a mistake, yes, but if you had a college kid accused of banging a sorority girl when they were both shitfaced and she later claimed rape, Kitty would be the one you'd want in your corner.
She is and I won’t back down from that. You have personal ties to her. I don’t.

Shitlibs? That’s so weak and pathetic and makes you look really stupid. Was that your point?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
"Once she saw what was going on"?

Bullshit. Anyone with a dick knew what was going on, immediately. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You knew it.

I think she actually bought the bullshit. She's a local shitlib idiot that's celebrated as some legal genius...who predictably was outed as a typical leftist gobbler.

You know it. I know it. Even yellow dog knows it.
Anyone with a dick knew what was going on? A leftist gobbler? You may need to sleep it off.

She, like you, aren't considered "shitlibs"...at least IMO.

It's the blue-haired, cat owning followers that lap up anything "progressive" at the county square that I'm referring to.

You know, the people dancing on Rocky's grave, referring to him as a Nazi in his obituary because of his right leaning takes.

Kitty decided throwing her support behind one of these shitlibs on a Bloomingtonian post. Shocking, but whatever.

She, like you, aren't considered "shitlibs"...at least IMO.

It's the blue-haired, cat owning followers that lap up anything "progressive" at the county square that I'm referring to.

You know, the people dancing on Rocky's grave, referring to him as a Nazi in his obituary because of his right leaning takes.

Kitty decided throwing her support behind one of these shitlibs on a Bloomingtonian post. Shocking, but whatever.
Progressives are a vile cancer. Nothing less

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT