ADVERTISEMENT

How to salvage annoying and insulting (to my intelligence) commercials...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
One of my major pet peeves is I hate most commercials, but especially ones that I regard as an insult to my intelligence. I figure I can't be the only one, so I wanted to start a thread to provide an oppty for those of us in the same boat to provide a means where those ultra cringy wastes of time transform into awesome works of cinematography and creative genius.

Actually I'm just interested in finding out what commercials everyone hates and how you'd make them better and in general humourous...

So what about the relatively new Aldi spot where the guy is telling his daughter that the prices just can't legitimately be this low. He runs from the store like a madman yelling don't look back and she's beyond embarrassed...

For this one I see a scene reminiscent of Six Feet Under where in flashbacks the family patriarch's manner of death is revealed.He is preoccupied and absent mindedly pulls out in front of a semi and is obliterated. From that point on he's a ghost...

So how about as the looney guy is making his "escape" and embarrassing the hell out of his kid, he runs straight into the path of a semi and is squashed like a bug.The semi continues right across the screen, and we notice that the trailer has a very pronounced ALDI printed on it's side. For an added touch the semi driver could be heard to say something to the effect of "scratch another one"...or "that'll teach ya"...

Then there is the one where some old guy with a thick Scottish brogue is talking about some guy who came to Scotland and was humbled. I must admit I have never watched this one all the way thru, so I always imagined it was some sort of Scottish tourism pitch. The (presumably) American golfer is shown attempting to get out of a sand trap. And another shot shows him with his back to a beuatiful body of water, presumably a lake (loch).

So what if while he's standing there addressing the ball not paying any attention to the lake, Nessie the Loch Ness Monster suddenly emerges out of the lake from behind him, wraps her tongue around him and snatches him out of thin air into her mouth. She proceeds to swallow him and we cut to the old guy who suddenly stand up from his chair and says "That reminds me, time for me lunch"...

And I thought the Apartments.com and homes.com spots either starred Jeff Goldblum, or someone who looks remarkably like him. I normally like Jeff Goldblum, just as I usually like Melissa McCarthy. But both the Apartments/homes spots where Goldblum is Brad and the booking.com where Melissa shares screen time with a seagull drive me bonkers.

I've never been able to make any sense of the booking spots- they just seem remarkably stupid and insipid. WTH does booking.yeah even mean? I just shake my head that they spent that kind of money.

Both of Melissa's booking spots could be rescued by minor changes. Like a scene straight out of Hitchcok where a horde of seagulls descend on her and rip her to shreds. The ad could close with one of the birds doing something to the straw she was sucking on...

Then the other one when her and hubby are leaning over the hotel balcony in their robes... Man I just want him to go all Jeckyl and Hyde and suddenly grab her and throw her over the balcony. Now that would make it a memorable ad spot.

But the homes.com where the chick is getting her haircut and they are discussing the neighborhood she's moved in to, is partcularly infuriating to me. WTH does her having an eyebrow accidentally removed have to do with homes? It's like they think we're stupid.

I particularly hate that homes.com spot, and would not be too upset if everyone in the beaty salon met their demise and ended up victims of some senseless crime Or maybe some elderly or disoriented person might suddenly drive their car thru a plate glass window or a wall into the shop. Like the scene from Raymond when Marie is driving and her and Frank crash thru Deborah and Raymond's wall.

That Raymond scene had some classic lines from all 4 of them.,So maybe the homes crew could create some witty dialogue to tie in with the whole homes theme. Like maybe the beautician worked out of her home, and now she needs a new shop and a new home?

Well that's the general idea. I can't think of any others off hand. These are the ones that crossed my screen today and provided inspiration for the thread. I'm sure there will be more forth coming, because in general I hate (stupid) commercials...

Last edited:
One of my major pet peeves is I hate most commercials, but especially ones that I regard as an insult to my intelligence. I figure I can't be the only one, so I wanted to start a thread to provide an oppty for those of us in the same boat to provide a means where those ultra cringy wastes of time transform into awesome works of cinematography and creative genius.

Actually I'm just interested in finding out what commercials everyone hates and how you'd make them better and in general humourous...

So what about the relatively new Aldi spot where the guy is telling his daughter that the prices just can't legitimately be this low. He runs from the store like a madman yelling don't look back and she's beyond embarrassed...

For this one I see a scene reminiscent of Six Feet Under where in flashbacks the family patriarch's manner of death is revealed.He is preoccupied and absent mindedly pulls out in front of a semi and is obliterated. From that point on he's a ghost...

So how about as the looney guy is making his "escape" and embarrassing the hell out of his kid, he runs straight into the path of a semi and is squashed like a bug.The semi continues right across the screen, and we notice that the trailer has a very pronounced ALDI printed on it's side. For an added touch the semi driver could be heard to say something to the effect of "scratch another one"...or "that'll teach ya"...

Then there is the one where some old guy with a thick Scottish brogue is talking about some guy who came to Scotland and was humbled. I must admit I have never watched this one all the way thru, so I always imagined it was some sort of Scottish tourism pitch. The (presumably) American golfer is shown attempting to get out of a sand trap. And another shot shows him with his back to a beuatiful body of water, presumably a lake (loch).

So what if while he's standing there addressing the ball not paying any attention to the lake, Nessie the Loch Ness Monster suddenly emerges out of the lake from behind him, wraps her tongue around him and snatches him out of thin air into her mouth. She proceeds to swallow him and we cut to the old guy who suddenly stand up from his chair and says "That reminds me, time for me lunch"...

And I thought the Apartments.com and homes.com spots either starred Jeff Goldblum, or someone who looks remarkably like him. I normally like Jeff Goldblum, just as I usually like Melissa McCarthy. But both the Apartments/homes spots where Goldblum is Brad and the booking.com where Melissa shares screen time with a seagull drive me bonkers.

I've never been able to make any sense of the booking spots- they just seem remarkably stupid and insipid. WTH does booking.yeah even mean? I just shake my head that they spent that kind of money.

Both of Melissa's booking spots could be rescued by minor changes. Like a scene straight out of Hitchcok where a horde of seagulls descend on her and rip her to shreds. The ad could close with one of the birds doing something to the straw she was sucking on...

Then the other one when her and hubby are leaning over the hotel balcony in their robes... Man I just want him to go all Jeckyl and Hyde and suddenly grab her and throw her over the balcony. Now that would make it a memorable ad spot.

But the homes.com where the chick is getting her haircut and they are discussing the neighborhood she's moved in to, is partcularly infuriating to me. WTH does her having an eyebrow accidentally removed have to do with homes? It's like they think we're stupid.

I particularly hate that homes.com spot, and would not be too upset if everyone in the beaty salon met their demise and ended up victims of some senseless crime Or maybe some elderly or disoriented person might suddenly drive their car thru a plate glass window or a wall into the shop. Like the scene from Raymond when Marie is driving and her and Frank crash thru Deborah and Raymond's wall.

That Raymond scene had some classic lines from all 4 of them.,So maybe the homes crew could create some witty dialogue to tie in with the whole homes theme. Like maybe the beautician worked out of her home, and now she needs a new shop and a new home?

Well that's the general idea. I can't think of any others off hand. These are the ones that crossed my screen today and provided inspiration for the thread. I'm sure there will be more forth coming, because in general I hate (stupid) commercials...
Remember what Elvis reportedly did when something appeared on TV that he didn't like? I get that same urge every time the "Jublia" (for toenail fungus) commercial comes on. You know, the one with the annoying, bratty girl and the snarky female doctor/medical professional.

To recap, the girl questions what's going on with one of dad's toes, and he suggests it's no big deal and that the problem will go away on its own. The scene then quickly shifts to a female doctor who, in a condescending tone, says: "No, it won't go away on its own. It's an infection." I want to tell her, "That's such bullshit. Infections can and often do go away on their own." (But, yes, fungal infections can be stubborn and problematic).

The effed up daughter becomes triggered by the sight of dad's toe (which doesn't even look that bad) and yells, "Mom, come here!" She obviously views dad as an incompetent know-nothing who must be saved by mom.

I despise that commercial.

• Love
Reactions: larsIU
Remember what Elvis reportedly did when something appeared on TV that he didn't like? I get that same urge every time the "Jublia" (for toenail fungus) commercial comes on. You know, the one with the annoying, bratty girl and the snarky female doctor/medical professional.

To recap, the girl questions what's going on with one of dad's toes, and he suggests it's no big deal and that the problem will go away on its own. The scene then quickly shifts to a female doctor who, in a condescending tone, says: "No, it won't go away on its own. It's an infection." I want to tell her, "That's such bullshit. Infections can and often do go away on their own." (But, yes, fungal infections can be stubborn and problematic).

The effed up daughter becomes triggered by the sight of dad's toe (which doesn't even look that bad) and yells, "Mom, come here!" She obviously views dad as an incompetent know-nothing who must be saved by mom.

I despise that commercial.
Burger King song. Nails on a chalkboard

Any ED commercial. I don't need it yet.

Also don't want to see adults holding hands while sitting in separate bath tubs outside. I'd prefer they just start humping each other. Or argue about whose turn it is to warm up the water. Or better yet, show some old dude waiting on a much younger woman to meet and hug him . . .

You're a fatty hater, aren't you?
Soon, fatness might go extinct:

Reactions: UncleMark
Buffalo Wild Wings commercial on basketball fundamentals certainly hits home.
Should be run on a continuous loop in Bloomington.
You guys are mentioning some that I've never really seen. I don't have cable so I watch very little live TV. And I guess some of my personal frustration stems from the fact that the commercials which irk me the most are repeatedly shown during the course of you tube videos I'm watching.

Here's a compendum of those inane homes.com ones that make me want to pull what little hair I have left out. Or strangle someone... Don't think I've ever seen the third one before. It's not as offensive as the first two, although I still wouldn't be upset if the chopper crashed in a fireball...

On the other hand this VW spot actually strikes me as creative and makes sense. Neil Diamond's lyrics actually fit in with the theme of the ad and it just works...

I actually bartered my ration card allotment of 4 cartons of Marlboros (I don't smoke) for a (VW) bug in Germany. Drove it for an entire year with no issues, until I totalled it on a snowy road...

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
You guys are mentioning some that I've never really seen. I don't have cable so I watch very little live TV. And I guess some of my personal frustration stems from the fact that the commercials which irk me the most are repeatedly shown during the course of you tube videos I'm watching.

Here's a compendum of those inane homes.com ones that make me want to pull what little hair I have left out. Or strangle someone... Don't think I've ever seen the third one before. It's not as offensive as the first two, although I still wouldn't be upset if the chopper crashed in a fireball...

On the other hand this VW spot actually strikes me as creative and makes sense. Neil Diamond's lyrics actually fit in with the theme of the ad and it just works...

I actually bartered my ration card allotment of 4 cartons of Marlboros (I don't smoke) for a (VW) bug in Germany. Drove it for an entire year with no issues, until I totalled it on a snowy road...
I love that VW commercial. I Am, I Said is one of my favorite ND Songs. Perfect mashup.

The new commercial for Manscaped Lawn Mower is so much better than the early ones, with Brent Musburger talking about shaving your junk.

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
Complain all you want about Super Bowl commercials...at least they only aired once during the game.
I'm totally sick of the iPhone 15 "Don't Let me Go" ad, and the BW3, "Box Out" spot. It seems like they only have about 6 commercials for the NCAA tournament. And it's 4 times worse in multiview on youtubetv.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Complain all you want about Super Bowl commercials...at least they only aired once during the game.
I'm totally sick of the iPhone 15 "Don't Let me Go" ad, and the BW3, "Box Out" spot. It seems like they only have about 6 commercials for the NCAA tournament. And it's 4 times worse in multiview on youtubetv.
The worst part of the box out commercial is that fat smug prick in the state jersey that says "fundamentals?". The buffalo should savagely gore him without so much as a second of hesitation.

The worst part of the box out commercial is that fat smug prick in the state jersey that says "fundamentals?". The buffalo should savagely gore him without so much as a second of hesitation.

Digression....

Cam Cameron used to tell the story about Knight showing up for practice and trying to teach the DBs how to "box out" wide receivers.

Digression....

Cam Cameron used to tell the story about Knight showing up for practice and trying to teach the DBs how to "box out" wide receivers.
I think we should have kept Cam. Let him grow into the job. Keep recruiting ARE type players.

Y'all don't get Pinnacle Home Improvements commercials do you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT