ADVERTISEMENT

Breyer

I know college does not automatically make a person smart, but these judges graduated from Yale, Princeton, and Harvard along the way. Were you accepted to any Ivy League schools?

Or do you just call people dumb for having a different position than you? By chance did you attend Trump U?
Just another example of DBM showing he's not a serious poster.

Besides the likelihood that all nine of the Supremes are far smarter than any of us here, questioning Kagan's intelligence is especially stupid. I've heard some people complain that Sotomayor isn't quite at the level of her colleagues (some have said the same about Thomas, and probably others in the past, as well), no one with any ounce of sense has ever questioned Kagan's intelligence.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Trump has changed the GOP in a few ways, and they’re mostly bad (in my opinion):
  • He has, for way too many people, become the kingmaker for candidates - if u get his endorsement it’s an advantage on the ground. With a man with that size of an ego, that’s not good.
  • His base is far too focused on populism and ignoring foreign affairs. They don’t understand that our dollars spent overseas are investments in our safety and security. Yes there is plenty of work to do domestically but we need to keep several eyes looking out across the oceans.
  • I refuse to believe that our institutions such as FBI, CIA, DNI etc are as corrupt as he claims. Our media is very corrupt I very much agree. But the isolated acts of some bad guys in those agencies does not a failed agency make. But his base thinks them as criminal organizations. That’s unacceptable.
Hm. First of all, the FBI has been corrupt from almost the beginning. JEH was bad enough, but I think Comey wasn’t far behind. It got so bad, he admitted to ethical, legal, and professional violations and everybody yawned. But that issue is beside the point.

I agree the GOP trends toward populism. I think that is overdue. The country was looking for a non-elitist champion of issues important to people. I don’t think any if that is contrary to GOP principles, Trump was first to recognize and exploit that trend. His singular focus on jobs is more than populist, it was a means prioritize GOP issues over left-wing pie-in-the-sky. I see Trump as mostly following the GOP not taking it anywhere.

Trump has changed the GOP in a few ways, and they’re mostly bad (in my opinion):
  • He has, for way too many people, become the kingmaker for candidates - if u get his endorsement it’s an advantage on the ground. With a man with that size of an ego, that’s not good.
  • His base is far too focused on populism and ignoring foreign affairs. They don’t understand that our dollars spent overseas are investments in our safety and security. Yes there is plenty of work to do domestically but we need to keep several eyes looking out across the oceans.
  • I refuse to believe that our institutions such as FBI, CIA, DNI etc are as corrupt as he claims. Our media is very corrupt I very much agree. But the isolated acts of some bad guys in those agencies does not a failed agency make. But his base thinks them as criminal organizations. That’s unacceptable.

I'm going to disagree on your second point. I believe folks do understand the value and necessity of foreign "investment." They understandingly don't see any positive return. See just a few spots in the Middle East, for example.

Reactions: stollcpa
Biden’s quote includes something about Black females deserve representation on the court. The problem is that the court is not a representative body. The scary thing would be that such a jurist might actually believe she represents a constituency. .
…. And should champion the constituency regardless of the law.

I'm going to disagree on your second point. I believe folks do understand the value and necessity of foreign "investment." They understandingly don't see any positive return. See just a few spots in the Middle East, for example.
Maybe. But shaming our allies over not meeting their end of military spending isn’t ideal.

With Breyer retiring, and Biden able to name a candidate, the courts position is not going to change. I hope the Republicans give a tough, but fair, examination of whomever Biden selects. The Dems have made an absolute shitshow out of this process. Since Clarence Thomas was selected, when a Republican president has a nomination, the total vote has averaged 57 votes. If you take Roberts out, it drops even lower. When a Dem president nominates, the average vote to confirm has been 78. It has been very clear that while Republicans will give a qualified candidate a fair chance, the Dems have not.

If I was McConnell, I would play nice if the candidate is anywhere near qualified, and show the American people that not all Senators are assholes. I very much doubt that will happen, but that is what I hope for.

Besides the likelihood that all nine of the Supremes are far smarter than any of us here,
I don’t think that’s a given. Some opinions are excellent even when there might be disagreement, some opinions are awful. Some questions during argument are just off the wall. The justices certainly all have a pedigree, but that doesn’t mean they are smarter than others.

Take Roberts. I thought he was brilliant during his confirmation hearings. I thought he wrote the worst opinion in years on the Westboro Church case. There are many other examples with many different jurists.

Of course not. But say what you want about the Bush/Trump appointees, I don't like a couple of them, but they're all highly intelligent.

Biden said he would nominate a black female years ago

black and female are the Biden litmus tests, not qualifications
So when Trump restricted his appointments to people who met with Federalist Society approval, that was NOT a litmus test? So being approved by the kingmakers at the Federalist Society is somehow a qualification?

So what exactly made Barrett qualified, more than Biden's two leading candidates?

"Two potential nominees therefore stand apart from all others: Leondra Kruger, a justice on the California Supreme Court, and Ketanji Brown Jackson, a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit."

Wasn't Barrett an Appeals Court Justice (for the 7th Circuit)? Why exactly would she be more qualified than either Kruger or Jackson?

So when Trump restricted his appointments to people who met with Federalist Society approval, that was NOT a litmus test? So being approved by the kingmakers at the Federalist Society is somehow a qualification?

So what exactly made Barrett qualified, more than Biden's two leading candidates?

"Two potential nominees therefore stand apart from all others: Leondra Kruger, a justice on the California Supreme Court, and Ketanji Brown Jackson, a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit."

Wasn't Barrett an Appeals Court Justice (for the 7th Circuit)? Why exactly would she be more qualified than either Kruger or Jackson?
Can someone explain this text to me

"ALERT: There's an opening on the Supreme Court. If the Dems stack the court, our Majority is over. YOU CAN STOP THEM -> gopwin.us/8bu"

Of course it's a major grift, I get those 3x a day... But the sense of entitlement "Our majority" is pretty appalling.
And how in the world does a Dem POTUS appointing a replacement for a left-leaning justice amount to "stacking" the Court? I got a 2nd text warning me the Dems might nominate an "extreme liberal"- as opposed to presumably acceptable "extreme conservatives" like Thomas and Alito?

This is the same sort of smug entitlement that contributes to supporters of one of the most unpopular Presidents in US history still claiming they could only lose if the other sided cheated 15 mos after the election in which their candidate got his ass handed to him...

GOP Legislatures are supposedly interested in preserving "election integrity" DWS.. Yet we now know that in multiple states the losers faked credentials and submitted forged documentation claiming to be the legitimately elected electors. Just another example of unprecedented felonious conduct from an Administration that preached "law and order" while setting a record for crimes and ethics violations for a single 4 yr term of office...

No wonder Trump fought so hard to keep the records of his criminal acts hidden.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
You're barking up the wrong tree. I haven't argued here - - or anywhere - - that Democrats are blameless. I simply stated a fact.

And what McConnell did in blocking Obama's pick in 2016 was reprehensible.
Yeah well the spectacle the dems put on with Kavanaugh was reprehensible. There really showed their true colors on that one . And now biden proving he is the bigot most of us know he is. To Biden skin color is everything and you better be the right color or you are not getting looked at.

Yeah well the spectacle the dems put on with Kavanaugh was reprehensible. There really showed their true colors on that one . And now biden proving he is the bigot most of us know he is. To Biden skin color is everything and you better be the right color or you are not getting looked at.
Poor white males getting screwed over yet again. Just like NFL head coaching searches. Those poor white retreads always getting screwed over while all the jobs go to unqualified blacks.

When will it be the white man's turn to get a fair shake?

And I'm called out for Bailey pulling out the race card? Calling Biden a bigot?

Pathetic.

Poor white males getting screwed over yet again. Just like NFL head coaching searches. Those poor white retreads always getting screwed over while all the jobs go to unqualified blacks.

Pat McCrory compared his not getting a job at Duke University to 1960s segregation

"Former North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory said last year that not receiving an offer to teach at Duke University upon leaving the governorship was "blacklisting" and comparable to the refusal to serve Black Americans at lunch counters in the 1960s during segregation."

Pat McCrory compared his not getting a job at Duke University to 1960s segregation

"Former North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory said last year that not receiving an offer to teach at Duke University upon leaving the governorship was "blacklisting" and comparable to the refusal to serve Black Americans at lunch counters in the 1960s during segregation."
Didn’t Duke reject Nixon’s papers and Presidential library?

They like basketball though.

Hope they cloned Coach Kantspellit. They’re staring into a sports abyss to go with their rejection of historically-significant educational opportunities.

Hope they cloned Coach Kantspellit. They’re staring into a sports abyss to go with their rejection of historically-significant educational opportunities.
Good. Most miserable student body I've ever encountered. Hate that place

Reactions: 76-1 and bailey777

It was also a bunch of the Duke professors who went 100% destroy the Duke lacrosse team before they had even gone to court or had any chance to defend themselves. They were on a witch hunt to take them down regardless of the facts. And when it turned out they were all wrong was there any apologies? Of course there were not.

You sound like a stone cold racist or just maybe an idiot. Could be a combo of both but racist for sure.

You sound like a stone cold racist or just maybe an idiot. Could be a combo of both but racist for sure.
You never disappoint. Man you are dense. My boss is a black female who recently got her MBA from Michigan. She'll get a kick out if it when I tell her I'm racist.

Good. Most miserable student body I've ever encountered. Hate that place

It was also a bunch of the Duke professors who went 100% destroy the Duke lacrosse team before they had even gone to court or had any chance to defend themselves. They were on a witch hunt to take them down regardless of the facts. And when it turned out they were all wrong was there any apologies? Of course there were not.
Okay...I wouldn't care if an earthquake picked up UNC and dropped it on Duke.

But, that doesn't take away from the fact that Mcrory is dumb as shit for comparing his situation to 1960's segregation. Next thing you know, he'll be saying he feels as persecuted as the Jewish people in Germany during Hitler's day.

Okay...I wouldn't care if an earthquake picked up UNC and dropped it on Duke.

But, that doesn't take away from the fact that Mcrory is dumb as shit for comparing his situation to 1960's segregation. Next thing you know, he'll be saying he feels as persecuted as the Jewish people in Germany during Hitler's day.
For sure

His point is there is plenty of black women who are equally qualified for the position. So he is making a point to give a black woman the opportunity. Something that hasn't happened in our history. Not sure why this would be a problem.

Not only that, but how dare one of our politicians keep a campaign promise.

How dare he keep his word.

You never disappoint. Man you are dense. My boss is a black female who recently got her MBA from Michigan. She'll get a kick out if it when I tell her I'm racist.
You're letting him off easy... You should have pointed out the irony of Him calling anyone a racist... Incidentally, he meant you were a reverse racist, a racist against whites...

Lots of hard truths in this discussion of white fragility...

You're letting him off easy... You should have pointed out the irony of Him calling anyone a racist... Incidentally, he meant you were a reverse racist, a racist against whites...

Lots of hard truths in this discussion of white fragility...

Yep, I knew what he meant but didn't have the energy to fully engage him on his reverse racism claim. Hard to believe it is 2022.

Some of these conversations feel like we should be in 1950s rural Mississippi.

Forget about those white privileged kids. They count for nothing.

His point is there is plenty of black women who are equally qualified for the position. So he is making a point to give a black woman the opportunity. Something that hasn't happened in our history. Not sure why this would be a problem.
"Within the guidelines of excellence, appointments can carry enormous symbolic significance. This permits us to guide by example -- to show how deep our commitment is and to give meaning to what we profess. One way I intend to live up to that commitment is to appoint a woman to the Supreme Court."

-Ronald Reagan, 1980, who fulfilled this particular campaign promise.

With Breyer retiring, and Biden able to name a candidate, the courts position is not going to change. I hope the Republicans give a tough, but fair, examination of whomever Biden selects. The Dems have made an absolute shitshow out of this process. Since Clarence Thomas was selected, when a Republican president has a nomination, the total vote has averaged 57 votes. If you take Roberts out, it drops even lower. When a Dem president nominates, the average vote to confirm has been 78. It has been very clear that while Republicans will give a qualified candidate a fair chance, the Dems have not.

If I was McConnell, I would play nice if the candidate is anywhere near qualified, and show the American people that not all Senators are assholes. I very much doubt that will happen, but that is what I hope for.

The person making a shitshow out of the process was McConnell stealing a spot on the supreme court back when an opening came up under Obama.

Obama nominated a moderate liberal for the spot. Someone that hardly rocked the boat. Trump and GOP stacked the court with far right nuts.

Your opinion on dems making a shitshow out of the process is a load of crud.

The shitshow out of the process was McConnell stealing a spot on the surpreme court back when an opening came up under Obama.

Obama nominated a moderate liberal for the spot. Someone that hardly rocked the boat. Trump and GOP stacked the court with far right nuts.

Your opinion on dems making a shitshow out of the process is a load of crud.
Hickory Nuts

Reactions: stollcpa
"Within the guidelines of excellence, appointments can carry enormous symbolic significance. This permits us to guide by example -- to show how deep our commitment is and to give meaning to what we profess. One way I intend to live up to that commitment is to appoint a woman to the Supreme Court."

-Ronald Reagan, 1980, who fulfilled this particular campaign promise.
I don’t know why we’re even arguing. Biden won and can appointment a black women. Republicans should question her in the confirmation process professionally unlike the democrats have done with no witch hunt. The republicans should vote for her unless something comes up in the confirmation hearings. And nothing will come up in normal questioning because nominees don’t answer questions.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I don’t know why we’re even arguing. Biden won and can appointment a black women. Republicans should question her in the confirmation process professionally unlike the democrats have done with no witch hunt. The republicans should vote for her unless something comes up in the confirmation hearings. And nothing will come up in normal questioning because nominees don’t answer questions.
I don't know, either. Ask the OP and the other posters in this thread who have raised their disagreement with Biden over his campaign promise.

Reactions: mrhighlife
So give it to a well-deserved black lady. Don’t announce you’re giving it to a black lady ahead of time. It’s racial pandering and it stinks.

So give it to a well-deserved black lady. Don’t announce you’re giving it to a black lady ahead of time. It’s racial pandering and it stinks.

I 100% agree that I wish he didn't say it, but he did. But what is wrong with him wanting to get some different representation on the court and a sitting president keeping his word on a campaign promise for once? He said he was going to do it, so now he gets to do it. It's a perk or winning. He won, so now he gets to keep his word. Hard to believe in this day and age, a politician keeping his word, but in this rare instance, it just may happen.

I 100% agree that I wish he didn't say it, but he did. But what is wrong with him wanting to get some different representation on the court and a sitting president keeping his word on a campaign promise for once? He said he was going to do it, so now he gets to do it. It's a perk or winning. He won, so now he gets to keep his word. Hard to believe in this day and age, a politician keeping his word, but in this rare instance, it just may happen.
And it's got bailey all flustered to boot.

Reactions: cosmickid

It depends. Will he choose a moron like Harris? That was a race/gender pick and she couldn't be a worse candidate.

If he picks someone good - great, but again that person will invariably be stigmatized as the aff action justice. If it wasn't racial pandering he would have just done it.

Reactions: 76-1
It depends. Will he choose a moron like Harris? That was a race/gender pick and she couldn't be a worse candidate.

If he picks someone good - great, but again that person will invariably be stigmatized as the aff action justice. If it wasn't racial pandering he would have just done it.

We need to see who he picks before getting all up and arms over this. We've got one guy on the boards calling Biden a bigot over this, before he's even made the nomination.

Nothing like rush to judgement.

Again, how is this any different than Trump releasing the list of Federalist Society approved candidates, and campaigning on that issue as a way to reassure/assuage some conservatives who were appalled by him personally? I had never heard this speech before and it just showed up on a google search. Seems like it epitomizes "pandering" (not to mention slander/lies)- racial and otherwise...

We need to see who he picks before getting all up and arms over this. We've got one guy on the boards calling Biden a bigot over this, before he's even made the nomination.

Nothing like rush to judgement.
Biden saying that he would only consider a black female was bad. His saying that such a pick is over due and that group needed “representation” on SCOTUS and made it worse. Biden has no clue about what a justice does. Let’s hope his pick is better than he is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT