ADVERTISEMENT

Kenya Violent Protests Over Taxes/Environmental Concerns

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Kenya's Parliment is on fire and government officials have been kidnapped after the passage of a bill that raises taxes on certain everyday products in the name of saving the environment.

To be clear, this tax hike had nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with the fact that Kenya is drowning in debt.
Disagree. There are tax hikes specifically cited as an "Eco Levy" to address pollution.

To foster eco-friendly practices and promote its green agenda, the Kenyan government has proposed a stringent Eco Levy, which unlike previous macro/corporate interventions, aims to curb micro-pollution and waste management at the office and household level.

Besides targeting the usage and disposal of everyday office and household items, the tax also seeks to address e-waste pollution. It, for instance, recommends that those who intend to import plastics into the Kenyan market pay an extra fee of Ksh150 per kilo.

The proposed law would apply to diapers, batteries/dry cells, smartphones, earphones, clocks, radios, TV sets, and cameras. The proposed tax would also affect the prices of staplers, printers, calculators, photocopying machines, keyboards, mice, projectors and LCD monitors.

“The Bill proposes to introduce an Eco Levy on plastic packaging materials at Ksh150/kilo, diapers at Ksh98/unit, office machines at Ksh98/unit, calculating machines at Ksh225/unit and automatic data processing machines at Ksh225/unit. Others include arts & accessories at Ksh98/unit, telephones (including smart phones) at Ksh225/unit, microphones & speakers at Ksh98/unit, monitors & projectors at Ksh1,275/unit,” reads the levy in part.

The stringent Eco Levy aims to enhance existing weaker and less effective waste and pollution control mechanisms, such as the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) regulations that Kenya embraced two years ago. The EPR is a comprehensive global framework designed to hold manufacturers accountable for the entire lifecycle of their plastic and electronic products.
Source

Disagree. There are tax hikes specifically cited as an "Eco Levy" to address pollution.

To foster eco-friendly practices and promote its green agenda, the Kenyan government has proposed a stringent Eco Levy, which unlike previous macro/corporate interventions, aims to curb micro-pollution and waste management at the office and household level.

Besides targeting the usage and disposal of everyday office and household items, the tax also seeks to address e-waste pollution. It, for instance, recommends that those who intend to import plastics into the Kenyan market pay an extra fee of Ksh150 per kilo.

The proposed law would apply to diapers, batteries/dry cells, smartphones, earphones, clocks, radios, TV sets, and cameras. The proposed tax would also affect the prices of staplers, printers, calculators, photocopying machines, keyboards, mice, projectors and LCD monitors.

“The Bill proposes to introduce an Eco Levy on plastic packaging materials at Ksh150/kilo, diapers at Ksh98/unit, office machines at Ksh98/unit, calculating machines at Ksh225/unit and automatic data processing machines at Ksh225/unit. Others include arts & accessories at Ksh98/unit, telephones (including smart phones) at Ksh225/unit, microphones & speakers at Ksh98/unit, monitors & projectors at Ksh1,275/unit,” reads the levy in part.

The stringent Eco Levy aims to enhance existing weaker and less effective waste and pollution control mechanisms, such as the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) regulations that Kenya embraced two years ago. The EPR is a comprehensive global framework designed to hold manufacturers accountable for the entire lifecycle of their plastic and electronic products.
Source
I don't know where you got that first link, and maybe they tried to market it as some green thing, but this has been all over the news for weeks, and it was very clear that they need money, and they need it now. They have loans coming due and they are strapped for cash. They were just desperately trying to come to with some way to raise money.

I don't know where you got that first link, and maybe they tried to market it as some green thing, but this has been all over the news for weeks, and it was very clear that they need money, and they need it now. They have loans coming due and they are strapped for cash. They were just desperately trying to come to with some way to raise money.
Agreed, but part of this is directly tied to the idea that two years ago they went all in on being sustainable and eco-friendly while they should have been focused on the shit economy and gross mismanagement. Now, with these tariffs, you're effectively taxing outside goods that contain plastic, like diapers. I'm not saying it's the sole reason for the tax hikes, but you also can't claim it has nothing to do with a "green thing" either. The various UN related agencies aren't helping by also pushing the idea that they have to be green, of all things.

Where I got the link isn't really important is it? The website is run by the Center for Science & Environment, and the Editor is Sunita Narain, a leading environmental activist in India. My guys from India that I'm close with kind of have a love/hate relationship with her depending on the topic.

Agreed, but part of this is directly tied to the idea that two years ago they went all in on being sustainable and eco-friendly while they should have been focused on the shit economy and gross mismanagement. Now, with these tariffs, you're effectively taxing outside goods that contain plastic, like diapers. I'm not saying it's the sole reason for the tax hikes, but you also can't claim it has nothing to do with a "green thing" either. The various UN related agencies aren't helping by also pushing the idea that they have to be green, of all things.

Where I got the link isn't really important is it? The website is run by the Center for Science & Environment, and the Editor is Sunita Narain, a leading environmental activist in India. My guys from India that I'm close with kind of have a love/hate relationship with her depending on the topic.
I guess my point is, they were going to raise taxes no matter what. Whatever their dedication to sustainability (I'm skeptical), that wasn't the reason they raised taxes now. The reason they raised taxes now is because they need money desperately.

I guess my point is, they were going to raise taxes no matter what. Whatever their dedication to sustainability (I'm skeptical), that wasn't the reason they raised taxes now. The reason they raised taxes now is because they need money desperately.
We both agree on needing the money.

My point is the waste of focus and effort on first-world things when you run a third-world country. That policy is incredibly regressive. Both the UN and Kenyan officials are responsible for that.

Reactions: UncleMark
We both agree on needing the money.

My point is the waste of focus and effort on first-world things when you run a third-world country. That policy is incredibly regressive. Both the UN and Kenyan officials are responsible for that.
I hear what you're saying, I guess I just don't see it as the issue at the moment. I think people are using this as an excuse to bring that up. One of the Twitter Twits you linked had it right (!) when he said something about the IMF. This isn't about green. This is about red. Debt.

I hear what you're saying, I guess I just don't see it as the issue at the moment. I think people are using this as an excuse to bring that up. One of the Twitter Twits you linked had it right (!) when he said something about the IMF. This isn't about green. This is about red. Debt.
Steve Hanke is the real deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT