ADVERTISEMENT

NYT: Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn investigation

I love the part where Trump orders everyone out of the room except for Comey. That's the time you want to start recording the rest of the meeting on your phone...just sayin". ;)

So CO...how do you feel about the POTUS ordering everyone to leave so he can ask the FBI Director to stop investigating his former National Security Director?

I'm thinking the case for obstruction is now made.

Of course, I'm not talking about criminal indictment, so don't get all wound up, COH. I'm talking about grounds for impeachment.

Good lord trump is a dumbass.

If the Congressional Republicans have any loyalty to the country he won't survive this. Actually if they have any loyalty to their party he won't survive either. He's going to destroy the party if not the country.

Thinking the sh-- just got real here.

It's been real for a while. What we have now is the prospect of evidence to support one of the articles of impeachment . . . which has been missing previously (as COH loves to point out) because the GOP congress hasn't figured out whether it's in their political best interests to investigate the Russia/Trump connections (it is).

So CO...how do you feel about the POTUS ordering everyone to leave so he can ask the FBI Director to stop investigating his former National Security Director?

Well, at least he didn't meet with Comey on the tarmac at some airport.

This is part of the buffoonery I expected from Trump. Sounds like Comey handled it correctly. The article doesn't say how the conversaion concluded.

Well, at least he didn't meet with Comey on the tarmac at some airport.

This is part of the buffoonery I expected from Trump. Sounds like Comey handled it correctly. The article doesn't say how the conversaion concluded.
A nothingburger then?

Reactions: Bill4411
It's been real for a while. What we have now is the prospect of evidence to support one of the articles of impeachment . . . which has been missing previously (as COH loves to point out) because the GOP congress hasn't figured out whether it's in their political best interests to investigate the Russia/Trump connections (it is).

Whoa. I agree that POTUS interference with an ongoing criminal investigation is highly improper, but lets not pretend like this is something new and different. Moreover, the actual words are much more ambiguious than the headling of Trump asking to "shut down" the investigation.

Would you vote for impeachment assuming everything in the NYT piece is accurate and complete?

I'd like to see the evidence presented at the Senate's impeachment trial - all of the evidence after completion of all investigations in support of all articles of impeachment. At this point, I think there's plenty to foresee a strong case can ultimately be made for impeachment, once all of the investigations are complete.

I'd like to see the evidence presented at the Senate's impeachment trial - all of the evidence after completion of all investigations in support of all articles of impeachment. At this point, I think there's plenty to foresee a strong case can ultimately be made for impeachment, once all of the investigations are complete.
The vote for impeachment would be in the House. We'd know plenty before it came time for the Senate to vote - if it ever got that far.

Anyone that knows me knows I'd never wear a hat like that.
Of course you wouldn't, neither would I. It was a colorful way of asking where you stand now on Trump? If the memo is confirmed is that enough to merit congress starting the process of impeachment?

It's a new story and it has to develop. Don't do your victory dance yet. We'll have plenty of time to figure this out.

Time? I don't want Trump making a signal "important" decision until this is resolved. Comey should be called in to testify tomorrow.

It's a new story and it has to develop. Don't do your victory dance yet. We'll have plenty of time to figure this out.

Trump deserves due process like anyone else, but I hope we see Congress actually doing its oversight job here (in a non-partisan fashion) and get assured that a new Trump FBI director isn't going to be a Trump political appointee who will shut down legit investigations.

What else besides trying to influence a criminal investigation.

FWIW, I think this happens a lot, and I think it happened with Obama and Holder with some of the cop civil rights investigations. They also pretty much admitted this when they said Obama and Holder agreed that "prosecutorial discretion" was a way for Obama to implement some of his immigration agenda.

I can't understand why anyone would ever wear those stupid MAGA trucker hats in general. Those can't possibly have cost more than a dollar to make.
Less than that since they were made in China.

Reactions: RBB89
Time? I don't want Trump making a signal "important" decision until this is resolved. Comey should be called in to testify tomorrow.
Doesn't matter what you want. That's not how it works. He's President with Presidential authority until the day he leaves office or is removed from office. That will take time.

Nothing is going to happen unless the GOP makes it happen. For what it is worth, Hugo Chavez was imprisoned in 1992 for trying to start a coup...he got out and was then elected President...we are very far from out of the woods here.

FWIW, I think this happens a lot, and I think it happened with Obama and Holder with some of the cop civil rights investigations. They also pretty much admitted this when they said Obama and Holder agreed that "prosecutorial discretion" was a way for Obama to implement some of his immigration agenda.

I don't see either of those remotely close to what Trump has done here. Neither of those is in a criminal context, and neither is in a context where the subject is a former member of the president's cabinet.

Reactions: MrBing
Nothing is going to happen unless the GOP makes it happen. For what it is worth, Hugo Chavez was imprisoned in 1992 for trying to start a coup...he got out and was then elected President...we are very far from out of the woods here.
Come on! This isn't Venezuela and Trump, bad as he may be, is no Chavez.

Reactions: MrBing and RBB89
I don't see either of those remotely close to what Trump has done here. Neither of those is in a criminal context, and neither is in a context where the subject is a former member of the president's cabinet.
COH is thrashing and flailing about. It's sad to watch.

What else besides trying to influence a criminal investigation.

And that makes what Trump has done as okay then?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT