ADVERTISEMENT

Why do I feel like Biden is going to lose?

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Heard on NPR today (short version): On the issue of who is a threat to democracy, Biden wins big, because Democrats and most independents agree with him. He also wins big because among people who are single-issue voters re: protecting democracy, he dominates Trump. It should be easy to see why he wants to keep playing that same song. It's a crowd favorite.

It just feels to me like most voters want more. Maybe we're fickle. Maybe we have a short attention span. But we already did Trump. The nation survived him once. Biden saved us from him once. Maybe the threat just doesn't seem that big anymore. Biden has a record now to run on. I just don't see this as a winning campaign:

Heard on NPR today (short version): On the issue of who is a threat to democracy, Biden wins big, because Democrats and most independents agree with him. He also wins big because among people who are single-issue voters re: protecting democracy, he dominates Trump. It should be easy to see why he wants to keep playing that same song. It's a crowd favorite.

It just feels to me like most voters want more. Maybe we're fickle. Maybe we have a short attention span. But we already did Trump. The nation survived him once. Biden saved us from him once. Maybe the threat just doesn't seem that big anymore. Biden has a record now to run on. I just don't see this as a winning campaign:

Because homes are nearly twice as much as when he took office and string cheese is over $6. People don’t get into the minutiae. The threat to democracy appeals to academics not plumbers. Biden is a terrible, terrible president who is too old and needs to go. The incomprehensible thing is that trump is the other option. Hopefully something derails trump and Haley (who I don’t like) is our next president. And perhaps she will be the sane vanilla bridge that we had hoped Biden would be to someone good (pub or Dem).

4 years of not much cookin would be welcomed

From my seat the economy is ok-ish but I’m not trying to buy a house or run a small business. Gas prices are falling. Unemployment (probably a meaningless statistic anymore) isn’t rising. Inflation is turning a corner. Some would say Biden solved a problem if his own making by raising interest rates. But it’s been the right move.

But discussions of the economy involve nuance and understanding. The American electorate has the attention of a gnat. So good luck with that. He has a significant problem at the Southern Border and he appears not willing to address it. There’s a flank he needs to protect. Probably doesn’t have time for much action or results ahead of Election Day but he can at least talk about it. Dems are even starting to notice there might be a problem. The War on Woke will rage on and is a push for either side. Foreign policy has been mostly good since the Afghanistan debacle.

He doesn’t have the worst record when you consider who he’s running against. I don’t wanna vote for him. I’d rather vote for Shapiro. Even Whitmer. Beshear. Maybe Haley.

God this election sucks so ****ing hard. Sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom. Biden v Trump 2.0 is rock bottom. Doesn’t even really matter who wins.

The problem isn’t who’s running. The problem is us. The people casting votes. Look around at the store, gas station, work. Half these people vote. You’d like to think it’s the good half. Probably not. Remember that enough people voting at this point (and mos def in primaries) basically regard elections as an extension of the NFL. Tribalism, etc.

I don’t see how it gets better anytime soon. Maybe we really gotta smack the ground hard. Good chance that, at least as it relates to our politics, the ground is gonna arrive on November 5, regardless of who wins.

Last edited:
From my seat the economy is ok-ish but I’m not trying to buy a house or run a small business. Gas prices are falling. Unemployment (probably a meaningless statistic anymore) isn’t rising. Inflation is turning a corner. Some would say Biden solved a problem if his own making by raising interest rates. But it’s been the right move.

But discussions of the economy involve nuance and understanding. The American electorate has the attention of a gnat. So good luck with that.

It will all boil down to the 2024 economic outlook. And not even the numbers or the stock market or the inflation rate. Many will complain about McMansions or crab legs being too expensive; others may look at it like you have above and how I look at it from my white trash trailer. It will be all about ones personal feelz come this fall. Here's to hoping that most feel like things are okay.

Reactions: larsIU
The incomprehensible thing is that trump is the other option. Hopefully something derails trump and Haley (who I don’t like) is our next president. And perhaps she will be the sane vanilla bridge that we had hoped Biden would be to someone good (pub or Dem).

You might as well hope for the Giant Meteor in 2024.

It's gonna be Trump vs. Biden unless one of them croaks. Your choice will be based on what you think is important. For some of us, it's not the price of gas or Starbucks.

But discussions of the economy involve nuance and understanding. The American electorate has the attention of a gnat. So good luck with that. He has a significant problem at the Southern Border and he appears not willing to address it. There’s a flank he needs to protect. Probably doesn’t have time for much action or results ahead of Election Day but he can at least talk about it. Dems are even starting to notice there might be a problem. The War on Woke will rage on and is a push for either side. Foreign policy has been mostly good since the Afghanistan debacle.

He doesn’t have the worst record when you consider who he’s running against. I don’t wanna vote for him. I’d rather vote for Shapiro. Even Whitmer. Beshear. Maybe Haley.

God this election sucks so ****ing hard. Sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom. Biden v Trump 2.0 is rock bottom. Doesn’t even really matter who wins.

The problem isn’t who’s running. The problem is us. The people casting votes. Look around at the store, gas station, work. Half these people vote. You’d like to think it’s the good half. Probably not. Remember that enough people voting at this point (and mos def in primaries) basically regard elections as an extension of the NFL. Tribalism, etc.

I don’t see how it gets better anytime soon. Maybe we really gotta smack the ground hard. Good chance that, at least as it relates to our politics, they ground is gonna arrive on November 5, regardless of who wins.
Biden has no control over the fed who handles rates. They’re autonomous. I believe any improvement is in spite of Biden not because of Biden. Biden wanted to be transformative and we saw his predilections. And I see no one worth a shit in the Jan window heading to United. Bitch

Reactions: sku and jet812
Biden has no control over the fed who handles rates. They’re autonomous. I believe any improvement is in spite of Biden not because of Biden. Biden wanted to be transformative and we saw his predilections. And I see no one worth a shit in the Jan window heading to United. Bitch
So once again, we owe a thanks to Jimmy Carter.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Yeah I get that. But he didn’t bitch about it either. He needs to pivot to the border and the economy and tell the progressives to pound sand.

And United is like IU, linked with everybody and signing no one of significance. I’m just trying to figure out which failed Dutch or Eriedivisie attacker or CB/CMthey pick up.

As long as inflation stays below 4% I think you guys win comfortably. Run on abortion and the world is ending if Trump is President.

Yeah I get that. But he didn’t bitch about it either. He needs to pivot to the border and the economy and tell the progressives to pound sand.

And United is like IU, linked with everybody and signing no one of significance. I’m just trying to figure out which failed Dutch or Eriedivisie attacker or CB/CMthey pick up.
I hear ya. If xavi gets canned I’ll be heartbroken. Greatest mf ever to play. Same boat as United. Rudderless

I think there’s a huge problem with how the country feels vs what is actually going on (I had this discussion with several others).

Biden isn’t necessarily weak on crime, but Democrats are comparatively, and even though crime seems to have been down in 23 vs prior rises, it’s a real safety issue for voters.

The economy isn’t actually doing all that bad, relative to what could have been. But, inflation was whacked out for quite a while and really has hit non-discretionary items the hardest (fvckin blueberries man). I think it’s again as much of a feel vs reality phenomenon but I can’t speak for others.

Lastly, I think people underestimate the reason he won - to get Trump out vs being a really good candidate. Joe was never that good of a candidate. He isn’t that relatable, he was already old af (and white) as a lifetime Washingtonian (doesn’t go as well as it used to, even if you despise trump).

Now he’s older, has made many more public gaffes, isn’t the type to rally the masses, etc.

Garnacho saved Man U’s season. He’s their only spark. Rashford might be the most overrated guy in years. He’s trash.m these days

I think there’s a huge problem with how the country feels vs what is actually going on (I had this discussion with several others).

The economy isn’t actually doing all that bad, relative to what could have been. But, inflation was whacked out for quite a while and really has hit non-discretionary items the hardest (fvckin blueberries man). I think it’s again as much of a feel vs reality phenomenon but I can’t speak for others.

Exactly. Thank you. I get that people are swayed by their day to day financial concerns and generally don't think of "higher order" things like the state of our political norms. If they did, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Maybe enlightened despotism has something going for it.

Exactly. Thank you. I get that people are swayed by their day to day financial concerns and generally don't think of "higher order" things like the state of our political norms. If they did, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Democracy and other such stilted concerns are a luxury when you have tuition, mortgages, braces, health insurance etc. match the price of cars 2020 to today. Homes. Insurance. Groceries. Meds. The data is there. Not stories. Your insulated life leaves you immune to the challenges so many face. (Maybe to your credit). What’s more this is a big ten board. Not quite average. In my nonprofit endeavors people are struggling desperately. Fixed income folks choosing between meds and food. It’s off -putting to hear any support for Biden and ignores what he wanted and what he was prevented from doing. And that is even preferable to the stupidy of Jan 6 obsessions.

Biden made peoples’ lives financially more difficult. That is fact

Oh and Covid setbacks were also gov overreach to the detriment of the economy. That as a crutch or excuse is absurd too. That was more gov f ups

Last edited:
Democracy and other such stilted concerns are a luxury when you have tuition, mortgages, braces, health insurance etc. match the price of cars 2020 to today. Homes. Insurance. Groceries. Meds. The data is there. Not stories. Your insulated life leaves you immune to the challenges so many face. (Maybe to your credit).

If by insulated you mean living within my means and delaying gratification, I plead guilty. People would do well to be so insulated.

If by insulated you mean living within my means and delaying gratification, I plead guilty. People would do well to be so insulated.
Concur. But that doesn’t bear on unnecessary cost increases attributable to poor governance. Separate issues. There is no justification for Biden. The man is terrible

Last edited:
Don’t worry, Joe issued an unprecedented amount of executive orders in his first 100 days & here we are, so we’ve already survived a “strongman regime”.
Biden? A strongman? Don't make me laugh. You clearly don't know what the term means.

Biden? A strongman? Don't make me laugh.
Do better with reading. I didn’t say our feckless POTUS is a strongman, I said strongman regime. So if circumventing legislation & issuing Executive orders, some of which were overturned due to illegality, isn’t a strongman regime, what is, mean tweets?

Do better with reading. I didn’t say our feckless POTUS is a strongman, I said strongman regime. So if circumventing legislation & issuing Executive orders, some of which were overturned due to illegality, isn’t a strongman regime, what is, mean tweets?
Do better with thinking. A strongman regime requires . . . wait for it . . . a strongman, at the top.

"Strongman: a leader who rules by the exercise of threats, force or violence." Sounds much more like Don the Con to me.

Reactions: Bill4411
I get that people are swayed by their day to day financial concerns and generally don't think of "higher order" things like the state of our political norms. If they did, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
The state of our political norms hit rock bottom at the end of the Trump administration.

And now the Biden administration has opened up a deep sea oil rig.

Do better with thinking. A strongman regime requires . . . wait for it . . . a strongman, at the top.

"Strongman: a leader who rules by the exercise of threats, force or violence." Sounds much more like Don the Con to me.
Thus the addition of the word “regime”.😉

The state of our political norms hit rock bottom at the end of the Trump administration.

And now the Biden administration has opened up a deep sea oil rig.
Biden’s approval rating at this point is worse than the last seven presidents. It takes some hardcore partisanship to stand behind him after the last three years. Attacking trump is all he’s got. His record is awful

Concur. But that doesn’t bear on unnecessary cost increases attributable to poor governance. Separate issues. There is no justification for Biden. The man is terrible
Then give me a reasonable alternative or stfu.

Perhaps the 2023 Stock Market predicted a Republican victory already.

It’s hard to believe Americans will believe ‘Orange man bad’ yet again.

Lawfare comes across as desperation now.

Neither are accurate.

Real estate hasn't doubled in less than 3 years, and if your string cheese cost $6, you're an idiot.
Every one at both groceries $6 for the small pack.

Heard on NPR today (short version): On the issue of who is a threat to democracy, Biden wins big, because Democrats and most independents agree with him. He also wins big because among people who are single-issue voters re: protecting democracy, he dominates Trump.
Biden saves democracy is the biggest hoax since Blinken and 51 intelligence agents pulled off the Hunter Russian disinformation hoax. When Biden doesn’t like the products of Democracy he ignores it like he is on the border, or he sues it like he is doing in Texas, or he ridicules it like he did in Georgia.

Biden only.likes the right kind of Democracy.

Neither are accurate.

Real estate hasn't doubled in less than 3 years, and if your string cheese cost $6, you're an idiot.
Nearly half. Here 40 percent. Other areas half or more. Calif, parts of so fla. I don’t say something unless it’s accurate.

Last edited:
Every one at both groceries $6 for the small pack.

Instacart jacks prices up more then 30%.

I can get kraft string cheese at my Kroger for $3.99. That same string cheese on instacart in my area goes for $6.59.

Go into an actual store and groceries are cheeper.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT