ADVERTISEMENT

Look's like we are going to get a new team

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
The new staff does not look to be having a lot of luck keeping current players in fact more keep entering the portal. Up to 23 now. It does not appear the bravado played very well in the locker room or maybe they just loved Tom Allen or are just done with Indiana at this point, but I thought the exodus would reverse and that does not appear to be happening. We are looking at replacing about half the team next year including most of the two deep. This is going to be quite the rebuild. I am sure somebody will say "good riddance" but that's a big rebuild.

Early days yet, but my assessment of CCC so far is that he is a little stiff and lacks charisma. This seems like a stark contrast to the energy and fire we saw at times from Tom Allen. Curious how he resonates with potential recruits, let alone the guys who committed to Allen and have to be talked into staying. Then again this could just be house cleaning. Regardless I am not confident we're going to have a very competitive team for a couple seasons. Really, really hope I'm wrong though.

Well if players are looking to get paid they need to know their value. It’s part of negotiating. In this new environment players need to protect themselves so shopping the open market is how they find their perceived value. They then can use that as leverage to get the best deal possible. It’s business now so everything we knew about building a team is gone.

It isn't like returning players have an advantage in knowing the system over players from the portal. All that matters is we try to get more incoming talent in the portal than outgoing talent.

We also don't know the reasons for entering the portal and the likelihood of withdrawing their name from portal.

CCC may be cleaning house more than we expected.

Players may just be testing their value on the market.

Who knows

The new staff does not look to be having a lot of luck keeping current players in fact more keep entering the portal. Up to 23 now. It does not appear the bravado played very well in the locker room or maybe they just loved Tom Allen or are just done with Indiana at this point, but I thought the exodus would reverse and that does not appear to be happening. We are looking at replacing about half the team next year including most of the two deep. This is going to be quite the rebuild. I am sure somebody will say "good riddance" but that's a big rebuild.
We probably need an influx of players. The guys looking elsewhere went 3-9

Cignetti hasn’t been head coach a full week yet and has been working on his staff. Perhaps see how things play out over the next month? People seem to be way too worried about losing players off a 3 win team. Give him some time to build this team and judge him by results on the field. Whether we use the same players or new players it’s still a rebuild with a new system. So, I don’t think it matters if we replace portal players with portal players. It’s just swapping a name for a name. I’m as anxious as anyone else to see how things play out, but just have to be patient and see how this shake out.

It’s looking like 8 home games 3 of which non con cupcakes and sure Bowl is going down the Portal . Was sure a IU winning season next year but nothing positive as far as players staying or coming seems to be happening.

Last edited:
i
It seems like Cignetti will be buying a team from the transfer portal. I guess that's par for the course in today's world.

It's very difficult to buy an Offensive Line through the Portal... Literally everyone else is going after the same guys... I'd like to see how well our guys develop after another year with Bostad...(if we can bring them back [aside from Sales])...

Last edited:
This is what typically happens when there is a coaching change. You know that, right? Firing a coach is a knife that cuts both ways. I'm looking forward to watching IU football under CCC next year.

If Bostad is liked by his OL guys, surprising to see five in there, which is what i count. Some safeties and CBs also, even with a coach with a solid resume and NFL experience with DBs.

Well, I've actually been expecting a 'slightly' weaker roster next year. Don't know if that will be true or not. No way to tell yet. But every new coach there's a lot of turnover, and even more now with the portal.

I see some good players, many who won't return most likely. Will be fun to see who we get, what sort of roster. I don't expect coach to be the lovey dovey type, but I also think he'll recruit pretty well. A solid staff with good training and track record is what players want.
I have no problem if LEO players who I respect want to move on, their guy got canned.

Go Hoosiers! Go coach!

Last edited:
i

It's very difficult to buy an Offensive Line through the Portal... Literally everyone else is going after the same guys... I'd like to see how well our guys develop after another year with Bostad...(if we can bring them back [aside from Sales])...
OL and DL are both difficult to build via the portal. There are a handful of guys from those two rooms that we need to retain.

1. Putting your name in the portal does not mean that a player is automatically leaving. Some are likely just keeping options open, which is prudent.

2. The reasons for being in the portal are probably as varied as the players themselves. That's quite a stretch to assume that they simply don't like the new coach. For all we know, some may be encouraged to move on.

3. It's baffling to me that anybody would think that players would not be upset and consider leaving when the coach and staff they came to play for gets fired. Seriously, did some folks on here not think that 20 - 30 players would not enter the portal, no matter who the new coach happens to be ?

4. We have been 1-8 in the conference each of the past three years. Obviously the guys we are losing are not irreplaceable. If we struggle this season and fail to make a bowl, are we at all worse off than we have been ? Give the new staff a chance before you wring your hands into knots and crap your pants.

didn't we bring in a lot of portal guys last year? in fact wasn't about half the team portal transfers?

Tom Allen's way of doing things lost a bunch of games. The guy coming in has done nothing but win. I don't care if he is stiff as a board, most of the best coaches in the country are that way. He has been a winner everywhere he has been. If his personality or the way he wants to do things rubs players wrong, then move along. Maybe some of that losing issue revolves around a soft ass culture at Indiana where losing has just become what we do here. That taints everything.

I guarantee the majority of places these guys could end up is going to lean more towards Cignetti's personality than it is Allen's.

Tom Allen's way of doing things lost a bunch of games. The guy coming in has done nothing but win. I don't care if he is stiff as a board, most of the best coaches in the country are that way. He has been a winner everywhere he has been. If his personality or the way he wants to do things rubs players wrong, then move along. Maybe some of that losing issue revolves around a soft ass culture at Indiana where losing has just become what we do here. That taints everything.

I guarantee the majority of places these guys could end up is going to lean more towards Cignetti's personality than it is Allen's.
^^^ This is just excellent summation, IMO:)

It will be interesting to see where some of the guys in the portal end up. Funny how some of the names on the list are guys Who couldn't find their way on the field or into the rotation on a losing team. My guess is there is little ifv any market for them. Some of them may have to drop a Level to DII or NAIA if playing time is their objective.

Coach not only has been a recruiting coordinator, Shanahan's title at JMU was recruiting coordinator, along with OC.
Now, they didn't get a big 10 level class I understand. But they should know how it's all done. Plus they won with who they got.

I am certainly a fan of Tom Allen's upbeat mindset and positivity. It's clear he was in over his head. I have the same opinion of Tom Crean. Guys i'd love to be sitting with in the stands and cheering on the Hoosiers. CCC seems like a no-nonsense, what you see is what you get type of coach that you need at the helm. You know where you stand, if you don't like it, no problem - it's not for everyone. I'm excited for him to bring his knowledge, winning mentality and strategy to Bloomington.

It would be nice if fans would give coach Cignetti and his coaching staff time as we won't know the roster they will put together. Too many things are in play right now: a new offensive style, coaches that have a different approach to the team, new coaches at every position except OL.

We won't know a lot about IU until next Fall and the first game. I think coach Cignetti will get the job done and we will be excited about the season.

It would be nice if fans would give coach Cignetti and his coaching staff time as we won't know the roster they will put together. Too many things are in play right now: a new offensive style, coaches that have a different approach to the team, new coaches at every position except OL.

We won't know a lot about IU until next Fall and the first game. I think coach Cignetti will get the job done and we will be excited about the season.
Nobody is arguing not to give him time. It's just commentary that this is going to have to get done the "hard way" with a complete rebuild versus being able to build off a roster that albeit unsuccessful did have a lot of individual talent on it. You can see by the offers some of our players are very highly thought of.

It will be interesting to see where some of the guys in the portal end up. Funny how some of the names on the list are guys Who couldn't find their way on the field or into the rotation on a losing team. My guess is there is little ifv any market for them. Some of them may have to drop a Level to DII or NAIA if playing time is their objective.
Some for sure...just too many guys in the portal...but you would be surprised what kind of interest most of our portal guys are getting. The talent was there.

It is WAY too early to make any judgements in either direction. I don't get the want or need for some to cope with their stress of whether or not IU will do better under CCC by searching for affirmations of their fears based on insane logic.

Take a deep breath. The team could use a sort of reset to a degree and CCC has at least proven he knows how to win at each of the levels he's been at, so far. To question whether or not he knows how to recruit "at this level" when he spent his first 3 or 4 seasons establishing the foundation of Nick Saban's Alabama dynasty.....seems a bit far-fetched, right?

We just need to let CCC and his staff have the time to establish the culture and re-direct expectations so that a strong foundation for the future is able to be laid. I know we want instant success as that's natural but after we just spent $15.5 mil just to get rid of a coach, I think we should sit back and give CCC all the freedom he needs to try his way. If we're sitting here 3 years from now and feeling the same way......then we can break out the concerns.

Nobody is arguing not to give him time. It's just commentary that this is going to have to get done the "hard way" with a complete rebuild versus being able to build off a roster that albeit unsuccessful did have a lot of individual talent on it. You can see by the offers some of our players are very highly thought of.
Where can we find a list of these offers?

We lost a bunch of good players from Allen's roster the previous year too. (Without a coaching change.) Yet still had a solid roster. Shows he and staff could recruit, but...

And we have little idea yet how many in the portal we'll not bring back.

If Bostad is liked by his OL guys, surprising to see five in there, which is what i count. Some safeties and CBs also, even with a coach with a solid resume and NFL experience with DBs.

Well, I've actually been expecting a 'slightly' weaker roster next year. Don't know if that will be true or not. No way to tell yet. But every new coach there's a lot of turnover, and even more now with the portal.

I see some good players, many who won't return most likely. Will be fun to see who we get, what sort of roster. I don't expect coach to be the lovey dovey type, but I also think he'll recruit pretty well. A solid staff with good training and track record is what players want.
I have no problem if LEO players who I respect want to move on, their guy got canned.

Go Hoosiers! Go coach!
Next year's roster will be far better simply because of a far superior coaching staff. I'll bet Cig does very well in replacing any decent players we lose anyway. Things are looking up for IU football.

So I was thinking of doing this, use Rivals to see who James Madison recruited the last 4 years and cross reference the portal to see if there are any matches. Could give a good idea of who might come here.

This is the least concerned I’ve been over a new coach due to the confidence Coach Cig has instilled in me.

He’s been a consistent winner, has a clear and distinct plan, and is confident he’ll be successful.

Too bad we have to wait nearly nine months before they actually play a real game. Everything until then is just speculation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT