ADVERTISEMENT

The JMU transfers….

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Have had a chance to watch a good portion of the JMU season of 2023 since Cignetti has been hired.
I really do like this offense he runs. Really, really versatile. Uss some great deception. Maybe it was actually just a normal offense and our own last year was so predictable and scripted that JMU just looked exceptional in comparison.
Here’s who looks very good on film:

Surratt - the kid has absolute pro potential. He had some drops but he can certainly play at this level and some shifty moves.. I think he was not quite as explosive as Phoenix Spoles but the kid had some punt returns that were ankle breakers when he got out weaving through guys. And, we got him early and he was going to be highly sought after in the portal.

Carpenter on the DL looks really high motor. He’s a little short but makes up for that with effort on every play. He will start.

Kaelon Black and Tyson Lawton - Like Black a bit better. But glad they are both here because together, they are tough guys with similar style. We didn’t have that before. We had different style guys alternating in. These two are like hand in glove back there together and with Howland back there, we should be good there.

The linemen and LBs appear capable, particularly Kidwell and Walker.

Zach Horton seems too good not to get him several touches during the game.

What's up with Kidwell's injury? He's been rehabbing a long time yet still not practicing, is that correct?

Coach is expecting him for the fall per the press conferences. But I'm concerned people lose a lot when they haven't played for a long time. Maybe he's one of those guys that is working his tail off and the effect will be minimal. But will the injury remain in his mind, even after he's cleared? And is the type of injury that you even do become 100% afterwards. (What was it, neck?)

What's up with Kidwell's injury? He's been rehabbing a long time yet still not practicing, is that correct?

Coach is expecting him for the fall per the press conferences. But I'm concerned people lose a lot when they haven't played for a long time. Maybe he's one of those guys that is working his tail off and the effect will be minimal. But will the injury remain in his mind, even after he's cleared? And is the type of injury that you even do become 100% afterwards. (What was it, neck?)
As I recall he had knee surgery.

It will be interesting to see the role JMU players have this year and how much they contribute to a winning season.

Reactions: red hornet
Have had a chance to watch a good portion of the JMU season of 2023 since Cignetti has been hired.
I really do like this offense he runs. Really, really versatile. Uss some great deception. Maybe it was actually just a normal offense and our own last year was so predictable and scripted that JMU just looked exceptional in comparison.

Surratt - the kid has absolute pro potential. He had some drops but he can certainly play at this level and some shifty moves.. I think he was not quite as explosive as Phoenix Spoles but the kid had some punt returns that were ankle breakers when he got out weaving through guys. And, we got him early and he was going to be highly sought after in the portal.

Carpenter on the DL looks really high motor. He’s a little short but makes up for that with effort on every play. He will start.

Kaelon Black and Tyson Lawton - Like Black a bit better. But glad they are both here because together, they are tough guys with similar style. We didn’t have that before. We had different style guys alternating in. These two are like hand in glove back there together and with Howland back there, we should be good there.

I had been thinking that the Sunbelt all conference performers wouldn’t be a step down … considering how close WKU played IU in the past.

Thanks for the effort and analysis. I hold the same thoughts as the consensus, IU offense in Cignetti system will be welcome after last 3 seasons. Leadership is key.

There are a lot of things to be excited about this team and coaching staff. It will be a different IU team that hits the field this season. If coach Cignetti's vision of this season comes true it will a very exciting season for IUFB fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT