ADVERTISEMENT

Going to need someone who can bring a team with them

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
We literally may not have enough to field a roster when the portal stuff is done. What a ridiculous rebuild this is going to be. Elite recruiter is probably another necessary requirement for the job. Candle probably moves up the ladder for me because he could probably bring the ten best guys at Toledo with him. We are going to need to break portal records just to field a team.

We'd better find someone who can bring in an entire two deep on the OL or we're going to struggle for the next 2 to 3 years...

With the portal - we’ll get guys
There will be guys who are fully intrigued to sign on for 1-2 seasons just to play in the Big Ten under a new regime. It won’t be as bad as everyone thinks.

With the portal - we’ll get guys
There will be guys who are fully intrigued to sign on for 1-2 seasons just to play in the Big Ten under a new regime. It won’t be as bad as everyone thinks.
Guess that's why it was so easy to find Offensive Lineman to plug into the mix from the last Portal class... ((That's Sarcasm by the way))

If you followed the portal the last couple of years it is not guaranteed that those players will actually transfer. Lucas and Freeman both went through senior day and so it makes sense that they are looking for best fit for their final season of college ball. We had a true freshman scholarship kicker so that would not be a big deal if he doesn't transfer.

Deion Sanders pretty much told everyone at Colorado to leave so he could have his players and picks of the portal.

The next few weeks especially will most likely see transition in coaching and potential roster makeup. Once more coaches are terminated there will be a lot of players added to the portal. I would guess Oregon State has most of their team going into the portal also.

Talking to a couple of MSU fans at the game they had all but one scholarship running back enter the portal before the end of season. They had people abandon them right and left after the coach was fired.

We just have to let it play out and first see how committed to the football program the administration is now.

We won't struggle any worse than we have the last 2-3 years. We've been terrible in case you didn't notice.
We'll struggle to win 2 if we lose all the offensive lineman who are currently in the Portal... Count on it.

If you followed the portal the last couple of years it is not guaranteed that those players will actually transfer. Lucas and Freeman both went through senior day and so it makes sense that they are looking for best fit for their final season of college ball. We had a true freshman scholarship kicker so that would not be a big deal if he doesn't transfer.

Deion Sanders pretty much told everyone at Colorado to leave so he could have his players and picks of the portal.

The next few weeks especially will most likely see transition in coaching and potential roster makeup. Once more coaches are terminated there will be a lot of players added to the portal. I would guess Oregon State has most of their team going into the portal also.

Talking to a couple of MSU fans at the game they had all but one scholarship running back enter the portal before the end of season. They had people abandon them right and left after the coach was fired.

We just have to let it play out and first see how committed to the football program the administration is now.
How's ol'Dion doing these days and how well do you think the Portal served him when it came to his offensive line?

Reactions: Lillyr66

when talking specifically about the offensive line the portal plan was an abject disaster for Deion.

And should we be using him as an example of what to do? That team is a mess.

I think some of these players will decide to stay after we hire a coach.
If we get our s--t together and get a coach hired and a staff lined up right away then you're probably right...

If we drag our feet and screw around attempting to hit a home run when a single will do then all bets are off and I think many of those guys will actually move on...

Reactions: MIS01
If we get our s--t together and get a coach hired and a staff lined up right away then you're probably right...

If we drag our feet and screw around attempting to hit a home run when a single will do then all bets are off and I think many of those guys will actually move on...
You're still on this rant? Let's hire a coach with a 3-4 win ceiling just so Sorsby and McCulley might come back.

Kansas St has seen 3 of their 4 QBs go into the portal in the last two days. MSU had had a portal surge. I am not worried about the IU portal issue as most wait to see who the new coach is and want to test the waters first.

Very short sighted opinion. I’ll wait an extra week to get a home run even if we lose every game next year. I’m looking at the overall program while you’re concerned about a season or two.

Very short sighted opinion. I’ll wait an extra week to get a home run even if we lose every game next year. I’m looking at the overall program while you’re concerned about a season or two.
You'll be among the first to call for the new coaches head if he has two losing seasons in a row...

You'd better worry more about who we'll be lining up on the Offensive and Defensive lines...
Next year is going to be tough regardless of who is hired. Give me a a guy who can recruit and hire a support staff capable of developing on the offensive and defensive lines and we'll talk 3-4 years from now. IU isn't winning 6+ games next year regardless of who is hired this year and who stays/goes in the portal.

Last edited:
There will be hundreds the transfer portal,it will be ok.
I don’t understand all this worry over something that we knew was going to happen.
Had Allen been fired or not it would be the same situation.
I look at it like the old joke…
The good news is we have everyone back.
The bad news is we have everyone back.
Damned if you do.
Damned if you don’t.

Reactions: Cap99 and bang63
We literally may not have enough to field a roster when the portal stuff is done. What a ridiculous rebuild this is going to be. Elite recruiter is probably another necessary requirement for the job. Candle probably moves up the ladder for me because he could probably bring the ten best guys at Toledo with him. We are going to need to break portal records just to field a team.

There is no doubt we will be able to fill the roster given the transfer portal. The only question is the talent level of the people we bring in.

Days are gone when it takes years to fill a roster.

Reactions: Cap99 and CC Mac
Other than PS we we’re competitive against shitty teams and still lost.
We were competitive against Ohio State. We beat Wisconsin. We were very competitive with Michigan for a half. ANd we were very competitive vs. PSU, as you said.

there have been years we haven't been competitive against shitty teams.

Obvioiusly we shouldn't purposely drag our feet but getting the hire right is much more important than hiring someone fast.

We may struggle next year or 2 even with the right hire. If we get the wrong hire, we may be waiting til the 2030s.

As many have said...with a good coach, the Portal will be kind, I'm sure.

One factor that I haven't seen discussed though, is the portal window this year is 15 days shorter. It has been 60 days for a few years, now its 45 days.

No matter what, make sure you make a good, solid, hire...don't rush in to it for any reason. But realistically, that portal window is an important factor to consider.

Need to be working through the process in a responsibly quick and efficient manner.

With a shorter window, the new staff will have less overall time. And the players in the portal will probably be making their decisions more quickly as well.

As many have said...with a good coach, the Portal will be kind, I'm sure.

One factor that I haven't seen discussed though, is the portal window this year is 15 days shorter. It has been 60 days for a few years, now its 45 days.

No matter what, make sure you make a good, solid, hire...don't rush in to it for any reason. But realistically, that portal window is an important factor to consider.

Need to be working through the process in a responsibly quick and efficient manner.

With a shorter window, the new staff will have less overall time. And the players in the portal will probably be making their decisions more quickly as well.
I think that window is just when players are allowed to put their names into the transfer portal. Doesn't force them to decide any faster.

They shortened the window so coaches could know where their roster stood earlier and not be scrambling because a player waited until the last day to enter the portal.

You're still on this rant? Let's hire a coach with a 3-4 win ceiling just so Sorsby and McCulley might come back.
They only name in the mix that has a 3-4 win ceiling is Fitzgerald and I've made it abundantly clear that I don't want to see him anywhere near the IU Football program, not even as an analyst...

I think that window is just when players are allowed to put their names into the transfer portal. Doesn't force them to decide any faster.

They shortened the window so coaches could know where their roster stood earlier and not be scrambling because a player waited until the last day to enter the portal.
Smith is gone. He tweeted yesterday that he was excited to announce that we has going to further his athletic and educational career at OSU. He then deleted it soon after. His brother is there and he is from Columbus so it makes sense.

They only name in the mix that has a 3-4 win ceiling is Fitzgerald and I've made it abundantly clear that I don't want to see him anywhere near the IU Football program, not even as an analyst...
Justin Frye would take the job in the next hour if offered, I'd wait until guys like Tom Herman, Jason Candle, Paul Chryst, etc say no before we pull the trigger on an OC with zero head coaching experience because Sorsby or McCulley MIGHT come back. That is a terrible way to approach the situation.

Reactions: red hornet
Justin Frye would take the job in the next hour if offered, I'd wait until guys like Tom Herman, Jason Candle, Paul Chryst, etc say no before we pull the trigger on an OC with zero head coaching experience because Sorsby or McCulley MIGHT come back. That is a terrible way to approach the situation.
You're the one focused on Sorsby and McCulley...

I'm concerned about losing the heart of both our Offensive and Defensive lines... Good QB's and good WR's are a dime a dozen in the Portal. Lineman not so much....

Have to move on with my day and it seems somewhat important to you to have the last word so have at it. I might respond this evening if I have time but actually I'm sort of getting tired of explaining the same thing multiple times...

Reactions: iueyedoc99
We were competitive against Ohio State. We beat Wisconsin. We were very competitive with Michigan for a half. ANd we were very competitive vs. PSU, as you said.

there have been years we haven't been competitive against shitty teams.
Should’ve beaten Louisville too.

I’d be very surprised if Sorsby comes back,he was pretty much out the door when they left West Laffy.
Someone (for some reason) has offered him some money.

Reactions: 76-1

I'm concerned about losing the heart of both our Offensive and Defensive lines... Good QB's and good WR's are a dime a dozen in the Portal. Lineman not so much....

Have to move on with my day and it seems somewhat important to you to have the last word so have at it. I might respond this evening if I have time but actually I'm sort of getting tired of explaining the same thing multiple times...
If the goal was to keep the same exact roster intact from a team that went 3-9 then there was no reason to fire Allen in the first place. Roster turnover comes with a regime change in this climate. You're assuming whoever is hired isn't going to bring any of their guys?

Take the day, think it over, and let me know.

Nearly our entire starting DL this past season were portal transfers. Our OL was possibly the worst in the conference. Losing guys from these units is all very small potatoes compared to the need to hire the right coach. Not much else to explain.

One the one hand, sure. on the other, we were THISCLOSE to being 1-11 this year.
You always have to factor in the close wins with the close losses. But losing and losing in a really non-competitive way are two very different things. Although with roster turnover what it is these days, maybe there's not much to build on to carry over to next year.

We'd better find someone who can bring in an entire two deep on the OL or we're going to struggle for the next 2 to 3 years...
Did you mean to say 20 to 30 years rather than 2 to 3. Face the reality. This is really bad.

You always have to factor in the close wins with the close losses. But losing and losing in a really non-competitive way are two very different things. Although with roster turnover what it is these days, maybe there's not much to build on to carry over to next year.
Add the timing of the games as well.

After Rutgers/Maryland portion non-competitive games, I was expecting a series of "83-20's" down the stretch.

Remarkably, this team actually reversed that somehow...largely because we started getting a lot of "2nd and 2's" instead of "2nd and 12's". Kinda started reminding me of the CKW days when we knew we had something brewing...closer and closer losses, and some wins, against some good teams.

Hell, we beat ILL, MSU, and PUR....in the 50/50 games we had...and Allen is almost certainly still here given our finish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT