ADVERTISEMENT

Look's like we are going to get a new team

Sorsby to Cincinnati.

Makes me think the staff didn't ask him to come back.
Come On Down Price Is Right GIF by Justin

Make It Rain Money GIF by Tim and Eric

If Bostad is liked by his OL guys, surprising to see five in there, which is what i count. Some safeties and CBs also, even with a coach with a solid resume and NFL experience with DBs.

Well, I've actually been expecting a 'slightly' weaker roster next year. Don't know if that will be true or not. No way to tell yet. But every new coach there's a lot of turnover, and even more now with the portal.

I see some good players, many who won't return most likely. Will be fun to see who we get, what sort of roster. I don't expect coach to be the lovey dovey type, but I also think he'll recruit pretty well. A solid staff with good training and track record is what players want.
I have no problem if LEO players who I respect want to move on, their guy got canned.

Go Hoosiers! Go coach!
Your OL statement is way off base.
Most of the guys in the portal (all the OL) went in before we hired CCC and before we announced that Coach Bostad was being retained.
As others have mentioned, CCC was working on hiring a staff,
Since announcing Coach Bostad was retained two OL recruits announced they were re-offered. It appears that CCC trusts Bostad's appraisal, so would think they would work to keep the current OL that Coach Bostad wants back.
I know I'm first in line wanting info on who is visiting, who are we offering, etc, but we need to try to be patient and let CCC cook.
Hoping we can keep at least 2-3 of the OL in the portal to maintain the OL. Even with a new offense coming in, the OL is a position where familiarity with each other will pay dividends.

Cignetti hasn’t been head coach a full week yet and has been working on his staff. Perhaps see how things play out over the next month? People seem to be way too worried about losing players off a 3 win team. Give him some time to build this team and judge him by results on the field. Whether we use the same players or new players it’s still a rebuild with a new system. So, I don’t think it matters if we replace portal players with portal players. It’s just swapping a name for a name. I’m as anxious as anyone else to see how things play out, but just have to be patient and see how this shake out.
I want to rebuild a team with guys who are proud to wear the " Indiana " on their chest ( and satisfied with what they get from NIL ! ) I may be old school but that's my interpretation of LEO.

I wasn't saying he wasn't appreciated by those guys.

But thx. Good post. I did think several entered after.

Guess I keep expecting people to quickly no longer be in the portal if they are strongly leaning our way but durp not how it works.

Good to hear on the reoffers.

Most of the guys in the portal (all the OL) went in before we hired CCC and before we announced that Coach Bostad was being retained.
As others have mentioned, CCC was working on hiring a staff,
Since announcing Coach Bostad was retained two OL recruits announced they were re-offered. It appears that CCC trusts Bostad's appraisal, so would think they would work to keep the current OL that Coach Bostad wants back.
I know I'm first in line wanting info on who is visiting, who are we offering, etc, but we need to try to be patient and let CCC cook.
Hoping we can keep at least 2-3 of the OL in the portal to maintain the OL. Even with a new offense coming in, the OL is a position where familiarity with each other will pay dividends.
Besides Carter Smith, who did Coach Bostad re-offer?

Reactions: vesuvius13
If Bostad is liked by his OL guys, surprising to see five in there, which is what i count. Some safeties and CBs also, even with a coach with a solid resume and NFL experience with DBs.

Well, I've actually been expecting a 'slightly' weaker roster next year. Don't know if that will be true or not. No way to tell yet. But every new coach there's a lot of turnover, and even more now with the portal.

I see some good players, many who won't return most likely. Will be fun to see who we get, what sort of roster. I don't expect coach to be the lovey dovey type, but I also think he'll recruit pretty well. A solid staff with good training and track record is what players want.
I have no problem if LEO players who I respect want to move on, their guy got canned.

Go Hoosiers! Go coach!
Not only did their guy get canned, but “their guy” got canned on account of them, their guy’s “them”!

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Early days yet, but my assessment of CCC so far is that he is a little stiff and lacks charisma. This seems like a stark contrast to the energy and fire we saw at times from Tom Allen. Curious how he resonates with potential recruits, let alone the guys who committed to Allen and have to be talked into staying. Then again this could just be house cleaning. Regardless I am not confident we're going to have a very competitive team for a couple seasons. Really, really hope I'm wrong though.
He lacks charisma? I don't know about that. I see a lot of fire and confidence in CCC, but maybe not the nurturing/dad/pastor figure that CTA was. Not sure how important or realistic that is for a football head coach to be honest. I think that's more important for a basketball coach. You can't be everyone's "dad" when your roster is 85+ kids. Position coaches should be more of the "buddy" to the players. Regardless, what CTA was bringing was not translating to wins and that's what P5 head coaches are expected to do these days for good and bad. Win. Relative to past IU coaches, he did ok. But he definitely had lost any and all momentum and was putting out an undisciplined team who could never pull out the close wins against teams they should have beaten. That's a big problem for a team like IU.

This is the least concerned I’ve been over a new coach due to the confidence Coach Cig has instilled in me.

He’s been a consistent winner, has a clear and distinct plan, and is confident he’ll be successful.

To bad we have to wait nearly nine months before they actually play a real game. Everything until then is just speculation.
Without speculation we have nothing this time of year.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
He lacks charisma? I don't know about that. I see a lot of fire and confidence in CCC, but maybe not the nurturing/dad/pastor figure that CTA was. Not sure how important or realistic that is for a football head coach to be honest. I think that's more important for a basketball coach. You can't be everyone's "dad" when your roster is 85+ kids. Position coaches should be more of the "buddy" to the players. Regardless, what CTA was bringing was not translating to wins and that's what P5 head coaches are expected to do these days for good and bad. Win. Relative to past IU coaches, he did ok. But he definitely had lost any and all momentum and was putting out an undisciplined team who could never pull out the close wins against teams they should have beaten. That's a big problem for a team like IU.
A buddy to his position group????? Never!!!! That is a recipe for disaster!

This is what typically happens when there is a coaching change. You know that, right? Firing a coach is a knife that cuts both ways. I'm looking forward to watching IU football under CCC next year.
I believe that when Archie Miller was fired, all the players except Leal (maybe also Galloway?) entered the portal. It's not a sign of anything other than keeping their options open.

I believe that when Archie Miller was fired, all the players except Leal (maybe also Galloway?) entered the portal. It's not a sign of anything other than keeping their options open.
Add to that that the student athletes are getting ready for final exams so it probably makes a lot of sense to get their portal entry in ASAP and try to avoid getting this tied up with exam week.

Besides Carter Smith, who did Coach Bostad re-offer?
The Re-offers were for Recruits for next year Lawrence and Ajani.

For the portal entrants, think we have to just wait and see there.

My post was saying CCC already trusted Bostad's advice on the two incoming Fresh OL, so would go to think he would trust his evaluation on the portal entrants as well. We just to give them some time to work that.

Also, as others mentioned, being in the portal is the thing to do and see what you get offered and have IU match that.

My post was saying CCC already trusted Bostad's advice on the two incoming Fresh OL, so would go to think he would trust his evaluation on the portal entrants as well. We just to give them some time to work that.

Also, as others mentioned, being in the portal is the thing to do and see what you get offered and have IU match that.

And the TE from Michigan. He was re-offered. Kosin.

A buddy to his position group????? Never!!!! That is a recipe for disaster!
"buddy" was in quotes for a reason. That's the coach you'd expect to have the closest relationship with players. You really think Nick Saban is hosting BBQs for his OL? And really, does that make them better at FB? I am not against that stuff, but you have to be able to separate your "father" figure role from the CEO role that a CFB head coach is. Letting your personal relationships cloud your FB judgement is definitely a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
2 years in a row, IU has had huge turnover in/out of the portal. Didn’t IU start 8-9 transfers on D last year? Believe IU’s had over 50 leave after the previous 2 seasons.

Sure there are some we’d like to stick around, who won’t. But, the majority of these guys will be moving down (MAC, AAC, etc) in competition and some out of competition. For every AJ Barner, there’s a Miles Marshall (Miami of OH) and a Cam Williams (not sure playing anywhere?). The numbers across the country have proven this out since the portal started.…there’s way more guys in the portal than there will be spots available for them elsewhere. The players thought the Portal was a good thing, and for some it is, but I think all agree, there’s been an awful lot of unintended consequences that no one so coming with it.

Let’s see what shakes out. Guess Coach Cig will have lots of PT to offer, just like CTA has done the last couple years. Hoping the new coach can “coach them up” better than the old coach with more positive results on the field.

I would think if you are retaining a current coach you would also keep his recruits. Not a good look to pull rank and undermine the judgement of the dude you just hired!

Nobody is arguing not to give him time. It's just commentary that this is going to have to get done the "hard way" with a complete rebuild versus being able to build off a roster that albeit unsuccessful did have a lot of individual talent on it. You can see by the offers some of our players are very highly thought of.
And do you think its there are only 2 types of rebuild?

Here's the news: I am going to sue the Brown & Williamson Tobacco Company, manufacturers of Pall Mall cigarettes, for a billion bucks! Starting when I was only twelve years old, I have never chain-smoked anything but unfiltered Pall Malls. And for many years now, right on the package, Brown & Williamson have promised to kill me.
But I am eighty-two. Thanks a lot, you dirty rats. The last thing I ever wanted was to be alive when the three most powerful people on the whole planet would be named Bush, Dick and Colon.
Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

It’s very easy to forget that pretty much the last 4 years, we consistently lost almost 1/2 of our high school signees. Continuously under Allen. Kids are kids. The LEO culture didn’t appear to keep kids any more than other approaches?
Cignetti said teams turn over 30% of their rosters and when IU signed a class of 20 kids and you look at that a year or two later and 10 kids remain, it pretty much plays out just like any other school. I don’t fault LEO but was it any more impactful than any other style?

It's very early. I thought more kids would reverse course, or not enter too, but nowadays anything will sway a kid to transfer. Also, Cignetti might not really want these kids in his system, so there's that too.

Have appreciated your insights this year. Wish it had turned out better for Philip. Can you tell us how his future looks?
Appreciate you… 2024 looks like a great opportunity.

He is getting to know the new staff and already working towards 2024.

Excited about the new DL scheme and think he and MB are poised for a terrific season. Spring will be huge.

Excited about the new DL scheme and think he and MB are poised for a terrific season. Spring will be huge.

Whoa, I had it in my head that Philip was done with college football. (I don't claim to be all that smart...) Please do keep us appraised of how things are shaking out under the new regime and everything. No doubt it's kind of raw at Memorial Stadium at the moment. As you say, spring will be like a Broadway opening.

That's fantastic. Looking at JMU's DL success, and their coaches coming over. I bet they have a big year.

Who plays nose? I suppose it depends upon whether PJ comes back and Robbie Harrison stepping up—if PJ comes back i would guess Robbie and PJ man the nose (assuming no further additions in the portal) on non passing downs with Phil and/or MB at both tackle spots. In theory, since MB was recruited as a 3-4 DE, he could fill the DE role in normal situations and take the sport Carter had. Really need 10-12 DL to play anymore, so hopefully we can keep building. .I wish we knew more about Collins and Monette….(yes I’m hinting at you for answers) :)

Whoa, I had it in my head that Philip was done with college football. (I don't claim to be all that smart...) Please do keep us appraised of how things are shaking out under the new regime and everything. No doubt it's kind of raw at Memorial Stadium at the moment. As you say, spring will be like a Broadway opening.
These guys do not roll like the prior staff so my contributions will be limited.

But trust them when they say they have a plan. They have some real challenges ahead of them, but they seem to be facing them head on. I know everyone in the coaching business works hard, but they seem to be on a different level and very efficient.

Passionate group for sure. So far so good from our side. Pretty excited about them.

Last edited:

He has another year? GREAT!!! I thought he was gone.

I so admire him for sticking around. Proud to call him a fellow Hoosier!

If they have a Spring game, we should get a group together to tailgate.

These guys do not roll like the prior staff so my contributions will be limited.

But trust them when they say they have a plan. They have some real challenges ahead of them, but they seem to be facing them head on. I know everyone in the coaching business works hard, but they seem to be on a different level and very efficient.

Passionate group for sure. So far so good from our side. Pretty excited about them.
That's the most insightful & encouraging thing I've read all season.

Well if players are looking to get paid they need to know their value. It’s part of negotiating. In this new environment players need to protect themselves so shopping the open market is how they find their perceived value. They then can use that as leverage to get the best deal possible. It’s business now so everything we knew about building a team is gone.
Which has ruined college football..

Thanks for the insight. Really appreciate your comments and experience.

"buddy" was in quotes for a reason. That's the coach you'd expect to have the closest relationship with players. You really think Nick Saban is hosting BBQs for his OL? And really, does that make them better at FB? I am not against that stuff, but you have to be able to separate your "father" figure role from the CEO role that a CFB head coach is. Letting your personal relationships cloud your FB judgement is definitely a recipe for disaster.
I know Saban hosts BBQs with his position groups, just like Allen did and probably most programs do. I've seen videos of it.

Reactions: midwolfe
I know Saban hosts BBQs with his position groups, just like Allen did and probably most programs do. I've seen videos of it.
And really, does that make them better at FB? I am not against that stuff, but you have to be able to separate your "father" figure role from the CEO role that a CFB head coach is. Letting your personal relationships cloud your FB judgement is definitely a recipe for disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT