ADVERTISEMENT

We Have the Talent

Battimi

Senior
Apr 26, 2002
This season has been marred by poor roster construction (still lack shooting and proper guard depth), injuries (X again) and what appears to be erratic scouting and preparation. Worse, the team does not appear to be that well drilled and does not appear to play with a clear identity or purpose. The most alarming issue is the preparation (or lack thereof). We do not seem to have a game plan to attack the other team's weaknesses nor protect our own weaknesses or play to our strengths. Also, not seeing a lot of quality adjustments in-game. The preparation / scouting / identity / roster construction (skill set) issues have always been there under Woody, but getting exposed this year more than others because TJD was a highly underrated CBB talent.

X has his flaws, but we are an upper 1/2 B10 team with him on the court and maybe top 5 in B10. It will be a shame if we do not win the B10 tournament. It looks like the only sure path to making the dance. We can keep hope alive for now. It will be a really tough road, but this team has the talent to do it.

This season has been marred by poor roster construction (still lack shooting and proper guard depth), injuries (X again) and what appears to be erratic scouting and preparation. Worse, the team does not appear to be that well drilled and does not appear to play with a clear identity or purpose. The most alarming issue is the preparation (or lack thereof). We do not seem to have a game plan to attack the other team's weaknesses nor protect our own weaknesses or play to our strengths. Also, not seeing a lot of quality adjustments in-game. The preparation / scouting / identity / roster construction (skill set) issues have always been there under Woody, but getting exposed this year more than others because TJD was a highly underrated CBB talent.

X has his flaws, but we are an upper 1/2 B10 team with him on the court and maybe top 5 in B10. It will be a shame if we do not win the B10 tournament. It looks like the only sure path to making the dance. We can keep hope alive for now. It will be a really tough road, but this team has the talent to do it.
Three five star players but a bad coach who plays an outdated style. Do not expect any of that to change next year either.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Three five star players but a bad coach who plays an outdated style. Do not expect any of that to change next year either.
I'm not following everyone of your post, I just agree 100% with you. I also fear for Cav as he is going to lose his head again and buy into the next year will be better crowd and go back on his donation statement. His money, he can do what he wants to do. But betting on IU to win B1G tourney, 4/4 days with these guards is just not happening. JMHo ofcourse

Next year could be a total disaster diaper fire of epic proportions. We have one current recruit and probably losing 3 to 4 starters + likely a bench player or two. And Woody's pitch is what? Come make the NIT at Indiana and we will feature you and get you into the NBA? Okay.

• Haha
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Next year could be a total disaster diaper fire of epic proportions. We have one current recruit and probably losing 3 to 4 starters + likely a bench player or two. And Woody's pitch is what? Come make the NIT at Indiana and we will feature you and get you into the NBA? Okay.
He’s got to keep MM and MR. If not I have no idea how he builds a team.

s
Yep. This is bad but I hope next year crashes and burns to 13-17 7-13 type madness. Quinn can own it with his buddy.

He’s got to keep MM and MR. If not I have no idea how he builds a team.
I hope IU doesn't have a decent back-to-the-basket player next season so MW is forced to modernize his style. It that means Reneau must go, so be it.

The level of arrogance is the most alarming thing. Woodson carries himself as if he belongs in the same levels as the greats.

There is absolutely nothing worse for a program than a coach who’s ego doesn’t match his actual skill.

Letting this last another season will be a travesty.

Reactions: GThomas and Al Bino
I knew a small winning streak against mediocre teams..
Would get the sunglasses on again...
A win Sunday is far from guaranteed..
Then it's back to reality..
A run all the way to final game in the Twin Cities .Might get me to say ok..Give Woodson a chance if M.M. and M.R. come back..

A run all the way to final game in the Twin Cities .Might get me to say ok..Give Woodson a chance if M.M. and M.R. come back..

Then you are more generous than I.

They would have to beat MSU and win the BTT for me to even come close to changing my mind that he has to GO.

Fret not, constantly hear, with our resources and NIL we should be able to attract plenty of talent. Think we're finding out it takes much more than a ton of NIL money to be successful on the court.

Reactions: BleedinGold

Unless you are on the staff, you don't know what the scout was or what preparation entailed. Unless you attended practice, you have no clue how they were drilled.. Unless you were in strategy meetings, you have less of a clue what any game plan was. And unless you read minds or were in the huddle have no idea what adjustments were made. So why are you bleating on?

Stick with ball goes in equals good, ball misses equals bad ... lmao.

Also, how in the f**k can a first team AA who finished 2nd in POY voting be an underrated CBB talent?

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
Unless you are on the staff, you don't know what the scout was or what preparation entailed. Unless you attended practice, you have no clue how they were drilled.. Unless you were in strategy meetings, you have less of a clue what any game plan was. And unless you read minds or were in the huddle have no idea what adjustments were made. So why are you bleating on?

Stick with ball goes in equals good, ball misses equals bad ... lmao.

Also, how in the f**k can a first team AA who finished 2nd in POY voting be an underrated CBB talent?
Good one. You watch the games. You have watched college basketball for almost 50 years. Maybe 5,000 games +/-. You might have an idea of what a well coached team looks like. This is not it. Last year's team was not it. The product on the floor is not good. I do not need to be in the locker room or practice to know that. Yes, it is speculation, but whatever you think the components are of a quality coaching job - they are not getting one at IU right now. We are being out coached by 1/2 the league.

Our talent level is pretty high by all measures. Woodson, via recruiting and NIL, has had the opportunity to build the talent into a great team. He has failed.

What is it? Scouting, drilling, adjustments - whatever you want to call it. He leads the program. Let's just call it coaching and be done with the conversation.

As for TJD...you are right. He was an absolute beast. A joy to watch. Maybe the best player in CBB. And we could not get out of the round of 64. Thanks for further proving my point. Whatever the scout was against St. Marys was totally on point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT