ADVERTISEMENT

#1 seeds

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
PU came up short, but they were back to back #1 seeds. I was curious how often a B10 team did this. In other words, was the PU team one of the best B10 teams in the last 10 years, 20 yrs, etc?

I was curious because so many seem to be saying that this was their best and last chance to win it all. That might be true, but it can also be true that PU is the best that our conference can offer.

So, I did a little research , which goes back to 1979.

The last time a B10 team had back to back #1s was the State team that won it all around 25 yrs ago (the last B10 team to do it).

IU has been a 1 three times, 2013, one of the Cheaney teams, and 87.

The top of the list is peppered with the usual suspects, UNC, Duke KU and Kentucky.

59 times they’ve been a 1 seed since 1979, with 23 total titles (all time, so those titles include years before 1979).

Now this is weird - I googled number of titles, and they have UConn listed with 6, and one team (US) left blank next to tied with 5. We really are irrelevant!!

Most national championships in college basketball history
  • UCLA: 11.
  • Kentucky: 8.
  • T-3. North Carolina: 6.
  • T-3. UConn: 6.
  • T-5. Duke: 5.
  • T-5.
  • T-7. Kansas: 4.
  • T-8. Louisville: 3.

PU came up short, but they were back to back #1 seeds. I was curious how often a B10 team did this. In other words, was the PU team one of the best B10 teams in the last 10 years, 20 yrs, etc?

I was curious because so many seem to be saying that this was their best and last chance to win it all. That might be true, but it can also be true that PU is the best that our conference can offer.

So, I did a little research , which goes back to 1979.

The last time a B10 team had back to back #1s was the State team that won it all around 25 yrs ago (the last B10 team to do it).

IU has been a 1 three times, 2013, one of the Cheaney teams, and 87.

The top of the list is peppered with the usual suspects, UNC, Duke KU and Kentucky.

59 times they’ve been a 1 seed since 1979, with 23 total titles (all time, so those titles include years before 1979).

Now this is weird - I googled number of titles, and they have UConn listed with 6, and one team (US) left blank next to tied with 5. We really are irrelevant!!

Most national championships in college basketball history
  • UCLA: 11.
  • Kentucky: 8.
  • T-3. North Carolina: 6.
  • T-3. UConn: 6.
  • T-5. Duke: 5.
  • T-5.
  • T-7. Kansas: 4.
  • T-8. Louisville: 3.
wow I guess we were forced to vacate those titles? Damn we can't buy a break.

IU probably would have had back to back #1 seeds in 92 and 93 if we hadn't laid an egg in Mackey in the last B1G game. Lost by 2 pts, lost the tie with OSU for conf title, and lost on that Sunday ranked #4. But it must have motivated the team because they kicked ass in the tourney, until they ran into a Ted Valentine-led Duke team in MSP in the F4.

Reactions: .Gerdis
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT