ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala Harris hits a home run in her first appearance as Candidate

Do you consider it making more, even though you are spending more?

Asking for a friend.
I'm not necessarily spending more - I have paid down a significant chunk of debt aside from the student loan forgiveness and I am in the best shape financially than I've ever been in my life.

Reactions: UncleMark
I'm not necessarily spending more - I have paid down a significant chunk of debt aside from the student loan forgiveness and I am in the best shape financially than I've ever been in my life.
But you are spending more. When inflation is 8%, and wages are "up" at 5%----you in essence, are spending more. My boss recently sold our company---in doing so, he gave me a $3 per hour raise----roughly $4.000 per year. BUT, when the cost of living is exponentially up, im not making more---I am simply earning more. Which is basically just covering the high cost of living. NOW, if I got that raise when Inflation was around 2%? Absolutely I am making more.

I'll say this as nicely as possible---Idont expect someone who is ok with passing off their debts to someone else, to really understand this. People like me who make a mere $60-65 per year, feel the sting a tad more----Especially when we don't pass down our $100K debt to someone else.

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
But you are spending more. When inflation is 8%, and wages are "up" at 5%----you in essence, are spending more. My boss recently sold our company---in doing so, he gave me a $3 per hour raise----roughly $4.000 per year. BUT, when the cost of living is exponentially up, im not making more---I am simply earning more. Which is basically just covering the high cost of living. NOW, if I got that raise when Inflation was around 2%? Absolutely I am making more.

I'll say this as nicely as possible---Idont expect someone who is ok with passing off their debts to someone else, to really understand this. People like me who make a mere $60-65 per year, feel the sting a tad more----Especially when we don't pass down our $100K debt to someone else.
I didn't pass on a $100K student loan debt to anyone - I didn't come close to borrowing that much for 3 degrees. The government informed me that my obligations on my loan were considered fulfilled as of Aug 2019 after being in repayment for 34 years for my undergrad and 25 years for my most recent graduate loans. I was refunded payments I made after that date. I'm sure I had already paid off the principal plus a chunk of interest on my loans in that 25-34 period of time by the time they wrote off the remaining amount which was less than $14K.

I make more money than you and my raises/bonuses since 2021 have been much larger than 5%. But I didn't always make that kind of money and I've had to suffer through some lean years in the past.

I also don't see that we have 8% inflation either. Right now we are at 3%, although it has been higher in the past couple years, my raises and bonuses have been well above the rates of inflation.

You know, if it gets tough, you can just declare bankruptcy and get a fresh start. Worked for me 17 years ago. And for Orange Hitler more than once. Shrug.

I didn't pass on a $100K student loan debt to anyone - I didn't come close to borrowing that much for 3 degrees. The government informed me that my obligations on my loan were considered fulfilled as of Aug 2019 after being in repayment for 34 years for my undergrad and 25 years for my most recent graduate loans. I was refunded payments I made after that date. I'm sure I had already paid off the principal plus a chunk of interest on my loans in that 25-34 period of time by the time they wrote off the remaining amount which was less than $14K.

I make more money than you and my raises/bonuses since 2021 have been much larger than 5%. But I didn't always make that kind of money and I've had to suffer through some lean years in the past.

I also don't see that we have 8% inflation either. Right now we are at 3%, although it has been higher in the past couple years, my raises and bonuses have been well above the rates of inflation.

You know, if it gets tough, you can just declare bankruptcy and get a fresh start. Worked for me 17 years ago. And for Orange Hitler more than once. Shrug.
Inflation is down---so I stand corrected there. BUT, prices for food, gas, electric, etc....are not. Which has a direct impact on any type of raise we receive.

I did the bankruptcy----never again. A bill consolidation. Told it would do this, and that--improve credit. Never missed in a payment in 5 years. I am 3+ years removed, and nothing has changed. Credit score hovers around 620---which is awful. Never again. I'd been better off filing a Chapter 7.

My finances are getting better. But COVID, plus other issues, have made it tough. But this administration hasn't done mean any favors---Nor others like me. It shouldn't cost someone $400+ dollars in a weeks trip to get groceries and a full tank of gas.

Reactions: DANC
Inflation is down---so I stand corrected there. BUT, prices for food, gas, electric, etc....are not. Which has a direct impact on any type of raise we receive.

I did the bankruptcy----never again. A bill consolidation. Told it would do this, and that--improve credit. Never missed in a payment in 5 years. I am 3+ years removed, and nothing has changed. Credit score hovers around 620---which is awful. Never again. I'd been better off filing a Chapter 7.

My finances are getting better. But COVID, plus other issues, have made it tough. But this administration hasn't done mean any favors---Nor others like me. It shouldn't cost someone $400+ dollars in a weeks trip to get groceries and a full tank of gas.
Yeah, you would have been better off doing Chapter 7, I did and while it took a while to come out of it and I had to suffer through the crash of 2008 making shit $$$ I eventually came through the other side. I found a real niche at the place I work, I work hard, do good work and they don't want me to leave.

I'll never be able to buy a house, I piss away a lot of money on rent, but I'm lucky I have rent control where I live so at least it only goes up 2.5-3% a year and I had a 3 year period during COVID where it didn't go up at all so that was helpful too.

I personally don't think it's the current administrations fault that corporation greed has driven up prices, I blame corporate America for that more than anything and that's going to happen no matter who is in charge.

Anyway, I wish you well and hope your financial situation improves, hang in there! I was down to my last $100 and on food stamps for a couple months in late 2007 and I've completely turned it around but if the market tanks again and they get rid of SS and Medicare I'll probably never be able to retire. It's all a crap shoot some times.

That’s the thing about the passage of time. It makes you a better debater and gives you less time off the branch of the coconut tree, so you can be what you need to be unburdened by what has been and isn’t there something just great about a yellow school bus? They’re big, much like Russia is a big country and Ukraine is a small country. But the Venn diagram between a Big Country like Russia and a School bus, that is also big, has two circles with one of those circles in the middle.
“Pay the man, Shirley!” ~ Norman Chad

What are you talking about? Let’s elect someone who isn’t a criminal, isn’t a sexual abuser, isn’t dumb as a rock and unfit for office ( according to his staff) , isn’t corrupt. Shouldn’t be that hard.
You didn’t have any problem voting for Biden so just STFU.

• Love
Reactions: DANC and ulrey
she talked calmly, explained her vision and DID NOT call her opponent names.

Jesus Christ, is this the bar we've set now? Since when does a foul tip equate to a home run? I mean yeah, I suppose she didn't stumble through a staged debate and claim to beat Medicare, but being marginally better than that is a homerun?

Joe drops out with just over 3 months until the general election, endorses her, and Democrats are acting like she hit a triple when the reality is she was born on third base in this instance.

Reactions: DANC and snarlcakes
Jesus Christ, is this the bar we've set now? Since when does a foul tip equate to a home run? I mean yeah, I suppose she didn't stumble through a staged debate and claim to beat Medicare, but being marginally better than that is a homerun?

Joe drops out with just over 3 months until the general election, endorses her, and Democrats are acting like she hit a triple when the reality is she was born on third base in this instance.

OK. But what exactly would you expect Democrats to do? Talk her down? Openly wish they had a different candidate?

She's going to be the party's nominee. It's a formality at this point -- not only with the money raised, but also with the delegate pledges she's received. So obviously they're going to be promoting her as they would any other nominee. And the last thing they need is to fall back into a situation like they had with Biden, where things simmered below the surface for months until the debate opened up Pandora's Box and created all kinds of division.

Disunity has never served any political party well. If Kamala's candidacy fails, there will be plenty of time after the election for Dems to fight all this out. But, for now, they have an election they're trying to win.

Do you consider it making more, even though you are spending more?

Asking for a friend.

Wage increases have been higher than inflation since March of last year. I don't think your statement holds much weight.

Telling a friend.

Reactions: UncleMark
Are you really making more money, though? Getting a raise doesn't mean you MAKING more---just EARNING MORE. Theres a difference.

You are of rthe few whos 401K has increased...So congrats on that.

millions of tax payers say you are welcome for that $0 balance on your loans.---Actually they don't. My son didn't take that handout. Good kid
What investing world are you living in? Three of the last 4 years have been great. If you aren't seeing your balances increase significantly over the last two years seek professional help. If you are using an advisor, fire him.

I actually think she can win. So long as she doesn’t say anything particularly egregious and presents herself as more or less sane (and selects a running mate that doesn’t frighten uptight midwesterners), I’ll not be at all surprised to see her win. People are starved for an alternative to Trump. She’ll be a media darling from now to November.
She can win for one reason and one reason only.

People voting against trump

Certainly not because of her intellect or track record.

Kennedy is hurting her chances however.

What investing world are you living in? Three of the last 4 years have been great. If you aren't seeing your balances increase significantly over the last two years seek professional help. If you are using an advisor, fire him.
NYSE is up 24% over two years.

OK. But what exactly would you expect Democrats to do? Talk her down? Openly wish they had a different candidate?

She's going to be the party's nominee. It's a formality at this point -- not only with the money raised, but also with the delegate pledges she's received. So obviously they're going to be promoting her as they would any other nominee. And the last thing they need is to fall back into a situation like they had with Biden, where things simmered below the surface for months until the debate opened up Pandora's Box and created all kinds of division.

Disunity has never served any political party well. If Kamala's candidacy fails, there will be plenty of time after the election for Dems to fight all this out. But, for now, they have an election they're trying to win.
I think they could have had a more democratic process and I think in some ways the short turn around could have been an advantage to a new candidate. Harris is uniquely bad. We’ll see the “glow up” from the lefties on the board but we have 3 1/2 years of listening to her, her awful approval record, the awful campaign she ran, etc. Shapiro, cooper, Kelly etc could have slid in sounding so much more competent and assured and presented an immediate marked contrast to her AND trump that voters from both sides would embrace. For republicans I know we went from cognitive decline to stupid and annoying. A difference of no moment. Still stuck with trump.

As I said Dems missed an opportunity with this anointed pick who in many ways circumvented the entire process

I think they could have had a more Democratic process and I think in some ways the short turn around could have been an advantage to a new candidate. Harris is uniquely bad. We’ll see the “glow up” from the lefties on the board but we have 3 1/2 years of listening to her, her awful approval record, the awful campaign she ran, etc. Shapiro, cooper, Kelly etc could have slid in sounding so much more competent and assured and presented an immediate marked contrast to her AND trump that voters from both sides would embrace. For republicans I know we went from cognitive decline to stupid and annoying. A difference of no moment. Still stuck with trump.

As I said Dems missed an opportunity with this this anointed pick who in many ways circumvented the entire process
They were not bypassing a minority woman…no chance in hell

The amusing part is that Kamala and the Democrats covered up Biden’s disabling senility for at least 2 years, they rigged the primaries to eliminate competition,, joes accelerating disability blew the coverup, the Democrat big wigs go crazy, Joe abruptly resigns his rigged nomination with a Tweet, turmoil ensues, the Democrat big wigs and a few billionaires settle on Kamala, and then Kamala gives a speech claiming the GOP is the party of chaos. :D :D :D

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
The party defined by gender and race not merit and competence. She’ll be a disaster of a president.
It’s all that is important.

As an example…have you ever seen Zeke or Dbm outline policy preferences?

It’s not even tribal….it is social media dumbing down society

Reactions: mcmurtry66
yes a brilliant speaker

For a debate, she'll be much better than Biden. She's coachable, will put in the work I'd imagine, and will have lines memorized to shoot off at Trump (and that he will walk into). She'll "win" the debates according to all major outlets not associated with the right--how well she performs to drive out Dems I do not know.

I think her biggest concern will be what seemed to sink her in the 2020 Dem primary, where she was polling 7th in SCarolina with its large black voting population and California, her home state (those ranks come from a podcast I listened to so dont have the article to link. It might be off? Sounds shockingly low). First, she comes off as condescending, unlikeable, and phony. I don't think that can be changed. Second, she didn't know how to put together a national campaign and really didn't understand the policy issues she weighed in on (probably because she didn't assemble a very good staff to write that stuff up). That will be solved by relying on the already functioning Biden campaign.

For each election, I think the Presidential race is, in part, about sussing out what kind of President each candidate would be. Each can be a different kind--a micromanager, a figurehead, an ideas guy, a CEO, etc.--and focus on different areas while letting his or her team handle the rest (so they need a good hiring team, too). Harris won't be a micromanager and she will rely heavily on Biden's already experienced staff, I would think. That would make her a younger continuation of the Biden admin. with more oversight and input from her, with probably more focus on some progressive projects, which we'll find out about in the coming months.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
I think they could have had a more democratic process and I think in some ways the short turn around could have been an advantage to a new candidate. Harris is uniquely bad. We’ll see the “glow up” from the lefties on the board but we have 3 1/2 years of listening to her, her awful approval record, the awful campaign she ran, etc. Shapiro, cooper, Kelly etc could have slid in sounding so much more competent and assured and presented an immediate marked contrast to her AND trump that voters from both sides would embrace. For republicans I know we went from cognitive decline to stupid and annoying. A difference of no moment. Still stuck with trump.

As I said Dems missed an opportunity with this anointed pick who in many ways circumvented the entire process

I linked and excerpted this Jason Willick column in another thread. But I'll do so again here, because it seems appropriate in response to what you're saying.

The proposition that Kamala D. Harris is the Democratic candidate best suited to defeat Donald Trump is about as believable as the proposition that Joe Biden was mentally and physically equipped to serve as president until 2029.​
That is to say: Both are obvious fictions. Democrats coalesced around the fiction of Biden’s acuity during the primary season. Now that Biden has dropped out, they are adopting the fiction that “no one is better” (as California Gov. Gavin Newsom put it on Sunday) to take on Trump in Biden’s stead. Any prospect of a competitive nomination process is evaporating as Democratic politicians — even those previously mooted as possible Biden replacements should he step aside — stampede to Harris.​
Does anyone really believe Harris is the Democratic candidate most likely to block another Trump term? Unable to conceal Biden’s infirmity any longer, panicked Democratic leaders forced the president out of the 2024 race. They have a chance to put forward a strong candidate in a high-stakes election that is likely to be close. If they swiftly coronate Harris, Democrats would be elevating one of the weakest candidates available.​
Thing is: I honestly don't have much problem with the *manner* in which they've coalesced around Harris. Yeah, I get that it opens them up to (rather flimsy) charges of hypocrisy on the issue of "protecting democracy." But, to me, it's a minor thing. The circumstances are what they are. And it seems a foregone conclusion that doing anything to leapfrog Harris at this point would only be pouring fuel on a fire they urgently needed to extinguish.

But Willick hits on what is, to me, a much more important point: that Harris really isn't a great candidate, there are better ones available, but they're going to have to pretend once again that what is apparent to most objective people is, in fact, not even true at all.

Before it was that, despite what we all saw on TV for months (if not years), Biden wasn't having cognitive issues at all. It was merely a stutter. And now it's that Harris was the first and best choice -- not simply the most convenient one. It's like when a basketball program hires their 3rd or 4th choice for a new coach...and insists that he was the only one they ever even offered.

Of course, Harris could go on to win the election -- in which case it will be people like Willick wiping egg from their faces. But, if she doesn't, then the post-mortems on this cycle among Democrats are almost certainly going to involve a lot of finger-pointing over what's been happening the past several days.​

Not that I disagree with any of this but isn't ignoring the obvious while putting her out there as some kind of savior to democracy or their party not analogous to what they did with Biden? The reality is that she is the Forrest Gump of American Politics, falling into more opportunity than she ever merited...can we not wait and see if she earns that level of support before she is canonized Saint Kamala, Protector of Democracy and Kennedy Pax Deorum?

The
For a debate, she'll be much better than Biden. She's coachable, will put in the work I'd imagine, and will have lines memorized to shoot off at Trump (and that he will walk into). She'll "win" the debates according to all major outlets not associated with the right--how well she performs to drive out Dems I do not know.

I think her biggest concern will be what seemed to sink her in the 2020 Dem primary, where she was polling 7th in SCarolina with its large black voting population and California, her home state (those ranks come from a podcast I listened to so dont have the article to link. It might be off? Sounds shockingly low). First, she comes off as condescending, unlikeable, and phony. I don't think that can be changed. Second, she didn't know how to put together a national campaign and really didn't understand the policy issues she weighed in on (probably because she didn't assemble a very good staff to write that stuff up). That will be solved by relying on the already functioning Biden campaign.

For each election, I think the Presidential race is, in part, about sussing out what kind of President each candidate would be. Each can be a different kind--a micromanager, a figurehead, an ideas guy, a CEO, etc.--and focus on different areas while letting his or her team handle the rest (so they need a good hiring team, too). Harris won't be a micromanager and she will rely heavily on Biden's already experienced staff, I would think. That would make her a younger continuation of the Biden admin. with more oversight and input from her, with probably more focus on some progressive projects, which we'll find out about in the coming months.
I linked and excerpted this Jason Willick column in another thread. But I'll do so again here, because it seems appropriate in response to what you're saying.

The proposition that Kamala D. Harris is the Democratic candidate best suited to defeat Donald Trump is about as believable as the proposition that Joe Biden was mentally and physically equipped to serve as president until 2029.​
That is to say: Both are obvious fictions. Democrats coalesced around the fiction of Biden’s acuity during the primary season. Now that Biden has dropped out, they are adopting the fiction that “no one is better” (as California Gov. Gavin Newsom put it on Sunday) to take on Trump in Biden’s stead. Any prospect of a competitive nomination process is evaporating as Democratic politicians — even those previously mooted as possible Biden replacements should he step aside — stampede to Harris.​
Does anyone really believe Harris is the Democratic candidate most likely to block another Trump term? Unable to conceal Biden’s infirmity any longer, panicked Democratic leaders forced the president out of the 2024 race. They have a chance to put forward a strong candidate in a high-stakes election that is likely to be close. If they swiftly coronate Harris, Democrats would be elevating one of the weakest candidates available.​

Thing is: I honestly don't have much problem with the *manner* in which they've coalesced around Harris. Yeah, I get that it opens them up to (rather flimsy) charges of hypocrisy on the issue of "protecting democracy." But, to me, it's a minor thing. The circumstances are what they are. And it seems a foregone conclusion that doing anything to leapfrog Harris at this point would only be pouring fuel on a fire they urgently needed to extinguish.

But Willick hits on what is, to me, a much more important point: that Harris really isn't a great candidate, there are better ones available, but they're going to have to pretend once again that what is apparent to most objective people is, in fact, not even true at all.

Before it was that, despite what we all saw on TV for months (if not years), Biden wasn't having cognitive issues at all. It was merely a stutter. And now it's that Harris was the first and best choice -- not simply the most convenient one. It's like when a basketball program hires their 3rd or 4th choice for a new coach...and insists that he was the only one they ever even offered.

Of course, Harris could go on to win the election -- in which case it will be people like Willick wiping egg from their faces. But, if she doesn't, then the post-mortems on this cycle among Democrats are almost certainly going to involve a lot of finger-pointing over what's been happening the past several days.​
@BradStevens the big question is a continuation of what policies. The post house lost or the emboldened 2020 attack on energy, open border, cradle to grave benes etc.

Crazed great post and spot on

I really love this post. You’ve really hit it out of the park with your posts the last week. And listen I know you’re frustrated with your Reaction Score. It’s like you have 90 percent possession but can’t score. I get it. But don’t let that get you down. Keep posting like this and you will unlock some side features and that RS will skyrocket.

One last recommendation. Don’t be afraid to use insults. There are lots of east targets. It’s basically Reaction Score catnip

Not that I disagree with any of this but isn't ignoring the obvious while putting her out there as some kind of savior to democracy or their party not analogous to what they did with Biden? The reality is that she is the Forrest Gump of American Politics, falling into more opportunity than she ever merited...can we not wait and see if she earns that level of support before she is canonized Saint Kamala, Protector of Democracy and Kennedy Pax Deorum?

Well, it'll certainly look to history that way if she goes on to lose the election -- that they promoted a fiction with Harris just after finally having to blow up a fiction they'd been promoting with Biden.

But you have to keep in mind: all campaign promotion (in fact, all political messaging writ large) is, at some level, a contrived marketing ploy. Salesmanship.

Every airline ad I've ever seen shows beaches, waterfalls, exotic locales, people hugging and laughing with each other in unnatural ways on the streets of Vienna, frozen daiquiris alongside an infinity pool. The next one that shows people with knees crammed into the seat in front of them, eating a chintzy bag of pretzels sitting next to somebody from a culture that doesn't frown upon body odor, while spending an hour on the tarmac waiting for crews to address some unnamed mechanical repair will be the first.

So...yeah. Of course they're fluffing her up. Can you name the last presidential candidate who wasn't fluffed up by their party and its allies?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT