ADVERTISEMENT

God we suck

This is the Guardian trying to go easy on us, but it's probably the most depressing thing they've ever written.

We will be choosing between candidates well past their sell by date. The Republicans had a chance to nominate one from half a dozen promising to do what Trump would. The voters failed. In the Democratic Party, the party failed by having Maryanne Williamson be the only choice. Michigan showed a lot of Democrats were willing to jump ship.

This is the Guardian trying to go easy on us, but it's probably the most depressing thing they've ever written.

Just so we are clear:

I don think mixing up names is a big deal.
I don’t think stumbling on stairs is a big deal.
I don’t think tripping on unseen obstacles is a big deal.
I don’t think falling off a bike is a big deal.
I don’t think being 80 is a big deal.

I have done all the above in the last six months and I can still out think many who post here, that is obvious every day when many people like @UncleMark post about me instead of about a subject.

But I do think not being able to talk coherently about something without note cards is a very big deal, Biden has done that for years, Trump is doing that more often. Biden can’t even carry on a one on one conversation without scripted note cards. That tells me a very big part of his brain is gone and he has no business being president. As far as I can tell, Trump isn’t there yet.

Just so we are clear:

I don think mixing up names is a big deal.
I don’t think stumbling on stairs is a big deal.
I don’t think tripping on unseen obstacles is a big deal.
I don’t think falling off a bike is a big deal.
I don’t think being 80 is a big deal.

I have done all the above in the last six months and I can still out think many who post here, that is obvious every day when many people like @UncleMark post about me instead of about a subject.

But I do think not being able to talk coherently about something without note cards is a very big deal, Biden has done that for years, Trump is doing that more often. Biden can’t even carry on a one on one conversation without scripted note cards. That tells me a very big part of his brain is gone and he has no business being president. As far as I can tell, Trump isn’t there yet.
Agreed that Biden is significantly farther down the line but remember trump is already showing signs AND it’s still almost a year away from his first year. Not good.

Agreed that Biden is significantly farther down the line but remember trump is already showing signs AND it’s still almost a year away from his first year. Not good.
Trump hasn't spoken in complete sentences in years. One can search for Trump interviews with Larry King from long ago, he used to have a professional-sounding speech pattern. It is useless to debate who is worse, neither should be president.

Trump hasn't spoken in complete sentences in years. One can search for Trump interviews with Larry King from long ago, he used to have a professional-sounding speech pattern. It is useless to debate who is worse, neither should be president.
And I don’t think decline occurs at a uniform rate. I think once it starts it can go fast for some. Neither should be president

A slow, gradual decline can be masked or compensated for... until it can't.
Others can pick up your slack, but you can’t mask for your own decline. I agree though, drugs can provide a temporary mask. (Do you think Biden would agree to a drug test before the state of the union speech?).

One can individually compensate by avoiding certain physical activities, or avoiding extemporaneous or spontaneous interactions. Trump used to hold frequent spontaneous news conferences, we’ll see if that tapers off.

Reactions: DANC
It’s not at all useless to debate which is worse. I think all the talk about Trump’s decline is to distract from what a total mental disaster Biden is, and he didn’t have a lot to work with anyway. All the Trump talk reminds me of all the Ike infidelity talk the Democrats and press came up with to distract us from Clinton.

The sad part is, Britain is even more a has been than we are. And Canada? Lolz.

Let’s hope Australia is doing the right thing.

Rishi seems pretty impressive though I don't follow it at all. Though conservatives are now polling terrible in the UK.

Doesn't make it untrue
I think it does. While I have no data to back this, if you would poll all Trump voters, I’d be surprised if a third of them ever watched the apprentice and I would further be surprised if more than a few of that third would suggest that show is why they would vote for him.

Reactions: DANC
I think it does. While I have no data to back this, if you would poll all Trump voters, I’d be surprised if a third of them ever watched the apprentice and I would further be surprised if more than a few of that third would suggest that show is why they would vote for him.
And no one would ever tell you the reason they bought a Big Mac is because of advertising.

Rishi seems pretty impressive though I don't follow it at all. Though conservatives are now polling terrible in the UK.
JDB has a special hatred for Europe.

Sounds like the Tories are a huge mess, but Labour looks to be pivoting back toward more Blairesque policies. So we will see how that goes.

It made him like half a billion, put him on network TV for a decade and pulled his image out of total irrelevancy. But sure.

It is absolutely not useless to debate who is worse given the fact those will be our two choices. Joe’s decline is 10x worse than the Donald. Have you seen him walk lately? He’s definitely doing the dementia shuffle.

The scary thing about Trump is that he's so brazen and in your face about never making a mistake, he could shit himself in a press conference and start talking to his dead mother and would later post on social media about how he was just making a comment on the boring and unfair questions the media was asking him. And his cult will buy it.

We've already seen lesser versions of that, like when he tweeted 'covefefe' and he and his sycophants acted like it was an inside joke and that everyone on the inside knew what he meant and when he confused Obama initially and doubled down saying that what he was getting at is that it's Obama who is actually running things.

It is absolutely not useless to debate who is worse given the fact those will be our two choices. Joe’s decline is 10x worse than the Donald. Have you seen him walk lately? He’s definitely doing the dementia shuffle.
Evidently Marvin hasn't seen the interview Trump did with Hannity last week. Seemed like an informal chat and Trump spoke very well.

The Dems trying to equate Trump with Biden's obvious dementia is laughable.

The scary thing about Trump is that he's so brazen and in your face about never making a mistake, he could shit himself in a press conference and start talking to his dead mother and would later post on social media about how he was just making a comment on the boring and unfair questions the media was asking him. And his cult will buy it.

We've already seen lesser versions of that, like when he tweeted 'covefefe' and he and his sycophants acted like it was an inside joke and that everyone on the inside knew what he meant and when he confused Obama initially and doubled down saying that what he was getting at is that it's Obama who is actually running things.
i'll roll the dice on trump pardoning himself, sating his narcissism, playing golf, and getting very little done before empowering biden and the cult to revisit 2020-2021. we and cities will be paying for that year for many many years to come. #anyonebutbidenharris

While I agree that no one would actually suggest they'd vote for Trump because they liked him on The Apprentice, a lot of those answering this imaginary poll would be lying. And there is no way that only a third of his base has seen The Apprentice. If they didn't watch it live, a sizeable portion of them has probably gone back and rewatched it. My guess is that 90+% of the MAGA base loved that show. His 'You're Fired' catchphrase from the show is on lots of banners and tshirts at his rallies.

For what it's worth, I watched it. It was good TV. Trump was outlandish and over the top, but that was part of the appeal of the show. It was brain candy and essentially advertisements for his businesses, but it was entertainment.

It’s not at all useless to debate which is worse. I think all the talk about Trump’s decline is to distract from what a total mental disaster Biden is, and he didn’t have a lot to work with anyway. All the Trump talk reminds me of all the Ike infidelity talk the Democrats and press came up with to distract us from Clinton.
"Ike infidelity talk?" Hilarious.

Enjoy this (below) little distraction. Never gets old.

i'll roll the dice on trump pardoning himself, sating his narcissism, playing golf, and getting very little done before empowering biden and the cult to revisit 2020-2021. we and cities will be paying for that year for many many years to come. #anyonebutbidenharris
There is no way that's how a second Trump presidency plays out. For one, his ego is going to want something to brag about. Two, the Christian nationalists already have plans for his second term. We're already seeing the results of them casting their lot with Trump with all the rolled back rights and freedoms.

Reactions: muubell

Trump has been getting a pass on his cognitive decline, but I've watched a couple of his speeches recently and he's definitely having issues. He continually calls Haley Pelosi and he seems to think he's running against Obama. He's a lot like my mother-in-law was in her early stages of Alzheimer's. She would joke about her memory mistakes as if she meant to have them. She couldn't remember who I was on occasion, but she knew she should, so she'd cover it by joking, "Do I know you? You look really familiar. Do you know my daughter?" All with a smile as if she knew the answers, but was being funny. It was fairly effective for her for a while because this was sort of how she'd joke before she actually had Alzheimer's.

They should have just brought in cocaine like the Biden admin. Less of a paper trail…
We, as a society, love our prescription drugs. Especially when they are controlled substances and someone else is footing the bill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT