ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile in the MAL documents case...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
There's a lot of speculation that Judge Cannon is deliberately trying to delay her case in order to help Trump. She has delayed setting a fixed court date, which wold necessitate implementing basic procedures that need to be completed prior to the actual trial.

The speculation is that she knows the temporary May date that she is loosely holding on to will undoubtedly need to be moved, But she's going to delay moving her date as long as possible to keep the space "filled".Basically many people feel that she is purposely holding on to May as a target date in order to prevent any other trial court being able to successfully fill the vacated May slot.

She has also so far been able to refrain from issuing written orders where she will violate a CIPA rule and allow Jack Smith to go to the 11th Circuit and move for her dismissal.Eventually she'll have to shit or get off the pot and Smith will pounce. But for now he is biding his time and waiting for her to screw up...

Part of it is that she has no idea what she is doing, and has never handled a CIPA case before. As a result she is in her eagerness to accomodate team Trump, basically violating provisions of CIPA procedure. As yet she hasn't committed anything to an official written order that is directly challengeable.

For example, the law does not allow for anyone but the Govt and Judge to be privy to the meeting where it is determined which documents can safely be presented at trial and which ones are too sensitive to even be allowed in Court. After Trump's attorneys filed to be allowed to attend ,rather than summarily denying the motion,as the law prescribes she created a "briefing meeting" where the idea could be "considered".

It's just another delay tactic and not even allowed under CIPA, but it's a way for her to continue to delay the ongoing process informally, without issuing an actual written order which is subject to review/discipline. Remember she tried this kind of move early on, and the same very Conservative 11th Circuit that Smith would go to now already smacked her down.

Unlike Cannon (and apparently Trump's legal team) Smith has a very thorough understanding of CIPA law, so she has to tread very carefully. He takes this shit very personally, and I'd say he is going to force her to get with the program, conduct the case the way the law prescribes, or he is going to get rid of her.

He has laid a number of rhetorical traps which again she has been able to avoid by not making any official moves that would get her in trouble. But he's going to continue to push and force her to either settle into a schedule in line with a May trial date, or admit that isn't possible and free up May for another trial. Possibly the DC case...

Now I probably haven't done a good job of explaining all that, but it sort of sets the stage for Smith's latest filing in the case. On Fri he filed a response (which I'm told is unusal) to counteract some of Trump's lies about the nature of the case. Maybe he is trying to impress upon Cannon the gravity of the charges involved, and counter Trump's claims that he's the victim of a political witchunt. Here is the Politico article discussing Smith's Fri filing...

Now if any of this interests you and you're like me in feeling like you benefit from video presentations more than just reading about something yourself , Glenn Kirschner provides a useful breakdown. Full disclosure Glenn who is a former US Attny is an unabshed liberal and works for MSNBC.

He's not someone I watch a lot of videos from, his tag line is hokey, and sometimes he strikes me as a little pompous. And in most cases he is just adding to stories I already know about.

But one part of this story really grabbed my attention, and I thought others might find it interesting as well. Esp when one of the defenses for Trump's actions is people claiming that MAL was a "secure fortress"...

This excerpt from the Politico article appears to underscore Smith's attempt in the filing to wake Cannon up to the gravity of the situation...

"The brief is also peppered with factual claims that make Trump’s behavior sound more serious and egregious. When discussing the defense’s request for more information from the Secret Service, prosecutors assert that their interaction with the federal agency that guards the president and his family underscored Trump’s recklessness in keeping a large volume of classified information at his Florida home, which also serves as a social club and a site for political and social events with lengthy guest lists.

The Secret Service reported that “of the approximately 48,000 guests who visited Mar-a-Lago between January 2021 and May 2022, while classified documents were at the property, only 2,200 had their names checked and only 2,900 passed through magnetometers."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DANC
There's a lot of speculation that Judge Cannon is deliberately trying to delay her case in order to help Trump. She has delayed setting a fixed court date, which wold necessitate implementing basic procedures that need to be completed prior to the actual trial.

The speculation is that she knows the temporary May date that she is loosely holding on to will undoubtedly need to be moved, But she's going to delay moving her date as long as possible to keep the space "filled".Basically many people feel that she is purposely holding on to May as a target date in order to prevent any other trial court being able to successfully fill the vacated May slot.

She has also so far been able to refrain from issuing written orders where she will violate a CIPA rule and allow Jack Smith to go to the 11th Circuit and move for her dismissal.Eventually she'll have to shit or get off the pot and Smith will pounce. But for now he is biding his time and waiting for her to screw up...

Part of it is that she has no idea what she is doing, and has never handled a CIPA case before. As a result she is in her eagerness to accomodate team Trump, basically violating provisions of CIPA procedure. As yet she hasn't committed anything to an official written order that is directly challengeable.

For example, the law does not allow for anyone but the Govt and Judge to be privy to the meeting where it is determined which documents can safely be presented at trial and which ones are too sensitive to even be allowed in Court. After Trump's attorneys filed to be allowed to attend ,rather than summarily denying the motion,as the law prescribes she created a "briefing meeting" where the idea could be "considered".

It's just another delay tactic and not even allowed under CIPA, but it's a way for her to continue to delay the ongoing process informally, without issuing an actual written order which is subject to review/discipline. Remember she tried this kind of move early on, and the same very Conservative 11th Circuit that Smith would go to now already smacked her down.

Unlike Cannon (and apparently Trump's legal team) Smith has a very thorough understanding of CIPA law, so she has to tread very carefully. He takes this shit very personally, and I'd say he is going to force her to get with the program, conduct the case the way the law prescribes, or he is going to get rid of her.

He has laid a number of rhetorical traps which again she has been able to avoid by not making any official moves that would get her in trouble. But he's going to continue to push and force her to either settle into a schedule in line with a May trial date, or admit that isn't possible and free up May for another trial. Possibly the DC case...

Now I probably haven't done a good job of explaining all that, but it sort of sets the stage for Smith's latest filing in the case. On Fri he filed a response (which I'm told is unusal) to counteract some of Trump's lies about the nature of the case. Maybe he is trying to impress upon Cannon the gravity of the charges involved, and counter Trump's claims that he's the victim of a political witchunt. Here is the Politico article discussing Smith's Fri filing...

Now if any of this interests you and you're like me in feeling like you benefit from video presentations more than just reading about something yourself , Glenn Kirschner provides a useful breakdown. Full disclosure Glenn who is a former US Attny is an unabshed liberal and works for MSNBC.

He's not someone I watch a lot of videos from, his tag line is hokey, and sometimes he strikes me as a little pompous. And in most cases he is just adding to stories I already know about.

But one part of this story really grabbed my attention, and I thought others might find it interesting as well. Esp when one of the defenses for Trump's actions is people claiming that MAL was a "secure fortress"...

This excerpt from the Politico article appears to underscore Smith's attempt in the filing to wake Cannon up to the gravity of the situation...

"The brief is also peppered with factual claims that make Trump’s behavior sound more serious and egregious. When discussing the defense’s request for more information from the Secret Service, prosecutors assert that their interaction with the federal agency that guards the president and his family underscored Trump’s recklessness in keeping a large volume of classified information at his Florida home, which also serves as a social club and a site for political and social events with lengthy guest lists.

The Secret Service reported that “of the approximately 48,000 guests who visited Mar-a-Lago between January 2021 and May 2022, while classified documents were at the property, only 2,200 had their names checked and only 2,900 passed through magnetometers."

A very interesting discussion with Harry Litman who as a former US Attny and Deputy Assistant AG had as part of his job description the task of vetting (prospective) Federal Judges. This is a more complete laying out of the case for the incompetency,if not outright corruption of Judge (I've tried 4 cases) Cannon.

Interesting speculation about what she stands to gain from a Trump presidency and her own resultant rise as a hero among MAGA ranks. Undoubtedly a grateful Trump would elevate her to at least the 11th Circuit, if not eventually a SCOTUS nomination. So the stakes are high...

I'm not even going to be around to suffer the consequences and I'm still irked by the notion that Trump could reward this incompetent, if not corrupt judge he only nominated to the bench in the waning days of his Presidency. As a layman, I'm curious as to how you could reliably determine a judge was qualified to be appointed a Federal Judge on the basis of 4 trial court cases amounting to about 14 weeks of actual time presiding as a judge. People have ragged on Wade's "inexperience" prior to being appointed a special prosecutor, but imho Cannon makes Wade look like Perry Mason...

Here's an example demonstrating the contrast between Cannon's inexperience/complicity and the by the law reaction by an experienced,competent Judge like Chutkan. Trump's lawyers made the same request to have access to the CIPA section 4 hearing of both Cannon and Chutkan. Chutkan denied the request summarily, while Cannon said she needed to schedule a meeting to discuss the request, which means more delays before she has to eventually comply with the law and deny Trump's request.

But the key difference between the two is that Chutkan followed the law without scheduling meritless meetings designed to delay the proceedings. Chutkan's response was forthright and reasoned and highlighted the absurdity of Trump's request...

She told Trump's team if they could show her a single example of any authority or any court anywhere allowing that type of access to be granted that she would look at it and consider their motion. But unless they could provide an example of a possible exception to what CIPA says, she was just going to go with what the law says and what every other court has done regarding that issue. Simple,neat and to the point- Trump is not special...

People have ragged on Wade's "inexperience" prior to being appointed a special prosecutor, but imho Cannon makes Wade look like Perry Mason...
man you have got to get off these crazy websites
cannon went to duke undergrad and michigan law where she was on journal. she was a us appel ct clerk, an associate at gibson dunn, and then spent almost a decade as an AUSA. she's perfectly experienced and speaks spanish which is key down there.

A very interesting discussion with Harry Litman who as a former US Attny and Deputy Assistant AG had as part of his job description the task of vetting (prospective) Federal Judges. This is a more complete laying out of the case for the incompetency,if not outright corruption of Judge (I've tried 4 cases) Cannon.

Interesting speculation about what she stands to gain from a Trump presidency and her own resultant rise as a hero among MAGA ranks. Undoubtedly a grateful Trump would elevate her to at least the 11th Circuit, if not eventually a SCOTUS nomination. So the stakes are high...

I'm not even going to be around to suffer the consequences and I'm still irked by the notion that Trump could reward this incompetent, if not corrupt judge he only nominated to the bench in the waning days of his Presidency. As a layman, I'm curious as to how you could reliably determine a judge was qualified to be appointed a Federal Judge on the basis of 4 trial court cases amounting to about 14 weeks of actual time presiding as a judge. People have ragged on Wade's "inexperience" prior to being appointed a special prosecutor, but imho Cannon makes Wade look like Perry Mason...

Here's an example demonstrating the contrast between Cannon's inexperience/complicity and the by the law reaction by an experienced,competent Judge like Chutkan. Trump's lawyers made the same request to have access to the CIPA section 4 hearing of both Cannon and Chutkan. Chutkan denied the request summarily, while Cannon said she needed to schedule a meeting to discuss the request, which means more delays before she has to eventually comply with the law and deny Trump's request.

But the key difference between the two is that Chutkan followed the law without scheduling meritless meetings designed to delay the proceedings. Chutkan's response was forthright and reasoned and highlighted the absurdity of Trump's request...

She told Trump's team if they could show her a single example of any authority or any court anywhere allowing that type of access to be granted that she would look at it and consider their motion. But unless they could provide an example of a possible exception to what CIPA says, she was just going to go with what the law says and what every other court has done regarding that issue. Simple,neat and to the point- Trump is not special...

She and Trump are apparently on the same page in trying to run out the clock here. And in Cannon's case it may not be driven (or at least not exclusively driven) by loyalty to Trump. She quite possibly could be scared shitless to preside over the trial of such a high profile case. She may be thinking she'll never have to deal with a trial if scheduling is pushed back until after November, Trump wins and then directs Justice to drop the case.

At first blush, and with respect to experience, there are some similarities between Cannon and Scott McAfee, the 35 year-old judge who has been assigned the Trump RICO case in Georgia. Unlike Cannon, though, McAfee, has extensive experience trying cases, including major crimes, as a prosecutor. It appears that the bulk of Cannon's litigation experience has been in the appellate section of the US Attorney's office in south FL.

As you said, she's presided over a very small number of cases in her short time as a judge. In one of them, she forgot to swear in the jury. What a mess.

She and Trump are apparently on the same page in trying to run out the clock here. And in Cannon's case it may not be driven (or at least not exclusively driven) by loyalty to Trump. She quite possibly could be scared shitless to preside over the trial of such a high profile case. She may be thinking she'll never have to deal with a trial if scheduling is pushed back until after November, Trump wins and then directs Justice to drop the case.

At first blush, and with respect to experience, there are some similarities between Cannon and Scott McAfee, the 35 year-old judge who has been assigned the Trump RICO case in Georgia. Unlike Cannon, though, McAfee, has extensive experience trying cases, including major crimes, as a prosecutor. It appears that the bulk of Cannon's litigation experience has been in the appellate section of the US Attorney's office in south FL.

As you said, she's presided over a very small number of cases in her short time as a judge. In one of them, she forgot to swear in the jury. What a mess.
i would disagree. she started out in the crimes division as a prosecutor then later moved to the app court working on sentencing and convictions. i'd say that's a perfect combination. as for running out the clock i don't disagree.

you know how many judges have zero trial experience. shit i know a chief judge who tried less than 5 cases entire career when put on the bench. i'd also say the GA while crazy young at least has a bunch of crim experience in the prosecutor's office. better than most who end up on the bench

Last edited:

It looks like Smith has said enough of this...

So Smith provided more than required to Trump for discovery, including potential govt witnesses,FBI code names etc...

For some reason (dws) Trump feels the need for all of that info to be made public. He made a filing and kept the info redacted as prescribed by law, but subsequentlyhe filed a request to remove the redactions from "his filing".

In effect he asked her to allow him to make public the names etc that he obtained thru discovery. And inexplicably she agreed...

Why in the world would Trump want that info to be made public? Surely not so his wierd MAGA cultists could spread the info all over the internet and at the very least intimidate the potential witnesses? Trumpo would never engage in that type of behavior and diabolical scheming, just like he'd never rape a woman in a dept store. Right?

Anyway it looks like Smith is giving Cannon a chance to reconsider and stay her previous ruling, before he appeals to the 11th Circuit. Another example of her ****ing up and making a ruling that makes absolutely no sense, except to Trump's fevered brain. Many legal experts feel that Smith has already been too indulgent in not going back to the 11th Circuit sooner, but others feel that he has basically given her enough rope to hang herself and patiently bided his time.

At this point, Smith is probably not too concerned with her delaying tactics and pushing the trial back. That just frees up May and the next 2 or 3 months to allow Chutkan to slide her case in and hopefully reach a conclusion prior to the election. But he's definitely concerned when her incompetence turns dangerous and (inadvertently or not) she makes rulings which threaten to pollute the jury pool, or open witnesses to mob like intimidation...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT