ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation . . .

@MyTeamIsOnTheFloor hasn't posted about gas prices recently. I guess the drop in energy prices doesn't fit the narrative.

Or that it's pretty darned clear that the Fed eff'ed up big time being asleep at the switch in 2019/20/21 . . . .
The thread got buried by knee-deep bull-shit

Last fill up was $3.99, less .10 for shopping at Kroger

No narrative. Just fact.

It's down to 4%, so the Fed's interest rate increase policy seems to have worked.

I'm surprised this news hasn't been reported on this board, given the interest the topic garnered before.
What’s interesting is how affordable consumer goods are. You can get a big tv, electronics etc for peanuts. Cars and houses forget it.

Reactions: DANC
What’s interesting is how affordable consumer goods are. You can get a big tv, electronics etc for peanuts. Cars and houses forget it.
Saw a 70" 4K TV at Target the other day for under $500.

We have severely under built houses since 2008. Look at housing starts pre 2008 compared to post. I don't know what the fed can do to offset the housing industry was scared to death for 15 years.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Where's "here".

What's "recently"?

Gas prices have stabilized and energy costs are trending down . . . .

See post #16. Driving my kid to Dubuque, Iowa for a camp a couple of weeks ago through northwest Illinois, I saw $5 a gallon. I filled up at $4.98 at one spot.

• Wow
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Biden set out to be transformative and an argument can be made that he and his rhetoric and progressives have made everything worse for the poor and minorities. Life is way more expensive. groceries gas cars. the attack on cops contributed to higher violent crime. the woke stuff gave rise to backlash across the board that can hardly be deemed coincidental from the s ct. id say biden has been a total disaster for his own constituents

Where's "here".

What's "recently"?

Gas prices have stabilized and energy costs are trending down . . . .

If you look at your link and the 5 year chart, you'll see current prices on avg in US are still above the 5 year average and 10 year average from here:

It's down from the peak last year, but still high in comparison to recent and long-term history.

Unlike most, I don't generally blame Presidents for this trend. I think bigger economic factors are probably driving most of that. Although administrations in particular states and their taxes surely explain the differences in prices between Georgia and Illinois, for example.

I don't know about energy costs in general. Hope that trend continues.

If you look at your link and the 5 year chart, you'll see current prices on avg in US are still above the 5 year average and 10 year average from here:

It's down from the peak last year, but still high in comparison to recent and long-term history.

Unlike most, I don't generally blame Presidents for this trend. I think bigger economic factors are probably driving most of that. Although administrations in particular states and their taxes surely explain the differences in prices between Georgia and Illinois, for example.

I don't know about energy costs in general. Hope that trend continues.
Yep. Considering inflation (round and round we go), gasoline prices are probably not even that in real terms.

Your point about Presidents and larger economic forces is well-taken. That said, I do think that programs like the Covid relief and PPP - and to an extent even borrowing $$ for tax cuts to goose the economy - could be infationary. We'd have to look at the data to see what the effect is . . . .

ioqtnUZj5TK8mCcymaO35JDBzktLBL4kB5PuOpgBj78.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT