ADVERTISEMENT

US economy adds 353,000 jobs in January

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
  • The increase in jobs last month easily beat the market estimate and underscores the remarkable strength of the US labor market.
  • The unemployment rate stayed at 3.7%, near the lowest level since the 1960s.
  • Hourly wages rose a sharp .6% in January, the biggest increase in almost two years.
  • The strong labor market has insulated the U.S. from a recession, and if the Fed cuts interest rates this year as expected, the economy could improve enough to stoke more hiring.
  • Inflation is now down to 3% year over year, moving closer to the Fed's goal of 2%.
  • There are almost 5 million more jobs than in Feb 2020 - - just before the pandemic.
  • "The United States has really outperformed relative to other countries for the past year." -Innes McFee, Chief Global Economist for Oxford Economics. The US economy has powered ahead of China, the EU, the UK, Canada and other advanced economies.
Great to see the economy humming in what is still the greatest country on earth.

• The increase in jobs last month easily beat the market estimate and underscores the remarkable strength of the US labor market.
  • Hourly wages rose a sharp .6% in January, the biggest increase in almost two years.
  • The strong labor market has insulated the U.S. from a recession, and if the Fed cuts interest rates this year as expected, the economy could improve enough to stoke more hiring.
  • Inflation is now down to 3% year over year, moving closer to the Fed's goal of 2%.
  • There are almost 5 million more jobs than in Feb 2020 - - just before the pandemic.
  • "The United States has really outperformed relative to other countries for the past year." -Innes McFee, Chief Global Economist for Oxford Economics. The US economy has powered ahead of China, the EU, the UK, Canada and other advanced economies.
Great to see the economy humming in what is still the greatest country on earth.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Those liberals on Fox Business were pushing all this stuff on TV much of the day. It was a real love fest.

McMurtry must watch NewsMax business channel. They're attacking FDR for the New Deal.

Fox Business
Kudlow last week: "I’m an honest broker. He got a good 3.3 percent [gross domestic product] number for the fourth quarter, following a good 4.9 percent in the third quarter, OK. If I were he, I would be bragging about it, too. And inflation has come down."

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Those liberals on Fox Business were pushing all this stuff on TV much of the day. It was a real love fest.

McMurtry must watch NewsMax business channel. They're attacking FDR for the New Deal.

The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal
Follow

Biden’s 2024 Problem: Voters Say His Policies Hurt Them​

ha or msn or the wall street journal or common sense. economy talk is silliness. biden has big problems. people hear the amorphous word economy and know it doesn't mean shit. they deal in the daily prices of their lives, working multiple jobs to afford the basics. inflation settling down just means we are stuck with the expensive prices that biden contributed to. now even young people are switching away from biden. only a fool would support biden. as i've said he had the lowest approval rating in modern history. the farther we get away from him and his policies the better. and believe me i understand not liking trump. we're in a pickle. but biden from his contribution to prices we're stuck with today to nonsense at the border has to go. why the dems can't fix their party and swap him out citing age i don't understand. a sane moderate dem would destroy trump

young voters switching and i was at the urban league a few weeks ago and they were talking about the percentage of blacks who can afford a home since biden took office got cut in half. Under 7%. young people, minorities, the american dream is shot for too many. Great job Joe!

i will add blm should have tied it's horse to the urban league. i'm a long time united way and hte urban league in this region has taken over. they are absolutely killing it and are now the premier leader in the nonprofit community for the region

Last edited:
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Also on Fox: I was wrong about the slowdown and the recession. Everyone was wrong. No one is saying the economy is perfect, but it’s a lot better than most everyone was predicting.

Do we have data on which sectors those jobs were added in? Federal and state government jobs have been the catalyst for much of the job growth during this admin. to my understanding. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Also on Fox: I was wrong about the slowdown and the recession. Everyone was wrong. No one is saying the economy is perfect, but it’s a lot better than most everyone was predicting.
just remember biden in year one and his transformative talk and how far away we are from that today. in spite of biden not because of biden. the farther we get away from biden the better things will continue to get. manchin was right from day one.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Do we have data on which sectors those jobs were added in? Federal and state government jobs have been the catalyst for much of the job growth during this admin. to my understanding. Robbing Petter to pay Paul.
yeah tech is really suffering and growth seems to be industry specific etc. but 80 year old clueless biden and his far far left circle. come on you really think he did anything. it's him not doing anything that's helping. wait til the commercial defaults start coming through. getting away from remote work and forcing people back may help. the pain covid caused is still rippling

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal
Follow

ha or msn or the wall street journal or common sense. economy talk is silliness. biden has big problems. people hear the amorphous word economy and know it doesn't mean shit. they deal in the daily prices of their lives, working multiple jobs to afford the basics. inflation settling down just means we are stuck with the expensive prices that biden contributed to. now even young people are switching away from biden. only a fool would support biden. as i've said he had the lowest approval rating in modern history. the farther we get away from him and his policies the better. and believe me i understand not liking trump. we're in a pickle. but biden from his contribution to prices we're stuck with today to nonsense at the border has to go. why the dems can't fix their party and swap him out citing age i don't understand. a sane moderate dem would destroy trump

young voters switching and i was at the urban league a few weeks ago and they were talking about the percentage of blacks who can afford a home since biden took office got cut in half. Under 7%. young people, minorities, the american dream is shot for too many. Great job Joe!

The reports say that since March raises have outstripped inflation. If, IF, that keeps up through November?

We all sound like my grandparents when I was old, "we used to buy a coke for a nickle" when it was a quarter.

Now, I don't think we are going to see smooth sailing through November. We are about to changeover to higher priced summer gasoline and there is a war in the volatile oil region of the world. That chance of nothing going wrong seems very low.

The reports say that since March raises have outstripped inflation. If, IF, that keeps up through November?

We all sound like my grandparents when I was old, "we used to buy a coke for a nickle" when it was a quarter.

Now, I don't think we are going to see smooth sailing through November. We are about to changeover to higher priced summer gasoline and there is a war in the volatile oil region of the world. That chance of nothing going wrong seems very low.
last i read they "hope" wages catch up by the end of 24. and that's well and good but lots of people on fixed incomes lots of self-employed one man llcs etc. rates continuing to dip and home inventory improving would help peoples' outlook as well. half a million dollars for a starter home in a midwest city in a neighborhood that's decent is frightening.

at this point biden is locked and things are improving. giving him credit would be like giving the third string qb for the chiefs credit on the super bowl. or the scientist who leaked covid by accident credit for someone else creating a vaccine

Reactions: jet812
last i read they "hope" wages catch up by the end of 24. and that's well and good but lots of people on fixed incomes lots of self-employed one man llcs etc. rates continuing to dip and home inventory improving would help peoples' outlook as well. half a million dollars for a starter home in a midwest city in a neighborhood that's decent is frightening.

at this point biden is locked and things are improving. giving him credit would be like giving the third string qb for the chiefs credit on the super bowl. or the scientist who leaked covid by accident credit for someone else creating a vaccine

Not touting Biden, but look at China, look at Germany, look at the UK, Russia. Heck, Iran has 40% inflation :). Japan "likely returned to growth in the 4th quarter". We are beating, sometimes crushing almost every g20 country. I haven't looked to all of them, so someone might be doing better.

The president gets too much blame, and too much credit, on the economy. I am not saying Biden is doing miracles. I am saying the US is.

Not touting Biden, but look at China, look at Germany, look at the UK, Russia. Heck, Iran has 40% inflation :). Japan "likely returned to growth in the 4th quarter". We are beating, sometimes crushing almost every g20 country. I haven't looked to all of them, so someone might be doing better.

The president gets too much blame, and too much credit, on the economy. I am not saying Biden is doing miracles. I am saying the US is.
there will never be a time i care about nor am moved by what's happening in other countries. we'er here with our own unique population, political system, and incredible advantages. people are drowning in debt. highest credit card debt on record. as we have an election approaching people need to ask what was in the wall street journal title. has biden made our lives better or harder. and the answer is unequivocally the latter for people answering truthfully. dem policies hurt this country. far left dem policies i should say. from crime to the economy to hte border. the election must be a referendum on the far left and they all need to go. biden, harris, etc.

• Haha
there will never be a time i care about nor am moved by what's happening in other countries. we'er here with our own unique population, political system, and incredible advantages. people are drowning in debt. highest credit card debt on record. as we have an election approaching people need to ask what was in the wall street journal title. has biden made our lives better or harder. and the answer is unequivocally the latter for people answering truthfully. dem policies hurt this country. far left dem policies i should say. from crime to the economy to hte border. the election must be a referendum on the far left and they all need to go. biden, harris, etc.

The world's economies are tied together. "I never care how other people drive on the road" works until, on a crowded interstate, 3 of them crash into each other blocking all the lanes in front of you. I believe we estimate 6% of all jobs are tied directly to exports.

Look at the Great Depression, the Great Recession, the world is tied together.

We prioritized growth to stay out of a recession. If Biden had done nothing and we were in a Germany/Japan recession you would be upset. We had a very narrow target to shoot for.

The world's economies are tied together. "I never care how other people drive on the road" works until, on a crowded interstate, 3 of them crash into each other blocking all the lanes in front of you. I believe we estimate 6% of all jobs are tied directly to exports.

Look at the Great Depression, the Great Recession, the world is tied together.

We prioritized growth to stay out of a recession. If Biden had done nothing and we were in a Germany/Japan recession you would be upset. We had a very narrow target to shoot for.
no. our increase in all things had zero to do with the world's economies. the far left took over and promised to be transformative creating the largest safety net in history. the stimulus and endless stays contributed significantly to where we are today. that was far left progressive policy under the guise of covid etc. i can only imagine where we'd be without manchin

it was just a cash cow give away pandering to the far left. what's more our draconian covid response wiht unneccessarily prolonged shutdowns and remote work contributed significantly as well. and make no mistake that too was policy

we needed someone who was competent and measured. it wasn't time to try and be transformative given the conditions. but that's biden. he's demonstrated over and over again that he has no idea what he's doing. or as manchin said perhaps it's just hte far far left people he has surrounded himself with who are calling the shots

Last edited:
  • Haha
Until crab legs come down and McMansions go for 180K, nothing will happen good that Biden can take credit for. Even then, it will probably be in spite of him.

Do I have this right?

Until crab legs come down and McMansions go for 180K, nothing will happen good that Biden can take credit for. Even then, it will probably be in spite of him.

Do I have this right?
Biden can admit the far left policies had a deleterious impact on, well, everything, and promise to move to the middle, not try to be transformative, and get gov out of the way so people and businesses can thrive

We are an incredible country of entrepreneurs that operate with gov making things way more difficult from housing construction to selling weed

Do I have this right?
and trust me it's not mcmansions. $650k for a 1,700 sq ft old ass house in a decent neighborhood where your chance of being carjacked is less. biden F'd the younger generation and poor people. perpetual renters

• Haha
and trust me it's not mcmansions. $650k for a 1,700 sq ft old ass house in a decent neighborhood where your chance of being carjacked is less. biden F'd the younger generation and poor people. perpetual renters

You should move

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
Report I read weekly, has stated for weeks that jobs are just now coming back to where they were prior to "Covid". It is great, most are service industry jobs, but they count. There are rumblings that Anheuser Busch may strike later this month for better pay and better retirement benefits. I doubt it happens, they can't afford to take another hit like the Bud Light fiasco they are just now rebounding from. UPS did announce a 12k layoff, I think it is global but those are the types of job you hate to see go away. Typically higher paying and usually more stable.

Also regarding a previous post, it is absolute fact that CC debt is at an all time high. I speak with our financial underwriting team weekly and the biggest inhibitor of people seeking future financing is the credit card debt they have incurred the past two years. Soaring prices and wage increases not keeping up have put many in a bind.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

The Wall Street Journal
The Wall Street Journal
Follow

i will add blm should have tied it's horse to the urban league. i'm a long time united way and hte urban league in this region has taken over. they are absolutely killing it and are now the premier leader in the nonprofit community for the region
Perception is reality. Whether is true or not.

Jerome Powell for President!

2 All the naysayers,Biden is doing a great job.

Surely it can't be people refusing to live within their means. Gotta be someone else's fault.
surely you cannot be this daft. if you get a marginal increase in pay and your entire world goes up in cost because of policy in part how is that the fault of a person?

you make $40k a year and now your same life cost $50k a year that's not your fault. gov needs to just get the hell out of hte way. the biggest threat to america is re-electing biden. if he is truly controlled by the far left as manchin states and as policy has evidenced what would stop him from going back to the endless giveaways.

you want to blame people. "the people" didn't do anything. your idiot gov did

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
surely you cannot be this daft. if you get a marginal increase in pay and your entire world goes up in cost because of policy in part how is that the fault of a person?

you make $40k a year and now your same life cost $50k a year that's not your fault. gov needs to just get the hell out of hte way. the biggest threat to america is re-electing biden. if he is truly controlled by the far left as manchin states and as policy has evidenced what would stop him from going back to the endless giveaways.

you want to blame people. "the people" didn't do anything. your idiot gov did
no blame rapish trump

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT