ADVERTISEMENT

US economy adds 353,000 jobs in January

It's irrefutable that the economy is booming.

I quoted Kudlow the other day and here's something new from him: "I know many of my conservative friends are trying to drill holes in this [jobs] report, but you know what folks? It is what it is. It's a very strong report. Not every economic stat should be viewed through a political lens."

Some other compelling facts:
  • The US GDP expanded by 2.5% in 2023, more than any other advanced economy in the world (per an IMF analysis released last week).
  • The stock market has been on a steady rise for months, passing the 38,000 mark (Dow) for the first time ever. Trump, who in 2020 predicted a market collapse if Biden was elected, now claims credit for the hot market. Logic be damned!
  • Consumer sentiment climbed 29% over the past two months, the largest two-month increase in over 30 years.
  • The inflation rate has dropped dramatically, nearing the Fed's goal of 2%.
  • The US has had 24 consecutive months of an unemployment rate below 4%, the longest such streak since the 1960s.
  • The US has added 14.8 million jobs since January 2021, with a gain of 5.4 million jobs since just prior to the pandemic.
  • The bipartisan infrastructure law and the IRA collectively have accounted for hundreds of thousands of new jobs. The IRA alone is projected to create 1.5 million more jobs over the next decade.
Looking good!

Some of these are upticks compared to significant lows (e.g., consumer sentiment). I enjoy your enthusiasm... we could have used it a year ago when things were starting to look bleak as SVB began to shake ahead of its collapse

Some of these are upticks compared to significant lows (e.g., consumer sentiment). I enjoy your enthusiasm... we could have used it a year ago when things were starting to look bleak as SVB began to shake ahead of its collapse
Trends, friend. Things are trending in the right direction. There's a boatload of good data and stats to support that viewpoint. As Kudlow suggested, though, many want to pour cold water on good news pertaining to the economy because it doesn't comport with their preferred political narrative.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
It's irrefutable that the economy is booming.

I quoted Kudlow the other day and here's something new from him: "I know many of my conservative friends are trying to drill holes in this [jobs] report, but you know what folks? It is what it is. It's a very strong report. Not every economic stat should be viewed through a political lens."

Some other compelling facts:
  • The US GDP expanded by 2.5% in 2023, more than any other advanced economy in the world (per an IMF analysis released last week).
  • The stock market has been on a steady rise for months, passing the 38,000 mark (Dow) for the first time ever. Trump, who in 2020 predicted a market collapse if Biden was elected, now claims credit for the hot market. Logic be damned!
  • Consumer sentiment climbed 29% over the past two months, the largest two-month increase in over 30 years.
  • The inflation rate has dropped dramatically, nearing the Fed's goal of 2%.
  • The US has had 24 consecutive months of an unemployment rate below 4%, the longest such streak since the 1960s.
  • The US has added 14.8 million jobs since January 2021, with a gain of 5.4 million jobs since just prior to the pandemic.
  • The bipartisan infrastructure law and the IRA collectively have accounted for hundreds of thousands of new jobs. The IRA alone is projected to create 1.5 million more jobs over the next decade.
Looking good!
All those things are only good economic indicators if a republican is in office. Everyone knows this.

Everyone wants the economy fixed overnight and that’s not happening, so we need someone else. It’s a lazy, childish view of things. No different than when your team is playing poorly, the backup QB is suddenly everyone’s favorite player.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Everyone wants the economy fixed overnight and that’s not happening
Right, it's not happening overnight but things are improving at a much faster pace than many experts predicted. The WSJ article I linked shows that the public is finally getting wind of this.

Reactions: UncleMark
not really. prices have to come down. data is data is data. when people go to the grocery store, get on realtor.com, need insurance, whatever, they see the reality of where we are today. if prices come down or wages go way up before nov then trump will be in big trouble

McDonald’s reported they’re struggling with their customers making 45,000 or less. They’re choosing to stay home because of the higher costs. Inflation is a b#tch, especially for poorer people.

Last edited:
McDonald’s reported they’re struggling with their customers making 45,000 or less. They choosing to stay home because of the higher costs. Inflation is a b#tch, especially for poorer people.
i just don't understand why anyone believes biden has learned anything. he's just been blocked. he's still trying to do student loan forgiveness on his own. accdg to manchin he's surrounded by far, far left people. so he gets re-elected and depending on how congress falls we're right back where we were

i just don't understand why anyone believes biden has learned anything. he's just been blocked. he's still trying to do student loan forgiveness on his own. accdg to manchin he's surrounded by far, far left people. so he gets re-elected and depending on how congress falls we're right back where we were
It’s what the voters want. Spend, spend, spend, and pretend it doesn’t have negative consequences. If someone is fiscally conservative they’re clowns according to @JamieDimonsBalls and most of the voters.

It's fun exposing him. At the same time, I'm here to help...

image.png

....two pacakges for $8. Nice deal, but for a $1 more, he can have more of the same product...

image.png
This is the main reason I come to the WC. I’d love a weekly update on at least one grocery item?

Right, it's not happening overnight but things are improving at a much faster pace than many experts predicted. The WSJ article I linked shows that the public is finally getting wind of this.

Gas, groceries, and jobs/wages. If those two prices moderate at all and jobs stay strong and wages keep rising then all Biden has to do is ask "Did you get a raise this year?" and keep asking it every time he's in front of a microphone.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Gas, groceries, and jobs/wages. If those two prices moderate at all and jobs stay strong and wages keep rising then all Biden has to do is ask "Did you get a raise this year?" and keep asking it every time he's in front of a microphone.
Trump wants to run against Biden primarily on the economy and the border. Assuming the economy continues (as expected) to hum in 2024, Trump won't be able to effectively leverage that issue. That leaves the border. I honestly believe Trump killing the bipartisan Senate bill (and he recently said that if it fails, blame him) will hurt him more than if it were to pass Congress. The Biden campaign communications people are likely champing at the bit to roll out some devastating ads in that regard. "Trump - - the guy who put his own political gain ahead of the national interest." And anyone who argues that Biden doesn't need legislation, that he could take care of everything by executive order(s), that's nonsense. Even Trump acknowledged that when he was president, and pushed hard for the hundreds of millions of dollars made available for the border through the 2019 Homeland Security appropriations bill.

The Biden campaign should line up some stars to nail down the messaging. Of course Obama will be out there later this year, but they need to enlist some younger people to make appearances in the key seven or eight states. People like Wes Moore, Seth Moulton, and Conor Lamb (all decorated vets) would be influential, and they'd also be raising their own profiles for 2028 and beyond. The very popular Andy Beshear could make a difference with independents and even some Trump voters. If the campaign is smart and assuming Joe is still standing in November, BIden should be able to win this election irrespective of whether Trump's criminal cases move forward before the election.

A minimalist before it became trendy

There's great comfort in being content and satisfied with what you have and knowing you can make do with less. My wife had an $1800 car repair done a week ago. It's a bite in the ass, but we can deal with it without it being a burden. We're cash flow positive; these kinds of setbacks take a little time to recover from, but recover we do. As long as we don't get hit with several in a short time, it's really no big deal. Cruises and crab legs are off the table, but we can live without them. YMMV.

There's great comfort in being content and satisfied with what you have and knowing you can make do with less. My wife had an $1800 car repair done a week ago. It's a bite in the ass, but we can deal with it without it being a burden. We're cash flow positive; these kinds of setbacks take a little time to recover from, but recover we do. As long as we don't get hit with several in a short time, it's really no big deal. Cruises and crab legs are off the table, but we can live without them. YMMV.
that sucks! there's a lot to be said for the simpler life. i don't think many realize how expensive kids are until they have them. daycare, school, food/clothes, insurance, medical bills, and the little stuff that pops up like $10k for braces and dentist shit. that's one kid.

life has really gotten expensive. crazy under biden but expensive before too. as i've said before the house i grew up in is now owned by a couple with two kids and the parents are both big firm lawyers. my dad drove a dump truck and my mom stayed home when we lived there. $400k avg house. $45k car. couple grand for daycare. tuitions. medical expenses. it's all awful. shit i pay the equivalent of a $500k house mortgage in child support alone. thank god they're perfect in my eyes or i'd really be bitter lol

I agree it’s getting better. The people bitching about it not getting better fast enough are the same type people who weigh 300lbs and give up their diet after two weeks because they haven’t lost 100lbs yet.

Trends, friend. Things are trending in the right direction. There's a boatload of good data and stats to support that viewpoint. As Kudlow suggested, though, many want to pour cold water on good news pertaining to the economy because it doesn't comport with their preferred political narrative.

The same way those deflected blame for political reasons a year earlier?

It’s what the voters want. Spend, spend, spend, and pretend it doesn’t have negative consequences. If someone is fiscally conservative they’re clowns according to @JamieDimonsBalls and most of the voters.

Ma

Massie is dumb as rocks. That doesn’t mean he is wrong about this issue. We have no fiscal conservatives running for office these days.

Reactions: snarlcakes
People know what Biden did to impact prices. Prices…. And as for the arrogance and ignorance it’s people excusing Biden bc they are fine themselves. I’m fine but won’t excuse him bc I understand the deleterious long term damage he’s done to people in need. They aren’t watching the stock market. Talking about this amorphous word “economy.” Prices. That’s what they see and feel every day and think of. Whether it’s their meds or their rent or the groceries

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
that sucks! there's a lot to be said for the simpler life. i don't think many realize how expensive kids are until they have them. daycare, school, food/clothes, insurance, medical bills, and the little stuff that pops up like $10k for braces and dentist shit. that's one kid.

life has really gotten expensive. crazy under biden but expensive before too. as i've said before the house i grew up in is now owned by a couple with two kids and the parents are both big firm lawyers. my dad drove a dump truck and my mom stayed home when we lived there. $400k avg house. $45k car. couple grand for daycare. tuitions. medical expenses. it's all awful. shit i pay the equivalent of a $500k house mortgage in child support alone. thank god they're perfect in my eyes or i'd really be bitter lol

10K for braces?

You really need to move. We paid a little over 3.

I've got another one that's gonna need them in about a year.

I'm gonna be able to get hers plus go out a couple different times for CRAB LEGS.

Suck it, bitch 🤣
dont count your chickens before they're hatched bitch. how long they have to wear them influences that price. i hope you get whacked!!

• Haha
Reactions: Baller23Boogie
dont count your chickens before they're hatched bitch. how long they have to wear them influences that price. i hope you get whacked!!

Not where we go.

My 17 year old had to wear them almost a year longer then she was suppose to, all appointments were already paid for.

I imagine the same will happen with the youngest.

I guess it wasn't just me that saw a slowdown in January:
  • Chicago PMI dropped
  • Dallas Fed Mfg: down
  • Kansas Fed Mfg: down
  • NY Empire Mfg: really down
  • Richmond Mfg: down
  • Philly Mfg: Down

Do all kids get braces nowadays? Back in the stone age when I was a kid, your teeth had to be pretty damn crooked to get braces. No one bothered with small imperfections.
my close buddy had a corn tooth. got a tooth slid right on top of his broken tooth. didn't even fit. had it all the way until he got hired at bryan cave and got it fixed. F no we didn't get braces

and insurance doesn't cover shit for them

Reactions: Spartans9312
Do all kids get braces nowadays? Back in the stone age when I was a kid, your teeth had to be pretty damn crooked to get braces. No one bothered with small imperfections.
It seems like it. We gave our kids the option. My son originally declined but decided he wanted them. Neither the wife or I had braces. Hell….im not sure I knew more than a handful

Reactions: Baller23Boogie

• Credit card delinquencies surged more than 50% in 2023 as total consumer debt swelled to $17.5 trillion, the New York Fed reported Tuesday.
  • Total debt rose by $212 billion in the quarter, a 1.2% increase quarterly and about 3.6% from a year ago.

• Credit card delinquencies surged more than 50% in 2023 as total consumer debt swelled to $17.5 trillion, the New York Fed reported Tuesday.
  • Total debt rose by $212 billion in the quarter, a 1.2% increase quarterly and about 3.6% from a year ago.
There is your GDP bump

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT