ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago politics and events

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

I figured quite a few of us live in the Chicagoland area and would start a thread about it.

Chicago politics is different than Indiana politics. We don't really have a functioning Republican party in the city or county, and one-party rule is never a good thing. But the Democrats here range from right of center to radically left of center on social issues (while most just want to ignore any financial issues and kick the can as far down the road as possible).

A request: if you don't live here or visit often, please refrain from just dropping in meaningless "it's a shithole" or "no, it's not; I visited the MagMile and it's so wonderful" posts. Those types of messages add nothing and just show you don't know the city well or care to discuss it in a serious way.

To start, Lightfoot is in trouble with this (I hope):

I don't like Lightfoot much, but honestly don't know much about the other candidates. Anyone up to speed on them?

Fellow Chicagoan here... I'm not up to speed on the other candidates, but whoever focuses on reducing the crime and fixing the damn roads will have my vote. She shouldn't even get past the first round of voting. I know no one who approves of the job she is doing.

Fellow Chicagoan here... I'm not up to speed on the other candidates, but whoever focuses on reducing the crime and fixing the damn roads will have my vote. She shouldn't even get past the first round of voting. I know no one who approves of the job she is doing.
Vallas is the only one talking about reining in city spending in this summary. I remember liking him years ago when he ran for another office. He probably can't win, though:

If you have an hour this is a really awesome, candid interview with Alderman Raymond Lopez from the 15th. From Barstool of all places.

I’ll be voting for Willie Wilson. He’s a little nutty, but he’s been more adamant than any other candidate I’ve seen about taking the shackles off the police, and he’s got a strong base of support that realistically could see him in the run off. I think most chicagoans would say crime is issue #1, 2 and 3 as it continues to even leak into the north side and the Lakefront.

Unfortunately, I think the next mayor will likely be Chuy, which will be a disaster.

I think Lightfoot is cooked one way or the other.

If you have an hour this is a really awesome, candid interview with Alderman Raymond Lopez from the 15th. From Barstool of all places.

I’ll be voting for Willie Wilson. He’s a little nutty, but he’s been more adamant than any other candidate I’ve seen about taking the shackles off the police, and he’s got a strong base of support that realistically could see him in the run off. I think most chicagoans would say crime is issue #1, 2 and 3 as it continues to even leak into the north side and the Lakefront.

Unfortunately, I think the next mayor will likely be Chuy, which will be a disaster.

Crime is important but you can't fix that without also addressing Kim Foxx, the State's Attorney. Finances should be the #1 issue here (and statewide) but nobody wants to think about it. To some extent, I can't blame people--If Rahm Emmanuel couldn't put a dent in the problem, I'm not sure who could.

Reactions: DrHoops and larsIU
Crime is important but you can't fix that without also addressing Kim Foxx, the State's Attorney. Finances should be the #1 issue here (and statewide) but nobody wants to think about it. To some extent, I can't blame people--If Rahm Emmanuel couldn't put a dent in the problem, I'm not sure who could.
Your boy Vallas lays out some interesting ways in which you could potentially circumvent Foxx

Paul Vallas on Police
https://www.paulvallas2023.com/?wix...c0cbd3cb6eb5a8b&wix-vod-comp-id=comp-jtff6odi

Lightfoot pays lip service to being frustrated with the DA’s office at times, but the reality is she’s not using all the tools at her disposal.

• Love
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Your boy Vallas lays out some interesting ways in which you could potentially circumvent Foxx

Paul Vallas on Police
https://www.paulvallas2023.com/?wix...c0cbd3cb6eb5a8b&wix-vod-comp-id=comp-jtff6odi

Lightfoot pays lip service to being frustrated with the DA’s office at times, but the reality is she’s not using all the tools at her disposal.
All good points made by Vallas. All of that will help. But the police can't be undermined by the prosecutor. They have to work together.

Large black population with Dems in charge is a perfect recipe for crime. I’ve often wondered how things would look if you flipped it. Dems in charge of state and pubs in charge of city: mayor, prosecutor etc

Reactions: Crayfish57
I figured quite a few of us live in the Chicagoland area and would start a thread about it.

Chicago politics is different than Indiana politics. We don't really have a functioning Republican party in the city or county, and one-party rule is never a good thing. But the Democrats here range from right of center to radically left of center on social issues (while most just want to ignore any financial issues and kick the can as far down the road as possible).

A request: if you don't live here or visit often, please refrain from just dropping in meaningless "it's a shithole" or "no, it's not; I visited the MagMile and it's so wonderful" posts. Those types of messages add nothing and just show you don't know the city well or care to discuss it in a serious way.

To start, Lightfoot is in trouble with this (I hope):

I don't like Lightfoot much, but honestly don't know much about the other candidates. Anyone up to speed on them?
I lived in Stickney IL for four years while attending the Moody Bible Institute in the city. It seemed like every day some state senator,alderman,police officer,fire fighter or nearby mayor from one of the suburbs was in trouble with the law. One of the big stories while there was Betty Lauren Maltese who was the mayor of Cicero. She had mob ties and stuck her hands in the public till. So from my perspective it is a very corrupt place. I even voted for one of them in Gov. Ryan who was ousted for corruption.

• Wow
Reactions: ChiDiggity
Large black population with Dems in charge is a perfect recipe for crime. I’ve often wondered how things would look if you flipped it. Dems in charge of state and pubs in charge of city: mayor, prosecutor etc
Record high taxes and outward migration with much lower crime.

Are you referring to Missouri/ St. Louis? Because the Republican Party in Illinois is for all intents and purposes dead, statewide and obviously in Chicago.

The new gerrymandered map all but guarantees Republicans will never take the state house or Supreme Court again. We may snag a RINO Governor on occasion, who will summarily be neutered and made to bend to the will of Chicago politics.

I’m not complaining, I can/ should leave. Which is how Americans used to deal with state and local governments they didn’t like back when we were still a federalist country. We can move more easily than any time in human history, yet Americans are moving states less and less. A paradox.

Which brings me to a larger point. More Americans need to self sort. Republicans need to keep fleeing to Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Idaho etc. Democrats need to keep pressing their stranglehold on Urban areas on the coasts and in the upper Midwest.

Eventually it will become obvious that these states have so little in common that the only way we can function as one nation without killing each other is for the Federal government to be scaled back majorly and leave the states the hell alone.

Which is how the country was intended to operate for crying out loud.

Are you referring to Missouri/ St. Louis? Because the Republican Party in Illinois is for all intents and purposes dead, statewide and obviously in Chicago.

The new gerrymandered map all but guarantees Republicans will never take the state house or Supreme Court again. We may snag a RINO Governor on occasion, who will summarily be neutered and made to bend to the will of Chicago politics.

I’m not complaining, I can/ should leave. Which is how Americans used to deal with state and local governments they didn’t like back when we were still a federalist country. We can move more easily than any time in human history, yet Americans are moving states less and less. A paradox.

Which brings me to a larger point. More Americans need to self sort. Republicans need to keep fleeing to Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Idaho etc. Democrats need to keep pressing their stranglehold on Urban areas on the coasts and in the upper Midwest.

Eventually it will become obvious that these states have so little in common that the only way we can function as one nation without killing each other is for the Federal government to be scaled back majorly and leave the states the hell alone.

Which is how the country was intended to operate for crying out loud.
Understood on Illinois. And yes you could pick Stl and Missouri. But there are many others. Memphis and Tennessee. Baltimore and Maryland. Etc. It's more a political/policy/philosophical hypo. It "may" be that the "beliefs" of the parties are inverted in what they are actually better suited to govern re state and local

Only chicago would re-elect such a corrupt attorney like Foxx. She couldn’t have embarrassed the city more if she tried. And yet, she’s still cashing its checks.

We can move more easily than any time in human history, yet Americans are moving states less and less. A paradox

Agree with most of your post, but I don’t believe this is accurate. Migration has significantly affected Illinois, New York, and is starting to impact California and other high tax states.

The census bureau has some interesting data:

Agree with most of your post, but I don’t believe this is accurate. Migration has significantly affected Illinois, New York, and is starting to impact California and other high tax states.

The census bureau has some interesting data:

Some major metros are losing people for obvious reasons. Overall, Americans don’t leave home anymore.

Record high taxes and outward migration with much lower crime.
Illinois' population is shrinking, but the Chicago area is growing and Downtown Chicago is the fastest growing in the country. So, wrong again.

#1 Big City in the US by Conde Nast Traveler.

#6 Best people in the United States

If you don't like Chicago, there is something wrong with you. Outside of Chicago, you are basically living in an Indiana hellscape.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dbmhoosier
Is a discussion of the "Constitutional Sheriffs" okay in this thread, @BradStevens ? That's an absurd situation.
Too funny. Posse comitatus. The power of the county. i remember studying this in public admin. this grew out of the 70s. it's crazy how history repeats itself. CRT. Constitutional sheriffs etc.

i'll add that i don't know really how sheriffs' departments work in indiana, or monroe county (isn't that bloomington?). Here they are really just for managing the courts, serving process, and transporting prisoners. but palm beach county for instance the sheriff's dept is the largest law enforcement dept in the county. they are ubiquitous.

Last edited:
Illinois' population is shrinking, but the Chicago area is growing and Downtown Chicago is the fastest growing in the country. So, wrong again.
That may be true but I believe that the Chicago metro area is shrinking.

I had to look those up. No, those aren't very Chicago centric. Sound like a throw back to Roman tribunes of the plebs.

I was referring to the sheriffs who say they will refuse to enforce the new gun law, but whatever.

Chicago has lost one million people since 1950. Since 2,000 it’s the slowest growing major city in America. It’s decline is interesting. While the decline in Stl is to suburbs and farther out Chicago has lost to Florida and the south and I think even the southwest. It’s the working class that have bolted while a more educated population has grown in chicago. Obviously a massive net loss since 1950 and again in the last 20 years it’s the slowest growing big city in America

Last edited:
I was referring to the sheriffs who say they will refuse to enforce the new gun law, but whatever.
Same for Covid restrictions in counties all over. Sheriffs are odd. Easy to stereotype. Unlike police chiefs they are elected. So politicians with constituents. But cops adjacent. On and on

I worked in DuPage County for a while.

Police can’t respond, but you shouldn’t own a firearm to protect yourself.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/74-illinois-sheriffs-departments-vow-defy-new-state/story?id=96384352

IL, Chicago, and Cook (crook) County are still going broke. Lori didn’t make that better.

I agree Chicagoans will vote Lori out, in favor of the best law and order candidate.
I expected better from a former US attorney.

Once upon a time, the Chicago Dem. machine was about law and order.

Bryne was voted out for not getting the streets plowed.

Last edited:
You would be wrong. Cook County and Chico Metro Area is growing, but this thread is about the City of Chicago and its politics/policies, not some exurb.

Last edited:
Chicago has lost one million people since 1950. Since 2,000 it’s the slowest growing major city in America. It’s decline is interesting. While the decline in Stl is to suburbs and farther out Chicago has lost to Florida and the south and I think even the southwest. It’s the working class that have bolted while a more educated population has grown in chicago. Obviously a massive net loss since 1950 and again in the last 20 years it’s the slowest growing big city in America
The Chicago Metropolitan Area has almost doubled in size since 1950.

The Chicago Metropolitan Area has almost doubled in size since 1950.

So has the US population. Identical to Stl. The metro here has doubled in size. But the city has lost an enormous amount of people. Chicago has lost a million. Stl 2/3 which is insane.

Last edited:
The law is very likely unconstitutional, not to mention it creates more danger than it prevents by turning cops into the magazine stasi.

So has the US population. Identical to Stl. The metro here has doubled in size. But the city has lost an enormous amount of people. Chicago has lost a million. Stl 2/3 which is insane.
It's still the 3rd largest city in the US. The fact is the growth boom in Chicago was between 1920 and 1950. They added a million. Most of the loss in population was between 1950, the peak, and 1990. They lost about a million. Since then, the population of Chicago has been fairly steady. I can look out my window and see three new skyscrapers going now.

population-graph

Chicago is an awesome place to live.

Meanwhile, here is St. Louis over the same time period. Chicago is nothing like St. Louis. At one point St. Louis was the 4th largest city in the US. Now it's the 70th. It's in a death spiral.

population-graph

It's still the 3rd largest city in the US. The fact is the growth boom in Chicago was between 1920 and 1950. They added a million. Most of the loss in population was between 1950, the peak, and 1990. They lost about a million. Since then, the population of Chicago has been fairly steady. I can look out my window and see three new skyscrapers going now.

population-graph

Meanwhile, here is St. Louis over the same time period. Chicago is nothing like St. Louis. At one point St. Louis was the 4th largest city in the US. Now it's the 70th. It's in a death spiral.

population-graph

population-graph

population-graph
Saint Louis metro population has doubled since 1950. The city is tiny and has been run by Dems that entire time. The city is only about 300,000 with no county. So as a result of crime and poor schools city residents haven’t left Stl Louis they’ve just left the city. For the county and suburbs. I can look out my window and see five massive new developments going up as well.

Chicago is the slowest growing big city in America. Of course it’s a great city. That said I suspect Dems like Lightfoot and the prosecutor and crime play a role in retarding growth. No different than Saint Louis and many other cities run by Dems. Why is such a great city the slowest growing large city in America?

It’s not my city is better than yours so relax. Stl is awful. It’s a political governance question. I could have chosen many other cities to use as an exemplar

Last edited:
Saint Louis metro population has doubled since 1950. The city is tiny and has been run by Dems that entire time. The city is only about 300,000 with no county. So as a result of crime and poor schools city residents haven’t left Stl Louis they’ve just left the city. For the county and suburbs. I can look out my window and see five massive new developments going up as well.

Chicago is the slowest growing big city in America. Of course it’s a great city. That said I suspect Dems like Lightfoot and the prosecutor and crime play a role in retarding growth. No different than Saint Louis and many other cities run by Dems. Why is such a great city the slowest growing large city in America?

It’s not my city is better than yours so relax. It’s a political governance question. I could have chosen many other cities to use as ab exemplar
I can’t look out my window and see any new projects. But I can drive around a mile in three different directions and see several, all apartments. Denver and the area is seeing significant growth. But it’s not a healthy growth. All apartments occupied by DINKs. No kids! We need the kids!

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Lightfoot, as much as I hate to admit it, is in no trouble at all. She's who the machine wants. And if you've learned nothing else about politics in Illinois...it's that, outside of Crook County, nothing matters. And the machine runs Crook County. Mayor Light weight is going nowhere. King Madigan may be gone, but the machine lives on.

BTW does it creep anyone out that Jelly Belly (JB) was over in Davos at the WEF boondoggle? He really does have high hopes for his future. But everyone at the WEF looks like they eat kale, tofu and rainwater all day, and are looking at JB like "what the hell does this Fat-F#@k eat?"

• Sad
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

It’s not my city is better than yours so relax. Stl is awful. It’s a political governance question. I could have chosen many other cities to use as ab exemplar
Easy brother. We got a nice new Bally’s Casino being built in River West. That should spur some growth and bring a nice new element to the neighborhood, with easy access to the rest of the north side.

Casino’s right downtown is the mark of a healthy city. Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Atlantic City. These are vibrant places.

Easy brother. We got a nice new Bally’s Casino being built in River West. That should spur some growth and bring a nice new element to the neighborhood, with easy access to the rest of the north side.

Casino’s right downtown is the mark of a healthy city. Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Atlantic City. These are vibrant places.
you can tell I've been living in the burbs forever...the thought of "casinos" bring "nice new elements" to neighborhoods....my brain hurts trying to process that data. I guess I have a different view of 'neighborhoods'.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I can’t look out my window and see any new projects. But I can drive around a mile in three different directions and see several, all apartments. Denver and the area is seeing significant growth. But it’s not a healthy growth. All apartments occupied by DINKs. No kids! We need the kids!
Musk was just talking about that re kids.

LOL. I love chicago. I hate the cold so would never want to live there but I can't wait to visit this summer. I'm just shocked that cities continue to elect Lightfoot and her ilk. The cities move on in spite of their elected officials.

Elon has done his part in procreating.
What's funny is that even these billionaires are vain. Musk has fake hair. Sewn in. How he looks today is a far cry from before. Look at Bezos. There's an old clip of him rolling around town with a friar tuck, dockers, and an accord. Now he's shaved clean and ripped, scooting around on yachts. he looks like a self help guy from instagram espousing the benefits of working out at 4 am

LOL. I love chicago. I hate the cold so would never want to live there but I can't wait to visit this summer. I'm just shocked that cities continue to elect Lightfoot and her ilk. The cities move on in spite of their elected officials.
Its not even that cold anymore. Trust me, I know: this winter I built a backyard ice rink for my son. We got a total of three days use out of it so far during that polar vortex pre-Christmas. Since then: mid-30s and 40s (grey and overcast, of course). Global warming is real!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT