ADVERTISEMENT

Why did nearly 70 million people vote for Trump?

I know who John Birchers are. I have no clue about what your point is.

populism does not have a precise definition. Do you know who or what Ike was talking about? Did you read slogo’s link about all the Trump voters and mental illness? If that kind of academic nonsense is the opposite of populism, I’ll be a populist any time.

Did you read my replies in that thread. I suggested rural America have fears and Dems need to address them.

Ike was worried about Taft and less so, Mac.

Goat did the math, it was not less important than Bush 43.

The issue is why did they vote for Trump, not why they didn’t vote for him. There really isn’t a question that Trump expanded the base. You speak of populism in this thread. I think that includes looking out for the ordinary people who work for hourly wages in dirty industries. Telling them to learn to code doesn’t cut it. Trump was singularly focused on jobs in almost all of his policies. People get that regardless of skin color. The Democrats snd even Biden talk in terms of shutting down large economic sectors.

I could understand Biden’s comments about climate change if he would speak in terms of nuclear energy at the same time. He doesn’t. He talks about only renewables. That isn’t science, it’s politics.

Did you read my replies in that thread. I suggested rural America have fears and Dems need to address them.

Ike was worried about Taft and less so, Mac.

Rural America us not the issue. The issue is all the people who worked every day on the job during the shut downs while others were in the safe harbor of working from home with secure incomes. Millions of people worked in oil snd gas and energy production, in keeping the supply chains going, and maintaining what makes the country operate, while those who benefit from all that labor vote for people who want to destroy their industries and jobs.

Rural America us not the issue. The issue is all the people who worked every day on the job during the shut downs while others were in the safe harbor of working from home with secure incomes. Millions of people worked in oil snd gas and energy production, in keeping the supply chains going, and maintaining what makes the country operate, while those who benefit from all that labor vote for people who want to destroy their industries and jobs.

Most people who work in oil and gas are well compensated. Much better than the chicken pluckers who caught COVID in April. People who may not have insurance and who may find it hard to insure IF pre-existing is ended.

The issue is why did they vote for Trump, not why they didn’t vote for him. There really isn’t a question that Trump expanded the base. You speak of populism in this thread. I think that includes looking out for the ordinary people who work for hourly wages in dirty industries. Telling them to learn to code doesn’t cut it. Trump was singularly focused on jobs in almost all of his policies. People get that regardless of skin color. The Democrats snd even Biden talk in terms of shutting down large economic sectors.

I could understand Biden’s comments about climate change if he would speak in terms of nuclear energy at the same time. He doesn’t. He talks about only renewables. That isn’t science, it’s politics.
Some of this makes sense, until you get to Biden shutting down large economic sectors. I presume you're thinking of his comment to decrease reliance on fossil fuels by 2050? He's not talking about shutting-down the sector.

Some of this makes sense, until you get to Biden shutting down large economic sectors. I presume you're thinking of his comment to decrease reliance on fossil fuels by 2050? He's not talking about shutting-down the sector.

We are not close to being able to do that. But there was a day almost all blacksmiths lost their jobs. There ARE going to be electric cars, one day all new cars will be battery powered.. We can wait and buy them from China, or we can fight like hell to be the leader in the tech,

Reactions: largemouth
Same experience basically.

I like multi-culturalism. To be put in a situation where you can't speak the language is both challenging and fulfilling. Thats why I enjoy and yet fear moving places.
But its a process but fulfilling one because of its a new chapter in your life, rejuvenating -- less stale and monotonous.
I love it too and I love places in the US where it feels like another country, Key West, New Orleans, etc. I don’t move places due to friends and family but boy I cannot wait until I can travel again. I’ve missed three planned trips so far.

I love it too and I love places in the US where it feels like another country, Key West, New Orleans, etc. I don’t move places due to friends and family but boy I cannot wait until I can travel again. I’ve missed three planned trips so far.

I am stuck here too. Cant move till probably Q2 next year. We have had like zero cases all week or most of the last month or so. As a result the authorities here are very cautious on who they allow in & out. Everyone is tested at the entry points --border crossings/airport.

So I cant even fly up to Penang to look at the renovation works or to sign off on it. I would be quarantined there for 2 weeks upon arrival and then when I return back to SG, I will be quarantined for another two weeks... just for a day trip!
😰 It will just be too bat soup crazy to do it at this point.

Bottom line, Biden will have a golden opportunity to handle the pandemic well.

Trump had the same and obviously (in hindsight) threw away his second term with his abject failure.
It’s going to be really difficult to get ahold of it now. Half the country will not trust what Biden and or scientists suggest.

Reactions: UncleMark
I am stuck here too. Cant move till probably Q2 next year. We have had like zero cases all week or most of the last month or so. As a result the authorities here are very cautious on who they allow in & out. Everyone is tested at the entry points --border crossings/airport.

So I cant even fly up to Penang to look at the renovation works or to sign off on it. I would be quarantined there for 2 weeks upon arrival and then when I return back to SG, I will be quarantined for another two weeks... just for a day trip!
😰 It will just be too bat soup crazy to do it at this point.
Yeah there’s stuck and then there’s stuck. I’ve seen your views. Try Indy in winter...

• Sad
Reactions: sglowrider
Yeah there’s stuck and then there’s stuck. I’ve seen your views. Try Indy in winter...

tbf I was stuck in KC for 5 years and I have had 4 yrs of Bloomington, IN.
KC is a hell hole in comparison. Shitty winters and even worse summers. High humidity and even higher temps.

I talked to a local restauranteur last evening and asked him what his plans were for the winter. He sounded really depressed. Outside heaters are a big investment which is a risk if Biden leads a national lock down. Plus he will need to go through some kind of bureaucratic waiver process to have the heaters under his tent. That will take 45 days or so. Plus the Colorado voters just passed a mandate for FMLA for all employers over 9. That burden starts in 2 years, right when he thinks he might get back on his feet after this pandemic. I feel sorry for him. He is debating whether to go through the angst of trying to stick it out or just walking away from his considerable investment in the place and saying f-ck it.

This argument is dumb, apologize, too in the weeds in my opinion.

With covid running rampant no one is going to go out to restaurants.

We can't get the economy back until we can manage the virus.

Lock downs are basically a time out because we can't get the virus under control. It's sad as a nation that more people didn't call out Trump's 'ignore it and it will at least get off the news cycle' virus plan because it's not only devastating our health, it's killing small businesses owners.

It's like fighting a wildfire by pretending it's not there and hoping it just burns out.

So what do you want? Give up and let the virus run unabandoned or come together and try our best to contain it?

Because ignoring it has had devastating results.

Really good point.

Lock downs are basically a time out because we can't get the virus under control. It's sad as a nation that more people didn't call out Trump's 'ignore it and it will at least get off the news cycle' virus plan because it's not only devastating our health, it's killing small businesses owners.

It's like fighting a wildfire by pretending it's not there and hoping it just burns out.

So what do you want? Give up and let the virus run unabandoned or come together and try our best to contain it?

This is where CO tells you those 240k people would have died of something eventually.

This is a really stupid article. Brandy Lee simply tracks Hillary's deplorable comment and Obama's bitter clinger arguments with academic jargon and psychobabble.

Here's the argument in much simpler language that posters here and other liberals have stated and restated eleventy million times.

"I'm a liberal and I am correct about everything. If you disagree with me, you can't be correct or reasonable. So you must be mentally ill, a racist, a deplorable, or you bitterly cling to your guns and Bibles because you can't possible be correct."

It’s really not hard to understand.

tbf I was stuck in KC for 5 years and I have had 4 yrs of Bloomington, IN.
KC is a hell hole in comparison. Shitty winters and even worse summers. High humidity and even higher temps.
I love Bloomington no matter what time of year. It’s particularly spectacular this fall.

Reactions: sglowrider
I love Bloomington no matter what time of year. It’s particularly spectacular this fall.

Yes but its the ragweed that kills me. Never ever had issues with falls or springs until I moved to Bloomington.
I remember going to the Student Health Center asking the doctor what's going on? He said ''well you are officially a Hoosier now.' 😨

Reactions: zeke4ahs

There is a lot of room between ignoring the virus on one hand and lockdowns on the other. One size fits all doesn’t work on a household, neighborhood, community, state or national level. People need to quit acting like there is a one seize fits all path to deal with the virus.

There is a lot of room between ignoring the virus on one hand and lockdowns on the other. One size fits all doesn’t work on a household, neighborhood, community, state or national level. People need to quit acting like there is a one seize fits all path to deal with the virus.

One size fits all guidelines work all the time. We have a national maximum interstate speed limit, for one example.

So we develop national rules. Here is an example, once area hospitals hit x capacity, something happens. If anyone bothers to look, many areas in this country are out of general hospital beds and/or ICU beds.

Now someone might say if the citizens of Midland want to go past 100%, it is their right. The catch is that their people then fill up other city's hospitals who have had no say in this issue and none of our hospitals are staffed to run 100%. Anyone that cares can Google the travel medical industry and its work to support places that go to 100%. The travel industry has run out of people to send. So unless places like Wisconsin get under control, Indiana cannot find more help as our problem gets worse (4 of the last 7 days in Indiana has had higher admittance numbers than any day in the spring).

Everyone is looking for someone else to be a bad guy. No mayor wants to shut down a city with neighboring cities open, same for governors. So a comprehensive list of if-> then rules works great.

Anyone that wants can try to refute that many areas have a hospital room problem and/or hospital staffing problem. Below IS happening, no amount of positive thinking is changing it. Read the whole article https://www.emsworld.com/news/1225257/covid-stressed-idaho-hospitals-what-if-has-arrived .

It used to take a half hour for Minidoka physicians to find a hospital that could take patients who'd been in a car crash, for example. Now, it takes them two or three hours, Murphy said.​

Reactions: TommyCracker
One size fits all guidelines work all the time. We have a national maximum interstate speed limit, for one example.

So we develop national rules. Here is an example, once area hospitals hit x capacity, something happens. If anyone bothers to look, many areas in this country are out of general hospital beds and/or ICU beds.

Now someone might say if the citizens of Midland want to go past 100%, it is their right. The catch is that their people then fill up other city's hospitals who have had no say in this issue and none of our hospitals are staffed to run 100%. Anyone that cares can Google the travel medical industry and its work to support places that go to 100%. The travel industry has run out of people to send. So unless places like Wisconsin get under control, Indiana cannot find more help as our problem gets worse (4 of the last 7 days in Indiana has had higher admittance numbers than any day in the spring).

Everyone is looking for someone else to be a bad guy. No mayor wants to shut down a city with neighboring cities open, same for governors. So a comprehensive list of if-> then rules works great.

Anyone that wants can try to refute that many areas have a hospital room problem and/or hospital staffing problem. Below IS happening, no amount of positive thinking is changing it. Read the whole article https://www.emsworld.com/news/1225257/covid-stressed-idaho-hospitals-what-if-has-arrived .

It used to take a half hour for Minidoka physicians to find a hospital that could take patients who'd been in a car crash, for example. Now, it takes them two or three hours, Murphy said.​
I’m pretty sure we haven’t had a maximum speed limit set by the US government since 1995. I remember when the US government set a 55 mph limit and then a 65 mph limit before they ended that. Both those maximums sucked.

This is now left to the states and I think that is appropriate. One size doesn’t always fit all. Another thing that should be left to the states is minimum wages. One size doesn’t fit all there either.

BLM is a victim of its own success. when every protest gets flagged as a "BLM" protest.

It served the anti-BLM story line when protesters acted badly. Especially among people willing to ignore the positive impact BLM has had with drawing attention to the cause of Black Americans.

This is spot on. When a movement like BLM really take off all kinds of special interests get involved and it loses it's focus. It takes credit for everything and gets blamed for everything.

I’m pretty sure we haven’t had a maximum speed limit set by the US government since 1995. I remember when the US government set a 55 mph limit and then a 65 mph limit before they ended that. Both those maximums sucked.

This is now left to the states and I think that is appropriate. One size doesn’t always fit all. Another thing that should be left to the states is minimum wages. One size doesn’t fit all there either.

You are correct, I thought when Montana's unlimited was thrown out a national cap was set. Rather the court's opinion was just that Montana was too vague.

I have a progressive friend who voted Reagan over this issue alone. He hated everything else Reagan.
I can understand that, 55 mph was a ridiculous speed limit! ;)

I voted for Carter in 1980, but Reagan in 1984. I liked a lot about Reagan, especially his optimism. I relate to that kind of politics. Too many Republicans today are pessimistic. Reagan wouldn't relate to that.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

I asking what do you guys want? I'm pretty sure you don't want lock downs. We've been arguing masks all summer?

That's my complaint with the virus response....there doesn't seem to be one except let me do what I want and let God figure it out.

Circle the clock back to March, I gave Trump a ton of credit for asking for the spring lock down. Along with that came some guidelines in regards to moving averages.

I thought 'holy shit, the guy is actually going to be a leader vs a spinner for once'.

It lasted about a week when Trump was the one who went against his own guidelines and started screaming to open up by Easter regardless. Therefore undermining his own message, sending the country back into debating whether the forest fire is real or not.

So again I ask, what do you want because it sounds like you want a comprehensive, micro marketed action plan based on local data points....which I am all for 100%.

What we got was nothing. I take that back we got some mis information, conspiracy, blind faith and scapegoating.

Then fund for expansion. Hospitalization numbers are up and can require a shutdown might mean 120 people maxed out capacity so we’re shutting down the livelihoods of 1.5 million and the myriad consequences of same will follow. This calculus of hospitalizations dictating policy has got to stop. I hope biden has some creativity. Locking us down is lazy bs that invites all the consequences I’ve belabored the shit out of. Let’s hear some igw stuff. Treatment expansion. Something. Prove me wrong biden. Do something with thought and don’t blindly follow doctors. Doctors are the stereotypical mile deep - inch wide thought processes. I bet I’ve deposed a thousand of them. Literally all the same.

Then fund for expansion. Hospitalization numbers are up and can require a shutdown might mean 120 people maxed out capacity so we’re shutting down the livelihoods of 1.5 million and the myriad consequences of same will follow. This calculus of hospitalizations dictating policy has got to stop. I hope biden has some creativity. Locking us down is lazy bs that invites all the consequences I’ve belabored the shit out of. Let’s hear some igw stuff. Treatment expansion. Something. Prove me wrong biden. Do something with thought and don’t blindly follow doctors. Doctors are the stereotypical mile deep - inch wide thought processes. I bet I’ve deposed a thousand of them. Literally all the same.

Expand what? There is a shortage of medical personnel in addition to facilities. Do you have a shortcut to doctors.

If the people of a county choose the "eat, drink, and be merry tonight for tomorrow we die" mentality, why should my county suffer? Earlier in the week, Lawrence County was sending hospital patients to Monroe. If Owen, also in an outbreak, does the same Monroe's may start to fill. If someone runs a stop sign and hits me I may get to enjoy an ambulance trip to Indy because people in Bedford wanted to party at bars like it's 1999.

So what do we expand? There is a shortage of medical personnel. Do you know a shortcut to getting doctors and nurses through school? We can build tent hospitals, like Wisconsin has done, it does not fix the staff shortage.

We "probably" do not have to shut down everything. We accumulate data all the time about what actions spread the disease. Gyms ate frequently listed. Is it better to close gyms or overcrowd hospitals? Is it better to pack a bar or overcrowd hospitals?

It costs over $10,000 for the first day of an ICU stay. Who pays that? Medicare is now projected to run out of money two years earlier, now projected at 2024, because of COVID. How much more ate you volunteering to pay. https://www.healthcaredive.com/news...nal Budget Office now,the effects of COVID-19.

The simple part of the equation you and CO seem to ignore, the sooner you take an action the less of an action you need to take. Ask Aloha 8f his ship were heading toward another ship at 5 miles how much of a turn it would take to miss the ship compared to the same ship at 100 yards.

The problem isn't that our hospitals are too small. I can't believe that has become the answer, too small hospitals.

In deaths, we have lost Boise, Idaho. The city of Boise is gone. If China nuked Boise, would we say, "let's not retaliate, think of the economy"?

What is it about conservative lawyers? CO once deposed a physicist and from reading one "physics for dummies" book before the deposition he knew that he could write an equation to prove string theory and that it would be easy.

Like I said, we need to act sooner rather than later to minimize the damage. So mask ordinances might be enough but that ship is done boarding and the gangway is being pulled away. So what is next? Complaining our hospitals are too small isn't a solution.

It's a combination of stupidity and racism. Also, Trump's a con artist. Finding imbeciles even dumber than himself is what he does. The sheer number of them is a bit surprising, until you actually spend some time in public. Especially Walmart. Then you understand why Trump has so much support.

I asking what do you guys want? I'm pretty sure you don't want lock downs. We've been arguing masks all summer?

That's my complaint with the virus response....there doesn't seem to be one except let me do what I want and let God figure it out.

Circle the clock back to March, I gave Trump a ton of credit for asking for the spring lock down. Along with that came some guidelines in regards to moving averages.

I thought 'holy shit, the guy is actually going to be a leader vs a spinner for once'.

It lasted about a week when Trump was the one who went against his own guidelines and started screaming to open up by Easter regardless. Therefore undermining his own message, sending the country back into debating whether the forest fire is real or not.

So again I ask, what do you want because it sounds like you want a comprehensive, micro marketed action plan based on local data points....which I am all for 100%.

What we got was nothing. I take that back we got some mis information, conspiracy, blind faith and scapegoating.

I want good information about where the risks are and what the risks are in locations. I want government requirements consistent with risks. I don’t want to be told to “sit,” “stay,” or “fetch.” The Denver positive case map has well defined outbreak neighborhoods. . The data show well defined outbreak locations within the mapped neighborhoods. The positive case rate is by no means evenly distributed. Yet the politicians still insist on one size fits all controls.

Reactions: stollcpa
Expand what? There is a shortage of medical personnel in addition to facilities. Do you have a shortcut to doctors.

If the people of a county choose the "eat, drink, and be merry tonight for tomorrow we die" mentality, why should my county suffer? Earlier in the week, Lawrence County was sending hospital patients to Monroe. If Owen, also in an outbreak, does the same Monroe's may start to fill. If someone runs a stop sign and hits me I may get to enjoy an ambulance trip to Indy because people in Bedford wanted to party at bars like it's 1999.

So what do we expand? There is a shortage of medical personnel. Do you know a shortcut to getting doctors and nurses through school? We can build tent hospitals, like Wisconsin has done, it does not fix the staff shortage.

We "probably" do not have to shut down everything. We accumulate data all the time about what actions spread the disease. Gyms ate frequently listed. Is it better to close gyms or overcrowd hospitals? Is it better to pack a bar or overcrowd hospitals?

It costs over $10,000 for the first day of an ICU stay. Who pays that? Medicare is now projected to run out of money two years earlier, now projected at 2024, because of COVID. How much more ate you volunteering to pay. https://www.healthcaredive.com/news...nal Budget Office now,the effects of COVID-19.

The simple part of the equation you and CO seem to ignore, the sooner you take an action the less of an action you need to take. Ask Aloha 8f his ship were heading toward another ship at 5 miles how much of a turn it would take to miss the ship compared to the same ship at 100 yards.

The problem isn't that our hospitals are too small. I can't believe that has become the answer, too small hospitals.

In deaths, we have lost Boise, Idaho. The city of Boise is gone. If China nuked Boise, would we say, "let's not retaliate, think of the economy"?

What is it about conservative lawyers? CO once deposed a physicist and from reading one "physics for dummies" book before the deposition he knew that he could write an equation to prove string theory and that it would be easy.

Like I said, we need to act sooner rather than later to minimize the damage. So mask ordinances might be enough but that ship is done boarding and the gangway is being pulled away. So what is next? Complaining our hospitals are too small isn't a solution.
Locking 1.5 mil down for 70 new patients isn’t a solution. Capacity is too small. Places are figuring out how to add doctors already by bypassing to allow new grads to treat sooner, etc. nurses are easily added if financially incentivized as traveling nurses etc. the lockdown mentality is lazy thinking. Lastly as for the costs of treatment hospitals inflate the shit out of billing. That’s why trump put in the hospital transparency bill. And I thought the feds were subsidizing Covid. Mark my words u see Biden we’ll follow tunnel vision docs and the cure will be worse than the virus. The death rates are incredibly low. Time to explore igw stuff. Biden’s been sitting on the bench watching this crap. If 80 year old fauci dictates policy we’re all in trouble

I want good information about where the risks are and what the risks are in locations. I want government requirements consistent with risks. I don’t want to be told to “sit,” “stay,” or “fetch.” The Denver positive case map has well defined outbreak neighborhoods. . The data show well defined outbreak locations within the mapped neighborhoods. The positive case rate is by no means evenly distributed. Yet the politicians still insist on one size fits all controls.

Exactly. Per usual

Reactions: stollcpa
Locking 1.5 mil down for 70 new patients isn’t a solution. Capacity is too small. Places are figuring out how to add doctors already by bypassing to allow new grads to treat sooner, etc. nurses are easily added if financially incentivized as traveling nurses etc. the lockdown mentality is lazy thinking. Lastly as for the costs of treatment hospitals inflate the shit out of billing. That’s why trump put in the hospital transparency bill. And I thought the feds were subsidizing Covid. Mark my words u see Biden we’ll follow tunnel vision docs and the cure will be worse than the virus. The death rates are incredibly low. Time to explore igw stuff. Biden’s been sitting on the bench watching this crap. If 80 year old fauci dictates policy we’re all in trouble

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh. Why do you think there are no steps between "pack the gyms and bars 100% and build new hospitals by the thousands" and "lock us in our homes entirely"?

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh. Why do you think there are no steps between "pack the gyms and bars 100% and build new hospitals by the thousands" and "lock us in our homes entirely"?
No for sure marv. To be clear I think we’re open now. . Lockdowns are shutting down “nonessential” and stay home orders of the type we saw last spring.

No for sure marv. To be clear I think we’re open now. . Lockdowns are shutting down “nonessential” and stay home orders of the type we saw last spring.

I wish a year ago we could have had a debate around "America will lose the equivalent of Boise Idaho next year to a killer, what should the country do to prevent it?". I think in the abstract, keeping bars at 50% or less would not have been controversial.
I know a lot of people that went back in to the office after the shutdown. In some cases, bosses believe working from home is terrible. In other cases the employee believes they have to be seen to get ahead. The truth is right now, offices should be working from home.

A lot of things, like working from home, masking, keeping bars at 50% or so, even closing gyms, might be enough to make a huge difference. I do not know if it would be enough, but too many of us want to live life exactly as a year ago.

It is frustrating because over and over I say I am not for massive lockdowns and it seems ignored. Sure, we may not be able to put 17,000 in Assembly Hall, I do not count that as a lockdown but maybe you do.

I wish a year ago we could have had a debate around "America will lose the equivalent of Boise Idaho next year to a killer, what should the country do to prevent it?". I think in the abstract, keeping bars at 50% or less would not have been controversial.
I know a lot of people that went back in to the office after the shutdown. In some cases, bosses believe working from home is terrible. In other cases the employee believes they have to be seen to get ahead. The truth is right now, offices should be working from home.

A lot of things, like working from home, masking, keeping bars at 50% or so, even closing gyms, might be enough to make a huge difference. I do not know if it would be enough, but too many of us want to live life exactly as a year ago.

It is frustrating because over and over I say I am not for massive lockdowns and it seems ignored. Sure, we may not be able to put 17,000 in Assembly Hall, I do not count that as a lockdown but maybe you do.
kettle, meet talking point

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT