ADVERTISEMENT

Trump plans to expand presidential power in a second term

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
Not that this is surprising news, but it can't be dismissed anymore as Trump-bashing, or stupid speculation, or left-wing media nonsense. Trump and his allies are saying it out loud.

Independent federal agencies (e.g. the Federal Trade Commission, the FCC, etc.)? Fuggetaboutit.

Civil servants? Fire the bastards for any reason - - or no reason.

Checks and balances? Don't be ridiculous.

Impound funds (refuse to spend money appropriated by Congress)? Now you're talking!

Here's what General John Kelly, Trump's former Chief of Staff, said about a Trump second term: "It would be chaotic. It just simply would be chaotic, because he’d continually be trying to exceed his authority but the sycophants would go along with it."

If you're yearning for a strongman regime in the United States, Trump's the man!

Not that this is surprising news, but it can't be dismissed anymore as Trump-bashing, or stupid speculation, or left-wing media nonsense. Trump and his allies are saying it out loud.

Independent federal agencies (e.g. the Federal Trade Commission, the FCC, etc.)? Fuggetaboutit.

Impound funds (refuse to spend money appropriated by Congress)? Now you're talking!

Here's what General John Kelly, Trump's former Chief of Staff, said about a Trump second term: "It would be chaotic. It just simply would be chaotic, because he’d continually be trying to exceed his authority but the sycophants would go along with it."

If you're yearning for a strongman regime in the United States, Trump's the man!

We already have this in Biden. Supreme Court rules “no student loan debt forgiveness”. He said fck you and did it another way.

Well, good.

The agencies described are all part of the executive branch of government. Under the Constitution, “The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America”. The federal bureaucracy has gotten way out of hand. Too much secrecy. Too much power. Too little transparency. Too little accountability. This is not a power grab at all. It’s needed reform. Congress also needs to step up and stop with all the delegation of authority to the executive department.

We already have this in Biden. Supreme Court rules “no student loan debt forgiveness”. He said fck you and did it another way.
Biden would be increasing the number of SCOTUS justices if he were acting like Trump. And if his “another way” is constitutional, then why is this overstepping his powers?

No. Student loan forgiveness remains available to a much smaller group (for example, those with 10 years in a public service position), and the administration announced that they're exploring other options under the Higher Education Act, but the $400 billion loan forgiveness program that Biden had rolled out is dead in the water. It's dead in the water because the Supreme Court said so. That's called checks and balances, and that's the way the system is supposed to work.

Biden said he believed the Court erred in its ruling. We all know what Trump would have said following a ruling he didn't like - - Judge/Justice so and so is crooked, he's a [fill in the non-United States country of origin], he's got a conflict of interest, he hates me, etc. You know what Trump hates? Checks and balances. How do I know that? He's essentially said so. "I have Article 2. I can do whatever I want as president."

Finally, Trump is running on vastly expanded presidential powers. Your Biden "whatabout" couldn't be more inapposite.

Well, good.

The agencies described are all part of the executive branch of government. Under the Constitution, “The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America”. The federal bureaucracy has gotten way out of hand. Too much secrecy. Too much power. Too little transparency. Too little accountability. This is not a power grab at all. It’s needed reform. Congress also needs to step up and stop with all the delegation of authority to the executive department.
It's absolutely a power grab. The guy has already proclaimed he can do whatever he wants as president. His objective will be to get his power grab formalized by any means possible.

You're delusional.

Reactions: outside shooter
The article quotes people in Trump's inner circle.

Stay uninformed. It suits you.
Well, for one, the New York Times is a joke and has been for awhile. If you were actually informed, you’d know that. If you want examples, they are easy to find.

Second, I’d have to create an account to read anything from them and I’m not doing that. I’m not supporting that trash in any way.

Well, for one, the New York Times is a joke and has been for awhile. If you were actually informed, you’d know that. If you want examples, they are easy to find.

Second, I’d have to create an account to read anything from them and I’m not doing that. I’m not supporting that trash in any way.
Other sites have posted the same article and not behind a pay wall.

You do realize media outlets have more than 1 journalist right? But you found 1 bad article in your opinion and now all of their articles are tarnished forever.

Or they just don't line up with your bias so Trump has trained you to say "Fake News".

Reactions: Ohio Guy and T.M.P.
If it were an opinion piece, you would have a point. It's not. It was fact-based, sourced, investigative reporting. If the persons quoted were misquoted, we would hear about it.
I’m assuming there are more but the quote included in the original post is from John Kelly, who sure as hell isn’t in Trumps inner circle.

No. Student loan forgiveness remains available to a much smaller group (for example, those with 10 years in a public service position), and the administration announced that they're exploring other options under the Higher Education Act, but the $400 billion loan forgiveness program that Biden had rolled out is dead in the water. It's dead in the water because the Supreme Court said so. That's called checks and balances, and that's the way the system is supposed to work.

Biden said he believed the Court erred in its ruling. We all know what Trump would have said following a ruling he didn't like - - Judge/Justice so and so is crooked, he's a [fill in the non-United States country of origin], he's got a conflict of interest, he hates me, etc. You know what Trump hates? Checks and balances. How do I know that? He's essentially said so. "I have Article 2. I can do whatever I want as president."

Finally, Trump is running on vastly expanded presidential powers. Your Biden "whatabout" couldn't be more inapposite.
Well you gotta give the Biden Administration credit for creativity. . That Accounting Error scam is brilliant. He sent billions to Ukraine without congressional appropriation and is forgiving student loan debt after SCOTUS said no.

I can hardly hardly wait for the next accounting error.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Well you gotta give the Biden Administration credit for creativity. . That Accounting Error scam is brilliant. He sent billions to Ukraine without congressional appropriation and is forgiving student loan debt after SCOTUS said no.

I can hardly hardly wait for the next accounting error.

if only he had used that money for fencing on the border or ppp loans ;)

Don't worry, the mexicans will pay for any student loan forgiveness.

Donald Trump has a knack for coining clever phrases such as Make America Great Again.

He can also dig up time warn phrases such as Drain the Swamp. Drain the Swamp has been around for some time as this link reminds us. It has a popular ring to it and can mean getting rid of special interest and lobbyist influence. Can also mean making changes from the top on down by reducing the power of bureaucrats.

As stated before at The Cooler, having worked with political appointees and bureaucrats, my preference goes to those bureaucrats who have learned what works versus inexperienced political appointees. Political appointees whose focus is being loyal to the politicians who appointed them. Politicians who often get elected by promising change. Changes which often have been tried before and simply are counter productive.

New York Times lol.

Won’t read.

Next.
Here's NewsMax s coverage:

Here's Business Insider's coverage:

I wouldn't want you to feel left out.

Well, good.

You wanna pick a lane and stay in it? This post is so internally inconsistent, it's threatening the stability of spacetime itself.

You wanna pick a lane and stay in it? This post is so internally inconsistent, it's threatening the stability of spacetime itself.
I’ll stick with the three branches. If you want to make a bureaucracy the fourth, maybe you ought to move. The EU has made an art form of bureaucracy and it is hurting now.

The obvious trouble with Trump's position is that there are a number of technical areas (particularly in public health) that require great investiture of time to address (for example, allowable PPM of many chemicals and hard metals in soil and drinking water).

Neither a President nor Congress have the time or education to address these. These thinhgs require expertise, training, studies, methodology. If Trump were to transfer enforcement of the Clean Water Act, for example, to the Presidency, that would essentially mean no regulation or enforcement would be done at all, and our drinking water would have even more toxic waste and other pollutants (even in Mar-a-Lago).

The obvious trouble with Trump's position is that there are a number of technical areas (particularly in public health) that require great investiture of time to address (for example, allowable PPM of many chemicals and hard metals in soil and drinking water).
Expertise has become politicized and in some cases flat out dishonest. But I agree there is a vital role for sound expert judgement.

Climate change, energy, Covid, and now adolescent sex change are and were all wildly political. We can do much better. But we can’t get to where we need to be with any Democrat. The CDC used to be the world‘s gold standard for communicable disease. Now it’s just a cog in the democratic agenda machine.

Here's NewsMax s coverage:

Here's Business Insider's coverage:

I wouldn't want you to feel left out.
Well, Newsmax cites the New York Times article and the Business Insider piece is from March of 2022.

You’re not helping. I still feel left out.

Expertise has become politicized and in some cases flat out dishonest. But I agree there is a vital role for sound expert judgement.

Climate change, energy, Covid, and now adolescent sex change are and were all wildly political. We can do much better. But we can’t get to where we need to be with any Democrat. The CDC used to be the world‘s gold standard for communicable disease. Now it’s just a cog in the democratic agenda machine.
I'll disagree a little.

The only part of climate change that remains arguably debatable is whether it is manmade or not and whether reducing carbon will reduce it. The science consists only of (1) reading a thermometer, and (2) performing sixth grade long division to determine average temperatures, using weather bureau data that goes back more than 100 years all over the U.S. it's hard to deny that the globe is warming ... for some reason. We should be prepared better.

Changes in energy usage seem to be occurring almost on their own. Consumers seem to like electric cars.

Covid is no longer the problem it was in 2020 when we knew less about it and hadn't learned how to treat it. Back then, there was a shortage of respirators, an oversupply of hospital beds in hospital corridors served by overworked health providers. It should not remain political now for anyone that focuses on today.

The only ‘independent‘ agency is The Federal Reserve system, who sets monetary policy.

All others operate under authority granted by acts of Congress. They are not intended to exceed the authority granted by the congressional act. Indeed recent EPA lawsuits were lost by the agency for exceeding authority.

These agencies are expected to accept direction from the president’s cabinet, and the presidents executive orders. They are not intended to be cabals of elite experts, making laws not voted on by Congress.

If it were an opinion piece, you would have a point. It's not. It was fact-based, sourced, investigative reporting. If the persons quoted were misquoted, we would hear about it.
Nope! Trump got all the rubes to hate the New York Times. The rubes aren’t even sure why they hate it, they just know Trump doesn’t like it, so it has to be bad.

If consumers really liked electric cars, Ford would not be losing billions on them.
As technically and manufacturing improvements come along, the prices will come down. I believe the electric F 150 model is about $15k higher than the regular F 150 of comparable trim package.

I believe there is also a factor of people simply not trusting EVs yet and/or not wanting to dick around with recharging.

And Alabama just told the Supreme Court to F off. We’re going to disenfranchise black voters as we’ve always done so we can bring back the confederacy and slavery that you know benefited those black folk. Welcome to the south. Thank the lord the Yankees kicked their sorry asses. And I actually picked Florida to retire. Didn’t know there were so many aholes here when we moved.

As technically and manufacturing improvements come along, the prices will come down. I believe the electric F 150 model is about $15k higher than the regular F 150 of comparable trim package.

I believe there is also a factor of people simply not trusting EVs yet and/or not wanting to dick around with recharging.
Stories like this are the reason I'll not be considering an EV. This would be awful.

Stories like this are the reason I'll not be considering an EV. This would be awful.

Tons of reasons not to drive an EV Bud.

Give this a read. Amazon product ASIN 1250284309

Reactions: Indianaftw
Stories like this are the reason I'll not be considering an EV.
There are so many factual errors and nonsense claims in that story that it is painful.

Nobody would ever have to pay 130K to install chargers. Tons of level 2 chargers are availble for $200 or less, and any competent electrician can install one in an hour. If his home wiring can't handle even 30-40 amps, he must be living in a log cabin from the 1800s.

Nobody would ever wait 6 months for a body shop to replace a bumper. No body shop would require 6 months to do the job.

Charging stations are easy to find all over the place that are free for the first hour, so the assertion that a charge must cost more than gas is bogus. You probably COULD find an expensive option if you were incredibly stupid.

Your in-car dashboard app gives real-time information on charger availability and working condition, even "reviews" by people who used the charger recently. I don't live in a rural area (I live on a dirt road) and there are 47 chargers free for at least the first hour within 20 miles of my house.

I don't have a full EV, I have a plug-in-hybrid bought in May, with a full gas tank from the dealer. I have yet to buy a drop of gas, and I am at 1,100 miles. In gas / hybrid mode I get about 30 mpg. 18 gallon tank thus gives me 540 miles of gas-powered range. The battery alone gives me ~30, so my normal commute is entirely gas-free.

Reactions: MrBing
Tons of reasons not to drive an EV Bud.

Give this a read.
Oil, diamonds, gold, cheap Chinese goods. This has been going since man has walked upright. Not right but this is what man does. So don’t buy your wife a diamond and don’t drive a car or buy anything from China which is a lot of stuff we need and use.

There are so many factual errors and nonsense claims in that story that it is painful.

Nobody would ever have to pay 130K to install chargers. Nobody would every wait 6 months for a body shop to replace a bumper. No body shop would require 6 months to do the job. Charging stations are easy to find all over the place that are free for the first hour, so the assertion that a charge must cost more than gas is bogus. You probably COULD find an expensive option if you were incredibly stupid. Your in-car dashboard app gives real-time information on charger availability and working condition, even "reviews" by people who used the charger recently. I don't live in a rural area (I live on a dirt road) and there are 47 chargers free for at least the first hour within 20 miles of my house.

I don't have a full EV, I have a plug-in-hybrid bought in May, with a full gas tank from the dealer. I have yet to buy a drop of gas, and I am at 1,100 miles. In gas / hybrid mode I get about 30 mpg. 18 gallon tank thus gives me 540 miles of gas-powered range. The battery alone gives me ~30, so my normal commute is entirely gas-free.
Bought new a 2015 Lexus ES300h hybrid. Get 38 mpg. We’ve owned 4 Lexus and have never had to spend on anything but tires and oil changes. Best cars ever made. Waiting on Lexus to make a EV sedan. Will buy it as maybe my last vehicle. Want to never have to pump gas again. Live in Southwest Florida and we have charging stations around the area.

Reactions: outside shooter
Bought new a 2015 Lexus ES300h hybrid.
Toyota does make the best hybrids, with their experience in the sector. My new car is a Mazda CX-90 PHEV. I love it but the mileage is a little less than say a Highlander, though the plug-in feature is great for my normal commute. I had considered a Highlander but the local dealers were so very unhelpful with locating one in their network meeting my specs and they were pricing what they had way way WAY over invoice.

There is also some noise about a new Toyota battery that could get 750 miles of range, which would be a game-changer.

I will never buy anything other than a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or straight EV, unless it is a weekend "fun car".

Nobody would ever have to pay 130K to install chargers. Tons of level 2 chargers are availble for $200 or less, and any competent electrician can install one in an hour. If his home wiring can't handle even 30-40 amps, he must be living in a log cabin from the 1800s.

Nobody would ever wait 6 months for a body shop to replace a bumper. No body shop would require 6 months to do the job.

Charging stations are easy to find all over the place that are free for the first hour, so the assertion that a charge must cost more than gas is bogus. You probably COULD find an expensive option if you were incredibly stupid.

Your in-car dashboard app gives real-time information on charger availability and working condition, even "reviews" by people who used the charger recently. I don't live in a rural area (I live on a dirt road) and there are 47 chargers free for at least the first hour within 20 miles of my house.

Its not worth arguing over...Try getting out of a back seat of a Tesla if you lose power.

Its not worth arguing over...Try getting out of a back seat of a Tesla if you lose power.
You would have to be an enormous dumbass to ever lose power in any Tesla. On their dash set-up, I'm told the nearest charger and your remaining juice is as easy to find as is your current speed.

Bought new a 2015 Lexus ES300h hybrid. Get 38 mpg. We’ve owned 4 Lexus and have never had to spend on anything but tires and oil changes. Best cars ever made. Waiting on Lexus to make a EV sedan. Will buy it as maybe my last vehicle. Want to never have to pump gas again. Live in Southwest Florida and we have charging stations around the area.
Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura are far and away the most well-built and reliable cars you can buy. They will run for-goddamn-ever. In my experience, outside of having to do regular maintenance (oil changes, tuneups) they just don’t break down. Not that some GM and Ford models can’t go 200k or more, but it’s nothing to squeeze 400k out of a Toyota or Honda. I still have a Camry from the early 90s with close to 400k and you can’t even tell the damn thing is running when it’s on. Hell I’ve only had to put freon in it once in 30 years. Most reliable backup vehicle I’ve ever had.

Toyota does make the best hybrids, with their experience in the sector. My new car is a Mazda CX-90 PHEV. I love it but the mileage is a little less than say a Highlander, though the plug-in feature is great for my normal commute. I had considered a Highlander but the local dealers were so very unhelpful with locating one in their network meeting my specs and they were pricing what they had way way WAY over invoice.

There is also some noise about a new Toyota battery that could get 750 miles of range, which would be a game-changer.

I will never buy anything other than a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or straight EV, unless it is a weekend "fun car".
Same here. But my wife may not be ready for an EV. She has an Audi Q5. I wanted her to buy the Lexus SUV but she liked the Audi better. We don’t really like it like we thought we would. I’m a straight sedan guy.

The typical EV buyer is well educated, well off, own one or two other cars, and use the EV to run errands. The used car market in EV’s is nil and used cars is where 75-80% of the vehicle market is. One stat that surprised me is that 40% of all EV’s are sold in California. EV’s lose substantial efficiency in very cold or very hot weather. Yet Biden public policy ( repeated a few days ago) is to saturate all of the US with charging stations.

EV’s are headed toward a head on collision with reality. They are not suitable as basic transportation for the vast majority of people.

The typical EV buyer is well educated, well off, own one or two other cars, and use the EV to run errands. The used car market in EV’s is nil and used cars is where 75-80% of the vehicle market is. One stat that surprised me is that 40% of all EV’s are sold in California. EV’s lose substantial efficiency in very cold or very hot weather. Yet Biden public policy ( repeated a few days ago) is to saturate all of the US with charging stations.

EV’s are headed toward a head on collision with reality. They are not suitable as basic transportation for the vast majority of people.
So you know more than GM and Ford and other major automakers when it comes to this. They are investing billions to move solely to EV’s and away from fossil fuels. Oh and by the way one of the most valuable companies on the planet is Tesla. Too bad you weren’t there to defend the horse and buggy makers when the horseless carriage came to be.

Reactions: Circlejoe
So you know more than GM and Ford and other major automakers when it comes to this. They are investing billions to move solely to EV’s and away from fossil fuels. Oh and by the way one of the most valuable companies on the planet is Tesla. Too bad you weren’t there to defend the horse and buggy makers when the horseless carriage came to be.
Tesla is doing well and pretty much owns the market. Inventories of other brands is growing. fast. The investment is in response to Biden Adm rules and regs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT