ADVERTISEMENT

Six weeks we will never get back, no matter what happens now

This is among the best I have read in listing the timeline and they ways we were failed by Trump during this crisis. I don’t see how you can find much to disagree with the facts here, but I’m sure there will be. No matter what is done now, that time we had to prepare for this was wasted and lives lost. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/28/trump-coronavirus-politics-us-health-disaster

I'm sure there will be plenty of post-mortems written in coming years regarding this calamity.

Trump has fumbled and massively failed. He continues to blow in the wind on a daily basis.... pivoting from one piece of nonsense to another.

This will all sadly become widely apparent over the next month. It was always obvious he should have never had this job.

The bootlickers will be here soon enough, with their excuses.

I'm sure there will be plenty of post-mortems written in coming years regarding this calamity.

Trump has fumbled and massively failed. He continues to blow in the wind on a daily basis.... pivoting from one piece of nonsense to another.

This will all sadly become widely apparent over the next month. It was always obvious he should have never had this job.

While I think the President has been an utter failure in dealing with this situation, ultimately there will be a lot of people who made mistakes along the way as well once the final assessment comes in. De Blasio and Cuomo misread the situation back in late January-early February. DeSantis likewise misread things early on. I'm not sure who reacted poorly in Louisiana, but New Orleans is a huge hotspot because of activities that continued there.

The huge differences are that most of those people have stepped up and been responsible and effective since late January-early February and they aren't in the ultimate "buck stops here" position of leadership. The President continues to be an utter disaster who is completely unprepared and poorly equipped to handle a situation like this.

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
The huge differences are that most of those people have stepped up and been responsible and effective since late January-early February and they aren't in the ultimate "buck stops here" position of leadership. The President continues to be an utter disaster who is completely unprepared and poorly equipped to handle a situation like this.
What's worse, he blames others for his failure.
What I really cringe is his infantile name-calling:
Sleepy Joe
1 percent Biden
Mini Mike (Bloomberg)
Mr. Tough Guy Bolton
Low energy Jeb
Crazy Hilary
Corrupt Kaine
Cheatin Obama
Little Pencilneck (Adam Schiff)
Crooked Adam Schiff
Jeff Bozo
Dopey Mark Cuban
Deface the Nation
Meet the Depressed
Meet the Corrupt Press
Morning Joke
etc.
etc., and of course
Chinese Virus

Has there ever been a president of the United States, or any so-called world leader for that matter, come down this low, that is, until our current so-called president? Can anybody defend this infantile behaviour?

Sleepy Joe
1 percent Biden
Mini Mike (Bloomberg)
Mr. Tough Guy Bolton
Low energy Jeb
Crazy Hilary
Corrupt Kaine
Cheatin Obama
Crooked Adam Schiff
Jeff Bozo
Dopey Mark Cuban
Deface the Nation
Meet the Depressed
Meet the Corrupt Press
Morning Joke
etc.
etc., and of course
Chinese Virus

Has there ever been a president of the United States, or any so-called world leader for that matter, come down this low, that is, until our current so-called president? Can anybody defend this infantile behaviour?

When somebody blames everyone around them for problems, it's pretty to easy to see where the problem lies.

Bootlickers, huh.

Well, here's the deal, (channelling Biden here so you won't lose interest), we were woefully unprepared for a pandemic of this magnitude. We shouldn't have been. It wan't Trump's fault. According to one study I posted a few days ago, we were still best in the world at this.

I posted before about a some programs and seminars I attended about disaster. At one of those, I had a side bar conversation with one of the FEMA reps and asked him about what was the worst disaster we could have. He quickly answered pandemic. I then asked why pandemic wasn't part of the program, instead the focus was on weather, earthquakes etc. His answer was that pandemics were too rare to have relevance. Earthquakes and weather happen more or less constantly here and around the world.

We are learning more and more about how CDC,* FDA, and other federal agencies were caught flat-footed. And how the bureaucracy and "Washington Way" prevented a quick and agile response in many respects.

Many don't understand how important state and local government is in disaster response and recovery. Governors Newsom, Cuomo and others get it. Governors like Whitmer have no clue. If you really want to see chaos try to have the feds take over emergency response health care of all hospitals. That seems to be what some wanted with this pandemic. I have hands-on experience with a few federally declared natural disasters. The first and most severe was the Big Thompson flash flood of 1976. The debris cleanup was a huge issue. Local government did all the contracting, secured all the easements, and found and purchased the dump sites for the debris. State government pitched in with body recovery, highway reopening, water and sewer, and other health and safety needs. The Feds through FEMA provided the money and 30,000' guidance. That is a good way to deal with the recovery. The Feds simply don't have the depth of local knowledge and ability to handle all of that. I think the health care response to COVID-19 is similar. The locals need to take front line responsibility--particularly when the issues touch the entire country. The locals must step up.

That US News link certainly checks all the anti-Trump boxes and applies them to this pandemic. I didn't see a discussion anywhere of Trump's early appointment of the task force and Fauci's comment that Trump followed all the task force's recommendations. I don't disagree that Trump shoots his mouth off, as is usual. I wish he wouldn't do that. But if anybody who is an important local decision maker says that influenced their decisions aren't very good at their job. The expert advice from Washington doesn't flow through Trump. I know that, so should they.

*Back when mass gun shootings wee the crisis du jour, some in congress proposed to have the CDC study the mass shootings and propose remedies as part of its mission. I strongly objected on the basis it would dilute the CDC primary disease mission, and said so here. The usual, liberal simple thinkers here climbed all over me for that. Turns out the CDC didn't have its stuff together in its assigned mission.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
While I think the President has been an utter failure in dealing with this situation, ultimately there will be a lot of people who made mistakes along the way as well once the final assessment comes in. De Blasio and Cuomo misread the situation back in late January-early February. DeSantis likewise misread things early on. I'm not sure who reacted poorly in Louisiana, but New Orleans is a huge hotspot because of activities that continued there.

The buck stops.....over there.

Bootlickers, huh.

Well, here's the deal, (channelling Biden here so you won't lose interest), we were woefully unprepared for a pandemic of this magnitude. We shouldn't have been. It wan't Trump's fault. According to one study I posted a few days ago, we were still best in the world at this.

I posted before about a some programs and seminars I attended about disaster. At one of those, I had a side bar conversation with one of the FEMA reps and asked him about what was the worst disaster we could have. He quickly answered pandemic. I then asked why pandemic wasn't part of the program, instead the focus was on weather, earthquakes etc. His answer was that pandemics were too rare to have relevance. Earthquakes and weather happen more or less constantly here and around the world.

We are learning more and more about how CDC,* FDA, and other federal agencies were caught flat-footed. And how the bureaucracy and "Washington Way" prevented a quick and agile response in many respects.

Many don't understand how important state and local government is in disaster response and recovery. Governors Newsom, Cuomo and others get it. Governors like Whitmer have no clue. If you really want to see chaos try to have the feds take over emergency response health care of all hospitals. That seems to be what some wanted with this pandemic. I have hands-on experience with a few federally declared natural disasters. The first and most severe was the Big Thompson flash flood of 1976. The debris cleanup was a huge issue. Local government did all the contracting, secured all the easements, and found and purchased the dump sites for the debris. State government pitched in with body recovery, highway reopening, water and sewer, and other health and safety needs. The Feds through FEMA provided the money and 30,000' guidance. That is a good way to deal with the recovery. The Feds simply don't have the depth of local knowledge and ability to handle all of that. I think the health care response to COVID-19 is similar. The locals need to take front line responsibility--particularly when the issues touch the entire country. The locals must step up.

That US News link certainly checks all the anti-Trump boxes and applies them to this pandemic. I didn't see a discussion anywhere of Trump's early appointment of the task force and Fauci's comment that Trump followed all the task force's recommendations. I don't disagree that Trump shoots his mouth off, as is usual. I wish he wouldn't do that. But if anybody who is an important local decision maker says that influenced their decisions aren't very good at their job. The expert advice from Washington doesn't flow through Trump. I know that, so should they.

*Back when mass gun shootings wee the crisis du jour, some in congress proposed to have the CDC study the mass shootings and propose remedies as part of its mission. I strongly objected on the basis it would dilute the CDC primary disease mission, and said so here. The usual, liberal simple thinkers here climbed all over me for that. Turns out the CDC didn't have its stuff together in its assigned mission.

Sleepy Joe
1 percent Biden
Mini Mike (Bloomberg)
Mr. Tough Guy Bolton
Low energy Jeb
Crazy Hilary
Corrupt Kaine
Cheatin Obama
Crooked Adam Schiff
Jeff Bozo
Dopey Mark Cuban
Deface the Nation
Meet the Depressed
Meet the Corrupt Press
Morning Joke
etc.
etc., and of course
Chinese Virus

Has there ever been a president of the United States, or any so-called world leader for that matter, come down this low, that is, until our current so-called president? Can anybody defend this infantile behaviour?[/QUOTE
my political arguments with friends who are Trump supporters go like this:
Me: give me the name of any accomplishment that Trump claims and I will refute it. But if it’s something he’s done right I will admit it.

In the end of it when I have refuted everything that my friend has argued they will counter with the following:

Them: you just hate Donald Trump.

And then they say they have to get off the phone.

This is among the best I have read in listing the timeline and they ways we were failed by Trump during this crisis. I don’t see how you can find much to disagree with the facts here, but I’m sure there will be. No matter what is done now, that time we had to prepare for this was wasted and lives lost. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/28/trump-coronavirus-politics-us-health-disaster
The President has done a very good job during this crisis. He cut off flights coming in from China, tried to keep people from going to Europe. He's got good people in places to do their jobs. Democrat Governors of NY and CA praised him and Pence for their work. If we didn't have the Trump Economy at first then we would be in so much more trouble. I predict President Trump will be reelected by a landslide because the American people knows through this crisis that we have a real leader in charge who gets results.

The President has done a very good job during this crisis. He cut off flights coming in from China, tried to keep people from going to Europe. He's got good people in places to do their jobs. Democrat Governors of NY and CA praised him and Pence for their work. If we didn't have the Trump Economy at first then we would be in so much more trouble. I predict President Trump will be reelected by a landslide because the American people knows through this crisis that we have a real leader in charge who gets results.

Glad you posted. Now it's a guarantee that Trump will be gone after Nov...

Thanks for the laugh.

Now for the love of God, quit having church services.

He hasn’t done good, but neither have most developed countries, so how much is truly his failure vs unavoidable circumstances? It very well could be that Trump AND leaders of other countries all equally failed humanity.

I’m specifically referring to Switzerland, Spain, Belgium, France, etc. It clearly caught many off guard.

You didn’t read the article. But then again, what would one expect from someone who doesn’t believe in science and continues to gather in large groups to preach? Pathetic.

He hasn’t done good, but neither have most developed countries, so how much is truly his failure vs unavoidable circumstances? It very well could be that Trump AND leaders of other countries all equally failed humanity.

I’m specifically referring to Switzerland, Spain, Belgium, France, etc. It clearly caught many off guard.
The point of the article is that we had much more time and did nothing with it.

Bootlickers, huh.

My God.

Bootlickers, huh.

Wow.

Saying that the virus was a hoax and doing nothing to prepare is honestly my biggest problem with how Trump handled the situation

A simple fact to remember:

March 2nd, USA had 100 cases only. And 26 days later, it's nearly 120,000 cases.

Textbook exponential growth. So yes, every hour delayed prior to that would have counted.

The month of March isn't even over yet.

I have stated a while ago, it's all about leadership or not as in this case.
"Being president, doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are."

No idea..... you saying it doesn't matter what the President says or believes?

No I'm not saying that. I'm talking about what should matter to those who should matter.

As for the rest of us, anybody who decided not to wash their hands because Trump said something overly optimistic are probably the type of people who think fish tank cleaner is a cure.

Surprised you didn't mention how Trump KNEW it was a pandemic from the start. Wonder why he went out of his way to convince the rest of us there was nothing to worry about?

Esp what he said in the aftermath of that secret briefing the Intelligence Services/CDC held for the Senate Intelligence Committee on Jan 24th? You know the briefing that caused Chairman Burr and Senator Loeffler to run out and start liquidating their stock shares? I mean Loeffler claims her shares were sold by a "blind trust" and she had no input in the decision, but her actions indicate at minimum a huge disconnect with what she said publicly...

Let's look at the FACTS, regarding Loeffler's actions following the Jan 24th briefing...

" On the very day of the committee’s coronavirus briefing, she began her own stock sell-off, as originally reported by The Daily Beast. Over the next three weeks, she shed between $1,275,000 and $3.1 million worth of stock, much of it jointly owned with her husband, who is the chairman of the New York Stock Exchange. Of Ms. Loeffler’s 29 transactions, 27 were sales. One of her two purchases was of a technology company that provides teleworking software. That stock has appreciated in recent weeks, as so many companies have ordered employees to work from home."

So let's summarize. Loeffler was briefed about the seriousness of the situation on Jan 24th. For the next 3 weeks (starting Jan 24th) she sold off nearly $3 Million worth of stocks.Burr sold off nearly $2 Million of his own holdings (including 3 Hotel chains) starting with Feb 13.

So while Top GOP Senators were selling off stocks, Trump was saying...

Jan. 30: “We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five — and those people are all recuperating successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for us … that I can assure you.” — Trump in a speech in Michigan.

Feb. 10: “Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.” — Trump at the White House. (See our item “Will the New Coronavirus ‘Go Away’ in April?“)

Feb. 14: “There’s a theory that, in April, when it gets warm — historically, that has been able to kill the virus. So we don’t know yet; we’re not sure yet. But that’s around the corner.” — Trump in speaking to National Border Patrol Council members.

Feb. 23: “We have it very much under control in this country.” — Trump in speaking to reporters.

Feb. 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!” — Trump in a tweet.

Feb. 26: “So we’re at the low level. As they get better, we take them off the list, so that we’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.” — Trump at a White House briefing.

Feb. 26: “And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.” — Trump at a press conference."

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-statements-about-the-coronavirus/

Yep, THAT is definitely a leader LOL... The only person more shameful in the disconnect between their ACTIONS and PUBLIC COMMENTS was Kelly Loeffler...

"Even as she was shedding shares, Ms. Loeffler was talking down the threat of the coronavirus. “Democrats have dangerously and intentionally misled the American people on Coronavirus readiness,” she tweeted on Feb. 28, assuring the public that the president and his team “are doing a great job working to keep Americans healthy & safe.”

As anxiety spread, she talked up the economy. “Concerned about the #coronavirus?” she tweeted on March 10. “Remember this: The consumer is strong, the economy is strong & jobs are growing, which puts us in the best economic position to tackle #COVID19 & keep Americans safe.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-burr-loeffler-stocks.html

Last edited:

How about he could have been honest. He received the briefings In January and then downplayed the threat. He owns that.

That is more or less true. What institutions or people do you think shoud have done more and what should they have done?
I think we should have had all the proper equipment in place, we should have been making more ventilators, we obviously should have had many , many more tests ready , masks, and hazmat. We should have been working with the countries who have already had it, sending a team to China and particularly South Korea to see what and how we could coordinate. Preparing the American public for what was coming. Off the top of my head...

That is more or less true. What institutions or people do you think shoud have done more and what should they have done?

The comparison in the article with South Korea's leadership is stark.

"Within a week of its first confirmed case, South Korea’s disease control agency had summoned 20 private companies to the medical equivalent of a war-planning summit and told them to develop a test for the virus at lightning speed. A week after that, the first diagnostic test was approved and went into battle, identifying infected individuals who could then be quarantined to halt the advance of the disease."

and...

"The US response tells a different story. Two days after the first diagnosis in Washington state, Donald Trump went on air on CNBC and bragged: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming from China. It’s going to be just fine.”"
It turns out we were far from having it under control. Leadership would have mattered.

I think we should have had all the proper equipment in place, we should have been making more ventilators, we obviously should have had many , many more tests ready , masks, and hazmat. We should have been working with the countries who have already had it, sending a team to China and particularly South Korea to see what and how we could coordinate. Preparing the American public for what was coming. Off the top of my head...
Are you kidding? Sending a team to a 3rd world country to learn Chinese disease? That is very unAmerican!

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
From a speech in N Carolina where he said:

“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it.
We did done of the great jobs, you say, “How’s President Trump doing?”, “Oh, nothing, nothing.” They have no clue, they don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa, they can’t even count. No, they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.” That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over, they’ve been doing it since he got in. It’s all turning, they lost. It’s all turning, think of it, think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

Whatever you want to call them, did they make you stop washing your hands?

None of that is relevant........ again bootlickers will keep licking. You couldn't have created a President in a laboratory more ill equipped for this scenario.

It's all going to be extremely apparent in this coming month, sadly. I have local nurses on Next Door asking neighbors to make masks out of bandanas.....as they are already dangerously low in their hospital.... in a region that's only just starting to have cases show up in decent numbers. If that's not a complete and total failure of government planning, I don't know what is.

Instead the federal govt was asleep at the wheel for 6 weeks.

And then we he does speak.... he causes even more problems.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT