ADVERTISEMENT

Doing the opposite of Trump has consequences

Where did DBM explain something? Can you point me to it?

Trump isn't a true conservative, there has been a difference between populists/nativists and conservatives. William Buckley saw that and worked hard to keep the populists out of the party. But now Trump is seen as the ideal conservative, and the Aloha's are out. The definition has changed because nativists know "conservative" sounds more appealing than "populist".

You can read about the Birch Society below and how it's conspiracy laden beliefs are so similar to modern MAGA belief. Birchers were all in on Laetrile because big medicine was suppressing it to make more money. Sound familiar? Or how about the assassination attempts on Ford were orchestrated by Ford himself to gain sympathy. Sound familiar?

I asked him long ago and he posted it. Protectionism. Not being policeman to the world. Etc

Reactions: DANC
Just answer where am I wrong? if he makes a comment that his followers wouldn't dump him if he killed someone how is it not making fun of his followers? How is that NOT a cult of personality? Easy questions no one is tackling.

Let me replace it this way, if I made a post with this line "Mark will love anything I post, even "I LOVE TRUMP" how is that not saying Mark is in my cult of personality?
Because his followers are not too stupid to understand what he meant and aren’t intentionally looking to drive nails with a AMRAM missile.

To explain for you, I don’t really think you own an AMRAM missile .

• Haha
8cnh7e.jpg

Because his followers are not too stupid to understand what he meant and aren’t intentionally looking to drive nails with a AMRAM missile.

To explain for you, I don’t really think you own an AMRAM missile .

Explain what he meant then. You know exactly it, what was it?

Just answer where am I wrong? if he makes a comment that his followers wouldn't dump him if he killed someone how is it not making fun of his followers? How is that NOT a cult of personality? Easy questions no one is tackling.

Let me replace it this way, if I made a post with this line "Mark will love anything I post, even "I LOVE TRUMP" how is that not saying Mark is in my cult of personality?
It is a cult of personality. So was Knight/IU fans to an extent. I know--I was a part of it.

As I explained, Trump used that metaphor to show how strong his base is. Trump didnt' think through (shocking!) the ways in which it could be interpreted negatively. He doesn't care. His supporters understood what he was saying. If we were all sittin in a bar talking, we would understand what he was saying, too. That's how Trump talks. You can point out how ironic it is, how it could be interpreted the other way, and they are just going to say "meh, who cares? Let's focus on getting things done."

The love for Trump is a lot like the past love of Bobby Knight. Both were bombastic. Both did things that those in normal society/social situations would not do/would cringe at (I'm leaving out the sexual abuse allegations here). Both can be funny.

But most importantly both offered their supporters an identity (not intentionally, instead there was a group that wanted an avatar for their identity and they latched onto their guy). That is powerful, powerful stuff. It goes way beyond individual political or policy issues, or winning or losing at the polls, as we saw in the last 7-8 years (25% of his time at IU) of Knight's tournament results. Knight was beloved for more than just winning--he was "worshipped" because he stood for hard work, nose to the grindstone, toughness, doing things "the right way"--i.e. focus on fundamentals, etc., lack of glamour or eliteness, loyalty, smart play over just pure talent, etc. It's no accident these are traits that Midwesterners feel sets them apart from East Coast elites, West Coast hippies, et al.

And I think Trump's personality, his humor, his crassness, his willingness to "speak his mind" in simple terms, and his focus on China stealing stuff from us, the liberal elites cheating us, rigging the system, etc. hit the MAGA voter right where they felt it. They felt "heard." The more the educated institutions, the press took aim at him, the more they felt like Trump was one of them, a group persecuted or ignored by Washington and the "elites." (maybe slightly analagous to the NCAA going after IU with Alford? When Myles Brand--elitist intellectual--went after Knight?). Of course, the indictments have only heightened that (remember, before all the indictments, Trump looked like he was on the way out, and DeSantis was going to be the front runner).

It is a cult of personality. So was Knight/IU fans to an extent. I know--I was a part of it.

As I explained, Trump used that metaphor to show how strong his base is. Trump didnt' think through (shocking!) the ways in which it could be interpreted negatively. He doesn't care. His supporters understood what he was saying. If we were all sittin in a bar talking, we would understand what he was saying, too. That's how Trump talks. You can point out how ironic it is, how it could be interpreted the other way, and they are just going to say "meh, who cares? Let's focus on getting things done."

The love for Trump is a lot like the past love of Bobby Knight. Both were bombastic. Both did things that those in normal society/social situations would not do/would cringe at (I'm leaving out the sexual abuse allegations here). Both can be funny.

But most importantly both offered their supporters an identity (not intentionally, instead there was a group that wanted an avatar for their identity and they latched onto their guy). That is powerful, powerful stuff. It goes way beyond individual political or policy issues, or winning or losing at the polls, as we saw in the last 7-8 years (25% of his time at IU) of Knight's tournament results. Knight was beloved for more than just winning--he was "worshipped" because he stood for hard work, nose to the grindstone, toughness, doing things "the right way"--i.e. focus on fundamentals, etc., lack of glamour or eliteness, loyalty, smart play over just pure talent, etc. It's no accident these are traits that Midwesterners feel sets them apart from East Coast elites, West Coast hippies, et al.

And I think Trump's personality, his humor, his crassness, his willingness to "speak his mind" in simple terms, and his focus on China stealing stuff from us, the liberal elites cheating us, rigging the system, etc. hit the MAGA voter right where they felt it. They felt "heard." The more the educated institutions, the press took aim at him, the more they felt like Trump was one of them, a group persecuted or ignored by Washington and the "elites." (maybe slightly analagous to the NCAA going after IU with Alford? When Myles Brand--elitist intellectual--went after Knight?). Of course, the indictments have only heightened that (remember, before all the indictments, Trump looked like he was on the way out, and DeSantis was going to be the front runner).
Perfectly stated

Yup.

"Authenticity is the key, and Clinton’s attempt at making popular cultural references aimed at younger voters always sounded flat. Similarly, just as Hillary’s Twitter account was clearly written by a group of insufferable Ivy League graduates, especially crafted for the election strategy, Trump’s tweets were obviously written by the mad bastard himself; they were authentic, just as he was authentic, and, despite his immense faults as a human being, also very funny."

The analogy to Knight is, with all due respect, absurd. The term (cult of personality) doesn't apply to sports figures or Hall of Fame coaches (who are/were "worshiped" by their fan bases) like Knight, Paterno, Bowden, Wooden, or Saban. The term applies to idealized political leaders who combine charisma, patriotism, mass demonstrations and propaganda to lead, influence and control their followers. It has a decidedly negative connotation.

But why would he bombastically insult his own people unless there was SOME truth to it? I am not saying he literally could walk outside and shoot someone, that isn't the point. The point is he knows his people will defend him from almost anything. Look at the huge Trump people here, no matter what it is he said or does, they accept it 100%.

Take a look at this:

His position as the pageant’s owner entitled him to that kind of access, Trump explained, seemingly aware that what he was doing made the women uncomfortable. “You know, no men are anywhere. And I’m allowed to go in because I’m the owner of the pageant. And therefore I’m inspecting it… Is everyone OK? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. And you see these incredible-looking women. And so I sort of get away with things like that,” he said.​
So he says he walks around backstage at Miss Teen USA and sees them nude. Throw in that there are former contestants who say that is exactly what happened. And yet some here are positively certain Clinton was involced with Epstein and NO WAY Trump was involved.

The point of the shoot-someone story is he knows he is followed by sycophants. That is the point of the "joke" or the "bombast". Not that it is literal in the shooting sense.
Oh that’s been one of the disgusting things I heard about him years ago. While he throws out pedophile names to others. The king of gaslighting.

Dbm explained why re trump. He really isn’t the same as a “rino.” He’s closer to a Dem. As I said there should be more parties. The two party system is broken. I don’t like the Romney bush types either
There is no way Dbe did anything except post some nonsensical tweet. I need to see it.

There is no way Dbe did anything except post some nonsensical tweet. I need to see it.
I can’t take the time to find it but he really did. I called him out. I agree with trump more than bush McCain Romney types. I would vote for a centrist Dem before them

OK, what part of that still isn't insulting his followers as following him no matter what outrageous thing he does? Again, that's the kernel of truth. No matter what he says, his supporters back him. Isn't that the very definition of a cult of personality? And Trump's bombastic style fits right in. Isn't that the way several North Korean dictators have spoken, that they are so great and perfect?

I would vote for almost any Democrat over Biden, he has exceeded his sell-by date. Manchin, yes. Newsome, yes. Beshear, yes. Sherrod Brown, yes. Whitmer, yes. Kelly, yes. Trump's backers aren't that way, they want Trump and no one else.
“Exceeded his sell by date”.

Very nice.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Where did DBM explain something? Can you point me to it?

Trump isn't a true conservative, there has been a difference between populists/nativists and conservatives. William Buckley saw that and worked hard to keep the populists out of the party. But now Trump is seen as the ideal conservative, and the Aloha's are out. The definition has changed because nativists know "conservative" sounds more appealing than "populist".

You can read about the Birch Society below and how it's conspiracy laden beliefs are so similar to modern MAGA belief. Birchers were all in on Laetrile because big medicine was suppressing it to make more money. Sound familiar? Or how about the assassination attempts on Ford were orchestrated by Ford himself to gain sympathy. Sound familiar?

No they never left. Pat Buchanan, which was Trump before Trump, won the GOP primary in New Hampshire in 1996, for example. Running on a basically identical platform as Trump. So this is nothing new. Too bad these shitheads didn't stay in their Reform Party.

Not sure which thread to put this in, but here’s more evidence Trump is a dick:

Why should he tiptoe around Carter? He's not gonna pull punches against guys calling his win illegitimate...

Not sure which thread to put this in, but here’s more evidence Trump is a dick:

Why must former presidents engage in these performative niceties towards each other? Carter stunk, call a spade a spade.

I’m sure he’s a super nice guy. That and a quarter, will still get you a failed presidency that working Americans had to eat the brunt of.

If you soft peddle shit, you end up with more shit.

Why must former presidents engage in these performative niceties towards each other? Carter stunk, call a spade a spade.

I’m sure he’s a super nice guy. That and a quarter, will still get you a failed presidency that working Americans had to eat the brunt of.

Oh but he was so darn nice while making Americans lives terrible. "equity" .
Sure I lost an eye, but man those where some sharp glasses, before they broke.

He's 99, on his death bed, and his wife just died. There's a time and a place, Gig. You'll learn this as you age.

Respect and civility is something I look for in a leader.

I did not realize he was in Hospice. Perhaps he could’ve held off.
Could have…. Ummm yea. Trump….. no way in hell. If I’m with the Donald I say, WTF dipshit??
It would stop him though and he knows that all it would do is open himself up to a different type of attacks from the left.
They’ve pulled every, or even made up new dirty tricks from whole cloth on him. Donnie was a dick before, but the left made him the rabid dog that’s backed into a corner with no way out except to fight.

OK, what part of that still isn't insulting his followers as following him no matter what outrageous thing he does? Again, that's the kernel of truth. No matter what he says, his supporters back him. Isn't that the very definition of a cult of personality? And Trump's bombastic style fits right in. Isn't that the way several North Korean dictators have spoken, that they are so great and perfect?

I would vote for almost any Democrat over Biden, he has exceeded his sell-by date. Manchin, yes. Newsome, yes. Beshear, yes. Sherrod Brown, yes. Whitmer, yes. Kelly, yes. Trump's backers aren't that way, they want Trump and no one else.
That's not true. Well, it's true Trump backers want Trump and no one else, but they would certainly vote Republican against virtually any other Democrat, especially Joe.

All the media bullshit about Trump voters staying home if he's not the nominee is just to make Trump backers look like a cult. We're not a cult - but we do recognize Trump as the MAGA leader - why wouldn't we? A few would stay home, just as some leftists will not vote for Biden because he's promoting genocide in Palestine (not my words).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT