ADVERTISEMENT

Shouldn’t take this long to build it

It’s a stupid detection device. Anyone that says Sampson shouldn’t have been fired is going to peg the meter because the NCCA slapped a five year show cause penalty in Sampson. IU couldn’t keep him and no college team could hire him. The mistake was IU’s for hiring him and Sampson cheating again despite promising not to (the man has no integrity). There was no mistake in firing him because IU had no choice. It was the right thing to do as well, but that is irrelevant.
Everyone leaves out the show cause portion. No way around that one.

I think the problem posters have understanding your though process & the thought processes of others who are in your same camp over this season's final results is, IU BB does not exist to please you in any way. Pleasing you & others is not the goal of IU BB. Yet, you & others seem to think the BB Program should in some way please you. I think what most of your detractors are trying to say to you, buckle up & try to enjoy the ride. If not then, maybe you should pick another team to follow? A team that will make you happier than what IU BB does. Your constant complaining in no way, will ever have have a positive effect on changing the performance of IU BB.
He’s not a real fan.

Believe.

This is a bad take.
One shouldnt be basing firing a coach based on comparing him to other team's success around the country. One should be basing it on that coaches isolated work with what he has to work with.

But actually yes, more coaches should be fired around the league for producing "stagnant" work imo.
Calipari and Painter are two I can think of right off the top of my head.
But not my school, not my problem
Smh. He took over a 12 win team that had not made the tournament in 5 years. He has won 21 and 23 games his first 2 and made the tournament both years. Woodson’s results have been good.

Give me a viable replacement
Chris Beard (probs not viable to my idiot alma mater), Michael Lewis, Dusty May, Dane Fife- let’s not act like no one will come when it’s clearly time- it isn’t time now in my view. But I do see next year as critical for Woody’s tenure. Coaches today don’t get 6 seasons to build a program, we struggle next year and every kid in the country will give Trayce Jackson Davis credit for our two marginally successful seasons. Woody has lots of work to do. I’m age 57 and don’t want to work as hard as he will have to work, but I’m not paid like a D1 hoops coach either.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Since we are talking coaches that are not needed at IU and same as 6 years ago, I still like Mitch Henderson. Maybe in 5 years, he'll be a good replacement for Woody when he hangs it up.

My point was they should.
A good coach should be able to overachieve with less, not underachieve with more
The 1989 & 2012 teams were overachievers in the regular season and bowed out in the Sweet 16. The 2002 squad was unranked in the final AP Poll, but was only #22 in the pre-season poll. They never were ranked higher than #20, but did spend the last few weeks of the season ranked before falling out in the final poll. Regardless, they were massive overachievers when it counted most and nearly hung banner #6.

That 1989 team was a huge surprise as they were picked to finish 9th (of 10) in the Big 10 by Street & Smith's, which was the go to College Basketball magazine in those days. I'm going by memory on that, so I could be wrong about it being 9th. It don't even sound right to me and I lost my collection of Street & Smith's in a move a few years ago. I'm sure some of the other old timers here will correct me if I'm wrong :)

The 2012 team is technically an overachiever, but in my own personal rankings I had them #22 pre-season.

Anyway, I think this is one of the interesting things about being an IU basketball fan. We have very rarely been surprised in a good way. It has become my top criteria in my own personal coach evaluation checklist. Just once lets be better than everyone thinks we're supposed to be.

Look at Penn State they had a few portal guys and took a huge jump. If we can land some guys we can be very competitive we have a couple pieces just need more speed and shooting. I know for one thing a healthy X and Galloway we will have very good on the ball defense something JHS was not good at.

We need better and more hungry players.

This group didn’t care if they won or lost and it was obvious with their play down the stretch.
I rewatched the first 8 minutes of the second half from the other night. We had multiple chances to take probably a 7-10 point lead against Miami. The Kopp horrible shot was a killer . Several really bad pass turnovers when it was tied or we were up. Then no box out from anyone on a missed three and Wong comes right in and grabs the ball for an easy layup. After that we were done. Not saying we would of won but we had chances to stay in that game.

Eric Musselman could reach 3 consecutive Final 8’s with an Arkansas win this week. It’s a program that reached only 5 NCAA tournaments over an 18 year span with 4 different head coaches. At Nevada, he won 76% of games coached and made it to a Final 16. He has a strong social media presence and connects with players. IU has missed out on so many coaches the past 12-15 years due to a conservative approach. The Sampson hire has resulted in playing it safe. Yes, they may have made a run at Stevens, yet the chances were slim. Unless, coach Woodson uses the portal to turn it around quickly, the next 2-3 years will be rough. So, using the Musselman example, there’s no excuse as to why this program can’t replicate it. A 22 win season and second round loss shouldn’t be celebrated at IU. Perhaps at other programs but never IU. Truly hoping coach Woodson gets the program to where Musselman has gotten Arkansas. Doesn’t need to take 3-4 years.
"CELEBRATE! . . . CELEBRATE! . . . DANCE TO THE MUSIC!"
After NO NCAA appearances for years, I am celebrating 2 appearances in 2 years. And, I am hoping for even better seasons in the future.

"CELEBRATE! . . . CELEBRATE! . . . DANCE TO THE MUSIC!"
After NO NCAA appearances for years, I am celebrating 2 appearances in 2 years. And, I am hoping for even better seasons in the future.
Except that Arkansas got curb stomped tonight by UConn.

Reactions: MrBing
If they didn't care if the won or lost, IU would not have won 22 games.
22 games in a down Big10 and a loss in round 2 isn't good when you're starting 3-4 seniors an All American big man and have a lottery pick at point guard. Especially not when you're IU.

Overall this team underachieved.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Except that Arkansas got curb stomped tonight by UConn.
UConn should have fired Hurley after not making the tournament his first two years. How the hell can a blueblood program with multiple national championships and an all-time great coach fail that miserably. Hell, they guy couldn't get past the first game the next two years either. They had the chance to hire Dusty May four times before this year but stupidly were content with mediocrity. smh

UConn should have fired Hurley after not making the tournament his first two years. How the hell can a blueblood program with multiple national championships and an all-time great coach fail that miserably. Hell, they guy couldn't get past the first game the next two years either. They had the chance to hire Dusty May four times before this year but stupidly were content with mediocrity. smh
I just checked. Dan Hurley's current team, which might end up winning the whole Enchilada in the NCAAT this year, finished tied for 4th place in the the BE Conference regular season. Can you imagine the uproar on this board with CMW, if the men's IU BB team had the same team as UConn right now & finished tied for 4th place in the BiG?

Reactions: MrBing
Hurley showed consistent improvement each year at UCONN so I doubt anyone would have wanted him fired.
LOL! That’s flat out hilarious because it’s 100 percent certain YOU would have been screaming for him to be fired. Thanks for the laugh! Same with Dusty May. You started this thread about a guy you would have screamed bloody murder about firing for most of his previous four years. Denying it will only make me split my gut laughing.

You don’t have to reply🤷🏼‍♂. Just saying iu set itself back big time in its ability to hire. They had an elite coach and they let him go for something totally legal now. What if Kansas would have done that with Self?
You do realize that Sampson would have been banned by the NCAA for 5 years regardless and we still would have shit the bed repeatedly???

I rewatched the first 8 minutes of the second half from the other night. We had multiple chances to take probably a 7-10 point lead against Miami. The Kopp horrible shot was a killer . Several really bad pass turnovers when it was tied or we were up. Then no box out from anyone on a missed three and Wong comes right in and grabs the ball for an easy layup. After that we were done. Not saying we would have won but we had chances to stay in that game.
And if Kopp hits Miami calls TO and then maybe we win by 15…. Who knows ??

Every time someone says we should have kept Sampson the Stupid Meter pegs out at maximum. IU couldn’t have kept him if they wanted to.
I love the way you people make excuses for IU sports! Wait till next year! That’s the IU battle cry 😂

Darian DeVries. In Albany I watched Drake almost beat Miami, and guessing not a single player on Drake's roster would even be looked at by IU. They played hard, up-tempo, and with a lot of confidence.

There are many other good young coaches out there like DeVries that would energize the program immediately. Now whether we trust the AD to land one is another debate.
Wait, now we want a mid major coach again? Ok

DeVries is an intriguing candidate.

Pretty sure as long as we have a coach there can’t be any candidates

Because he loses all of his good players and his recruiting is weak.
Wait, what? Schifino is his recruit. TJD is going to the NBA & so is Schifino. Who else is CMW going to lose that can't be replaced with a new player who would be just as good or better? Schifino is CWM's recruit, how is Schifino weak player? I don't understand how you can say CMW's recruiting is weak?

Reactions: T.M.P.
Wait, what? Schifino is his recruit. TJD is going to the NBA & so is Schifino. Who else is CMW going to lose that can't be replaced with a new player who would be just as good or better? Schifino is CWM's recruit, how is Schifino weak player? I don't understand how you can say CMW's recruiting is weak?
Consider the source. If you are looking for logic in anything he posts, you won't find it. 100% juvenile butthurt nonsense.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Look at the 2023 class. Schifino is the only Woodson to contribute meaningfully so far, and he was very inconsistent.

What makes you think Woodson is going to kill it in the portal?

Look at the 2023 class. Schifino is the only Woodson to contribute meaningfully so far, and he was very inconsistent.

What makes you think Woodson is going to kill it in the portal?
I don't know if he'll "kill it in the portal?" But, I waiting to see what he does with portal players this year before I react positively or negatively. Schifino was a big fish that supposedly's gonna be a top 20 pick in the upcoming NBA draft. Don't you think CMW should get credit for getting Schifino to come to IU?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT