ADVERTISEMENT

Shouldn’t take this long to build it

No Indiana went below .500 in league play six years ago. Woody pulled the program out of the abyss in his second year.
That is a bit of a stretch. You could argue crean pulled it out of the abyss since he had zero scholorship players when he took over. Woodson was left with plenty to work with and a future all american. Crean also did not have the transfer portal like we do now.

Most coaches would love to have two players on their roster going to the NBA.
If Woodson cant even make the sweet 16 with that...well its not a good look
LSU had Ben Simmons the number one pick in the draft and a couple other players that made NBA rosters for a short time. They didn't even make the tournament in Simmons last year. I just thought of Simmons because I remembered how good he was and how mediocre LSU was. I always heard Paul George's college team didn't even have a winning record. I bet there are others with one or two future NBA players that didn't make the tournament or Sweet 16.

Pride has burned IU before. Sampson should never been fired.
He shouldn't have been hired but it's been pointed out by many posters that there was no choice on Sampson. He had to be fired because there was no way they could show cause to the NCAA that would justify keeping him. He was gone no matter what our fans wanted or didn't want. That's the reason he went to the NBA for five years or so.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Are you suggesting that IU should hire a new coach with loads of social media followers, solicit boosters for tons of NIL $$ to use to assemble a team of Mickey Ds All Americans (a la Florida Marlins), and that will result in FF appearances? If not, how you recommend accelerating the process?

As for the example I gave, it isn’t working too well in Lexington for a coach known to get players to the NBA consistently.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Are you suggesting that IU should hire a new coach with loads of social media followers, solicit boosters for tons of NIL $$ to use to assemble a team of Mickey Ds All Americans (a la Florida Marlins), and that will result in FF appearances? If not, how you recommend accelerating the process?

As for the example I gave, it isn’t working too well in Lexington for a coach known to get players to the NBA consistently.
UK has five possible NBA draftees on the roster and didn't make the Sweet 16.

Give me a viable replacement
Darian DeVries. In Albany I watched Drake almost beat Miami, and guessing not a single player on Drake's roster would even be looked at by IU. They played hard, up-tempo, and with a lot of confidence.

There are many other good young coaches out there like DeVries that would energize the program immediately. Now whether we trust the AD to land one is another debate.

Reactions: kkott
What did we do?
Despite key injuries at various times and losing X completely, IU had a winning record overall and in the B1G. Second place in the B1G. Made the tournament and won a game. If that's nothing than about 320 division 1 teams did less than nothing. IU also had a Player of the Year or at least should be and several players that improved over last year. The team was clearly better than last year's and way better than the year before Woodson.

My question was why some of our fans says dumb things like IU did "nothing" this year. It's false so why say it?

You don’t have to reply🤷🏼‍♂. Just saying iu set itself back big time in its ability to hire. They had an elite coach and they let him go for something totally legal now. What if Kansas would have done that with Self?
You say the same crap every year. No praise to anything good. It’s always the same. You won’t be happy until IU hires certain coaches. That list of coaches is ignorant.

You say the same crap every year. No praise to anything good. It’s always the same. You won’t be happy until IU hires certain coaches. That list of coaches is ignorant.
And, should IU ever hire the coach "he" wants, if the IU BB record isn't to his liking at that time, he will be on here demanding IU fire that coach, too after about 6 or 7 games. It's a vicious cycle that never ends.

Despite key injuries at various times and losing X completely, IU had a winning record overall and in the B1G. Second place in the B1G. Made the tournament and won a game. If that's nothing than about 320 division 1 teams did less than nothing. IU also had a Player of the Year or at least should be and several players that improved over last year. The team was clearly better than last year's and way better than the year before Woodson.

My question was why some of our fans says dumb things like IU did "nothing" this year. It's false so why say it?
Iu didn’t win anything. Nothing in BIG and an early out in tourney. Again won nothing.

• Angry
Reactions: all4iu76
What direction though? This roster will be very limited next year and Woodson went below .500 in conference with TJD as a junior
Do you know exactly what the roster will look like next season, or just an idea of what it will look like if absolutely nothing changes?

If you know exactly what next year’s roster will look like, please let us all know.

Reactions: BattleCreekHoosier
Do you know exactly what the roster will look like next season, or just an idea of what it will look like if absolutely nothing changes?

If you know exactly what next year’s roster will look like, please let us all know.
It’s going to add 2-3 people from portal. Other than that the roster is pretty much set

I am told the freshmen will contribute right away so all is good. No need for portal players.

It’s exhausting listening to this shit.
IU has improved, culture is changing. Archies culture was such a bad stain it still lingers.
Us IU fans are insane with some of this shit.
Woodson inherited a shit program with a shit culture and a shitty team that had gone 12-15 overall, 7-12 in conference, finished in 10th place and was shitty in every measurable team category.

Woodson improved the overall record to 21 wins but stayed about the same in conference his first season. Woodson’s second season saw 23 wins, a tie for 2nd in conference and a second consecutive tournament appearance. Woodson also improved the overall offense and defense.

Woodson has made this team and program better in every measurable way, not just overall wins and conference finish.

Hold on there. You didn't say they didn't WIN anything. You said they didn't DO anything and I explained what they obviously did do. You shouldn't have needed that explained to you.
Only 1 team “wins” anything in the ncaa. Only 1 team wins anything in the Big. Should all other programs fire their coach? Smh. The guy is crazy. IU placed 3rd in the Big and got out of the first round for the first time since 2016. That is absolutely something.

Those spouting off about draft pics are DUMB! NBA drafts on potential. TJD is our single great college basketball player. JHS will be amazing but as a freshman his stats are decent for a college basketball player. He averaged 12 points, 4 reb, 4 assists. The list of college players who did that is probably incredibly long (he was 19th in the Big alone in scoring). He might be a lottery pick but that fact alone means nothing as far as how we finish as a team.

Some people are looking for reasons to hate on Woodson and our program. Gotta just start ignoring them.

Only 1 team “wins” anything in the ncaa. Only 1 team wins anything in the Big. Should all other programs fire their coach? Smh. The guy is crazy. IU placed 3rd in the Big and got out of the first round for the first time since 2016. That is absolutely something.

Those spouting off about draft pics are DUMB! NBA drafts on potential. TJD is our single great college basketball player. JHS will be amazing but as a freshman his stats are decent for a college basketball player. He averaged 12 points, 4 reb, 4 assists. The list of college players who did that is probably incredibly long (he was 19th in the Big alone in scoring). He might be a lottery pick but that fact alone means nothing as far as how we finish as a team.

Some people are looking for reasons to hate on Woodson and our program. Gotta just start ignoring them.
It is no different on any other fan message board. At the sesaon end with an NCAA loss people are bummed out it ended and are going to vent for awile because its over . I read all kinds of twitter posts from Arizona and Purdue fans calling for their coaches to be fired after losing last week. The Arizona fans were furious. This is not unique to IU in the least. I can only guess but I bet the Kentucky fans are ready to run Calipari out of town right now.

Replying to
@ArizonaMBB
Every single fan who wanted to run Miller out of town This one's for you You dont run off elite coaches Lloyd has been outcoached badly two years in a row when it matters
This is on Tommie Lloyd. His recruiting has sucked. Where’s these 5 star recruits. This Wouldn’t happen under Sean Miller sorry.

Mar 16

Replying to
@ArizonaMBB
Another nail in the PAC12 coffin who was supposed to announce a new media deal today, suddenly postponed, was praying for Cats and Bruins making splash in the big dance. Hope for UofAs sake they end up in Big12 when PAC12 implodes and get to play in a real hoops conference soon.

Replying to
@ArizonaMBB
Arizona, overrated all year and way over seeded in
@MarchMadnessMBB
just got beat by an Ivy League school full of a bunch of white guys! Love, love, love it!!!!!

Slappy

@SlappyYoNutz
·
Mar 16

Replying to
@ArizonaMBB
same ole crap. what seriously has tommy lloyd done? sean miller players are the ones we won pac12. has he recruited anyone good to date? any 5 star blue chip?

He shouldn't have been hired but it's been pointed out by many posters that there was no choice on Sampson. He had to be fired because there was no way they could show cause to the NCAA that would justify keeping him. He was gone no matter what our fans wanted or didn't want. That's the reason he went to the NBA for five years or so.
It’s a stupid detection device. Anyone that says Sampson shouldn’t have been fired is going to peg the meter because the NCCA slapped a five year show cause penalty in Sampson. IU couldn’t keep him and no college team could hire him. The mistake was IU’s for hiring him and Sampson cheating again despite promising not to (the man has no integrity). There was no mistake in firing him because IU had no choice. It was the right thing to do as well, but that is irrelevant.

Last edited:
It is no different on any other fan message board. At the sesaon end with an NCAA loss people are bummed out it ended and are going to vent for awile because its over . I read all kinds of twitter posts from Arizona and Purdue fans calling for their coaches to be fired after losing last week. The Arizona fans were furious. This is not unique to IU in the least. I can only guess but I bet the Kentucky fans are ready to run Calipari out of town right now.
I think the problem posters have understanding your though process & the thought processes of others who are in your same camp over this season's final results is, IU BB does not exist to please you in any way. Pleasing you & others is not the goal of IU BB. Yet, you & others seem to think the BB Program should in some way please you. I think what most of your detractors are trying to say to you, buckle up & try to enjoy the ride. If not then, maybe you should pick another team to follow? A team that will make you happier than what IU BB does. Your constant complaining in no way, will ever have have a positive effect on changing the performance of IU BB.

LSU had Ben Simmons the number one pick in the draft and a couple other players that made NBA rosters for a short time. They didn't even make the tournament in Simmons last year. I just thought of Simmons because I remembered how good he was and how mediocre LSU was. I always heard Paul George's college team didn't even have a winning record. I bet there are others with one or two future NBA players that didn't make the tournament or Sweet 16.
My point was they should.
A good coach should be able to overachieve with less, not underachieve with more

Only 1 team “wins” anything in the ncaa. Only 1 team wins anything in the Big. Should all other programs fire their coach? Smh. The guy is crazy. IU placed 3rd in the Big and got out of the first round for the first time since 2016. That is absolutely something
This is a bad take.
One shouldnt be basing firing a coach based on comparing him to other team's success around the country. One should be basing it on that coaches isolated work with what he has to work with.

But actually yes, more coaches should be fired around the league for producing "stagnant" work imo.
Calipari and Painter are two I can think of right off the top of my head.
But not my school, not my problem

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT