ADVERTISEMENT

Shouldn’t take this long to build it

SRThoosier

Benchwarmer
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2021
Eric Musselman could reach 3 consecutive Final 8’s with an Arkansas win this week. It’s a program that reached only 5 NCAA tournaments over an 18 year span with 4 different head coaches. At Nevada, he won 76% of games coached and made it to a Final 16. He has a strong social media presence and connects with players. IU has missed out on so many coaches the past 12-15 years due to a conservative approach. The Sampson hire has resulted in playing it safe. Yes, they may have made a run at Stevens, yet the chances were slim. Unless, coach Woodson uses the portal to turn it around quickly, the next 2-3 years will be rough. So, using the Musselman example, there’s no excuse as to why this program can’t replicate it. A 22 win season and second round loss shouldn’t be celebrated at IU. Perhaps at other programs but never IU. Truly hoping coach Woodson gets the program to where Musselman has gotten Arkansas. Doesn’t need to take 3-4 years.

Eric Musselman could reach 3 consecutive Final 8’s with an Arkansas win this week. It’s a program that reached only 5 NCAA tournaments over an 18 year span with 4 different head coaches. At Nevada, he won 76% of games coached and made it to a Final 16. He has a strong social media presence and connects with players. IU has missed out on so many coaches the past 12-15 years due to a conservative approach. The Sampson hire has resulted in playing it safe. Yes, they may have made a run at Stevens, yet the chances were slim. Unless, coach Woodson uses the portal to turn it around quickly, the next 2-3 years will be rough. So, using the Musselman example, there’s no excuse as to why this program can’t replicate it. A 22 win season and second round loss shouldn’t be celebrated at IU. Perhaps at other programs but never IU. Truly hoping coach Woodson gets the program to where Musselman has gotten Arkansas. Doesn’t need to take 3-4 years.
He also inherited a team averaging over 20 wins a year. Go take a chill pill.

*eyeroll*

The grass is always greener in the yard full of dogshit.

This same stupid cherry picked argument has been mentioned ad nauseum for years. It's tired, it's old, it's dumb, it's bullshit. For every coach that luckily won early, there's many more that took years.

Last edited:
Yes, improved with key injuries. Culture has improved. Talent is improving.
They just can’t see it. I agree with Woodson’s sentiment after the loss. We have taken steps. It’s not enough, and we can’t be satisfied but we can appreciate the steps we have taken. Lets see what we can put together this offseason and get back to work.

Nobody wants to give Woodson any credit at all but this is the first back to back 20+ win season since 2015 and 2016. If Woodson makes the tournament next year he will be the first coach since Bobby Knight to do so 3 straight seasons. I like the direction we are going. Lets go IU.

Last edited:
They just can’t see it. I agree with Woodson’s sentiment after the loss. We have taken steps. It’s not enough, and we can’t be satisfied but we can appreciate the steps we have taken. Lets see what we can put together this offseason and get back to work.

Nobody wants to give Woodson any credit at all but this is the first back to back 20+ win season since 2015 and 2016. If Woodson makes the tournament next year he will be the first coach since Bobby Knight to do so 3 straight seasons. I like the direction we are going. Lets go IU.
What direction though? This roster will be very limited next year and Woodson went below .500 in conference with TJD as a junior

… we can appreciate the steps we have taken. Lets see what we can put together this offseason and get back to work.

Next season will be interesting with a youth movement … hopefully led by a more mature X.
Woody’s coaching chops will be in full view.

What direction though? This roster will be very limited next year and Woodson went below .500 in conference with TJD as a junior
It’s not rocket science my man. We won 19, 20, then 12 games prior to Woodson. 2 years under Woodson and we have won 21 and 23 games. Seems like positive steps to me. My bet is, Woodson figures out a way to put a solid team on the floor again next year and we win 20+ and make the tournament. And while I know we all have higher expectations than that in the long run, consistency is another positive step. We haven’t had that since Knight.

You won’t ever see it, but there it is.

It’s not rocket science my man. We won 19, 20, then 12 games prior to Woodson. 2 years under Woodson and we have won 21 and 23 games. Seems like positive steps to me. My bet is, Woodson figures out a way to put a solid team on the floor again next year and we win 20+ and make the tournament. And while I know we all have higher expectations than that in the long run, consistency is another positive step. We haven’t had that since Knight.

You won’t ever see it, but there it is.
So what is the goal for Woodson at Iu?

Reactions: IUgradman
If Woodson makes the tournament next year he will be the first coach since Bobby Knight to do so 3 straight seasons. I like the direction we are going. Lets go IU.
I assume this is a joke, and it just went over everyone’s head. It cannot possibly be true that Knight was the last coach to make the ncaa tournament in 3 consecutive years. We cannot be that terrible of a program, can we????

I assume this is a joke, and it just went over everyone’s head. It cannot possibly be true that Knight was the last coach to make the ncaa tournament in 3 consecutive years. We cannot be that terrible of a program, can we????
IU made the tournament in Mike Davis’ first three seasons. And it also made the tournament three straight seasons from 2006-2008 under Davis and Sampson.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
It’s exhausting listening to this shit.
IU has improved, culture is changing. Archies culture was such a bad stain it still lingers.
Us IU fans are insane with some of this shit.
Yep. I mean, I was frustrated as hell watching some of the game this year. But we are in far better shape than Crean’s last year and Archie’s entire tenure. This team made my expectations for the B1G season and fell just short in the tourney. I wanted to see a S16 appearance, but we were just too inconsistent in our play.

I am actually looking forward to next year. It will be a totally fresh look and I want to see how we evolve.

Ill never understsnd the ppl on here who think you need atleast 3+ seasons min to get a baseline idea of how good a coach is going to be.
You reallu dont if you want to be elite, youre really just letting time pass you by

Reactions: BigMobe
So what is the goal for Woodson at Iu?
The ultimate goal for any coach at IU, not just Woodson, is to compete for and win Big Ten Championships, and to compete for and win National Championships.

Imo it is unrealistic and unreasonable to expect those things to have happened in 2 years. I believe we win the Big with X (or at least come darn close) and make it a round or two further but it wasn’t to be.

Lets see what he does for next year. Go IU!

*eyeroll*

The grass is always greener in the yard full of dogshit.

This same stupid cherry picked argument has been mentioned ad nauseum for years. It's tired, it's old, it's dumb, it's bullshit. For every coach that luckily won early, there's many more that took years.
What's your point?

You find the right coach to do it quickly.

Old experienced team with an all american and first round NBA team. Underachieved big in a very weak conference. Next year will be a lot worse so glad you're happy with the direction.

The ultimate goal for any coach at IU, not just Woodson, is to compete for and win Big Ten Championships, and to compete for and win National Championships.

Imo it is unrealistic and unreasonable to expect those things to have happened in 2 years. I believe we win the Big with X (or at least come darn close) and make it a round or two further but it wasn’t to be.

Lets see what he does for next year. Go IU!
And you think Woody get that done? I don’t see it happening. This was the year to do something and they did nothing

Baby steps, really. Improve a bit year to year and drag this sorry ass program back to respectability. Retire and enjoy his loot after handing off to a more long-term solution.

It’s the best we can do right now.
But are we if next year is really bad?

Reactions: bailey777
But are we if next year is really bad?
But are we improving, do you mean?

If next year is “really bad,” then no, of course we shouldn’t be seen as improving.

Coaches get short windows to show what they can do.

MW isn’t a young man, either.

And IMO, Archie burned through a great deal of the fan base’s goodwill and patience. Balancing that, to a degree (I think), is MW’s stature as one of IU basketball’s top five/ten all-time greats.

But we’re already halfway through a standard length coaching audition.

What's your point?

You find the right coach to do it quickly.
To do that you have to pick a coach who already has a pipeline of players teed up. Musselman, with his SM presence and by already being a Coach has that. Sometimes guys sit on the sidelines for a year or 2 (Gottfried, Sampson, Hardaway, Howard or Lavin come to mind) but know they are ultimately going to get back in and they work those relationships to stay relevant. Woody was not that guy so it's understandable that he has to build those relationships first. He was never going to walk in the door with a pocket full of recruits or AAU contacts. And, I'm fine with that, if he is the right guy and builds a culture. So far, I think his recruiting results have been pretty solid, given that fact. You can say he benefitted from having TJD and Race already here as Archie recruits, but it also occcurs to me that they might be part of the problem. For as good as they were and as great a representative for the University, it also remains that they were the center of some bad and then very inconsistent teams who I think underperformed. We probably won't be as talented next year in terms of NBA potential, but I think it's possible that he signs a couple good players in the portal and some guys step up with new leadership and minutes and shots available and blossom. No one thought PU (least of all me) could win the B10 season and tourney with 2 freshmen guards, but they did. Next year will probably be the bellweather for CMW.

Last edited:
But are we improving, do you mean?

If next year is “really bad,” then no, of course we shouldn’t be seen as improving.

Coaches get short windows to show what they can do.

MW isn’t a young man, either.

And IMO, Archie burned through a great deal of the fan base’s goodwill and patience. Balancing that, to a degree (I think), is MW’s stature as one of IU basketball’s top five/ten all-time greats.

But we’re already halfway through a standard length coaching audition.
I don’t see Woodson doing anything but keep us as an average BIG team

Reactions: Indyhorn
This isn’t football, where you need to build so many different parts of a team, such as an offensive/ defensive line, etc., etc. Just one or two great basketball players can be difference makers.

Too early to see/know what we are looking at for next year. However, one thing for sure is that it’s possible to build a team in one offseason. It’s been that way for years. It’s much easier to do now with the portal.

Reactions: Radio Zero

He gets credit but its not like he came in and took his first recruiting class of freshmen to back to back 20 win seasons. He has two very old veteran teams with a top five player in america. Next year we are going to really see his coaching or lack of coaching skills without his all american.

How do we know who is a viable replacement? I’m sure there is quite a few out there.
Make guys like Mussleman, Pearl, Drew, etc..say no.
Pearl and Drew shouldn’t be discussed at all. The history with Drew (Wonder why Drew is never on lists?)and IU has been known. Take his name off the list. Pearl is at his final job. He’s not going anywhere. Muss will likely stay until UNC/UK jobs open.

Last edited:
Pearl and Drew shouldn’t be discussed at all. The history with Drew (Winder why Drew is never on lists?)and IU has been known. Take his name off the list. Pearl is at his final job. He’s not going anywhere. Muss will likely stay until UNC/UK jobs open.
Like I said make them say no.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT