ADVERTISEMENT

Tough to say it, but have to tip hat to Purdue

aajohn2000

All-American
Apr 12, 2012
North Carolina
Seeing the long lines outside of the arena and a place packed with Purdue fans last night really made me reflect and as much as I hate to admit it, truly appreciate, respect and ultimately, feel good for them. They have a hell of a team. They have a 2X nat’l player of the year and have a dream draw to get to the FF with the first 2 games going through Indy and regionals in Detroit. Good for them and nice to see a program with a stable coach who has done things right and built a program their way and achieving great success. Tip of the hat to Painter and their team. I can honestly say I do hope they win it all. There is no other team I care for to win it and if anyone will have earned it, it’s Purdue. This is coming from someone who despises them for the better part of my 47 years, but just have to respect it. Hoping one day IU can return to what Purdue has become.

Last edited:
For not making history and being the only team to lose to multiple 16 seeds?
I get it. Easy to poke fun. But not a good look when IU has been irrelevant for the past 30 years. Purdue has won a Maui invite. IU has not. They have won two consecutive B1G titles. They have been ranked #1 in the country 3 seasons in a row. No B1G team has EVER done that. Only thing missing is the finish with a FF / nat’l title. I cannot envision anything other than at least a trip to FF this season.

Seeing the long lines outside of the arena and a place packed with Purdue fans last night really made me reflect and as much as I hate to admit it, truly appreciate, respect and ultimately, feel good for them. They have a hell of a team. They have a 2X nat’l player of the year and have a dream draw to get to the FF with the first 4 games all going through Indy. Good for them and nice to see a program with a stable coach who has done things right and built a program their way and achieving great success. Tip of the hat to Painter and their team. I can honestly say I do hope they win it all. There is no other team I care for to win it and if anyone will have earned it, it’s Purdue. This is coming from someone who despises them for the better part of my 47 years, but just have to respect it. Hoping one day IU can return to what Purdue has become.

WTF
Feel good for them. F*** that. Then you didn't despise them 47 years.
You can respect what they have done but hope they win it all!!! HELL no.
You should be banned here if that would happen.

WTF
Feel good for them. F*** that. Then you didn't despise them 47 years.
You can respect what they have done but hope they win it all!!! HELL no.
You should be banned here if that would happen.
I get it. I can’t even believe I typed it. But oddly, I do feel myself pulling for them. Mainly from a sympathy point. But damn they have a strong team and have built a great program.

• Haha
Reactions: YOTHN and z_one
I get it. Easy to poke fun. But not a good look when IU has been irrelevant for the past 30 years. Purdue has won a Maui invite. IU has not. They have won two consecutive B1G titles. They have been ranked #1 in the country 3 seasons in a row. No B1G team has EVER done that. Only thing missing is the finish with a FF / nat’l title. I cannot envision anything other than at least a trip to FF this season.

I'm not poking fun, I just don't think Painter deserves credit for beating a bad 16 seed.

You need to revise your timeline.
I get it, some (in your case supposed) IU fans seem to get off on bashing IU, the adminstration, the pres, everything about IU but....
IU was in the final game in 02. IU was ranked #1 for a good part of the season in 13. Hmmm, 24 - 13, yea that equals 30 and obviously when IU is ranked #1 they are irrelevant but when PU is, well.........
They didn't win the title either time but NEITHER HAS PU these seasons that they were ranked #1.
IU has been crap the last few years but damn, root for PU. AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.
I see, one standard for IU, another for PU.

I get it. I can’t even believe I typed it. But oddly, I do feel myself pulling for them. Mainly from a sympathy point. But damn they have a strong team and have built a great program.

Burn your cream and crimson and make a bee line to buy your black an urine then.
Not original but my two favorite teams are IU and WHOEVER plays PU. Now and always.

I'll repeat myself.....because it bears repeating: The best thing that could happen to IU basketball is for Purdue to win a Natty. IU lacks the necessary motivation to fix the basketball program....maybe that would do it. Nothing brings the best out of Duke like UNC....and vice versa. They are always in the conversation....and get the pick of the litter in recruiting, year after year. IU has this archaic view that we are the patriarch of Indiana basketball. I want Purdue to win it all for Purdue.....and for IU.

I'll repeat myself.....because it bears repeating: The best thing that could happen to IU basketball is for Purdue to win a Natty. IU lacks the necessary motivation to fix the basketball program....maybe that would do it. Nothing brings the best out of Duke like UNC....and vice versa. They are always in the conversation....and get the pick of the litter in recruiting, year after year. IU has this archaic view that we are the patriarch of Indiana basketball. I want Purdue to win it all for Purdue.....and for IU.
It shouldn't take what a different program does to be competent, and it certainly isn't going to transform somebody who isn't competent into somebody who is competent. IU needs to get the incompetent people out and competent people in.

For not making history and being the only team to lose to multiple 16 seeds?
We will always have that feather in our cap as IU fans, but those first round losses in 95,96,97 and 2000 were pretty brutal. And PU won conference titles in that span. It was not a good time. Nor is this current time. But one day IU will have guys who can win again and when they do, I will be the first to remind Purdue of their special record. But today ain't the day to bring that out.

Reactions: z_one
How do you know it's March? Purdue is still playing basketball and Indiana isn't.

Dang, I enjoyed that jab 30 years ago. Shoe is on the other foot now.

Well, I root for the state schools. Purdue being good isn't why my school sucks. (That's all on the useless IU admin.)

So.. Good luck Purdue!

It shouldn't take what a different program does to be competent, and it certainly isn't going to transform somebody who isn't competent i somebody who is competent. IU needs to get the incompetent people out and competent people in.
The incompetence is long-standing.....Myles Brand left IU and heaped his destruction on the entire NCAA....went on a campaign to remove mascots. At least IU didn't have one to remove....The incompetence is now a tradition at IU. One that they vigorously defend.

Reactions: Klaus 7196
I'm not poking fun, I just don't think Painter deserves credit for beating a bad 16 seed.
Me either. But that's not what I am saying. They have the mojo. They are the program of the state. While IU has had flashes, Purdue is the model of consistency and have had a lot of success. It's do or die this year as I do not think they will ever have a better chance or draw than this season. Edey is a beast and will not see another like him for a very long time, if ever.

Reactions: PurdueSteve
Burn your cream and crimson and make a bee line to buy your black an urine then.
Not original but my two favorite teams are IU and WHOEVER plays PU. Now and always.
I have developed a softness for them. Maybe it's because it's lent and I have developed compassion. I just find myself kind of cheering for them. Partly because the B1G has sucked ass in the tourney with zero championships for 25 years. The other is PU is getting hated on so it kind of makes me cheer for them. That said, should they lose, I will find satisfaction in it.

Have you been around Purdue fans? They’re a weird bunch and almost all of them dislike IU.

Yea their team is doing well, no idea why that makes them likeable.

But, it’s a free country in terms of who you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and YOTHN
I wish you would stop. I am not a PU fan at all. Just a little jealous of how much better they run their basketball program.
My daughter is a Purdue grad. We are a Purdue family....I still get their emails telling me so. I must confess....it dulls the pain and frustration the IU basketball creates year after year.

Seeing the long lines outside of the arena and a place packed with Purdue fans last night really made me reflect and as much as I hate to admit it, truly appreciate, respect and ultimately, feel good for them. They have a hell of a team. They have a 2X nat’l player of the year and have a dream draw to get to the FF with the first 4 games all going through Indy. Good for them and nice to see a program with a stable coach who has done things right and built a program their way and achieving great success. Tip of the hat to Painter and their team. I can honestly say I do hope they win it all. There is no other team I care for to win it and if anyone will have earned it, it’s Purdue. This is coming from someone who despises them for the better part of my 47 years, but just have to respect it. Hoping one day IU can return to what Purdue has become.
Gross.

Me either. But that's not what I am saying. They have the mojo. They are the program of the state. While IU has had flashes, Purdue is the model of consistency and have had a lot of success. It's do or die this year as I do not think they will ever have a better chance or draw than this season. Edey is a beast and will not see another like him for a very long time, if ever.
Isn't Woody 3-3 against PU? Not saying that will continue and I hope Woody leaves, but it ain't exactly hard to reach their level. Would you rather have Bob Knight or Gene Keady?

Edey is just big. He will get exposed in the NBA and won't stick. You can't just play 5 feet from the basket in the NBA.

• Haha
Reactions: Monk1014
Isn't Woody 3-3 against PU? Not saying that will continue and I hope Woody leaves, but it ain't exactly hard to reach their level. Would you rather have Bob Knight or Gene Keady?

Edey is just big. He will get exposed in the NBA and won't stick. You can't just play 5 feet from the basket in the NBA.
Doesn’t really matter what Edey does in the NBA.

Another straw man.

You must be a lawyer.

That's a helluva straw man argument the the OP's point.

They have a program right now. They have a fanbase that is rabid & supportive.

We don't.
IU definitely has a fan base, and the fan base isn't the problem. IU doesn't have leadership.

A straw man is misrepresenting somebody's position, which is what you are doing. I'm allowed to have my own opinion.

Reactions: Harpo Marxist
IU definitely has a fan base, and the fan base isn't the problem. IU doesn't have leadership.

A straw man is misrepresenting somebody's position, which is what you are doing. I'm allowed to have my own opinion.
That is precisely what you did. You made it about their game. The OP was talking about the state of their program.

That would be the 2nd best thing.

The first would be to get an administration, from BoT to President to AD to Coach that understand how to run a high-functioning organization rather than a political organization.

I'll make it quick.
Hell No !!!
And I've rooted against them longer than 47 yrs ~

• Love
Reactions: Al Bino
Did they put up a banner for that Maui invitational?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT