ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t understand the Purdue fans joy

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
I’ve seen several Purdue fans stating it was a great year and amazing ride. I don’t understand the joy. This was the #1 team for nearly all of the last two years and had the national player of the year as well. They got beat pretty badly the last 25 minutes of the championship game. They were outclassed, out coached. They lose by 30 if not for Edey. They could hardly get a shot off in the 2nd half. Doesn’t seem joyous to me.

Reactions: 76-1
I’ve seen several Purdue fans stating it was a great year and amazing ride. I don’t understand the joy. This was the #1 team for nearly all of the last two years and had the national player of the year as well. They got beat pretty badly the last 25 minutes of the championship game. They were outclassed, out coached. They lose by 30 if not for Edey. They could hardly get a shot off in the 2nd half. Doesn’t seem joyous to me.
"They lose by 30 if not for Edey"

They would have lost to the #16 seed again, if not for Edey. :):):)

I get it. They won the B1G and had a great run I hate to say. That’s fun even if they came up short the last game. Kinda silly if only one team’s fans can be happy each year.

I loved 2002.

That’s just me though.
Yeah objectively one of their best years. Didn't suffer an embarrasing early round loss and made it to the championship game for the first time in over 50 years. Got beat there by a legitimately better team. Not a lot to feel bad about.

Yeah objectively one of their best years. Didn't suffer an embarrasing early round loss and made it to the championship game for the first time in over 50 years. Got beat there by a legitimately better team. Not a lot to feel bad about.

It's this.

That’s because it was a great year and amazing ride. Every fanbase should feel that way given the same results.

I guess if you are the #1 team two straight years and have the #1 player it’s OK to get blown out in the 2nd half of the championship game. Marv Levy / Buffalo Bills mentality

The further you go the more the loss can hurt. But, still, that team accomplished a ton over two years.

Back in the day I used to really let losses get to me. For any PU fans feeling joy , that shows to me that maybe they have some balance and perspective in life. Sports are supposed to be fun, and to be entertaining.

The further you go the more the loss can hurt. But, still, that team accomplished a ton over two years.

Back in the day I used to really let losses get to me. For any PU fans feeling joy , that shows to me that maybe they have some balance and perspective in life. Sports are supposed to be fun, and to be entertaining.
For a lot of years I couldn't look at Steve Blake when he played in the NBA because he was on that Maryland team which beat IU in 2002. I'm still a little ticked off at Cam Cameron because he was on the Terre Haute South basketball team which beat my Washington Hatchets in the 1978 Semi State in Evansville.

I guess if you are the #1 team two straight years and have the #1 player it’s OK to get blown out in the 2nd half of the championship game. Marv Levy / Buffalo Bills mentality
I’m guessing that Purdue fans don’t think it was “ok” to get blown out. I also recognize that they generally will feel proud of this year’s team’s accomplishments, as they should. The two sentiments are not incompatible.

Hell, I’d be thrilled to just hit the F4. It turned out that both IU and PU fans CAN be happy with the outcome of their season at the same time! We are happy they choked and still only have a fictitious championship to point to, and they are happy to make it past the first weekend of the tourney!

Who says they were number one? Voters... Which is useless.

On the court, Purdue won the B1G season title two years in a row. Who wouldn't enjoy that?

And the second year they made a run to the title game. Anybody would take that as much better than not getting there.
Fans got to go to Arizona, and they won a game in the final four for them.

I'm still living off one Mike Davis and team hot streak. And we lost.

lol this is too funny. Last week people equated Purdue to the 95 Bulls and Painter to John Wooden. Indystar Doyel said Purdue was playing with house money!!! They were the #1 team most of the year and a #1 seed. All of a sudden it’s like Purdue made an incredible run as a #10 seed or something

These posts are exactly why IU & Purdue will never win big. Good and mediocre is gladly accepted.

I do.

Purdue has been very, very successful under Matt Painter. More than they ever were under Keady (and they were pretty successful under Keady). In fact, I'd say that Painter is clearly the #1 coach in the B10 -- and I would've said this before this tournament run.

Obviously, it's disappointing to lose a championship game. But in order to lose a championship game, you have to get to the championship game. They have every reason to celebrate a terrific season -- and to expect that their success will continue.

Meanwhile, down in Bloomington, our decades-long shitshow endures. And, best I can tell, there's no reason to believe that it won't continue. Until and unless there is a paradigm shift -- among administrators, boosters, fans, alums, etc. -- we will continue spinning our tires and wondering why.

Even if we change coaches. That's simply not enough to fix IU's problem -- which is why having numerous coaching changes since Knight was fired hasn't fixed it. Woodson will probably coach one more lackluster season. Then we'll hire somebody else who won't be successful.

And, after a while, a consensus will emerge that we need to go through the cycle again. We can get off this merry-go-round anytime we choose. But it requires us to realize we're on one.

Who says they were number one? Voters... Which is useless.

On the court, Purdue won the B1G season title two years in a row. Who wouldn't enjoy that?

And the second year they made a run to the title game. Anybody would take that as much better than not getting there.
Fans got to go to Arizona, and they won a game in the final four for them.

I'm still living off one Mike Davis and team hot streak. And we lost.
I’m living off of celebrating 3 National Champiosnhip wins!
pu fans will die never seeing their team win,
I feel sorry for them.

I get your purdue hate is on another level than most of us but nobody was going to beat uconn dude. Woodson would have lost that game by 30 points imo.

But I think we all know now that it was really UConn who was the number one team two years in a row.

Purdue was second best, and backed it up this year reasonably solidly.
I dont think there is a team in america who could have stayed within 10 points of uconn last night.

It's just called licking your wounds or putting the best face on a loss. It's not joy, but coping.

We can't even make a run to the championship game of the B1G tourney! ( Once in 2001?)

Maybe should start with baby steps like that, before we try to compete with the big boys like Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa. :(

Well, fan support still exists. It's Indiana! Hoosiers will be back.

Last edited:
You must be in a state of depression being an IU fan, can't win nothing, hell can not even make it to the tournament! Purdue did not lose by 30 because they have Edey, TRUE, but they still played in the Finals! Now Image IU without Bob Knight, wait, we already know, they are second tier BT Team! FACT! Yes Purdue fans are proud of their team!

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
These posts are exactly why IU & Purdue will never win big. Good and mediocre is gladly accepted.
I think some people just recognize that you have to beat a lot of good teams to win a conference and make it to the final 4. That's by any definition a great season. It doesn't mean they are happy that they lost (I am though!)

it will sink in down the road, in 5-7 yrs, when they realize that was the best chance they'll ever see in their lifetimes.

I'm ready to close the book on last night. This board is starting to look like GBI south. Ready to hear about something IU-ball related. Anything.
Agreed. Had they won, this place would have been completely over run with cockroaches.

it will sink in down the road, in 5-7 yrs, when they realize that was the best chance they'll ever see in their lifetimes.

I'm ready to close the book on last night. This board is starting to look like GBI south. Ready to hear about something IU-ball related. Anything.
Nah... this board is more like Rupp Rafters North.

You must be in a state of depression being an IU fan, can't win nothing, hell can not even make it to the tournament! Purdue did not lose by 30 because they have Edey, TRUE, but they still played in the Finals! Now Image IU without Bob Knight, wait, we already know, they are second tier BT Team! FACT! Yes Purdue fans are proud of their team!
Loved those IU sucks chants in Mackey, WL and AZ

Defines you.

I think some people just recognize that you have to beat a lot of good teams to win a conference and make it to the final 4. That's by any definition a great season. It doesn't mean they are happy that they lost (I am though!)
There is only one great team and they won the championship.
pu is always good, but never great.
Same story
Different year.
Different decade.
Different century.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT