ADVERTISEMENT

Tough to say it, but have to tip hat to Purdue

This 'only because they have Edey" crap gets old.

We had a really great player, Trace Jackson-Davis. And didn't do much. ( And this years team, our few best players are high level talent at least, not yet developed maybe.)

We know they are better coached and run than us. Doesn't mean you are a Purdue fan if you're able see it. And you don't have to like it.

Maybe Woodson can do a complete turnaround. I hope to be shown that most of us are wrong about his program.

Last edited:
Reactions: z_one
Seeing the long lines outside of the arena and a place packed with Purdue fans last night really made me reflect and as much as I hate to admit it, truly appreciate, respect and ultimately, feel good for them.
I would be lining up, too, if there was a 50% chance I would never see my school's 2x POY play again after a first round exit.

Reactions: gator mcCluskey
I left my old company 18 months ago. While at the previous company, I had a guy who was a Purdue grad. Each time IU and PU would play, he’d reach out. And most of the time, PU had beat our ass again. MY usual response would be “hang the banner. Congrats, you won your nat’l championship”. And that was about it. We never hung out nor even worked in the same departments, but paths would cross every once in awhile due to large cross functional team meetings. And this, stayed connected in that way.

About a month ago or 17 months after leaving the company and my association with him, he finds me on LinkedIn to take a jab following the IU loss to Nebraska. We are not even connected, he sent me an invite to connect and attached a note to it about “Not believing IU cannot recruit shooters”. The obsession with IU is real. I do believe it’s an inferiority complex. Whatever it is, it falls into the weird / borderline creepy category. They have issues.
The obsession with IU is very much real. The only reason they have kept Painter around, despite his historically abysmal March record, is because he has a decent record against IU. It's worth noting Painter's tenure coincides with our historic downturn. It's also worth pointing out that Painter could win a Natty this year and still have an abysmal March record over his 19-year career as HC at Purdue.

I have zero doubt that Purdue would can Painter if he was OK in March but regularly lost to IU.

On the other hand, Mike Davis was something like 9-2 against Purdue. We still fired him when it was obvious that he would never materialize success in March.

KY is having a meltdown because Cal has won a single game in the NCAAT since COVID. Meanwhile, Purdue fans think they have the best coach in the country, but they have only won THREE games in the NCAAT since COVID.

We have two different sets of standards as fanbases, and that's fine - as insane as they are, I'd much rather have the same types of standards that KY fans want for their program than settle for mediocrity and late nights with West Laffy Barn animals.

Last edited:
The obsession with IU is very much real. The only reason they have kept Painter around, despite his historically abysmal March record, is because he has a decent record against IU. It's worth noting Painter's tenure coincides with our historic downturn. It's also worth pointing out that Painter could win a Natty this year and still have an abysmal March record over his 19-year career as HC at Purdue.

I have zero doubt that Purdue would can Painter if he was OK in March but regularly lost to IU.

On the other hand, Mike Davis was something like 9-2 against Purdue. We still fired him when it was obvious that he would never materialize success in March.

We have two different sets of standards as fanbases, and that's fine - as insane as they are, I'd much rather have the same types of standards that KY fans want for their program than settle for mediocrity and late nights with West Laffy Barn animals.
Standards? IU is selling us the moon and giving us a moon pie....without the RC Cola. What fan base in any sport, pro or college is as disconnected from the program they support as IU basketball fans are from this basketball program? It is going to take a fan boycott to get these knuckleheads to act decisively and at a high professional level. IU basketball has needed a premier head coach for decades.....think of that....decades. Lawrence, Kansas, Durham, NC, Lexington, KY, Chapel Hill, NC....These towns would be burned to the ground before they would let the same thing happen to them. There is not a more loyal fanbase than Indiana, anywhere. But when I think about the commitment to excellence that is advertised: Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.

Last edited:
Standards? IU is selling us the moon and giving us a moon pie....without the RC Cola. What fan base in ianyport, pro or college is is connected from the program they support as IU basketball fans are from this basketball program? It is going to take a fan boycott to get these knuckleheads to act decisively and at a high professional level. IU basketball has needed a premier head coach for decades.....think of that....decades. Lawrence, Kansas, Durham, NC, Lexington, KY, Chapel Hill, NC....These towns would be burned to the ground before they would let the same thing happen to them. There is not a more loyal fanbase than Indiana, anywhere. But when I think about the commitment to excellence that is advertised: Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.
I get what you are saying. But Tom Crean, Kelvin Sampson, and Archie Miller were each the Dusty Mays of their era when we were on the hunt - F4 resumes at places that weren't nearly of the caliber as IU, and names that were on everyone's 'short list'.

Dolson has his head out of his rear - he gets credit for locking in Moren's deal and bringing on Cig which, for the moment, looks like a home run hire. He threw real $$ at Stevens before meddling from the BoT brought on Woodson. I think he has Woodson's number in terms of expectations for this upcoming year. We just need some grey hairs on the BoT to get out of Dolson's way if Woodson underperforms again.

Truer words never spoken. I had friends root for the Russians in those late 80s exhibition games. They rooted for the Fn Soviets. Weird. That’s how much they hated RMK.
I wonder why? May be that the head varsity coach at IU brings a donkey onto his television show with a Purdue hat on? And you guys think the Boilermakers were the instigators in all this. Pot meet kettle...

You can dish but when it comes back everybody else is "weird" and "obsessed".

Cracks me up.

We just need some grey hairs on the BoT to get out of Dolson's way if Woodson underperforms again.
Of course, he is going to underperform. The fact that there is anybody part of IU's management that thinks they're going to see something different is the problem.

Have you been around Purdue fans? They’re a weird bunch and almost all of them dislike IU.

Yea their team is doing well, no idea why that makes them likeable.

But, it’s a free country in terms of who you like.
I have several pu friends

they don't even bother to talk shit anymore knowing how much we suck

I think they almost feel sorry.....

I wonder why? May be that the head varsity coach at IU brings a donkey onto his television show with a Purdue hat on? And you guys think the Boilermakers were the instigators in all this. Pot meet kettle...

Cracks me up.
Purdue fans loved that skit with the donkey...it was better than crack...the entertainment value of RMK and Keady was priceless. They wouldn't have traded the Knight years for anything. Watching RMK walk onto the court at Mackey every year was Nirvana in that place.

I'll repeat myself.....because it bears repeating: The best thing that could happen to IU basketball is for Purdue to win a Natty. IU lacks the necessary motivation to fix the basketball program....maybe that would do it. Nothing brings the best out of Duke like UNC....and vice versa. They are always in the conversation....and get the pick of the litter in recruiting, year after year. IU has this archaic view that we are the patriarch of Indiana basketball. I want Purdue to win it all for Purdue.....and for IU.
Not sure that a tactical nuclear blast in Bton (Purdue winning a Natty) would jolt the administration. Be more like “it’s really sunny and warm today.”

Reactions: Harpo Marxist
Not sure that a tactical nuclear blast in Bton (Purdue winning a Natty) would jolt the administration. Be more like “it’s really sunny and warm today.”
I know...look....I should have put the customary disclaimer on there..."This is just a test of your emergency broadcast system"......

Of course, he is going to underperform. The fact that there is anybody part of IU's management that thinks they're going to see something different is the problem.
Are you competent barrister??

From simple analysis of nomenclature and syntax it seems that you may not be qualified to speak of “competence”.

But you go girl……

Cracks me up.

What’s Russian for “rent free on the IU board”?

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I get it. Easy to poke fun. But not a good look when IU has been irrelevant for the past 30 years. Purdue has won a Maui invite. IU has not. They have won two consecutive B1G titles. They have been ranked #1 in the country 3 seasons in a row. No B1G team has EVER done that. Only thing missing is the finish with a FF / nat’l title. I cannot envision anything other than at least a trip to FF this season.
May be a little overstated. Indiana has been bad but in the 2000's we have a runner up, three sweet sixteens, 12 NCAA tournament bids, 3 big ten regular season championships and a lot of irrelevant seasons. What does being ranked number 1 three seasons in a row get you. People remember their loss to a 14, 15 and 16 seed more than the number one ranking.

They are good and they did get a favorable draw and I can respect them but not believe they will win or even get to final four this year.

Reactions: DANC
I left my old company 18 months ago. While at the previous company, I had a guy who was a Purdue grad. Each time IU and PU would play, he’d reach out. And most of the time, PU had beat our ass again. MY usual response would be “hang the banner. Congrats, you won your nat’l championship”. And that was about it. We never hung out nor even worked in the same departments, but paths would cross every once in awhile due to large cross functional team meetings. And this, stayed connected in that way.

About a month ago or 17 months after leaving the company and my association with him, he finds me on LinkedIn to take a jab following the IU loss to Nebraska. We are not even connected, he sent me an invite to connect and attached a note to it about “Not believing IU cannot recruit shooters”. The obsession with IU is real. I do believe it’s an inferiority complex. Whatever it is, it falls into the weird / borderline creepy category. They have issues.
Yep, same. I've had people I haven't heard from in years contact me after a PU win. And I never contact them, even after we have won.

I have a nephew-in-law who loves to do that. Stays quiet and sheepish if we beat PU, but it's the first thing I hear after a PU win.

Definitely an inferiority complex.

Reactions: aajohn2000
I live in NC but do run into PU alumni from time to time. Their disdain for IU is like a disease. It’s an obsession.
I live in NC, too. Charlotte. Moved down her 4 years ago to be near the grandkids.

I'm shocked at how little UNC or Duke trash talk there is around here.

Me either. But that's not what I am saying. They have the mojo. They are the program of the state. While IU has had flashes, Purdue is the model of consistency and have had a lot of success. It's do or die this year as I do not think they will ever have a better chance or draw than this season. Edey is a beast and will not see another like him for a very long time, if ever.
All I will say is that the best Indiana born coach in the last 100 years would have walked on his hands from Delaware County to Bloomington to play for the Hoosiers. Indiana’s loss has been Purdue’s gain. He wins, remembers he is a representative of his alma mater and conducts himself accordingly and is a great promoter of Big Ten, Indiana high school, Olympic and International basketball. He is a lock for the HOF.

I work with a ton of PU fans. They don’t have an inferiority complex at all. They view it as a rivalry that they dominate. Most don’t remember IU being good because they are in their 30’s and early 40’s.
lol Your post got liked by PU fans. Congrats.

Ask them why they yell "IU Sucks" when they're not playing IU. If that doesn't scream 'inferiority complex', I don't know what does.

• Haha
Purdue fans loved that skit with the donkey...it was better than crack...the entertainment value of RMK and Keady was priceless. They wouldn't have traded the Knight years for anything. Watching RMK walk onto the court at Mackey every year was Nirvana in that place.
The best was when he walked out and lifted up a PU cheerleader's skirt that said "IU sucks" on their butt, so when the male cheerleaders held them up, the crowd could see it.

The crowd went berserk and Knight just laughed. Classic.

Isn't Woody 3-3 against PU? Not saying that will continue and I hope Woody leaves, but it ain't exactly hard to reach their level. Would you rather have Bob Knight or Gene Keady?

Edey is just big. He will get exposed in the NBA and won't stick. You can't just play 5 feet from the basket in the NBA.
If Edey is just big then why have other college players his size not scored or rebounded like him?? Would like to know your opinion 😊

All I will say is that the best Indiana born coach in the last 100 years would have walked on his hands from Delaware County to Bloomington to play for the Hoosiers. Indiana’s loss has been Purdue’s gain. He wins, remembers he is a representative of his alma mater and conducts himself accordingly and is a great promoter of Big Ten, Indiana high school, Olympic and International basketball. He is a lock for the HOF.
I'm sure the list is bigger, but better than Brad Stevens, Scott Drew, Pop, Norm Sloan, Bobby Leonard?

You will find out the answer to that question during his professional career. He chose to stay in the minors.

You will find out the answer to that question during his professional career. He chose to stay in the minors.
How then does he average about 24 PPG and 12 RPG if he is just big. Why will you not answer the question. All you have done is project what his future will be.

How then does he average about 24 PPG and 12 RPG if he is just big. Why will you not answer the question. All you have done is project what his future will be.
I guess Trace Jackson Davis was just big too?

Is he better than Steve Alford? If he is, it isn't by much.
Good point. Steve has a better record and has been to the SW16. I assume Painter has also, but it's been a while, and I imagine Steven has been more times.

• Haha
I request that you wake me up when Edey has TJD's NBA production. TJD is an athletic freak, Edey is not.
You still have not answered the initial question. Probably because you don’t have any answer for it. All you do is avoid it like any good attorney does🤣🤣🤣
Leave Jimbo alone. His only bball joys are claiming Edey is just big and posting the FDU video.
had to believe but it seems that Jimbo is silent 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT