ADVERTISEMENT

Tough to say it, but have to tip hat to Purdue

I live in NC, too. Charlotte. Moved down her 4 years ago to be near the grandkids.

I'm shocked at how little UNC or Duke trash talk there is around here.
Yes. I think the respect between them is very evident and agree, little to no trash talk. I live in Raleigh area and plenty of fans of both programs around.

Reactions: DANC
I think Purdue may have trouble getting past Gonzaga. They've figured some things out and are playing really well.

We’re 1 season removed from IU sweeping one of their historically best teams. And in that same season they had the single worst and most embarrassing loss in college basketball history.

I’m not worried about Purdue, no matter that they do the next few weeks.

I’m worried about IU. The second IU hires a good coach, all this Purdue BS goes away. Woodson is one of the weakest coaches we’ve ever had, and with a couple good players, he swept one of their best teams ever.

We’re 1 season removed from IU sweeping one of their historically best teams. And in that same season they had the single worst and most embarrassing loss in college basketball history.

I’m worried about IU. The second IU hires a good coach, all this Purdue BS goes away. Woodson is one of the weakest coaches we’ve ever had, and with a couple good players, he swept one of their best teams ever.
North, I don’t really think last years team was one one of their best ever. Freshmen guards, inconsistent play from their 3/4 players. They were just well coached and the B10 was mediocre.
They got exposed and flamed out.

North, I don’t really think last years team was one one of their best ever. Freshmen guards, inconsistent play from their 3/4 players. They were just well coached and the B10 was mediocre.
They got exposed and flamed out.
They spent a chunk of the year number 1. They were the number 1 overall seed. They won the BTT. Purdue had literally never seen a season like that in their history prior to FDU.

Baby boilers best team?…Big Dogs best team? Maybe?? Not many better than last years team.

Just have 45 yrs dealing with our emotional little brothers.
So you might possibly remember the boorish behavior of Hoosiers in the 70s and 80s. Like I said, you can dish but...I believe there's just a little satisfaction from Boilermakers turning the tables - just a bit - from those days.

So you might possibly remember the boorish behavior of Hoosiers in the 70s and 80s. Like I said, you can dish but...I believe there's just a little satisfaction from Boilermakers turning the tables - just a bit - from those days.
Woody is 3-3 against PU and should have been fired yesterday, lol. The difference is I don't live on the PU board.

You still have not answered the initial question. Probably because you don’t have any answer for it. All you do is avoid it like any good attorney does🤣🤣🤣

had to believe but it seems that Jimbo is silent 🤔
I think staying in the minors and not moving up to play with the big boys speaks for itself. We all remember the kid that was too old for little league, but played, anyways.

Yes we swept them but they had the better season. Also you have to admit PU is doing it more the IU way than IU.

They won both regular and conference tourney BIG last year
And they lost to IU twice, so we didn't hear that shit then. Also not after they lost to the 16th seed.

Stop pretending you're not a PU fan.

I'm sure the list is bigger, but better than Brad Stevens, Scott Drew, Pop, Norm Sloan, Bobby Leonard?
Hmm. Well Jimbo, for starters you can scratch Homer and Scott Drew. They were born in St Louis and Kansas City. Stevens has six years total coaching college basketball ( this is a college basketball forum). Scratch Slick who never coached a single game of college basketball. That leaves Norm Sloan. Indiana born, 38 years as a coach at Presbyterian, The Citadel, Florida twice and North Carolina State. Yes he won a NC, but it was pretty tainted. Could not play in 1973 NCAA despite a 27-0 record because of violations in the recruitment of David Thompson. Won with Thompson in 1974. Forced to resign from Florida in 1989 because of numerous NCAA violations which resulted in Florida’s 1987 and 1988 NCAAT appearances being erased from the record books. He was given a 5 year “Show Cause penalty” which effectively ended his career. In 38 years he won 2 ACC regular season championships and 3 ACC tournament titles and 1 SEC regular season title. His winning percentage was .613. Is that the best you can do?

They spent a chunk of the year number 1. They were the number 1 overall seed. They won the BTT. Purdue had literally never seen a season like that in their history prior to FDU.

Baby boilers best team?…Big Dogs best team? Maybe?? Not many better than last years team.
The Joe Barry Carroll Boilers may have been their best team. At least they had their most tourney success.

Good point. Steve has a better record and has been to the SW16. I assume Painter has also, but it's been a while, and I imagine Steven has been more times.

Painter and Purdue have been to the S16 in 5 of the last 7 tournaments.

This is what gets lost. Purdue is perennially a 2nd weekend team.

It's struggle has been to get to that 3rd weekend.

This place is going to implode if Painter can start a streak of Final Fours... He is much closer to that then most here want to admit.

He keeps knocking on that door and it's going to get knocked down.

Painter and Purdue have been to the S16 in 5 of the last 7 tournaments.

This is what gets lost. Purdue is perennially a 2nd weekend team.

It's struggle has been to get to that 3rd weekend.

This place is going to implode if Painter can start a streak of Final Fours... He is much closer to that then most here want to admit.

He keeps knocking on that door and it's going to get knocked down.
Well that's not true. They've lost in the first round the last 3 years, haven't they?

Last edited:
WTF
Feel good for them. F*** that. Then you didn't despise them 47 years.
You can respect what they have done but hope they win it all!!! HELL no.
You should be banned here if that would happen.
So, if he hopes Purdue wins it all, does that mean he is not a TRUE IU fan? Just kidding.

Well that's not true. They've lost in the first round the last 3 years, haven't they?

That's the narrative most believe, but it's now 5 of 7 tournaments into the 2nd weekend.

Media skewed a lot of narratives because of the 3 double digits seed losses which was a story but the 2nd weekend narrative should get more recognition IMO.

The obsession with IU is very much real. The only reason they have kept Painter around, despite his historically abysmal March record, is because he has a decent record against IU. It's worth noting Painter's tenure coincides with our historic downturn. It's also worth pointing out that Painter could win a Natty this year and still have an abysmal March record over his 19-year career as HC at Purdue.

I have zero doubt that Purdue would can Painter if he was OK in March but regularly lost to IU.

On the other hand, Mike Davis was something like 9-2 against Purdue. We still fired him when it was obvious that he would never materialize success in March.

KY is having a meltdown because Cal has won a single game in the NCAAT since COVID. Meanwhile, Purdue fans think they have the best coach in the country, but they have only won THREE games in the NCAAT since COVID.

We have two different sets of standards as fanbases, and that's fine - as insane as they are, I'd much rather have the same types of standards that KY fans want for their program than settle for mediocrity and late nights with West Laffy Barn animals.
That mindset is one of the reasons why your program is where it is. They've been to the sweet 16 five out of the last seven years and have won three BIG10 titles in five years...couple that with very good recruiting classes and a great academic record. Universally, Matt Painter is thought of as one of the best coaches in the country. Unless you are Kansas, Duke, or Kentucky, you take those results all day. Indiana is not in that triumphant.

Indiana is at the point where you have to buy your team. No culture or tradition, no buy in from the players other than the check. You'll have another coach soon and if history repeats itself, nothing will change. The Georgetown of the BIG10...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT