ADVERTISEMENT

Another Loss for the Big10

SIhoosier26

All-Big Ten
Sep 9, 2017
I want to start by saying that I couldn't be happier that Purdue lost, remember Purdue fans ALL of that just to still be behind 5-0.

That said the Big10 has now been without a college basketball championship for 25 years and counting. IU being down has certainly not helped but the main reason to those that have been paying attention is the way the game is called now.

No longer are you allowed to tackle the opposing players and outside of the BIG10 (where that's still allowed) there's a beautiful game of basketball being played. This has hurt the conference's recruiting at the guard position and made it nearly impossible for the conference to succeed in March.

Especially with expansion the conference really needs to look inward and realize that they're their own worst enemy. Get refs that know how to call basketball games fair no matter which team is home, stop babying players, (Edey this year) and more importantly stop letting the home team play tackle football against the opposition.

It's killing recruiting for the conference and making it impossible for teams to adjust to what they're actually going to see late in the year. The BIG10 already has the reputation as a poorly called league and until that goes away these losses in March are going to continue. Going to be even more interesting now that expansion is upon us.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the lack of accountability for the BIG refs about the way the games are called as well and while many look at the BIG10 being a physical conference as a positive it is certainly not a positive for recruiting.

I want to start be saying that I couldn't be happier that Purdue lost, remember Purdue fans ALL of that just to still be behind 5-0.

That said the Big10 has now been without a college basketball championship for 25 years and counting. IU being down has certainly not helped but the main reason to those that have been paying attention is the way the game is called now.

No longer are you allowed to tackle the opposing players and outside of the BIG10 (where that's still allowed) there's a beautiful game of basketball being played. This has hurt the conference's recruiting at the guard position and made it nearly impossible for the conference to succeed in March.

Especially with expansion the conference really needs to look inward and realize that they're their own worst enemy. Get refs that know how to call basketball games fair no matter which team is home, stop babying players, (Edey this year) and more importantly stop letting the home team play tackle football against the opposition.

It's killing recruiting for the conference and making it impossible for teams to adjust to what they're actually going to see late in the year. The BIG10 already has the reputation as a poorly called league and until that goes away these losses in March are going to continue. Going to be even more interesting now that expansion is upon us.
I mentioned this below not only title since 1989 thats almost back to alford. Kind of embarrassing given we are a p5 conference. Purdue had an easy draw but once faced with bigger top notch guards was no match.

I mentioned this below not only title since 1989 thats almost back to alford. Kind of embarrassing given we are a p5 conference. Purdue had an easy draw but once faced with bigger top notch guards was no match.
Was going to say that as well, they had one of the easiest draws possible, got lucky with an 11 seed playin in the final 4 and their toughest opponent leading up was 8 loss Gonzaga who plays in the WCC.

I mean good for them and congrats but they played largely nobody until Uconn where they were beaten soundly.

Reactions: 76-1
Was going to say that as well, they had one of the easiest draws possible, got lucky with an 11 seed playin in the final 4 and their toughest opponent leading up was 8 loss Gonzaga who plays in the WCC.

I mean good for them and congrats but they played largely nobody until Uconn where they were beaten soundly.
yep nice run but really had no serious competition meaning mostly nobody to guard edey so their inside out game could work easy. Once they put a bigger guy on him with athletic guards purdue was done. Edey could not kick it out uconns guards are too big and quick.

I thought the only chance purdue had was edey getting their bigs into early trouble so they went out and he had smaller guys on him

Reactions: 76-1
yep nice run but really had no serious competition meaning mostly nobody to guard edey so their inside out game could work easy. Once they put a bigger guy on him with athletic guards purdue was done. Edey could not kick it out uconns guards are too big and quick.

I thought the only chance purdue had was edey getting their bigs into early trouble so they went out and he had smaller guys on him
Never the less, they had a great season: unfortunately, the road was "one bridge to far".

I loved Uconn's gameplan, they knew Edey was going to get his but they also knew that even if he did Purdue's disadvantage at guard was going to be impossible to overcome as long as Uconn didn't beat themselves.

I loved Uconn's gameplan, they knew Edey was going to get his but they also knew that even if he did Purdue's disadvantage at guard was going to be impossible to overcome as long as Uconn didn't beat themselves.
I expected to uconn to win this easily unless the refs interfered. Edey had his way for about 15 minutes but they wore him out and he was done then.

Never the less, they had a great season: unfortunately, the road was "one bridge to far".
They won't be back anytime soon unless they upgrade at guard, of course this goes for pretty much every team in the Big10.

They won't be back anytime soon unless they upgrade at guard, of course this goes for pretty much every team in the Big10.
which is why i cannot understand why anyone thinks woodson can get us far in the tourney. I mean you have to go hire a guy like oats or beard or try and get an up and comer like hurley was who runs an offense not like the big ten.

B10 had a good tournament, all things considered. But for certain, the guard play in the B10 needs to improve. Alabama gave UConn, really, its only challenge in the tournament. And their guard play, Sears namely, were a big part of that challenge.

I've been pushing Woody to force the change at IU since a couple weeks in to his first season. I think IU is uniquely situated to be able to break the B10 mold, but they need a coach that recognizes it, runs a style that will attract good guards, and in the end will just force it to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT