ADVERTISEMENT

Solving The NCAA Exclusion Problem

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
After the disaster of Selection Sunday, let's see if We can find some out of the box solutions to the problem.
The season for most teams now begins in October or early November Many teams play non counted Exhibition Games (glorified scrimmages) before playing meaningful games. Conferences are now so large that it has become impossible to play a round robin or even balanced Conference Schedule. My suggestion is this.

We cut a week off the season whether it involves knocking out Exhibition Games, cutting the number of Conference games or compressing the season by playing Conference games closer together. Teams can't play more than 30 countable games ( Conference Tourney games are an exempt addition). We cut a week off the season calendar and all Conferences complete their Tournaments a week earlier. The NCAA then identifies the Conference Tournament Automatic Bid Winners and the additional teams They want for an initial 60 Team Field. They don't seed teams at that point.

They then identify the next 16 Teams and have them compete the following week in a play in Tournament structured like a traditional High School Tournament. Four Games on Thursday, with the winners moving on to play on Saturday., with the Winners moving into the field. Same thing with a Friday- Sunday arrangement for teams in the other bracket. The brackets and games are set by blind draw, no seeding. Once the Sunday games are played, and the NCAA knows the entire field, it seeds the teams and We get the 64 team field and brackets We have today.

The losing teams can take the ball and go Home and shut up until next year, or accept an Nit bid without whining. It may not solve all the problems, but it might help.

After the disaster of Selection Sunday, let's see if We can find some out of the box solutions to the problem.
The season for most teams now begins in October or early November Many teams play non counted Exhibition Games (glorified scrimmages) before playing meaningful games. Conferences are now so large that it has become impossible to play a round robin or even balanced Conference Schedule. My suggestion is this.

We cut a week off the season whether it involves knocking out Exhibition Games, cutting the number of Conference games or compressing the season by playing Conference games closer together. Teams can't play more than 30 countable games ( Conference Tourney games are an exempt addition). We cut a week off the season calendar and all Conferences complete their Tournaments a week earlier. The NCAA then identifies the Conference Tournament Automatic Bid Winners and the additional teams They want for an initial 60 Team Field. They don't seed teams at that point.

They then identify the next 16 Teams and have them compete the following week in a play in Tournament structured like a traditional High School Tournament. Four Games on Thursday, with the winners moving on to play on Saturday., with the Winners moving into the field. Same thing with a Friday- Sunday arrangement for teams in the other bracket. The brackets and games are set by blind draw, no seeding. Once the Sunday games are played, and the NCAA knows the entire field, it seeds the teams and We get the 64 team field and brackets We have today.

The losing teams can take the ball and go Home and shut up until next year, or accept an Nit bid without whining. It may not solve all the problems, but it might help.
get a competent coach and make it a non-issue.

Reactions: kmathum
Or simply make the conference tournaments part of the NCAA tournament. Only the conference tournament champions (or top 2 teams) advance to the seeding portion which is the 32 division 1 basketball conference champions.

It'll never happen because the power conferences would lose money/notoriety of their other top teams in their conference but in the early stages of cbball, it would've been a good format.

Or simply make the conference tournaments part of the NCAA tournament. Only the conference tournament champions (or top 2 teams) advance to the seeding portion which is the 32 division 1 basketball conference champions.

It'll never happen because the power conferences would lose money/notoriety of their other top teams in their conference but in the early stages of cbball, it would've been a good format.
Since every conference has a tournament, no team can realistically say they got left out, they just didn't win their way in. No need to muck with the system, there is not a single team that can realistically say they did not have a fair chance to make the NCAA even if they had failed to win any games before the conference tourneys started.

Since every conference has a tournament, no team can realistically say they got left out, they just didn't win their way in. No need to muck with the system, there is not a single team that can realistically say they did not have a fair chance to make the NCAA even if they had failed to win any games before the conference tourneys started.
haha The reason to muck with the system is why this thread is in place. Teams aren't complaining that they didn't have a shot, they're stating the current system leaves it up to interpretation where the committee decides who are the last teams in line to receive at-large bids. The idea of a new format is to take out any possible bias or weird scientific methods that are hard to quantify. When the tournament grew to 64 teams in 85, there were 282 D1 teams and now there are 357.

Just eliminate the conference tournament, NIT, and CBI and add 3 rounds to the NCAA tournament and let everyone in.

It gives Purdue a chance to choke in March in new but still unparalleled ways.

What about a mid Big Ten season conference tournament weekend?

I'm all for throwing it in the dumpster where the CFB non playoff bowl games are burning.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
What about a mid Big Ten season conference tournament weekend?

I'm all for throwing it in the dumpster where the CFB non playoff bowl games are burning.
Eh, I just don't care about the conference tournament, which is mostly because we have been so bad in it. It's only interesting if you're on the bubble or you need an auto-bid. And since they made it almost impossible for a longshot to win with the stupid double bye format, it's hardly ever interesting.

Way more fun to watch the 237 seed knock out the 20 seed on a random Friday night.

Just eliminate the conference tournament, NIT, and CBI and add 3 rounds to the NCAA tournament and let everyone in.

It gives Purdue a chance to choke in March in new but still unparalleled ways.
And it gives us a chance to get beat in the first round by podunk u. Great ideas being presented to try to offset a lousy coach and team that doesn't care.

Reactions: kmathum

The losing teams can take the ball and go Home and shut up until next year, or accept a Nit bid without whining. It may not solve all the problems, but it might help.
No need to change it. Tourney works as is…very seldom is a team deserving truly left out.

And it gives us a chance to get beat in the first round by podunk u. Great ideas being presented to try to offset a lousy coach and team that doesn't care.
Giant killings are the best part of the NCAA tournament (and the FA cup in English soccer). My solution has nothing to do with trying to offset IU's lousy season. It just sounds more fun to me, especially since the conference tournaments kinda suck.

If IU misses any of the next 3 NCAA tournaments, I say fire him.

Giant killings are the best part of the NCAA tournament (and the FA cup in English soccer). My solution has nothing to do with trying to offset IU's lousy season. It just sounds more fun to me, especially since the conference tournaments kinda suck.

If IU misses any of the next 3 NCAA tournaments, I say fire him.
This is why I quit following the Hoosiers. 3more years? He should have been gone THIS year.

This is why I quit following the Hoosiers. 3more years? He should have been gone THIS year.
Lol. You quit following the hoosiers because every single hoosiers fan doesn't agree with you about firing a coach after 3 seasons?

You're the kinda guy we couldn't play basketball with, because you'd take your ball and go home the first time someone called a foul on you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT