ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible Offseason So Far

Take a breath, dude.

I wish IU would have convinced Woodson to "retire" too, but they didn't. Grabbing 5 or 6 of the first players to jump into the portal would've been terrible strategy. LOL

Let the process play out...
Well let's take it easy. CMW's comments make me think he reads these things...I don't want him out there signing portal players who can't help just 'cause you're on here griping about it.

;)

Reactions: Willdog7
The season has been over for 9 days but a horrible offseason during that time.

1. Woodson wasn’t fired
2. No assistants have been let go—assuming it isn’t happening since there’s been no news.
3. No word about how Woodson will correct this mess from the AD or someone in the department.
4. Purdue is in the Sweet 16 and likely going to advance further
5. Have 6-7 spots to fill on the roster.
6. May was hired at Michigan
7. All quiet on the transfer portal. There should be a visit or 2 on the docket right now with this $6 million in NIL funds.

Am I missing anything else? Apathy is in full swing with a lack of commitment to turning this around and becoming a winning program again. It feels like IU is 4-5 years at minimum from becoming relevant again. That’s assuming the athletic department is committed to a winning attitude and mindset. And end rant.
I remember hearing all the media experts claiming if woodson comes back he must make staff changes and must drastically change how he plays. I knew neither would happen and it appears at least so far the staff will be the exact same. Woodson is a stubborn old man and he is not going to change a thing.

And you forgot to mention Sampson is looking like a legit threat to make another final four.

The season has been over for 9 days but a horrible offseason during that time.

1. Woodson wasn’t fired
2. No assistants have been let go—assuming it isn’t happening since there’s been no news.
3. No word about how Woodson will correct this mess from the AD or someone in the department.
4. Purdue is in the Sweet 16 and likely going to advance further
5. Have 6-7 spots to fill on the roster.
6. May was hired at Michigan
7. All quiet on the transfer portal. There should be a visit or 2 on the docket right now with this $6 million in NIL funds.

Am I missing anything else? Apathy is in full swing with a lack of commitment to turning this around and becoming a winning program again. It feels like IU is 4-5 years at minimum from becoming relevant again. That’s assuming the athletic department is committed to a winning attitude and mindset. And end rant.
How do you know our NIL budget? Is it posted somewhere for public consumption?

They were purchased. Recruiting is building relationships and building a team. Hitting Montverde and buying the top kids doesn’t make you a good recruiter.
Better tell Duke, Kentucky, Kansas et al thats a big no no

IU still recruits high school kids. UNC shopped the portal harder than anyone last year and Kansas's two best players this year were from the portal.
Iu literally had 7 opening and we got 1 late commit from high school. If you think this is the right method so be it but I don’t

We are bringing in guys with eligibility that should be here a few years.

Rice and Carlyle with three years left and college experience are more appealing than most freshman that have to learn the college game (takes time and there is risk).

Tucker could easily be more than one year, especially since NIL looks pretty good vs a lot of 2nd round deals.

There is plenty to be worried about, but I don’t see many one and done rentals except Ballo so far.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
Iu literally had 7 opening and we got 1 late commit from high school. If you think this is the right method so be it but I don’t
Teams like Duke, Kentucky and Kansas have 7 opening's every year because they recruit rental players whether it be from high school or the portal.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
And have a 6 man recruiting class coming in
I'd rather have 6 one year rentals from the portal who have played 3-4 years of college basketball over 6 OAD freshman. But at the end of the day what is the difference in terms of turnover? None. You're missing the forest through the trees.

I'd rather have 6 one year rentals from the portal who have played 3-4 years of college basketball over 6 OAD freshman. But at the end of the day what is the difference in terms of turnover? None. You're missing the forest through the trees.
I’m not advocating for one and done and rentals.
I would much rather recruit kids that we can develop and build around. I’m tired of PU winning and IU looking like idiots despite winning the recruiting rankings war every year. Build a team, a culture and win. I would rather watch a kid from Indiana like Braden Smith vs bringing in a one year kid from Monteverde every year.

I would much rather recruit kids that we can develop and build around. I’m tired of PU winning and IU looking like idiots despite winning the recruiting rankings war every year. Build a team, a culture and win. I would rather watch a kid from Indiana like Braden Smith vs bringing in a one year kid from Monteverde every year.
Go f**** root for Purdue then. There are a lot more successful programs out there and they don't build anything like Purdue. Give me a JHS every year over a Braden Smith any day of the week. Braden Smith isn't half of what he is without Zach Edey.....an IMG kid.

Go f**** root for Purdue then. There are a lot more successful programs out there and they don't build anything like Purdue. Give me a JHS every year over a Braden Smith any day of the week. Braden Smith isn't half of what he is without Zach Edey.....an IMG kid.
Wow ok. I guess I am in minority of the “new” era of IU fans. Most IU fans loved seeing your Alford, Bensons, Jeffries, Coverdales, Baileys come through the door and win. Now we have went the Noah Vonleh type one and done and rentals and don’t win crap. Sorry for speaking up..

Yeah, this off-season has been awful, add the top guy in the portal in a position of need, have a P6 all-conference PG committed, and are favored to get another guard with PG all-conference recognition later this week. On top of that have 3 other potential backup bigs in this week and a shooter in today.

Top that off by replacing the top 20 recruit we lost with another top 20ish kid, yep has to be the worst off-season in history!

I am guessing if we get a commit from Carlyle and one of the 3 bigs visiting this week we will have a top 5-10 class when accounting for HS kids and transfers

Wow ok. I guess I am in minority of the “new” era of IU fans. Most IU fans loved seeing your Alford, Bensons, Jeffries, Coverdales, Baileys come through the door and win. Now we have went the Noah Vonleh type one and done and rentals and don’t win crap. Sorry for speaking up..
College basketball today is entirely different than it was 30 and 40 years ago. You ever stop and think that's why Purdue has been the most chronically underachieving team in the country up until this year in that same time frame? And it took a 7'4 giant from Canada of all places to buck that trend.

Last edited:
Reactions: nichlee
Yeah, this off-season has been awful, add the top guy in the portal in a position of need, have a P6 all-conference PG committed, and are favored to get another guard with PG all-conference recognition later this week. On top of that have 3 other potential backup bigs in this week and a shooter in today.

Top that off by replacing the top 20 recruit we lost with another top 20ish kid, yep has to be the worst off-season in history!

I am guessing if we get a commit from Carlyle and one of the 3 bigs visiting this week we will have a top 5-10 class when accounting for HS kids and transfers
He wants 4 year players from Tipton and New Castle. It's his schtick.

• Haha
Reactions: Vern Pain
College basketball today is entirely different than it was 30 and 40 years ago. You ever stop and think that's why Purdue has been the most chronic underachieving team in the country up until this year in that same time frame? And it took a 7'4 giant from Canada of all places to buck that trend.
PU has been a back to back number 1 seed, and elite 8 4 years ago by recruiting the state.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
Yes they do.
There isn't a chance in hell they'd have made the tournament two years ago without Edey with a backcourt of Smith, Loyer, and Morton. Put the crack pipe down. Might have been an 8 seed this year; who knows or cares.

Bottom line that team couldn't manufacture a point or play a lick of defense without Edey standing under the basket for 35 minutes a game this year. Purdue could have recruited 8 kids from Mongolia and been in the same position so long as Edey was there. Purdue being a #1 seed the last two years has nothing to do with them recruiting the state of Indiana.

There isn't a chance in hell they'd have made the tournament two years ago without Edey with a backcourt of Smith, Loyer, and Morton. Put the crack pipe down. Might have been an 8 seed this year; who knows or cares.

Bottom line that team couldn't manufacture a point or play a lick of defense without Edey standing under the basket for 35 minutes a game this year. Purdue could have recruited 8 kids from Mongolia and been in the same position so long as Edey was there. Purdue being a #1 seed the last two years has nothing to do with them recruiting the state of Indiana.
I guess we will see next year if that’s true.

I guess we will see next year if that’s true.
Ya comparing a bunch of players in their underclassmen years to their upperclassmen years has always been a 1 on 1 comparison. For your sake you better hope a team full of Indiana kids makes the tournament next year or else you wouldn't have any other talking points.

Ya comparing a bunch of players in their underclassmen years to their upperclassmen years has always been a 1 on 1 comparison. For your sake you better hope a team full of Indiana kids makes the tournament next year or else you wouldn't have any other talking points.
Hey I will eat crow dude. Why you mad? You don’t Think Indiana should make the state its focal point? The strategy lately hasn’t worked while it has in WL. That’s what’s frustrating

Hey I will eat crow dude. Why you mad? You don’t Think Indiana should make the state its focal point? The strategy lately hasn’t worked while it has in WL. That’s what’s frustrating
IU does recruit and target the best from the state, I'm not sure who told you otherwise? But to think IU needs to offer guys like Brian Waddell or Jack Benter or whoever simply because they're from Indiana is total nonsense. You don't need to waste scholarships on 4-5 year players who aren't going to be anything more than a 9th or 10th man in this climate of college basketball. The talent in this state fluctuates year to year, there's no quota that you MUST sign 4-5 guys a class from Indiana. Purdue does because they don't have the NIL or resources to compete with the other top programs.

Yeah, Woody dropped the ball. Archie's "inside out" recruiting strategy was really paying dividends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT