ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible Offseason So Far

One is still recruiting high school kids. We are signing 6 portal kids. See the difference?
IMO the only difference between bringing in a recruit from high school that leaves for the NBA after his sophomore year and bringing in a kid from the portal that has 2 years of eligibility left is that only one of them allows you to push your narrative……

Reactions: nichlee
IMO the only difference between bringing in a recruit from high school that leaves for the NBA after his sophomore year and bringing in a kid from the portal that has 2 years of eligibility left is that only one of them allows you to push your narrative……
Rice and Carlyle have three years left, and unlike freshman they’re proven and experienced, which is great, because we have seen freshman heavy teams don’t work too well. This is a sweet spot in the portal.

Rice and Carlyle each still have 3 years of eligibility and Tucker is a true freshman. Can’t get much closer than that. So far, Ballo is the only 1 year guy, for sure.

Rice and Carlyle each still have 3 years of eligibility and Tucker is a true freshman. Can’t get much closer than that. So far, Ballo is the only 1 year guy, for sure.
Sure takes the sting out of Boogie, who looks pretty great but will have freshman issues and is more likely around for one year.

I wonder if Rice and Carlyle NIL combined is about one Boogie. Regardless, I like the route we took sitting here in April, of course it has to work.

Alabama? They brought in 8 dudes last year. 4 transfers. K state? Iowa st.? I mean you want this narrative fine but with the portal you don’t need a bunch of high school kids.
You think you don’t still have recruiting as your foundation?

Why? You don’t need to. Freshman are a crapshoot. Why not get proven 4* for 2-3 years. I know…you are fascinated and giddy over how Purdue does it.
Ok guess this the new age and this is the answer. I will just wait and see if this strategy works this year

We haven’t seen PU in NIL era without unicorn NPOY Lurch. I suspect they will shift to every other larger school’s portal approach. Can’t count on lower rated high school kids to maybe develop.

Last edited:
Ok guess this the new age and this is the answer. I will just wait and see if this strategy works this year
What strategy? You mean the strategy a lot of teams use? Who wouldn’t want a bunch of veterans if needed? Illinois just signed 4.

Neither are the portal kids were bringing in.. as it’s been pointed out already.. Ballo is the only kid with one year left.. most expect rice and tucker to be here for multiple years.. Carlyle as well if he comes

I don't know who most is, but the only reason we got Tucker was because the G-League closed down the Ignite team. If they are still in operation, he'd be on that team.

He's definitely looking to be a 1 and done.

Reactions: CriticArisen
What strategy? You mean the strategy a lot of teams use? Who wouldn’t want a bunch of veterans if needed? Illinois just signed 4.
We didn’t recruit hardly at all this year Vic and that’s why we know have so many portal spots to go after

• Haha
Reactions: Thcgh
Still work to do but it all comes down to coaching. Hopefully these guys can gel quickly or things could be come very toxic this upcoming year.

I don't know who most is, but the only reason we got Tucker was because the G-League closed down the Ignite team. If they are still in operation, he'd be on that team.

His origin story isn’t too inspiring. Didn’t want to play college ball, then he had to with his pro league closing, and we bought him since McNeely left.

However, who knows, he may end up loving IU. He could easily be a two year player, the deals in the 2nd round of the draft are usually pretty poor vs NIL, making that 2nd year in college more likely. He is good but not a sure thing for the draft.

Just my two cents.

I remember hearing all the media experts claiming if woodson comes back he must make staff changes and must drastically change how he plays. I knew neither would happen and it appears at least so far the staff will be the exact same. Woodson is a stubborn old man and he is not going to change a thing.

And you forgot to mention Sampson is looking like a legit threat to make another final four.
Who is running the team, certainly not you. Coach Ya has helped with the Georgia recruits. All you do is complain,complain, complain.

Reactions: Thcgh

IMO Tucker will not be a one and done, whether he wants to be or not. Rice and Carlyle both of 3 years of eligibility remaining.

The point is.. just because you get kids from the portal doesn’t mean you’re buying one year mercenaries. OP was trying to make a point about how Duke, Kansas UNC etc recruit high school kids which means they have a “healthier” program because they’re not “buying one year mercenaries.” Just because you get dudes out of high school doesn’t mean they’ll stay more than one year and just because you get dudes from the portal doesn’t mean they leave after one year.

This is a simplistic take, to say the least.

They were one very unlikely play away from the FF in '19 v. VA, who ended up winning the NC. Their centers that year were Haarms and Trevion Williams. Other than that, they've generally lost because of choking, injury, or other circumstances. They lost with the Big Dog and C. Martin when they probably had the best team in the country. They never won it with Hummel, Johnson et al possibly because of Hummel's injury. The '69 Mount/Keller/Gillium team lost in the FF to a great UCLA team. Once they started losing there was a psychological block there you could literally feel. Edey was so good this year he was able to knock down that wall, at least for this year.
When’s the parade?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT