5: Quinn Bucker
6: Kent Benson
7: George McGinnis
8: Walt Bellamy
9: Alan Henderson
10: Trayce Jackson Davis. * Has the #s*

To 5 cuts: (No order) Oladipo, Guyton, Woodson, Green, Yogi* Assist*

Maybe i'm forgetting a top 10'er?

** Most definately Don Schlundt pushing at #6 moving TJD to 11.

Last edited:
Wow. I checked out top 50 players at IU ever. Kinda astonished Jay Edwards was 37. I know he only played 2 years. Really surprised me that Dan Dakich's name is nowhere! hahahaha. He would place himself number 1 in history of Hoosier greats. I agree Schlundt and Archie Dees[a #2 nba draft pick] weren't on top 10. Like both of them better than Benson. Bellamy is my all-time favorite followed by Guyton and Oladipo for guys who left it all on the court every game.

Top 5 woulda-shoulda been a Hoosier team-1.Clyde Lovelette,2. Sean May 3. Eric Montross 4. Scott Skiles 5. Josh[ you'll always be part of the IU family] Smith.

Career at IU only.

1: Isiah Thomas
2: Steve Alford
3: Scott May
4: Calbert Cheaney *would be #2 if not for Hendo's injury in 1993*

You talking all-time or that we've seen play?

Top 5 woulda-shoulda been a Hoosier team-1.Clyde Lovelette,2. Sean May 3. Eric Montross 4. Scott Skiles 5. Josh[ you'll always be part of the IU family] Smith.
Uhhh, Oscar?

Maybe you were picking guys who seemed headed to IU, but did IU recruit Skiles? I don't think Oscar wanted to come to IU. Some beef with McCracken? But, wasn't that the issue with Montross (and his Dad) and RMK too?

Skiles is not in my miss list. Hummel is, another Sampson scar.

Wow. I checked out top 50 players at IU ever. Kinda astonished Jay Edwards was 37. I know he only played 2 years. Really surprised me that Dan Dakich's name is nowhere! hahahaha. He would place himself number 1 in history of Hoosier greats. I agree Schlundt and Archie Dees[a #2 nba draft pick] weren't on top 10. Like both of them better than Benson. Bellamy is my all-time favorite followed by Guyton and Oladipo for guys who left it all on the court every game.
Dakich may not have been gifted physically, but as a survivor of “Da Region” he learned to be a hard nosed SOB, something Purdue has and IU could use more of now. The video clip, gone viral, of Edey diving on the floor while Ware stands over him is the perfect example of what’s wrong with IU basketball today-the lack of tenacious intensity of play from a softer coach on full display.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulrey and Indyhorn
Scott Skiles would have been a good one to have. I don’t know if it was his body type scaring coaches away or what, but he was undervalued by both IU and PU. He was a Knight-type player from Plymouth, IN who excelled for Michigan State AND the NBA.
See post above

Scott Skiles would have been a good one to have. I don’t know if it was his body type scaring coaches away or what, but he was undervalued by both IU and PU. He was a Knight-type player from Plymouth, IN who excelled for Michigan State AND the NBA.
It wasn’t his body type

Reactions: kkott
Career at IU only.

No suggestion of who to cut, but Newton and Jeffries need to be on that list, Greg Graham too

• Haha
Reactions: GThomas
Career at IU only.

Guyton is way too high. Did he ever score a meaningful point?

Edwards is missing. He was pretty good and the best clutch shooter IU had in my lifetime.

Hard to rank TJD that high. He played on teams that didn't win anything and couldn't hit a shot outside of 5 feet.

Reactions: ulrey
I know he probably wouldn't make any list but one of my favorites nonetheless was D.J. White. Hard working, great rebounder. Really liked Kirk Hastings also.

Won't let me repost farther down for some reason.

Last edited:
No suggestion of who to cut, but Newton and Jeffries need to be on that list, Greg Graham too
Yeah, Newton is right up there with Bellamy, McGinnis, Henderson, and TJD.

Thank you for the laugh.

Did he have his problem with drugs as far back as high school?
22c6136a-a87e-4de7-b3d5-bf7a3390fc6d_text.gif

he was a decent player, but Newton should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Jeffries and Greg Graham. GG was a first team B1G'er (when the B1G was loaded and with the NPOY on his team), and all conf defender. JJ was an AA. Newton was....a decent player.

Reactions: abraxis
Did he have his problem with drugs as far back as high school?
I think I remember a DUI in HS, if not marijuana rap, too. Cocaine and pot charges, along with a DUI and parole violations while at MSU. He finished there his senior year as 1st team AA and BT MVP. He is still MSU’s single season points leader and holds the NBA single game assist record at 30.

He was built like the proverbial brick sh#t house, that is, solid as a
hard-packed turd stuck in the middle of a three week drought. Man, could he stroke it from deep, all the while carrying around the attitude of a puppy-abused pit bull sporting an ingrown toenail.

• Haha
Reactions: FormerRevMatt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT