ADVERTISEMENT

B10 all time team per school

Landon Turner?

He had perhaps the greatest half-season of any IU player . . . and without him, I don't think IU wins in '81.
I think many folks would agree with the second part of your statement about not winning the NC without him, but not sure what you mean by perhaps the greatest half-season of any IU player?

Reactions: Sope Creek
I think many folks would agree with the second part of your statement about not winning the NC without him, but not sure what you mean by perhaps the greatest half-season of any IU player?
Yeah, I can understand why that might be confusing. Turner wasn't much the first semester. But boy did he turn it on the second half of the season. I remember him hitting jump shots from the baseline at about 12 feet . . . at least it looked like about 12 feet with his height. Here's a retrospective of the season . . . Turner was a key, and so was RMK's turning of the team over to Isiah: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...tory-hoosiers-1981-national-title/4587283001/

At one point in the season we were like 7-5. We lost to Pan American . . . . But then IU became a dominant team, one that I believe was the best IU team of all-time. And Turner was a big part of that.

If he wants to talk half seasons, I challenge anyone to top the last half of Woody's senior year.
Yeah . . . I was just looking for a way to get Landon Turner in the discussion of this thread. He was a great talent . . . and didn't show it his freshman and sophomore years, nor the first half of his junior year . . .

. . . but the second half of his junior year . . . wow.

Yeah, I can understand why that might be confusing. Turner wasn't much the first semester. But boy did he turn it on the second half of the season. I remember him hitting jump shots from the baseline at about 12 feet . . . at least it looked like about 12 feet with his height. Here's a retrospective of the season . . . Turner was a key, and so was RMK's turning of the team over to Isiah: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...tory-hoosiers-1981-national-title/4587283001/

At one point in the season we were like 7-5. We lost to Pan American . . . . But then IU became a dominant team, one that I believe was the best IU team of all-time. And Turner was a big part of that.
Big part of the 81 NC run and the turnaround that season: agree 100%. One of the best half-seasons in IU history, to me is a stretch, but 81 was a long time ago. I agree about the comment above about Woody's last half of his senior season and also would put Isiah's above him on the same team. Also I couldn't rate that team above '76.

I used to play some pickup with a guy who played for MD in '81. He said Lefty had told them to sit back and let IU shoot; not good shooters. He said he thought they were in trouble watching IU warm up.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Big part of the 81 NC run and the turnaround that season: agree 100%. One of the best half-seasons in IU history, to me is a stretch, but 81 was a long time ago. I agree about the comment above about Woody's last half of his senior season and also would put Isiah's above him on the same team.

I used to play some pickup with a guy who played for MD in '81. He said Lefty had told them to sit back and let IU shoot; not good shooters. He said he thought they were in trouble watching IU warm up.
Our pastor for a while was Lefty's daughter. I didn't have the heart to tell her I went to IU.

So much for UCLA East.

Reactions: kkott
It was a shame that Driesell's Davidson team in 1969 didn't go to the final four. It lost on a last second shot by North Carolina's Charlie Scott. Davidson's point guard was Fort Wayne North's Dave Moser, whose team went to the championship game in 1965.
That same day that North Carolina went to go to the final four, Purdue knocked off Marquette on Rick Mount's last second shot. That was quite a double header when not many games were televised.

Who else: Herm Gilliam maybe? So that would give you: John Wooden/Schellhase, Rick Mount, Herm Gilliam, Glenn Robinson, and JBC? I think many would disagree, but I think I'd go Schellhase over Wooden, just because of the difference in time. Game had to be very different when JW was playing... no AA's as the most obvious.
Terry Dischinger, sophomore starter and youngest player on the 1960 Gold Medal winning U.S. Olympic team along with Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, Jerry Lucas and Walt Bellamy. Three time Big Ten scoring champ and first player to average more than 30 ppg in a season. He still holds Purdue single season and career rebound average records and averaged 14.3, 13.4 and 13.4 in his three year career as a 6-7 center. Shot 55% from the field and 82% from the free throw line for his college career. Was NBA Rookie of the Year in 1963 averaging 25.5 ppg despite spending time in the military. Member of Basketball Hall of Fame as a player at Purdue and as a member of the 1960 Olympic team and Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame. Three time All Big Ten First team and two time Consensus All America.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT