Jan 28, 2010
pg-thomas
Sg-oladipo
Sf-Chaney
Pf-may
C-Walt bellamy

Bench
Buckner, Alford, Henderson, benson, guyton, McGinnis, Ferrell

How did I do? What would you change you guys know them better than I do.

pg-thomas
Sg-oladipo
Sf-Chaney
Pf-may
C-Walt bellamy

Bench

Pretty good, but I would put Alford in for Olidipo.

Reactions: ulrey
Pretty good, but I would put Alford in for Olidipo.
I was thinking the same thing...no way is Oladipo on an All-time anything Indiana list. I loved watching him play, but all time shooting guard? You've got to be kidding. Alford could shoot in college but even at that, so could a lot of other IU players, ie. Jimmy Rayl.

I only switched them because I k ow there are some Indiana fans that hate Alford for his time after Indiana.

pg-thomas
Sg-oladipo
Sf-Chaney
Pf-may
C-Walt bellamy

Bench

You might not remember Bobby Wilkerson, but any IU greats team isn't complete without him because he really was all that as a defender . . . or Ray Tolbert or Landon Turner or Don Schlundt or Jimmy Rayl or Steve Green or the VanArsdale twins or Tom Abernethy or Steve Downing or Bill Garrett or Dean Garrett (never made that name connection before) or Slick Leonard or Randy Wittman . . . I think I have to include Darryl Thomas . . .

. . . and then there's DJ White, Eric Gordon, Jared Jeffries and Cody Zeller . . .

. . . AJ Moye gets an honorable mention for stuffing Carlos Boozer . . . and Keith Smart gets at least an honorable mention . . .

7_4661324.jpg

. . . I'm tempted to include Derrick Coleman here, but . . .

. . . Guyton was an OK player, but I don't think of him as an all-time type guy.

Oladipo was a fun guy to watch, and has become a better player as a pro than he was in college, which I am all in favor of, given where his skill set started when he came to IU . . . I also think OG Anunoby fits that category as well . . .

. . . my hope is that Juwan Morgan can grow into someone we look back on as fondly as any of these guys . . .

Ohhh and I am remiss at not mentioning Christian Watford . . .

;)

PG Thomas
SG Alford
SF Cheaney
PF McGinnis
C Benson

I agree with this — but I might put Bellamy over Benson. I might not, too. Benson was also a great college basketball player. I never saw Bellamy play. But from what I’ve heard...

Hard to leave Woodson, Buckner, and May off one of these teams, though. But can you really put Buckner over Isiah at PG? I dunno... it’s in the conversation. Isiah was obviously the better pro. But Buckner was the rock of the 75 and 76 teams. An incredible floor leader, defender, etc.

You might not remember Bobby Wilkerson, but any IU greats team isn't complete without him because he really was all that as a defender . . . or Ray Tolbert or Landon Turner or Don Schlundt or Jimmy Rayl or Steve Green or the VanArsdale twins or Tom Abernethy or Steve Downing or Bill Garrett or Dean Garrett (never made that name connection before) or Slick Leonard or Randy Wittman . . . I think I have to include Darryl Thomas . . .

. . . and then there's DJ White, Eric Gordon, Jared Jeffries and Cody Zeller . . .

. . . AJ Moye gets an honorable mention for stuffing Carlos Boozer . . . and Keith Smart gets at least an honorable mention . . .

7_4661324.jpg

. . . I'm tempted to include Derrick Coleman here, but . . .

. . . Guyton was an OK player, but I don't think of him as an all-time type guy.

Oladipo was a fun guy to watch, and has become a better player as a pro than he was in college, which I am all in favor of, given where his skill set started when he came to IU . . . I also think OG Anunoby fits that category as well . . .

. . . my hope is that Juwan Morgan can grow into someone we look back on as fondly as any of these guys . . .

Ohhh and I am remiss at not mentioning Christian Watford . . .

;)
Christian Watford over Eric Anderson? How about Ted Kitchell?

Give him a break...he’s trying. And it’s not a bad team he made, either.

How about UK’s? It doesn’t count if you don’t have Dan Issel on the team. That’s another guy who was a good, but never great, pro. But as a college player, he was fantastic. I also loved (well, as much as I could “love” a UK player) Mashburn and Ron Mercer. As good as Mercer was offensively, he was a tremendous defender.

How about UK’s? It doesn’t count if you don’t have Dan Issel on the team. That’s another guy who was a good, but never great, pro. But as a college player, he was fantastic. I also loved (well, as much as I could “love” a UK player) Mashburn and Ron Mercer. As good as Mercer was offensively, he was a tremendous defender.
McGinnis on the bench.. hes trying

I appreciate the original post. I would probably take about every team from 1975 to 1987 over most of the teams over the past 20 years. Perhaps it is because they were senior dominated teams. Perhaps it is because many of those teams played an era before the three point shot and a shot clock. The game was more cerebral back then and a lot more fun to watch.

I appreciate the original post. I would probably take about every team from 1975 to 1987 over most of the teams over the past 20 years. Perhaps it is because they were senior dominated teams. Perhaps it is because many of those teams played an era before the three point shot and a shot clock. The game was more cerebral back then and a lot more fun to watch.

Or it could be that our teams used to be pretty consistently good from about 1973-1994...and then....

Dan Issel is in the Hall of Fame and scored more than 27,000 points in the ABA and NBA. I think that makes him a better than average player. Have to remember where the six-time ABA all star began his career

Last edited:
Reactions: echs86
I really liked Brian Evans. But....no.

Woodson, on the other hand.....
Brian Evans was the Big 10 MVP in 1996.

My original comparisons were with Christian Watford who was third team all Big Ten his senior season. No slight to Christian. He was a great player.

Dan IsselIs in the Hall of Fame who scored more than 27,000 points in the ABA and NBA.I think that makes him a better than average player. Have to remember where the six-time ABA all star began his career
I said he was good, not great, in the pros. Anthony Davis is already a better pro than Issel ever was. But, in terms of their collegiate careers, I’d go with Issel.

C. Kent Benson/Walt Bellamy/Tolbert/Cody Zeller/Steve Downing
PF. George McGinnis /Turner/Alan Henderson/Jared Jeffries
SF Scott May/Calbert Cheaney/Woodson/Rayl
SG Bobby Wilkerson/Steve Alford/Jay Edwards/Eric Gordon/Randy Wittman/Oladipo
PG Isiah Thomas /Quinn Buckner/McGlothlin

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBing
You have to go on how great a player was at their peak at IU. Not if they played 4 years. In my lifetime, Isiah Thomas, Scott May, and George McGinnis were the best players at IU.

Thomas/ Buckner
Alford/ Woodson/ Gordon
Cheaney/Rayl
May/Henderson/ McGinnis
Bellamy/Benson/Schlundt

Man, the only sure thing to me is Isaiah.

If forced at gunpoint without really thinking about it I'd go...

Thomas
Woodson
Wilkerson
McGinnis
Bellamy

I know keeping Alford and Calbert off the first team is blasphemy but...they were great scorers mainly. Alford was a liability defensively and Calbert (and May) were 15 feet and in scorers.

Plus I think our best pure all everything scorer was Woodson. Not sure if he could shoot the three though but he could score in so many ways.

I'm tempted to switch out Edwards or Gordon for Woodson if Mike can't hit the three.

Put the ball in Isaiah's hands. Give him an elite scorer who can hit the three (Edwards, Gordon, Woodson). Give me the greatest defender in our history in Wilkerson. The man child bull enforcer down low in big George and another defensive and rebounding monster manning the paint in Bellamy.

Calbert, Alford, Henderson, Zeller, Jeffries, Buckner, May, Benson, Wittman, Damon, Jay Edwards and Gordon if I could have them.

Would be tough to get down to 13.

Reactions: Sope Creek
I said he was good, not great, in the pros. Anthony Davis is already a better pro than Issel ever was. But, in terms of their collegiate careers, I’d go with Issel.

I am either too old, you are too young, or I have seen it all!!! Anthony Davis' career doesn't hold a candle to Issel at any point yet. Issel was a dominant scorer and rebounder in the ABA at a position that was loaded with talent!!! Roger Brown, Willie Wise, Julius Erving, Billy Cunningham, George McGinnis, Rick Barry, to name just a few. Issel is in the CBB Hall of Fame, as well as the Naismith HOF as a player. Give me a young Dan Issel, and I will win a ton of games as a coach.

I am either too old, you are too young, or I have seen it all!!! Anthony Davis' career doesn't hold a candle to Issel at any point yet. Issel was a dominant scorer and rebounder in the ABA at a position that was loaded with talent!!! Roger Brown, Willie Wise, Julius Erving, Billy Cunningham, George McGinnis, Rick Barry, to name just a few. Issel is in the CBB Hall of Fame, as well as the Naismith HOF as a player. Give me a young Dan Issel, and I will win a ton of games as a coach.

Well, Issel's best pro years were in the ABA. And, let's face it, the competition there just wasn't what it was -- then or now -- in the NBA. He played 9 years in the NBA after the merger -- and only made the All-Star game once in that span. His career average in 9 NBA seasons was 20/8. AD, for both of these past 2 seasons, averaged a dominating 28/11, to go along with ~2.5 blocks, 2 assists, etc.

I'd be willing to bet that even Dan Issel himself would say that Davis was a better pro.

PG Thomas
SG Alford
SF Cheaney
PF McGinnis
C Benson

Fail.

That team's defense is gonna be mediocre at best - even with Thomas and even with Benson - and IU's best brand of basketball has defense and rebounding at its core . . . so just to be contrary . . .

Thomas
Wittman
Woodson
Turner
Bellamy

Last edited:
Christian Watford over Eric Anderson? How about Ted Kitchell?

Fail.

Context, context, context . . .

Regarding Kitchel, I was thinking about him but I couldn't remember his name when I posted earlier, so yeah, he deserves to be in the conversation . . .

. . . as does Jon McGlocklin . . . .

ADVERTISEMENT