ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Hemenway, thoughts?

6th year senior? I'd take him if he's okay not getting much playing time unless there are injuries. He's from Newburgh, so maybe he just wants to be a Hoosier, even for a year, and he can come in and make a 3 when we need one.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Clemson transfer. Id rather get 2 guys 6'10+, but he can shoot like crazy. If it were up to me Id take him and cut Cupps.
Cupps reminds me of a young john Stockton, just not near as good. wouldn't surprise me if him and bates end up playing on the same team in Estonia one day.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
I’m more intrigued by grad transfer Nikita Konstantynovskyi, rumored to come join the fun.

He started in 32 of 33 games this past season and averaged 9.3 points and 8.1 rebounds per game, while going 53 percent from the floor in 23.5 minutes per contest.

Quite productive for 23.5 minutes a game.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-...es-to-know-monmouths-nikita-konstantynovskyi/

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ith-monmouth-transfer-nikita-konstantynovskyi

https://monmouthhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/nikita-konstantynovskyi/19556

I’m more intrigued by grad transfer Nikita Konstantynovskyi, rumored to come join the fun.

He started in 32 of 33 games this past season and averaged 9.3 points and 8.1 rebounds per game, while going 53 percent from the floor in 23.5 minutes per contest.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-...es-to-know-monmouths-nikita-konstantynovskyi/

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...ith-monmouth-transfer-nikita-konstantynovskyi

https://monmouthhawks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/nikita-konstantynovskyi/19556
Take both, adds the back up big we need and another experienced shooter

Clemson transfer. Id rather get 2 guys 6'10+, but he can shoot like crazy. If it were up to me Id take him and cut Cupps.
I’d say keep Cupps and see what a summer in the gym and weight room does. He is a clever defender, who needs to find his college offense skill set, and execute it consistently. More L’s last season without his minutes … some continuity is good.

Obviously we'll get a big, Hemenway can no doubt shoot it but how does he fit?
YES! Him and Goode would be two Indiana kids who can both shoot and both wanted to be at IU coming out of HS. Nice chip on the shoulder for both kids fighting for IU their final season. I hope he lands at Indiana. Argument will be that Leal is already in place, but Hemenway is better than Leal.

6’10 from Ukraine. Exactly what the doc ordered

I think we’ll see it again … may have the talent to pull it off this year … Having a fresh starting 5 makes a difference 2nd half. At times Galloway seemed gassed last season.

I am learning that woody is a very proud, confident, and stubborn man. Not bad qualities in a bball coach for sure. I say this because I think we can really put stock on how his past teams have been played, and use that to atleast have an educated guess on how this next season plays out.

With way more talent and able bodies on the bench, I see no reason why woody doesn’t play 10 guys regularly for the first few months. With Rice, Kanaan, Newton, and Tucker all in the fold, that could be pretty good. Athletic guards hopefully built on tempo. Fresh legs are good. Just need a back up big that can run. Ballo gonna get in tjd shape this year!!

I’d say keep Cupps and see what a summer in the gym and weight room does. He is a clever defender, who needs to find his college offense skill set, and execute it consistently. More L’s last season without his minutes … some continuity is good.
One thing I'm certain of is that Cupps will work. I thought he was largely fine last year, I just wish he had looked to drive more and get to the foul line. But, if you know he's going to work, he's always done well (AAU and state championships) when surrounded by talent and my making them better. Have we added any?

One thing I'm certain of is that Cupps will work.

Not sure what you consider work, but IMO if he ever plays 20 MPG or more for IU we are not a top 25 team. He is not a power 5 guard unless he becomes a 40%+ volume shooter. He got abused on D this year.

One thing I'm certain of is that Cupps will work. I thought he was largely fine last year, I just wish he had looked to drive more and get to the foul line. But, if you know he's going to work, he's always done well (AAU and state championships) when surrounded by talent and my making them better. Have we added any?
he had problems getting past the defenders he faced

As freshmen are prone to do.
I don’t recall any freshmen fouling a shooter more than Cupps. He did that at least once a game. Infuriated me. Couple that with his lack of athleticism, size, and shooting…. Ya he’s done in my book. Not willing for him to work on getting better on the court for IU.

Not sure what you consider work, but IMO if he ever plays 20 MPG or more for IU we are not a top 25 team. He is not a power 5 guard unless he becomes a 40%+ volume shooter. He got abused on D this year.

Abused on D? Yes, but how's that different than most of the team last season? He wasn't the only one.

Cupps can develop his shot and D. I'd expect that as a Sophomore. But as it stands today, if something happens to Rice, IU will be relying on him again. Let's hope he develops.

What I mean by work, is work hard over the summer. He actually did well running the offense and I know Assembly Call and Tony Andragna said one of the lineups with Cupps was actually our best and one of the best in the country efficiency wise. He did get overwhelmed on D at times by strength, but I thought he was pretty opportunistic in causing turnovers. It's not hard for me to imagine that he improves at the FT line, on 3s and in wringing a little more offense on drives and drawing fouls and then I think he's developed into a solid player. Whether he is starting or backing someone up probably depends on who else is on the roster, but if you pair that with him wanting to be a Hoosier and be here 4 years, I think anyone would be glad to have him. Let's see how he looks this year before passing judgement on him. It's not his fault the roster and lack of depth forced him into so many minutes this year.

Abused on D? Yes, but how's that different than most of the team last season? He wasn't the only one.

Cupps can develop his shot and D. I'd expect that as a Sophomore. But as it stands today, if something happens to Rice, IU will be relying on him again. Let's hope he develops.
Exactly. Everyone talks about depth at guard, which we have in spades, but he (and maybe Rice) are the only true PGs we have, imo. People think because Trey got lots of assists last year he's a PG, but he's not and I think having to run the offense is one of the main reasons why his shooting suffered. I think his shooting % is going to rebound with all the other offensive weapons we'll have this year.

What I mean by work, is work hard over the summer. He actually did well running the offense and I know Assembly Call and Tony Andragna said one of the lineups with Cupps was actually our best and one of the best in the country efficiency wise. He did get overwhelmed on D at times by strength, but I thought he was pretty opportunistic in causing turnovers. It's not hard for me to imagine that he improves at the FT line, on 3s and in wringing a little more offense on drives and drawing fouls and then I think he's developed into a solid player. Whether he is starting or backing someone up probably depends on who else is on the roster, but if you pair that with him wanting to be a Hoosier and be here 4 years, I think anyone would be glad to have him. Let's see how he looks this year before passing judgement on him. It's not his fault the roster and lack of depth forced him into so many minutes this year.
The top 40 line up AC references was due to our big 3. If we insert rice and Kanaan instead of gallo and Cupps would have been a top 15 line up.

Guards is why we stunk. Yes Cupps shouldn’t have had to play that much, but he did, and was not impressive. I don’t see any future in his play. Just my opinion. I’ve been wrong before! But he shouldn’t sniff the floor for a good team is what I saw. I don’t see him improving enough to do so. We shall see.

The top 40 line up AC references was due to our big 3. If we insert rice and Kanaan instead of gallo and Cupps would have been a top 15 line up.

Guards is why we stunk. Yes Cupps shouldn’t have had to play that much, but he did, and was not impressive. I don’t see any future in his play. Just my opinion. I’ve been wrong before! But he shouldn’t sniff the floor for a good team is what I saw. I don’t see him improving enough to do so. We shall see.
Aren’t you the guy that said Tamar Bates was leaving early for the NBA 🤭

Aren’t you the guy that said Tamar Bates was leaving early for the NBA 🤭
Ive been wrong before was stated! That statement was made after watching Tamar in the Bahamas and a bit too much hype of a new coach.

I watched a whole season worth of Cupps, that was plenty for me.

Did someone hack into your account? You've always been the most optimistic dude around here. Amazingly so with Tamar, Geronimo, and X. You were willing to give every one of them (and probably others I can't recall) every break in the book with bold guarantees about future greatness. Why are you so down on a kid that literally got thrown to wolves last year? He might not ever become another Jordy Hulls, but he'll almost certainly be a 4 year contributor.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
Did someone hack into your account? You've always been the most optimistic dude around here. Amazingly so with Tamar, Geronimo, and X. You were willing to give every one of them (and probably others I can't recall) every break in the book with bold guarantees about future greatness. Why are you so down on a kid that literally got thrown to wolves last year? He might not ever become another Jordy Hulls, but he'll almost certainly be a 4 year contributor.
I was off JG bus pretty fast. He has no bball IQ. X got unlucky with his body, Tamar will probably make an SEC all conference team this year. He will play professionally, prob not NBA tho.

Cupps isn't good enough for IU, I thought that was clear as day, guess people didn't see it.

Might not be another Jordy Hulls? The only thing he has in common with Jordy is being a white guard. Jordy would shoot better after 12 beers and a blunt in street clothes than Cupps.

yeah but a minute amount of attempts don't help when he played lots of minutes when X was out.

Agreed. He needs to shoot more. My point is we already have a 10th or 11th man off the bench in Leal and we don't need another in Hemenway. At least Leal knows the offense and defense.

Personally, I'd love to see us fill the last 2 spots with a uncommitted HS center and wing if possible. Like Powell from OH and Crawford from GA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT