ADVERTISEMENT

Rating potential nominees

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
So a blog asks its readers to rate the most likely nominees by both main parties. The February rank is the most recent I see. On the R side, Trump, DeSantis, Sununu, Youngkin, Pompeo are the top 5. The top two switched from January. That sounds pretty good. On the D side, Newsome, Buttigieg, Biden, Harris, Whitmer. That's flat-out silly.

An Indianapolis weatherman once discussed a forecast that contained a record-setting event. He said his meteorology professors said to never predict something that had never happened before. A sitting president does not lose a nomination. Putting a sitting president behind two people that aren't in the race and don't even have exploratory committees spun up? The readers were voting with their hearts, not their heads. Biden isn't the best choice, but anyone else is totally dependent on something going wrong with Biden's health. Not impossible by any means, just not a likely scenario. If it does happen, Harris might well have the incumbency and the lead. If not, Newsome would be most likely to spin up a campaign in days.

Reactions: hoosboot
So a blog asks its readers to rate the most likely nominees by both main parties. The February rank is the most recent I see. On the R side, Trump, DeSantis, Sununu, Youngkin, Pompeo are the top 5. The top two switched from January. That sounds pretty good. On the D side, Newsome, Buttigieg, Biden, Harris, Whitmer. That's flat-out silly.

An Indianapolis weatherman once discussed a forecast that contained a record-setting event. He said his meteorology professors said to never predict something that had never happened before. A sitting president does not lose a nomination. Putting a sitting president behind two people that aren't in the race and don't even have exploratory committees spun up? The readers were voting with their hearts, not their heads. Biden isn't the best choice, but anyone else is totally dependent on something going wrong with Biden's health. Not impossible by any means, just not a likely scenario. If it does happen, Harris might well have the incumbency and the lead. If not, Newsome would be most likely to spin up a campaign in days.
I thought there might be a younger, moderate Dem who would come onto the scene not unlike Clinton or Obama. No such luck to date. Thought it might be Shapiro out of PA but probably way too early for him. Newsom is saddled with CALIFORNIA! stamped all over him which makes him polarizing regardless of the facts or what he says. Buttigieg needs to come back to Indiana and win something. Harris - go take Feinstein's seat (although I really hope Porter wins it). Whitmer? I mean come on.

And, if Trump gets the nomination it will be Biden on the D side 100% unless, as you note, he can't do it physically (well, less than currently).

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Hey Republicans on here: ever hear of this guy? Obviously he has zero name recognition, but what do you WC Repubs think of this?

Vivek is probably the smartest guy in the field. He’s been all over the place on alternative media, podcast after podcast. He even put a clown suit on Don Lemon shortly before he got canned.

In a vacuum I would be happy to vote for him. But this primary I’m voting based on most likely candidate to take down Trump, which will probably be Ron D.

Last edited:
Hey Republicans on here: ever hear of this guy? Obviously he has zero name recognition, but what do you WC Repubs think of this?

He’s an interesting one for sure. The only thing I’ve learned that I don’t like about him, so far, is he’s Indian. ( I know I know, but I have extreme dislike for those greasy fu…. )
He’s smart, says a lot of things that make sense. If the dims started hating him equal to Trump, I might think of voting for him.

I thought there might be a younger, moderate Dem who would come onto the scene not unlike Clinton or Obama. No such luck to date. Thought it might be Shapiro out of PA but probably way too early for him. Newsom is saddled with CALIFORNIA! stamped all over him which makes him polarizing regardless of the facts or what he says. Buttigieg needs to come back to Indiana and win something. Harris - go take Feinstein's seat (although I really hope Porter wins it). Whitmer? I mean come on.

And, if Trump gets the nomination it will be Biden on the D side 100% unless, as you note, he can't do it physically (well, less than currently).
The funny thing is that Biden WAS the younger, moderate Dem in the last election. He's to the right of Newsome and Buttigieg. Probably about in line with Shapiro. Would be better if Biden just stepped aside, but it seems like that wasn't in the cards when Trump announced again.

Reactions: larsIU
The funny thing is that Biden WAS the younger, moderate Dem in the last election. He's to the right of Newsome and Buttigieg. Probably about in line with Shapiro. Would be better if Biden just stepped aside, but it seems like that wasn't in the cards when Trump announced again.
That’s what we expected, but not what we got with Biden

Reactions: larsIU and hoosboot
In reading this thread a question came to mind, "Why would any person with a sound mind want to be President ? "
Power and money. Take Obama for example. He’s worth somewhere around 75 and has done very little to earn it. And, yes, Republicans are just as guilty.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Power and money. Take Obama for example. He’s worth somewhere around 75 and has done very little to earn it. And, yes, Republicans are just as guilty.
If you had a clean past and liked history and gov and all that I think it would be pretty cool.

Reactions: snarlcakes
If you had a clean past and liked history and gov and all that I think it would be pretty cool.
I agree. I used Obama as an example because he came out of nowhere and seems to have a clean history. He went from an upper middle to class lifestyle to one of the wealthiest and most power people on the planet overnight. Unfortunately, we post on here so we’re screwed 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
We’d have to take the “every man” approach
I agree. I used Obama as an example because he came out nowhere and seems to have a clean history. He went from an upper middle to class lifestyle to one of the wealthiest and most power people on the planet overnight. Unfortunately, we post on here so we’re screwed 🤣

We’d have to take the “every man” approach
Donald Trump GIF

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
And yet we look at private sector billionaires and millionaires who want to step into politics with a skeptical eye. I cannot for the life of me understand it.

Give me the person that has more money than the one looking to climb the economic ladder through government service.

There is no nobility in being poor.

In reading this thread a question came to mind, "Why would any person with a sound mind want to be President ? "
After those who'd been a part of the revolution (or Civil War perhaps) were gone, the only ones left were those seeking increased power, prestige, or thought they could change the world.

That those mindsets can all find a resolution in being president of the USA is sometimes frightening.

He’s worth somewhere around 75 and has done very little to earn it
Um. He wasn't worth that when he stepped into the office. And he did pull the trigger on the order to kill bin Laden. Biden was (allegedly) against it due to the less than perfect intelligence on the matter. So when you say "very little", imagine the gravity of that one decision alone.

Nah, I figure if you make it to president and somebody wants you to write a book or be on a board, you earned it.

And yet we look at private sector billionaires and millionaires who want to step into politics with a skeptical eye
As we should anybody who wants the job.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I agree. I used Obama as an example because he came out of nowhere and seems to have a clean history. He went from an upper middle to class lifestyle to one of the wealthiest and most power people on the planet overnight. Unfortunately, we post on here so we’re screwed 🤣

You will not find me adding to the till of retired presidents by buying their books.

Instead borrow them from the public library.

Once drove an author around Indy. Had her book in the backseat from the library. She spotted the book and offered to sign it. To her surprise, passed up the signing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT