ADVERTISEMENT

"I view myself as a bridge"

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
In early March 2020, at a campaign stop in Michigan, Biden commented, "I view myself as a bridge, not as anything else," and then referenced a new generation of leaders that was waiting in the wings. That's not an explicit declaration of a one-term presidency, but it's pretty darned close. I think most people assumed he'd be one (term) and done.

I just checked out a thread from two years ago where I predicted that Biden wouldn't run for reelection, that there would be a crowded and competitive field of Dem candidates, and that Harris would not emerge as the nominee. That wasn't a particularly bold prediction, and there was plenty of agreement.

In accordance with his March 2020 vision, Biden needs to end his campaign for reelection and let a new generation take over. It's pretty late in the game, I think they have to nominate someone other than Harris (because I don't think she can beat Trump) and that may not pretty, I'm not sure how they get to a consensus candidate, but they've got to figure out a way. As someone said last night, this is politics and they can make up or change the rules as they go along.

I believe Whitmer, governor of a key state, would beat Trump. I think Kelly, Senator from a key state, would beat Trump. There are other candidates as well who would destroy him on a debate stage and beat him in November. Gotta get moving, Dems.

In early March 2020, at a campaign stop in Michigan, Biden commented, "I view myself as a bridge, not as anything else," and then referenced a new generation of leaders that was waiting in the wings. That's not an explicit declaration of a one-term presidency, but it's pretty darned close. I think most people assumed he'd be one (term) and done.

I just checked out a thread from two years ago where I predicted that Biden wouldn't run for reelection, that there would be a crowded and competitive field of Dem candidates, and that Harris would not emerge as the nominee. That wasn't a particularly bold prediction, and there was plenty of agreement.

In accordance with his March 2020 vision, Biden needs to end his campaign for reelection and let a new generation take over. It's pretty late in the game, I think they have to nominate someone other than Harris (because I don't think she can beat Trump) and that may not pretty, I'm not sure how they get to a consensus candidate, but they've got to figure out a way. As someone said last night, this is politics and they can make up or change the rules as they go along.

I believe Whitmer, governor of a key state, would beat Trump. I think Kelly, Senator from a key state, would beat Trump. There are other candidates as well who would destroy him on a debate stage and beat him in November. Gotta get moving, Dems.
He was to be the bridge we were all fine with. Old uncle Joe. Bring us together as Obama 2.0. But he got co-opted by the time and the cult and came out vowing to be transformative and did lasting damage. In not insignificant part that emboldened trump and his followers and Desantis types. He’s been a monumentally bad president with the lowest approval rating in modern history and now he’s been exposed as materially diminished. If he wants any semblance of a legacy he needs to bow out

It almost cannot happen. Too many deadlines have passed, I doubt they could get on enough ballots to get enough votes. The delegates are people very loyal to Biden. They won't change convention rules.

It will not happen without Biden stepping aside. I bet people have asked him, cajoled him. Maybe after the report he will be more receptive but I suspect the opposite. I suspect he is angered about the "doesn't remember date of son's death" comment.

Obama's resume was pretty thin too.
I don’t think resumes matter much today. Obama was thin, as you mentioned. Trump’s was also thin and he just kicked DeSantis ass who has a great resume. Also, Biden’s nomination was more, f#ck Bernie Sanders might win, rather than he has a great resume.

Keep Biden unless someone beats him.

I wonder how different this discussion would be today if the Dems weren't obsessed with an affirmative action pick for VP, but instead he'd run with someone like Klobuchar.
This is the real issue. People would feel better voting for Biden if there was a capable VP in place that voters felt comfortable with as President. This insistence on a symbolic VP pick backs them into a corner.

This is the real issue. People would feel better voting for Biden if there was a capable VP in place that voters felt comfortable with as President. This insistence on a symbolic VP pick backs them into a corner.
That’s this batch of Dems. Virtue signaling above quality

Reactions: jet812
Now they are going to back Biden because mentally unfit people need jobs too! It’s more virtue signaling!!!

According to you she Harris is symbolic. I know you do not want Harris in the first place. Harris is honest and very capable not like the gop and the Dem rejects.

According to you she Harris is symbolic. I know you do not want Harris in the first place. Harris is honest and very capable not like the gop and the Dem rejects.

Do you actually believe that Harris is a capable option? I'd suggest that most US voters would disagree based on polling. And isn't that what we're talking about? That is, the voters' comfort with a particular VP potentially assuming the Presidency? That's the pick they need to make in this election as a large percentage of voters will be going into this with an assumption that this VP will likely ascend to the Presidency.

I'm not arguing about the GOP nominee(s). That's a separate, and indefensible, situation.

Reactions: Willdog7
Do you actually believe that Harris is a capable option? I'd suggest that most US voters would disagree based on polling. And isn't that what we're talking about? That is, the voters' comfort with a particular VP potentially assuming the Presidency? That's the pick they need to make in this election as a large percentage of voters will be going into this with an assumption that this VP will likely ascend to the Presidency.

How much has changed since 2020 in that regard? How much thought do people really give to the VP nominee? Would you vote for Trump to avoid a possible President Harris?

He was to be the bridge we were all fine with. Old uncle Joe. Bring us together as Obama 2.0. But he got co-opted by the time and the cult and came out vowing to be transformative and did lasting damage. In not insignificant part that emboldened trump and his followers and Desantis types. He’s been a monumentally bad president with the lowest approval rating in modern history and now he’s been exposed as materially diminished. If he wants any semblance of a legacy he needs to bow out
I absolutely thought he’d be a one term President. I also thought Trump was done forever. Could be a double disaster thought.

It almost cannot happen. Too many deadlines have passed, I doubt they could get on enough ballots to get enough votes. The delegates are people very loyal to Biden. They won't change convention rules.

It will not happen without Biden stepping aside. I bet people have asked him, cajoled him. Maybe after the report he will be more receptive but I suspect the opposite. I suspect he is angered about the "doesn't remember date of son's death" comment.
It absolutely can happen. He can even drop out at the convention. The convention delegates will determine a nominee. That’s their purpose and it will happen even if they select someone who wasn’t in any primaries.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I absolutely thought he’d be a one term President. I also thought Trump was done forever. Could be a double disaster thought.
Hawley is throwing a fit about the 25th Biden. He’s a douche bag but momentum will grow. What many thought of Biden has been revealed

How much has changed since 2020 in that regard? How much thought do people really give to the VP nominee? Would you vote for Trump to avoid a possible President Harris?
I think in most elections it doesn't matter at all. Even in 2020 I don't think it mattered that much. I think in 2024 people, more than probably any election in the last 100 years, see Biden as someone potentially unable to finish a 2nd term. As such the VP pick carries more weight.

I wouldn't vote for Trump under any circumstances. But my choice on the other ticket would dictate whether I voted that way, or simply stayed home. I'd stay home on a Biden/Harris ticket.

I'm not arguing about the GOP nominee(s). That's a separate, and indefensible, situation.
Is comfort how you pick a president? I use qualification and character. You are though most people do not like her hence the bad polling. She suffer from missteps in the beginning, but has done well since.

I think in most elections it doesn't matter at all. Even in 2020 I don't think it mattered that much. I think in 2024 people, more than probably any election in the last 100 years, see Biden as someone potentially unable to finish a 2nd term. As such the VP pick carries more weight.

I wouldn't vote for Trump under any circumstances. But my choice on the other ticket would dictate whether I voted that way, or simply stayed home. I'd stay home on a Biden/Harris ticket.
If you stay home trump wins , and that what the gop want for people to stay home.

It mattered in 1944. Many people suspected that Truman would end up being President, including Truman himself. They hid FDR’s very poor health well, but those in the know knew it was unlikely that FDR would live through the term.

This could be the same for both candidates this time. The VP should matter for both to the voters.

That's essentially voting for Trump. Too many people did that in 2016 and we've seen the result.

I get the scratch or third party "on principle." Did it myself a time or two. But the stakes are too high this time around. Trump has to be defeated. Hold your nose and do what needs to be done.

If you stay home trump wins , and that what the gop want for people to stay home.

Then offer me a better choice. Just because you insist that Harris is smart, virtuous, and capable doesn't mean I think that. Just putting someone out there with a "Not Trump" hat isn't going to get me off the couch.

Besides, I live in Indiana. My vote isn't tipping any elections.

Keep Biden unless someone beats him.
Here's my thinking, Will. Trump must be defeated. This, for me, should be the primary objective. He needs to be relegated to the dustbin of irrelevancy. He needs to be banished to a place where the only things he can fvck up are the pH levels of his pool at Mar-A-Lago or the lock on his prison cell door. Accordingly, the Dems have to go with someone who can beat him. I no longer believe Biden can accomplish that, and I have serious doubts that Harris can. Dems need a fresh face, a well-spoken younger person, who can effectively articulate a positive vision and shred Trump on a debate stage if, in fact, he has the balls to get on one.

That's essentially voting for Trump. Too many people did that in 2016 and we've seen the result.

I get the scratch or third party "on principle." Did it myself a time or two. But the stakes are too high this time around. Trump has to be defeated. Hold your nose and do what needs to be done.
What will happen if Trump wins?

Absolutely absurd. Biden is a vegetable. Nothing happened to you as a result of trump in office. Zero. Your life was cheaper. Your cities safer. And the world less volatile. Beyond stupid

Reactions: stollcpa and jet812
I didn't think we would elect a black President in 2008 either, and freaking Indiana went for Obama. I get a lot of Obama vibes from Shapiro, and don't think him being Jewish would matter to any extent.
I'm talking about his viability as a presidential candidate given the current, post-October 7 climate. It's a hot mess.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
He kind of plays up being Jewish too I think.
I have no problem with that.

Obviously a different religion, but Kennedy got some of that same criticism back in '60, when being Catholic was a negative for a lot of "WASPS" and others. The claim was that he, Joe, Rose, etc., wore their Catholicism on their sleeves, that his religious convictions would come before the national interest, he'd be reporting to the Pope, etc. It was all BS.

Shapiro's highly qualified, and he would help carry a key state (PA) for the Dems. I just don't know that he'd be able to win in places like Georgia, Wisconsin, AZ and other swing states. Hopefully things will be more favorable for him in four or eight years.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT